Romantic Historical Fiction Lovers discussion

NOMINATED RHF TITLES > Civil War

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Gibson | 6 comments Hi,
I just finished reading and reviewing The Glory Cloak by Patricia O'Brien. It takes place during the Civil War and in the years just after. The first half of the novel is about Louisa May Alcott and her service as a nurse during the war. The second half deals with Clara Barton and her efforts to identify missing and dead soldiers. All based on fact. There is a romantic element as well. So, I'd like to nominate this one for the shelf!

message 2: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Emery Lee (AuthorEmeryLee) | 900 comments Mod
Teresa wrote: "Hi,
I just finished reading and reviewing The Glory Cloak by Patricia O'Brien. It takes place during the Civil War and in the years just after. The first half of the novel is about Louisa May Alco..."

Hi Teresa-
Based on your review as well as a couple of others from our group,I'll shelf this as Civil war era biographical fiction. Thanks for sharing!

message 3: by Evelina C (new)

Evelina C (EvelinaGuekguezian) I love the Civil War era as a setting for romantic historical fiction, and I plan to check my library for The Glory Cloak: A Novel of Louisa May Alcott and Clara Barton.

Charles Frazier's Cold Mountain immediately comes to mind as an excellent example of quality RHF set during the Civil War. A lesser known but hauntingly memorable title is Homeland by Barbara Hambly. I finished this book over a year ago, and there are still parts of the story that stay with me to this day.

message 4: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Evelina C wrote: "I love the Civil War era as a setting for romantic historical fiction, and I plan to check my library for The Glory Cloak: A Novel of Louisa May Alcott and Clara Barton.

Charles Fr..."

Hi Evelina!

Thank you so much for telling us about Homeland. I was not familiar with this title. For me to shelve it for this group, however, it must have a strong romantic element. I did not see this in the novel's description. Can you elaborate?

message 5: by Evelina C (new)

Evelina C (EvelinaGuekguezian) Newlyweds Cora and Emory Poole are faced with a lengthy separation during the war. Cora stays on a remote island off the coast of Maine while Emory, who was neutral before the war began, goes to his home in Tennessee and fights for the Confederacy.

The budding friendship between Cora and Emory's Tennessee neighbor, Susanna Ashford, is the framework of the story. We learn through their letters of loss, survival and newfound love.

Maybe it's a close call, but deep heartbreak and the healing found in love/passion are essential ingredients in this story.

message 6: by Jewel (new)

Jewel | 40 comments Are we nominating Civil War Books?
I have read the North and South trilogy a long time ago, after I watched the TV series and would recommend it, although some parts were a bit graphic for me.
Another book is Shaman, this one I don’t remember very well, sorry, but really i'm not sure if it was strong on romance, it wasn't the focus of the book, i think it was more of a family saga?

message 7: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Hi Jewel!
I think the North ans South trilogy works for us. Thanks for suggesting it.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Cold Mountain (other topics)
The Glory Cloak: A Novel of Louisa May Alcott and Clara Barton (other topics)
Homeland (other topics)
North and South (other topics)
Shaman (other topics)
More...