SciFi and Fantasy eBook Club discussion

October Discussions > House of Suns - Finished the Book - Spoilers!

Comments (showing 1-8 of 8) (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Donna (new)

Donna (DonnaHR) | 360 comments Mod
Well, my first thought on finishing the book was: What the @#$!, are you kidding me? Click, click, click (that's me clicking on Next Page), 100%?? That's the end?!? Needless to say, I thought it ended ridiculously abruptly.

That aside, I really enjoyed this book. I thought it was an interesting twist that the Lines had killed all the machines and then erased the knowledge and the memory of it so completely. Rather a chilling thought, the ability to re-write your own history like that.

One aspect that I could never quite get my mind around was the psychology of living through so much time. Even though they spend many years in stasis, they still have experienced thousands of year of conscious life. The author even makes a point of mentioning that although they are in some way enhanced to help with this they do still have normal human minds. I wonder what it would be like to experience that much life. Could our human brains really deal with it? Would you want to be alive that long? These questions kept running through my mind as I read the book.

I think this was a great read. I gave it a solid 4 stars.

message 2: by Geoffrey, The One, The Only (new)

Geoffrey (Geoffreys) | 941 comments Mod
Once they got to Andromeda, there was a lot of wrap up and a lot of back story thrown in very quickly. I really enjoyed the book - and I like the way the Palatial a childhood memory and a partially unburied memory of the genocide over the first Machine People.

I do think it lost one or half a star due to the ending. I agree it was too fast ...

message 3: by Charles (new)

Charles (NogDog) I agree the ending was too abrupt. I also had a lot of trouble with the prisoner interrogation. As I mentioned elsewhere, it made no sense to me that with all the technology and medications that were at their disposal, they resorted to what was essentially medieval style torture gussied up with some cinematic but essentially superfluous gadgetry.

But, the breadth and scope of the author's view was stimulating, and a refreshing breath of fresh air in a genre where it seems most authors are wallowing in themes and variations of techno-dystopias.

message 4: by Greg (last edited Oct 12, 2010 09:39PM) (new)

Greg (Geemont) | 462 comments I was the same way at first, thinking, Is there a last chapter missing? But the more I ponder it, then more I like it. Unwrapping Hesperus like a gift box, pretty sure you know what is inside, but not completely and the glass man has to leave once the task is done one way or the other; whither the he will be happy with what he finds or will not. Either ending works. This way, the reader can decided.

The problem was the ebook format just end. A lot of ebooks have the copyright at the end of the book and thay clues the reader in that it's really over, technically.

And, yes, I'd like to live that long if able. Even if my memory of 1,000 year galactic empires was spotty. It reminds of a post somewhere were someone asked --

Q: How would you like to die?
A: In the heat death of the universe.

Probably not a bad way to go if you can last that long.

message 5: by Charles (new)

Charles (NogDog) Well, if you're going to live that long, you ought to have time to figure out how to tunnel through to a younger universe where you can keep on keepin' on. :-)

message 6: by Donna (new)

Donna (DonnaHR) | 360 comments Mod
I guess it's why we read SciFi...sometimes when I stop and really think about it, I get so mad that I won't be around to experience what our world (or us, as humans) will be like in 100, 1000, 100,000 years. What's going to happen?? I want to know!

message 7: by Eric (new)

Eric (Basilius) | 82 comments I didn't really have a problem with the ending. It felt appropriate. Going further may have been hard to do without it coming out trite.

I was hoping Palatial wouldn't turn out to be something like Ender's game. Reynolds easily could have gone there - glad he didn't.

The bit at the end talking about the Priors really hammered home the sense of scope. The Lines had been around for millions of years, yet were barely a drop in the bucket compared to how long the Priors were around. And, may still be around: I have a feeling Reynolds had them out in other galaxies somewhere.

message 8: by Carey (new)

Carey Bostwick (carebear11) | 40 comments I am not sure if I liked this book. It started very slowly however, it did pick up and I liked more, especially when the Machine people got involved.

I agree with everyone that the ending was abrupt. Is there a sequel?

unread topics | mark unread