SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

Getting to Know You > Did You Know ....?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 94) (94 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 19996 comments I was looking over our quickly growing member list and smiling. How wonderful it is to see so many people who share my love of and addiction to PNR & UF serials. Then I started thinking how nice it would be to get to know everyone better and how hard a task that would be.

So, I've come up with this thread, Did you know ...?, to help out with that. :)

Is there something strangely unique or uniquely strange about cha that you'd like to share?

You're posts can, but don't have to be, book-related, I'll go first to get us started.

Did you know ... I can count to ten in three languages {Japanese, Spanish & French}, other than English?

message 2: by Jackie M (new)

Jackie M | 695 comments Did you know... I have three daughters and there is a 16 year gap between the oldest and the youngest?

message 3: by Amber (new)

Amber (CRAZYABOUTBOOKS) | 499 comments Did you know...I have have 5 younger siblings and there is 18 years between me and my baby sister?

message 4: by Angi (new)

Angi | 429 comments Did you know .... I have lived in 5 countries? (US, Lithuania, Moldova, Bulgaria, and Hungary!) and of those 5, 4 have been in just the past 7 years :)

message 5: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 19996 comments JackieM, WOW! I guess your oldest can help babysit for some alone time, yah? That's cool.

Amber, WOW on the flip side. :) Does everyone get along well? I have 1 baby sister, 6 yrs younger, and growing up she drove me batty. Took a while for us to become friends.

Angi, I SO miss looking forward to living in another country. Oki will be our last, most likely. :( Maybe I just need to get me a State job and J can follow ME around for a while. LOL!

message 6: by Amber (new)

Amber (CRAZYABOUTBOOKS) | 499 comments For the most part we all get along and when we don't I just go home HEHE. I feel for her some times though because she sometimes gets two moms when I'm over because theirs only 5years difference between my oldest son and her.

message 7: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 19996 comments That would be cool (extra sibling) and hard (extra mom). LOL :)

message 8: by Angi (last edited Oct 19, 2010 11:37PM) (new)

Angi | 429 comments I so understand that Steph. It's the same for us.. I get so excited about living in another country. I think my mom conditioned me for this life when she moved us all around our town.... always the same town but a different part of it every few years lol. Now we are debating to go back to the states after this, Gracie will start high schoo l(yikes!!!) or stay out. I think it all depends on the opportunities at the time. If it's a good job with good schools... we would probably say over.

BTW I SO agree... I think the husband should totally follow you around that way you can continue your expact life :) If you go back to the states - where will you be?

message 9: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 19996 comments My grandfather is a retired Marine and my grandma has to rearrange her house, paint or buy new furniture every 3-4 years after 20+ with him in the USMC. I have a feeling I'll be a lot like that. LOL! OR I'll be draggin' J along for the ride instead of visa versa.

I have NO idea where we'll go, if we have to head back to the states. J prefers cold, secluded and I prefer warm, at least near a city w/mountains AND beach. We shall see! Should be an interesting coupl'a yrs while we try to figure it all out.

message 10: by Angi (last edited Oct 19, 2010 11:58PM) (new)

Angi | 429 comments Sounds like it will be a lot of fun and excitement for you guys even once you head back! Deciding where you want to live and so many options... for some reason I think that sounds like SO much fun! Probably b/c I've been conditioned for it (as have you!) lol

message 11: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 19996 comments Yeah, we're excited, nervous, lost .... LOL! He'll be able to retire in early 2013, so we need to pick a spot before then. Sounds like a long time to choose, but when your 1,000s of miles away (thank goodness for the internet!) and only got one shot (USMC will move all our stuff once) it's a bit overwhelming. I kinda prefer 3-4 yrs in a remote country to that. LOL! We'll see. :)

message 12: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (last edited Oct 20, 2010 12:09AM) (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 19996 comments Did you know ... although I'm left-handed, I play every single sport, I know how to play, right-handed (because all my trainers/teachers were right-handed)?

message 13: by Shelleyrae (last edited Oct 21, 2010 04:39PM) (new)

Shelleyrae at Book'd Out | 346 comments I'm just not that interesting lol

Did you know... I qualify for Mensa membership

message 14: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 19996 comments What?! Not that interesting? K, how 'bout that SMART! Dang, girl! That's awesome, congrats ... on your big brain. :) I mean that in the absolute nicest way possible b/c I'm always sayin' my schoolin' must'a been deleted to make room for random nonsense. LOL (at myself)!

message 15: by Shelleyrae (new)

Shelleyrae at Book'd Out | 346 comments Lol Steph, I think I've been rapidly shedding brain cells since I took that test (pre kids). Don't know if I'd make it now :) But honestly I'm pretty boring :)

message 16: by Brandi ;) (new)

Brandi ;) (Clairadncr) | 14 comments Did you know... I'm not a blonde anymore! After 13 yrs of turning my brown to blonde, I decided to go back to my roots. Scared my hubby the day i did it cause I didn't tell anyone, just got the proverbial 'wild hair' and went and did it. Need to change my pic now I guess :)

message 17: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 19996 comments LOL Shelleyrae. Yeah, I've heard sometimes mom's braincells are transferred to baby. At least that what my SIL keeps saying. LOL!

