Chicks On Lit discussion

Favorite Fantasy Novels

Comments (showing 1-50 of 57) (57 new)    post a comment »

Tabatha | 47 comments The Cleric Quintet by R.A. Salvatore
The Dark Elf Trilogy by R.A. Salvatore
Sword of truth books 1 and 2 by Terry Goodkind (as I haven't read the entire series yet)
The eye of the world by Robert Jordan (Not much for the rest of the series though, the firsts the only one that snagged me, I lost interest by book 4)
Harry Potter Books 3 and 5.

Holli I agree Lyla......Robert Jordan had a good thing going until about Book 5....I lost interest around there although i still wonder what happened to those people!! LOL Didn't he die? I heard he did.........I could be wrong though

message 3: by Peanut (last edited Jul 16, 2008 08:30AM) (new)

Peanut | 149 comments I like Terry Brooks books.

Some of Neil Gaiman's books are incredible (especially Neverwhere).

Faerie Tale by Raymond Feist was great, too.

Thressa | 43 comments Harry Potter
The Lord of the Rings
The Hobbit
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

Andrea (AndreaG) | 74 comments Terry Pratchett's Discworld Series!
Especially the Granny Weatherwax books, or anything with Sam Vimes... or Death...

Sarah (slkmcb) | 36 comments Sara Douglass "Wayfarer Redemption" series. In the USA they are sold as 6 separate books.
It starts with Wayfarer Redemption and then Enchanter, starman, sinner, pilgrim and crusader.
I am not a fantasy reader. But I could not put these down.
in australia they are known as the Axis triogy and the wayfarer trilogy.
They are AMAZING. well told, well written. she is a brilliant author.
i highly recommend them.

Tabatha | 47 comments Holli - Yes he did die. So it's worthless to even start the series if you do like finishing series. I was never much for finishing series anyhow. I leave a lot of series open ended because I just hate when things are over.

Peanut - I've wanted to get into Terry Brooks but have so much left to check out. I also have a few books by Raymond Feist I'd like to get into.

Thressa - I could never get into lord of the rings, especially not after the boring movies that put me to sleep. But I've wanted to read the Lion the witch and the wardrobe

Andrea - I've been wanting to look into reading Discworld, but have yet to get around to it.

Amanda (randymandy) | 467 comments Can I just say a resounding "YES" to pretty much every post in this thread??? Because I totally agree with most everything in here (though I haven't read them all--Jordan or Brooks, for example.)

I'd like to add: Charles de Lint! Oh baby, oh baby, I LOOOOOVE me some Charles de Lint. I own pretty much every fantasy book he's written for adults, one or two he's written for kids, but I won't buy his horror stuff. Anyway, I'm rambling now (yeah, big surprise...), but The Onion Girl and Memory and Dream are my favorites, followed by Someplace to Be Flying.

Holli I read Robert Jordan's books up until Book 5 but I doubt I'll finish them....I did read on his website though that he left enough notes for them to finish his last book for him in his Wheel of Time series so that's good!!

Faith Quick (FaithBQuick) | 39 comments yeah amanda!
i love charles de lint too! i own pratically ever book he has written! the onion girl and someplace to be flying and wild woods are my favorite!

i also agree with all the other fantasy books! i also love the meq series by steve cash and peter pan by barrie!

Tabatha | 47 comments Amanda - I've never heard of Charles de Lint. Is he old or new? Also whats wrong with horor?

Holli - Yeah but just cus he left notes for them to finish them doesn't mean they will be as good or up to par with what he's already written. Different people write differently.

Faith - Also never heard of Steve Cash, and have yet to read Peter Pan, it appears my list of to reads is growing out of control! LOL

Holli I certainly realize that Lyla......very true......just an observation about Robert Jordan! :)

Amanda (randymandy) | 467 comments Lyla, de lint has been around since the eighties, and he's still writing. Supposedly, he has a new book coming out later this year. Supposedly... Nothing wrong with horror, I just don't like scary stuff. I know zillions of people who go gaga over horror movies, etc. But good grief, I just get sooooo scared! :) WARNING: this next sentence is gross! I bought Angel of Darkness and in the first chapter someone got their skin peeled off. EW!!!!!!!!!! And OUCH! I took it back to the store. It was horrible.

