Young Adult Book Club discussion

Personalized recommendations > What are you reading right now?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 1,189) (1189 new)    post a comment »

Chloe (chloebooklover) | 86 comments Pretty much all the other groups I'm in have a thread for this, so I thought we needed one :)So what are you reading right now? Are you liking it so far, or are really hating it?! Tell us all about it!

Right now I am not really reading anything because I JUST finished The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time  by Mark Haddon. i rated it a 4, but it could have been a 3.

Mona  (k1721m) | 13 comments I'm about to start a FirstReads win, The Unidentified by Rae Mariz.

Chloe (chloebooklover) | 86 comments Looks good, Mona!

message 4: by Mona (last edited Oct 22, 2010 03:55PM) (new)

Mona  (k1721m) | 13 comments I thought so too. We'll see. I want to read and review it quick so I have a good chance of winning more. My last FirstReads win never showed up and I reported it "not received." That one, You, looked good too.

Chloe (chloebooklover) | 86 comments That sounds cool Mona, but I have to admit I'm kind of confused. FirstReads? What are you winning?

Sorry if I'm missing something obvious!!!

message 6: by Mona (last edited Oct 23, 2010 09:13AM) (new)

Mona  (k1721m) | 13 comments Chloe: FirstReads is a program here on GR where authors/publishers offer free copies of their books for readers to review.

Here's how to participate:
1. Across the top of the page click on "find books"
2. Click on "giveaways"
3. Click on "more giveaways" (located underneath the rows of displayed covers)

You can only enter once per book but you can enter for as many books as you want. And new books are available every month. When you click on "enter to win" you will see the terms and conditions. If you win, you will get an email letting you know and it takes about 4-6 weeks to get the book in the mail(it usually doesn't take that long). When you get it, report it "received" and vice versa. It's a good idea to read and post a review of your winning book within a reasonable amount of time. It will up your chances of winning more.

I've only been a member of GR since April 2010 and have already won 4 times. Check it out, it's absolutely free :). The only cost is your time to enter the giveaway and to read/review the book.

Enjoy :)

Chloe (chloebooklover) | 86 comments Thanks Mona! I am so glad you told me about this! I will go check it out right now!

Mona  (k1721m) | 13 comments You're welcome :). While you're looking into that, have you heard about freebookfriday.com and freebookfridayteen.com? You just do a quick sign up at the sites and then enter every week(easy and quick) to win free books. Each site gives away multiple autographed copies of a book each week. You find out on Friday(hence the name) if you win and they feature a new book on Saturday.

I have been entering for a while and haven't had any luck yet.

Chloe (chloebooklover) | 86 comments Hi :) Happy to say that I entered myself for a ton of awesome looking books in FirstReads. So happy! Oh, and yes I participate in freebookfriday. Cool idea :) Thanks for everything, and good luck!!! :P

Mona  (k1721m) | 13 comments Good luck to you too Chloe :). BTW, there is a thread for FirstReads in the TNBBC group.

message 11: by Chloe (last edited Oct 24, 2010 06:12AM) (new)

Chloe (chloebooklover) | 86 comments Thanks Mona! ....

So, I just finished Someone Like You, but I can't decide what to read next! :)

Tesni (okayfrancis) I'm currently reading Dance, Dance, Dance by Haruki Murakami. It's pretty interesting.

Mona  (k1721m) | 13 comments Chloe wrote: "Thanks Mona! ....

So, I just finished Someone Like You, but I can't decide what to read next! :)"

Hi Chloe: I just started reading The Unidentified but I'm not very far so it's hard to tell. I often have a hard time deciding what to read next. It depends on my mood and what needs to go back to the library.

Chloe (chloebooklover) | 86 comments I decided to read Bad Apple - Bad Apple by Laura Ruby. I'm only on page 20, but I'm already finding it kind of weird :(

Mona  (k1721m) | 13 comments Weird, how Chloe? I read the blurb. It sounds ok.

Chloe (chloebooklover) | 86 comments Mona: Honestly it's hard to describe, but I guess what I mean is that the character is pretty weird, and I'm finding it hard to identify with her. Right now I feel like it's just a story. I need to connect with the story to really find life in it, you know? It isn't awful really, just sort of bland. I suppose thats weird since the main character is about as far from bland as you can get, but so far I really only know vague details about the plot, and I am finding her and her friend very unconvinving. I had high hopes for this book. I'm only on page 60, so hopefully it will get better.

How's your book going?

