Every one's Choice discussion

Winners for November!

Comments (showing 1-42 of 42) (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

Donna (DFiggz) | 3100 comments Mod
Sorry guys I am a little late but we will make this short and sweet. What theme do you want for Nov? I say we have one book of our choosing and other from our winning "theme"

http://holidayinsights.com/moreholida...

I nominated Thanksgiving. We can choose a book about thankfulness or food???

Start nominating!!!

message 2: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (crescent_gaia) I'm going to second the theme of Thanksgiving as well. I know it's National Novel Writing Month, but it's been Thanksgiving month and the start of holidays for longer.

message 3: by Katie (new)

Katie Russell | 139 comments I was going to say Native American partically because of thanksgiving and because there are also two days devoved to Native Americans in the month.

message 4: by Liz (new)

Liz This is a time of year for family to get together & celebrate, so I was thinking a Family Saga (ie. East of Eden, The Thorn Birds . . . )

message 5: by Silver (new)

Silver I am intrigued by the idea of Aviation History

message 6: by Vicki (new)

Vicki | 3 comments Native American month for fall and thanksgiving :)

message 7: by April (new)

April  (AprilJD) | 14 comments I just joined but I really like the idea of an Aviation History theme. :)

message 8: by Molly (new)

Molly (mollystoddart) I like the ideas of thanksgiving or a family story.

message 9: by Anna (new)

Anna Anderson (AnnaAnderson) | 130 comments I like the idea of a family story b/c of the time of year and how much time we usually spend with family during Nov. and December. I just finished a great read with interesting family dynamics that will have you laughing out loud and then a few pages later crying (or at least that is what I did) called Henry's Sisters. I am not saying that that is what we should read for Nov., I am just trying to push a great read.

message 10: by Joan (new)

Joan Wise (joan46) | 49 comments I like the idea Native American month for fall and Thanksgiving or historical pilgrim story.

message 11: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) | 204 comments Hmmm... I nominate the theme of FOOD!! Cuz it's Thanksgiving and we all eat way too much of it LOL.

message 12: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (Misskitty1026) | 105 comments i say food as well :)

message 13: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

Well I guess it's safe to say that Turkey day can incorporate family, food, and native americans.

message 14: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (crescent_gaia) And a really big parade. ^_~

message 15: by Hildur (new)

Hildur (bokahaus) I vote for food theme!

message 16: by Anna (new)

Anna Anderson (AnnaAnderson) | 130 comments food and family together would make for a good book!

message 17: by Lyn (Readinghearts) (last edited Oct 19, 2010 11:52AM) (new)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) November has Veteran's Day in the US, so we could go that route, but it is also Adoption Month, so I am going to nominate the theme of Adoption

message 18: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

Vote for your theme and then Monday we will start nominating the books. Sorry I am behind but as you know I have been busy with my thesis!

message 19: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

Start nominating books for our Thanksgiving theme which may include food, Native American, family, Turkeys...??? Whatever you wish.

Also nominate a second book of your choice for category 2!

message 20: by April (new)

April  (AprilJD) | 14 comments Thanksgiving - Empire of the Summer Moon by S.C. Gwynne by S.C. Gwynne

My Choice - Room A Novel by Emma Donoghue by Emma Donoghue

message 21: by Hildur (new)

Hildur (bokahaus) For the thanksgiving (food) theme I would like to nominate Heartburn by Nora Ephron.

For the 2nd theme I would like to nominate The Hot Zone: A Terrifying True Story by Richard Preston. It gets very good reviews.

message 22: by Anna (new)

Anna Anderson (AnnaAnderson) | 130 comments Heartburn sounds like a good food theme book and then there is Comfort Food by kate Jacobs. I don't have a second opinion yet b/c there are soooooo many to choose from. I have been wanting to read New York by Edward Rutherford , which is about the founding of New York and it moves through the centuries up to current time. It is supposed to be really good! So I guess that is my second choice. It is also now out in paperback which helps b/c it is a whopper, I will admit!

message 23: by Joan (new)

Joan Wise (joan46) | 49 comments For the Thanksgiving theme - The Peaceable Kingdom by Jan de Hartog.

My second choice - New York by Edward Rutherfurd.

message 24: by Anna (new)

Anna Anderson (AnnaAnderson) | 130 comments Hey thanks for seconding my second choice Joan!

message 25: by Silver (new)

Silver For Thanksgiving I nominate The Beet Queen

For my choice I nominate The Bonesetter's Daughter

message 26: by Joan (new)

Joan Wise (joan46) | 49 comments Your welcome Anna - I love his books and New York has been in my TBR pile for awhile!

message 27: by Anna (new)

Anna Anderson (AnnaAnderson) | 130 comments Silver, I have both of those on my TBR list as well. Of course, my TBR list is 3000+ titles, so it is rare to find one not on there, hee, hee, hee :-)

message 28: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

Cat. 1 - The Gathering by Anne Enright

cat. 2 - Little Bee by Chris Cleave

message 29: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

April wrote: "Thanksgiving - Empire of the Summer Moon by S.C. Gwynne by S.C. Gwynne

My Choice - Room A Novel by Emma Donoghue by Emma Donoghue"

I wann read Room so bad!!!! Too much $$ and the wait at the library...????

message 30: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

Need more nominations.....

I am starting the polls tomorrow so get them in while you can...

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) I am having a hard time coming up with something for the Thanksgiving theme, but for category 2 I will nominate: Hidden Wives by Claire Avery

message 32: by Katie (new)

Katie Russell | 139 comments I nominate the Absoultely true Diary of a Part Time Indain as my first book and The Case of the missing servant as my second.

message 33: by April (new)

April  (AprilJD) | 14 comments Donna wrote: "I wanna read Room so bad!!!! Too much $$ and the wait at the library...???? "

Aww. The wait's not too bad at my library but I can come up with a better second choice if that would help.

message 34: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

April wrote: "Donna wrote: "I wanna read Room so bad!!!! Too much $$ and the wait at the library...???? "

Aww. The wait's not too bad at my library but I can come up with a better second choice if that would help."

Not at all I will just have to buy it LOL

message 35: by Hildur (new)

Hildur (bokahaus) I agree on Room being a very good nomination, but it might also be a bit hard for me to get. It's something that will just be worked out if that book gets voted as next months' read

message 36: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

Thankls for all your nominations and votes. The polls are in and the winners are:

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie

and

Little Bee by Chris Cleave

message 37: by Hildur (new)

Hildur (bokahaus) I don't know if I'll be able to get the Indian one but I'll probably get Little Bee.

message 38: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (SaRaH23L) I'm planning to read Little Bee!

message 39: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

My book club at work is reading it now so I am thankful that it won!

message 40: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

PS I also own the Indian one and it is considered a YA so it makes for quick reading.

message 41: by Katie (new)

Katie Russell | 139 comments I will certainly read Little Bee and have already read The Absoultely True Diary of a Part Time Indain.

message 42: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (SarahSaysRead) Oooo I read Little Bee and liked it. Might look into that Indian one...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Thorn Birds (other topics)
East of Eden (other topics)
Henry's Sisters (other topics)
Empire of the Summer Moon: Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches, the Most Powerful Indian Tribe in American History (other topics)
Room (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Emma Donoghue (other topics)
S.C. Gwynne (other topics)
Chris Cleave (other topics)
Anne Enright (other topics)
Claire Avery (other topics)
More...