Hope you're enjoying the "new you"! :)

message 18: by Regina (new)

Regina (ReginaR) | 2720 comments Did you know that I am a mom of 4 kids, the last one was born at home and that I am a lawyer but hate it and would rather be reading UF. :)

Brandi I can't wait to see your new 'do! Steph are you now amidexterous?

message 19: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 19996 comments Regina, was your home delivery planned or accidental? I hear ya on the reading vs working.

Only in certain things. I can bat left and right-handed but better right-handed. I've been "forced" over the years to do somethings like cut with scissors and use some kitchen utensils that are made for right handed people. We've gotten used to it. My hubby's left-handed too. :)

message 20: by Vivian (new)

Vivian (_vivian) | 1663 comments Steph, scissors were the bane of my existence as a left-handed first grader! Then, I realized I could just cut with my right hand and got over it. Left-handedness people are adaptable ;)

Still use my right hand to cut, as well as a few other things. I also took up knitting recently and was taught right-handed, but then switched over to the left-hand (not that it makes a big difference, but I decided I was tired of conforming, hehe).

message 21: by Regina (new)

Regina (ReginaR) | 2720 comments It was planned. :)

message 22: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 19996 comments Sure was, Vivian! LOL! My teachers kept trying to get me to switch and I eventually did (cutting). My grandmother taught me to knit right-handed and I've always wanted to teach myself left-handed so it'll be more comfortable, but haven't made the time. :)

LMAO, Regina! It's most definitely a right-handed world. And we lefties have learned to adapt. I did once find a lefty store, which was so much fun, but didn't buy anything. Figured I already manage with right-handed stuff, but it was cool to see and celebrate lefties.

Did you know .... My favorite lefty saying is:
"If the right side of the brain controls the left of the body . . . Then only left-handed people are in their right minds." :)

message 23: by Vivian (new)

Vivian (_vivian) | 1663 comments Steph wrote: "Did you know .... My favorite lefty saying is:
"If the right side of the brain controls the left of the body . . . Then only left-handed people are in their right minds." :) "

Love it! Haven't heard that one before.

Did you know international left handed day is August 13th?

message 24: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 19996 comments I didn't know that. WooHoo! We have a Day! :D I'll have to try to remember to do something extra leftyish next year. LOL!

message 25: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 5662 comments Hmm...want to join in, but can't think of interesting about me rather than my circumstances! But sure fun to read everyone's comments :D

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 1834 comments Did you know...I'm distantly related to Robert Burns? Okay so there are probably a couple of thousand other people who could claim the same but I still think it's cool being related to Scotland's national poet who wrote Auld Lang Syne which we sing every New Years' but what really embarrassed me was studying something of his at school and thinking it really boring -oops. I just dissed family, LOL!

message 27: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 19996 comments LOL!

That's very cool, Ames. I'll be thinking about you every NYE from now on.

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 1834 comments My mother reminded me of this the other day.

Did you know... that as a big Buffy fan I made my very own Mr. Pointy (Buffy's favourite stake) at high school and snuck it home. I brought it out every time Buffy came on and pretended to dust my very own vamps! Oh, the shame!

message 29: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 19996 comments LOL! I would've loved to have been a fly on the wall. Too cute!

message 30: by Irene (new)

Irene Hollimon | 31 comments Did you know... Guilty Pleasures (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #1)  by Laurell K. Hamilton is one of my guilty pleasures.