Faith, your book shelf and mine must look exactly alike! I keep all my delints together on the dresser in my bedroom--all my other books are in my "library" on shelves.

Carrie (missfryer) | 530 comments Of course, Tolkein is fantastic.
I love Pullman's HIS DARK MATERIALS trilogy!!

Tabatha | 47 comments Amanda - That's nothing my teacher once told me a story about how these women were all skinned alive and they were all screaming and one of the women managed to roll off the bed and underneath and she survived. Only to go clinically insane. I don't know if it was a true story. But it was fucked up.

Therese | 60 comments I'm not much into fantasy...except for Harry Potter.

Amanda (randymandy) | 467 comments Ew. ew ew ew ew ew!!!!!!!!! And OUCH!
I'd go insane, too. Wouldn't you? Oh my god. I know it might sound morbid, but there's a part of me that would rather be killed than have to endure a life of pain, disfigurement, and loneliness as a result. God it's just so awful!

Amanda (randymandy) | 467 comments Lyla, I just looked at your profile! You've read Fingersmith! Not many people have read Fingersmith, but it was twisty and awesome, wasn't it?!?!? I saw it listed in some 1001 books you must read before you die list and I thought, "really?????" I was surprised it would make a list. I only happened to pick it up at a library sale once. I'd never heard of it, but it was a buck...

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 369 comments Neverwhere by Neil Gaimain

I'm trying to read more fantasy though. I haven't read much.

message 20: by AJ (new)

AJ (Anersword) | 121 comments I highly recommend the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson starting with Mistborn: The Final Empire. I liked the series for multiple reasons but mostly because it was emotionally engaging, done in 3 books, and it had a female heroine!!

Misty Dupuis | 118 comments Loved Harry Potter. I enjoyed the Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn series by Tad Williams. I also enjoyed the Terry Brooks books that I've read.

Harper (harperbell) I have a lot of fantasy on my TBR list, but out of what I have read, these are my faves:

Fantasy
-Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling
-Sevenwaters Series by Juliet Marillier, especially
Daughter of the Forest and Son of the Shadows.
-The Black Jewels Trilogy by Anne Bishop
-The Tairen Soul Series by C.L. Wilson
-The Hero and the Crown and Deerskin by Robin McKinley

Urban Fantasy
-War for the Oaks by Emma Bull
-Soulless by Gail Carriger
-The Autumn Castle by Kim Wilkins
-Sunshine by Robin McKinley

Sarah (sarahmay3) | 830 comments Mercedes Lackey does a series called the 500 Kingdoms, and those books are pretty good...a little heavy on the romance-side for fantasy.

Also, I like Ursula le Guin. Not sure if she's considered sci-fi or fantasy, but I like her.

Stacie | 32 comments All Neil Gaiman books, but Neverwhere is my favorite. Glad others agree on that one. It is just fantastic.

I also really like Good Omens by Terry Pratchett.

Thanks for all the suggestions, i am going to check into quite a few of them.

Sonja (crvena_sonja) | 305 comments Sarah - Ursula Le Guin writes sci-fi and fantasy. I LOVE the Wizard of Earthsea books. My dad has an old copy with the first 3 of them together, so I've read those a lot, and should re-read them soon. I really like that her writing is so clean; its something that can be a problem for fantasy writers.

Some of my other favorites include:
Tolkein - I've only read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings trilogy though. I'm told theres a lot more...
Neil Gaiman - Stardust is absolutely fantastic! Also the Sandman books, they're graphic novels and I highly recommend them.
Terry Pratchett - I totally agree with Amanda about the stories with the witches. They are some of my favorites but I just love the Discworld. Pratchett writes satire/parody of our world which is truly hilarious!

These are my favorite authors but I see some on others' lists here that I've been meaning to read. Thank goodness the school year is almost over...

message 26: by Usako (last edited Apr 22, 2010 09:30AM) (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 654 comments You never can go wrong with...
* Mercedes Lackey - <3 all her series
* J.R.R. Tolkien - SQUEE
* Terry Pratchett - Discworld Joy
* Andre Norton - Love her Elvenblood series
* Marion Zimmer Bradley - MUST READS! She created the MZB Fantasy Magazine and was a mentor to many fantasy writers. If you haven't read a book by her, do so immediately!
* Neil Gaiman - I am in love with Good Omens
* Juliet Marillier - Daughter of the Forest is fantastic!
* The Last Unicorn - Timeless classic
* Ladyhawke - Another classic
* A Wrinkle in Time - Awesome series

message 27: by Elena (last edited Apr 22, 2010 05:33PM) (new)

Elena | 129 comments Sarah wrote: "Sara Douglass "Wayfarer Redemption" series. In the USA they are sold as 6 separate books.
It starts with Wayfarer Redemption and then Enchanter, starman, sinner, pilgrim and crusader.
I am not a ..."