Jessica (BookWormLove666) | 9 comments I have Someone Like You on my shelf of to-read (eventually anyway) was it good? I can't wait to read it, I think it'll be my first Sarah Dessen book, unless I pick up one of the other ones on my shelf first haha. I'm still reading Audrey, Wait! and I love it, and I'm almost done it =) I'm moving on to Forgive My Fins next though, I can't wait for that one.

Chloe (chloebooklover) | 86 comments Jessica: When I started Someone Like You, I hated it. I returned it to the library and pretty much vowed to never pick it up again! But then I was at my library, and in a bit of rut because I had left the book I was reading at home, so I thought I'd give it another go. I finished it the next morning, and rated it 5 stars in Goodreads. I absolutely ADORE that book! Just give it a chance and it really gets better fast. I've read one other book by Sarah Dessen - Keeping the Moon. It was okay but not a favourite. My friend read That Summer and absolutely detested it. Is Audrey, Wait! good? It was recomended to me, but I never did pick it up :P

★ Jess I am currently re-reading all the Potter books before I see the Deathly Hallows film.
I am half way through Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets at the moment.

Mona  (k1721m) | 13 comments Chloe wrote: "Mona: Honestly it's hard to describe, but I guess what I mean is that the character is pretty weird, and I'm finding it hard to identify with her. Right now I feel like it's just a story. I need to..."

Chloe: My book is going really slow. I haven't really dug in yet. This always happens with my FirstReads. I take a while to get into it but once I do...

Also, I have other books I would honestly prefer to read right now. I just went to the library today and picked up some good ones that I had reserved(and some off the shelf) that I'm looking forward to.

I have tons of stuff to read and have a really bad habit of picking up more than I possibly have time for and they get returned unread(and, in the case of movies, unwatched).

Chloe (chloebooklover) | 86 comments Mona, I have the exact same problem! I always bite off way more than I can chew, and it sucks sometimes when I have soooo many books I want to read all at once :P

Booklover: Wow, you must be a hardcore fan! I never could get into that series! Are you excited for the movie?

Mona  (k1721m) | 13 comments Yes, it's a real problem Chloe. Right now I have a pile of books on my nightstand and 2 dresser drawers full of possible to-read-nexts.

Chloe (chloebooklover) | 86 comments Mona, I completely know how you feel! Sometimes its a gift, other times not so much....

Mona  (k1721m) | 13 comments Chloe wrote: "Mona, I completely know how you feel! Sometimes its a gift, other times not so much...."

Chloe, whenever I go to the library, I go online first to make sure I'm returning everything I need to. Then I see this book on the list that needs to go back and think geez, I didn't remember I had that. I should have read it when I had the chance.

If I see it on the shelving cart, I check it out again, put it in the drawer, forget about it again...

Roshini | 79 comments Chloe wrote: "Jessica: When I started Someone Like You, I hated it. I returned it to the library and pretty much vowed to never pick it up again! But then I was at my library, and in a bit of rut because I had l..."

Haven't read Someone Like You but I have read That Summer, and didn't like it very much, probably because the first Sarah Dessen book I read was The Truth about Forever and that sort of set the bar. Reading Just Listen again now.

Scribble Orca (ScribbleOrca) Booklover23 wrote: "I am currently re-reading all the Potter books before I see the Deathly Hallows film.
I am half way through Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets at the moment."

Now that is a good idea. :D

Chloe (chloebooklover) | 86 comments Bad Apple by Laura Ruby is starting to pick up...

Brenda (brlemon) | 149 comments I don't know if reading the Harry Potter books right before the movie is such a good idea. I found the Harry Potter movies I was most disappointed in where when I had just re-read the book before I went to see it. So I was focused more on what they left out and what they changed than on just enjoying the movie.

I would recommend that you re-read all of the book EXCEPT for the last one.....then watch the movie. When the movie is over, than you can re-read the 7th book.

Just my own opinion. BTW: I keep all of those books by my bedside and if I need something to read, I simply grab one off the pile and open it up to a page at random. I have read the books so many times that it doesn't matter where I start but just revisiting some of the scenes calms me down and brings me back to my "happy place."

Scribble Orca (ScribbleOrca) HP tends to have that effect, doesn't it! :D

Chloe (chloebooklover) | 86 comments finished Bad Apple by Laura Ruby, think I'm gonna start Killer (Pretty Little Liars, #6) by Sara Shepard. Excited :)

Brittany (noyougirls) Reading Dracula in Love by Karen Essexafter that I have no idea.

message 32: by Tatiana (last edited Oct 28, 2010 05:33AM) (new)

Jessica (BookWormLove666) | 9 comments Chloe: Audrey, Wait! was soo good! It's very predictable, but I loved it. Killer is amazing though, I think it was the best one in the series to that point, but then again, the PLL series only got better with every book. I have Keeping the Moon on my to read list, I'm not sure when I'll get that one though, I have Sara Dessen's "The Truth About Forever" and I think I'm going to start that one when I get through a couple more of my current reads.