I've talked to my psychiatrist about it. He says I shouldn't worry. He says reading vampire and werewolf books is just as good for your brain as reading something like War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy. I'm not sure I really believe him but I do feel a little bit better about my guilty pleasure. And so really don't want to read War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy.

message 31: by Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (last edited Nov 17, 2010 02:43PM) (new)

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 1834 comments Irene, I wouldn't want to read War and Peace either! I'd probably fall asleep on page 1. It's not my thing. Vamps and weres are fun. I felt guilty about it initially too but now the more the better, especially after joining Goodreads and finding those with the same tastes as me. :)

message 32: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 19996 comments Exactly! Here, at SOS, we don't fret that we know the best way to take down vamps and which shifters are the hottest. We revel in it. :)

Goodreads is the best place for bookies to feel right at home no matter what your favorite genre or guilty pleasures. Someone on here, probably a boatload of someones, loves the same things as you do.

message 33: by Irene (new)

Irene Hollimon | 31 comments I actually did read Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy. I wanted to throw mySELF under the train before the end of that book.

message 34: by Vivian (new)

Vivian (_vivian) | 1663 comments LOL Irene. I'd say your psych was right on the money.

On that note, did you know Anna Karenina was the #1 book I put on my TBR?
I actually REALLY want to finish it, have started it twice now, but just haven't been able to commit to the entire book. Must be getting distracted by all those vamps and weres ;)

message 35: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 19996 comments I've been interested in that book too, Vivian. Never attempted to read it, but it's been on my "maybe one day" list with a bunch of other classics that I just don't make time to read.

message 36: by Kerstin (new)

Kerstin | 904 comments I actually don't mind a classic every now and then, but I do stick to the shorter ones ;) Can't stay away from my vamps and shifters and romances for too long!

message 37: by Lady Jaye (new)

Lady Jaye (lady-jaye) | 379 comments i'm left handed but write with my right hand -side effect of being smacked in school whenever i picked up a pencil with my left :(
People don't realize that and so it really surprises them when they notice i do everything else with my left, haha.

message 38: by Jane W (new)

Jane W | 20 comments I can’t believe they smacked you for being left handed! I’m glad that never happened to me. Instead they focused on making me feel bad because my handwriting slanted the “wrong” way.

Cindy (eclecticfirefly) (Eclecticfirefly) | 1237 comments That is terrible! Glad it didn't happen to me....I'm left handed too! Sure are lots of us around here. The biggest problem I remember having was when I was trying to learn how to embroider from my right handed Mother. We finally figured out that if I sat directly across from her, I could mirror what she was doing and it would work!

message 40: by Lady Jaye (new)

Lady Jaye (lady-jaye) | 379 comments @Jane and Cindy - among many ethnic groups in Ghana it is taboo to use your left hand, esp back in the day, so unless parents were extremely vocal (most weren't), all us lefties got this treatment. not so much now with writing, but with other things, say handing stuff to people with your left hand, you still get in a lot of trouble. it's tough being a lefty out there, lol.

Cindy (eclecticfirefly) (Eclecticfirefly) | 1237 comments I do everything left handed except throw a ball. Don't ask me why I throw right handed, I just do!

message 42: by Lady Jaye (new)

Lady Jaye (lady-jaye) | 379 comments :)

message 43: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (DawnV) Did you know that I asked friends in other states to share their library card numbers with me so I can borrow e-books because my library does not carry a lot of urban fantasy or sci-fi.

message 44: by Lady Jaye (new)

Lady Jaye (lady-jaye) | 379 comments :D at Dawn

message 45: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 19996 comments Smart, Dawn :D And, nice friends!

message 46: by Don (Mad Davy) (new)

Don (Mad Davy) (donalbane26) | 92 comments Did you know... Lefty's Rule! I am predominantly left handed. I bat and golf right handed, though. Odd, I know. I adapted to using right handed scissors but use them in my left hand.

:~D

message 47: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 19996 comments That they do, Don! I'm a lefty too! I also play sports right-handed because all my teachers were right-handed and that's the only way they could teach me. I never bothered trying to switch. I had to adjust to rh scissors, but I use them with my rh. Whenever I have a mouse at a computer, I move it to the left and have trained myself to use the buttons for rh people instead of switching the settings. My hubby is lh too. The thing we hate the most in the rh world are cooking tools. They are ALL made for rh people. We should open a lefty kitchenware shop! :D

Cindy (eclecticfirefly) (Eclecticfirefly) | 1237 comments YAY!!!! More lefty's! Only left handed people are in their right minds.....or so they say.

I do everything left handed except throw and catch a ball. Softball was always hard for me, cuz I want to catch and throw with the same hand!

I always use scissors in my left hand. Just try and get the ones that don't have an obvious right handed slant to the handles.

message 49: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 19996 comments :) LOL! I can just see ya trying to catch, remove glove and throw.

Cindy (eclecticfirefly) (Eclecticfirefly) | 1237 comments Yeah....doesn't work very well. Add that to the fact that I've never been athletic, it wasn't a pretty picture!

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

War and Peace (other topics)
Guilty Pleasures (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #1) (other topics)
Anna Karenina (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Robert Burns (other topics)