I love these books too! I am surprised to find somebody who has read them. Usually people don't know what I am talking about.

The Bone Doll's Twin is another of my favorites.

Sarah (sarahmay3) | 830 comments Tanja wrote: "You never can go wrong with...
* Mercedes Lackey - <3 all her series
* J.R.R. Tolkien - SQUEE
* Terry Pratchett - Discworld Joy
* [author:Andre Norto..."

I've had the The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley on my shelf to read at home for years and haven't started it yet. I really should get to it soon, it comes so highly recommended!

Also, I tried reading The Last Unicorn and didn't make it to the end... it started out strong, I guess I just lost interest part of the way through. I'll try again some day.

Lianne (eclecticreading) | 361 comments Ooh, a fantasy novel thread! =D Fantasy is one of my favourite genres; some of my favourites include:

- The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
- The Memory, Sorrow and Thorn trilogy by Tad Williams
- The Lighthouse Duet by Carol Berg
- Elantris by Brandon Sanderson (great standalone)
- Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson (another awesome standalone)
- The Abhorsen trilogy by Garth Nix
- The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
- The Kingdom of Thorn and Bone quartet by Greg Keyes

Sarah (sarahmay3) | 830 comments Li wrote: "Ooh, a fantasy novel thread! =D Fantasy is one of my favourite genres; some of my favourites include:

- The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
- The Memory, Sorrow and Thorn trilo..."

LOVE The Name of the Wind! Did you know that there's finally a release date for the second book? March of next year, I can't wait!!

Lianne (eclecticreading) | 361 comments Sarah wrote: "LOVE The Name of the Wind! Did you know that there's finally a release date for the second book? March of next year, I can't wait!! "

Ooh, yes, I did hear of it! It's pretty exciting; I so need to re-read The Name of the Wind before then =D

Traci (randomtraci) | 5 comments Harper wrote: "I have a lot of fantasy on my TBR list, but out of what I have read, these are my faves:

Fantasy
-Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling
-Sevenwaters Series by Juliet Marillier, especially
[boo..."

I love love love the Black Jewels trilogy! Have you read the accompanying books (The Invisible Ring, Dreams Made Flesh, etc)?

Regine Harry Potter series. Especially the last two.

Regine I'd like to explore this genre a little bit more. I've read some Orson Scott Card and Tad Williams books that I've enjoyed.

Any reccomendations?

message 35: by Jenny (last edited Jun 30, 2010 09:08AM) (new)

Jenny (narcisse) | 209 comments The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller Chronicle, #1) by Patrick Rothfuss is really good.

And anything by Neil Gaiman.

message 36: by Sonja (last edited Jun 29, 2010 11:51AM) (new)

Sonja (crvena_sonja) | 305 comments I HIGHLY recommend A Game of Thrones! Its by George R. R. Martin; its the beginning of a *series*, the last one is supposed to come out *soon*...

Thanks for the correction Jayme!

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 4162 comments I LOVE fantasy. I have almost all of Mercedes Lackey books and I have read all the Harry Potters, I have some Marion Zimmerman Bradley. Anne McCaffrey is good too. I have some Ursela Le Guin and I own all the Game of Thrones series out so far. I do have a small correction. The Game of Thrones series is not a quartet. There are supposed to be 7 books not 4. However, that depends on if George RR Martin gets around to writing them. The newest one is Dance With Dragons and it was supposed to come out November 2009 then they moved it to March 2010 and it still isn't out. They are filming Game of Thrones and turning it into a series for HBO. Not sure when it will air. I think sometime in 2011.

message 38: by Donna (last edited Jun 29, 2010 12:45PM) (new)

Donna Sonja wrote: "I HIGHLY recommend A Game of Thrones! Its by George R. R. Martin; its the beginning of a *series*, the last one is supposed to come out *soon*...