I just started Forgive My Fins by Tera Lynn Childs, and I just picked up I Heart You, You Haunt Me from my library today, so I'm going to start that tonight after my class =).

Roshini | 79 comments Tatiana wrote: "Amy & Roger's Epic Detour
Amy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson
Cute."

I really want to read this. Two things I love in books - road trips and music.

Tatiana (tatiana_g) | 585 comments Then it's up your alley, Roshini. It has plenty of both

Chloe (chloebooklover) | 86 comments Jessica: You have really inspired me with Audrey, Wait! I think I just might have to put it on hold from my library!!! Forgive my Fins sounds interesting too!

message 37: by Scribble (last edited Oct 29, 2010 05:10AM) (new)

Scribble Orca (ScribbleOrca) The Complete Sherlock Holmes  All 4 Novels & 56 Short Stories by Arthur Conan Doyle

A lot of YA is very emotionally intense. What I like about Sherlock Holmes is being able to observe the behaviours arising out of strong emotions without being caught up in the feelings....

Crystalmarie (CrystalsNovels) Well i started the Hunger Games.....and.....(*Ducks & Covers*) i dont get what the big deal is? Is it just me?
Dont get me wrong, it's a great book.....people say its the next "Twilight" (popularity wise) and i simply do not see that.
I like it yes, love it- nahh. I am only about 1/3 into the book, and its nothing that keeps me yearning for more.

Chloe (chloebooklover) | 86 comments Crystalmarie: I understand if you don't like the book. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions... However, I adore the book! I do urge you to keep reading it and then make your final judgement at the end. It does pick up quickly once you get to the halfway point I found. But I will admit, although I loved the first one, I have the second one sitting on my shelf and I am not that eager to read it...

Pamela ☼everythings cheesy☼ Tee (Pam_T) | 32 comments Okay, I'm going through a 'dry spell' and am in between books. Sooo, I'm reading the Saga of Erik the Red.

[I hate dry spells. I don't understand them, why sometimes it's hard to find the right book.]

Chloe (chloebooklover) | 86 comments I know Pam, I hate dry spells too.... But I hope your book goes well!

Pamela ☼everythings cheesy☼ Tee (Pam_T) | 32 comments Chloe wrote: "I know Pam, I hate dry spells too.... But I hope your book goes well!"

Thanks Chloe. I'm heading off to the library today to look for books on Thanksgiving. Maybe something on the 'Newly Arrived' shelf will get me out of my funk.

Rollie (zheick) | 9 comments is currently reading catching fire by suzanne collins..

Roshini | 79 comments Tatiana wrote: "Then it's up your alley, Roshini. It has plenty of both"

Went looking for it the other day, but couldn't find a copy. This always happens to me when I really want to read something. Just finished Return to Paradise (Leaving Paradise, #2) by Simone Elkeles. Nice, but not as good as Leaving Paradise (Leaving Paradise, #1) by Simone Elkeles

message 45: by Brenda (last edited Nov 01, 2010 08:55AM) (new)

Brenda (brlemon) | 149 comments Hunger Games does take a while to "get into." The action doesn't really start until after the contest begins. So I can see why some people may be turned off initially by the book.

I just finished reading Ship Breaker. It was a fast high-action book that I can see a lot of YA's enjoying. However, after reading so many dystopia books....I really need a good comedy so I don't get too depressed.

Ship Breaker

Roshini | 79 comments I've just started Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta and have joined the ranks of those confused by the first few pages.

Tatiana (tatiana_g) | 585 comments Roshini, hang in there. It will all come together.

Brenda (brlemon) | 149 comments I agree with Tatiana.....Jellicoe Road is one of those small "slow burn" type of books. Many different characters and themes that all come together at the end....

Karla (bookarita) | 4 comments I'm reading The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest and as soon as I'm done a need a YA fix have been reading heavy adult reads since Mockingjay so I'm going to start Graceling

Crystalmarie (CrystalsNovels) Chloe wrote: "Crystalmarie: I understand if you don't like the book. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions... However, I adore the book! I do urge you to keep reading it and then make your final judgement a..."

Thanks, i will finish the book regardless. Maybe its because i have never read a book like this before, and its not my cup of tea. I like it, but i dont know if i will run out and get the second book. With the way everyone was raving about it, i assumed it would be grand - i set my standards to high. to be honest, its a bit boring.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 23 24