One of my favorite series, too! I have the Wayfarer Redemption series also. Loved them!

Robin Hobb has some good series also. I particularly liked Assassin's Apprentice and Ship of Magic. Both first books on the series.

Also Mary Stewart's Arthurian series starting with The Crystal Cave Of course, I can't get enough of the King Arthur legend, so if you are not into it, be forewarned. ;)

Regine Donna wrote: "Sonja wrote: "I HIGHLY recommend A Game of Thrones! Its by George R. R. Martin; its the beginning of a *series*, the last one is supposed to come out *soon*...

One..."

My sister has recomended George R.R. Martin before. She specificall loves this series, but said that the preceding books aren't as good as the first.

I've also read Fevre Dream by Martin, and I absolutely loved it. It was dark, eerie, and bloody, the way a Vampire book should be *cough cough TWILIGHT*.

I loved the King Arthur legend when I was little, so I might enjoy the series.

Misty Dupuis | 118 comments I've also read Fevre Dream by Martin, and I absolutely loved it. It was dark, eerie, and bloody, the way a Vampire book should be *cough cough TWILIGHT*.

LOL - yep!

Beth A. (BethALM) My very favorite fantasy books are Enchantment by Orson Scott Card and The Princess Bride by William Goldman.

Also favorites are Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman, and Shannon Hale.

Regine I loved The Princess Bride. Enchantment was good too.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 4162 comments I read the Princess Bride in the Spring challenge

Donna Regine, If you are at all interested in King Arthur, I agree with some of the above ladies that you should definitely read The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 4162 comments Mist of Avalon was my first real King Arthur book. I loved it.

message 46: by AJ (last edited Jul 01, 2010 01:39PM) (new)

AJ (Anersword) | 121 comments Sonja wrote: "I HIGHLY recommend A Game of Thrones! Its by George R. R. Martin; its the beginning of a *series*, the last one is supposed to come out *soon*...

Ha! We could be so lucky. 4 books are released with the entire series schedule at 7 books.

The 4th book was originally written as one large book which was split into two. A Feast for Crows was the first half put out in 2005, with the second half (which was SUPPOSSED to be done, or almost there) released the folloiwng year.

And....5 years later....yeah nothing. OH but there is Martin at indo-con. Comic-con. Irish-con. Book-a-con. Oh there he is again the folloiwng year. OH Now he is writing the series for HBO. Cool, that won't slow it down. Can you tell I'm bitter? I just don't want him to die like Robert Jordan mid series...and the series is incredibly incredibly good. I just hope I get to read Martin's ending.

Anyway, yes HBO is doing the Game of Thrones series. here is the teaser trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Mophf...

message 47: by AJ (last edited Jul 01, 2010 01:44PM) (new)

AJ (Anersword) | 121 comments The Game of Thrones series is not a quartet. There are supposed to be 7 books not 4. However, that depends on if George RR Martin gets around to writing them. The newest one is Dance With Dragons and it was supposed to come out November 2009 then they moved it to March 2010 and it still isn't out. They are filming Game of Thrones and turning it into a series for HBO. Not sure when it will air. I think sometime in 2011.

Oops just saw this Jayme, it was hiding in the thread =). Hope the link above will whet your appetite.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 4162 comments AJ you aren't the only one who is bitter about George RR Martin slow writing skills.

Donna Jayme wrote: "AJ you aren't the only one who is bitter about George RR Martin slow writing skills."

I've been patiently waiting for book 5 (A DANCE WITH DRAGONS) for a loooong time. I actually preordered it from Amazon May 28, 2008!!!! Gee, it's only been over 2 years! The only good thing is that Martin said on his website that a few of the chapters he's already written for this book will go into book 6 instead. Maybe that means the wait won't be quite so long for that one!

All, I know is that with all this waiting, I hope the quality of the books stays the same. If his next 3 books are as good as the first 4, I will forgive him with no problem! LOL

Rachel Stefano (CandyPanda) | 6 comments The Synthesis (Powerless, #1) by Jason LettsPowerless: The Synthesis is really becoming one of my favorite fantasy stories. I like that there aren't a lot of sword wielding guys and instead it's more about a group of kids and overcoming your limitations. It's really an inspiring read!

« previous 1