Aussie Readers discussion

Archives > What's happening - New Aussie book releases - Latest Publishing News - Awards

Comments (showing 1-50 of 241) (241 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by MandyM (last edited Oct 09, 2010 03:10PM) (new)

MandyM | 2032 comments This thread is for all news related to Aussie books and reading. Please add any news or views of your own.:)

In "The Australian" today:

PUBLISHING agent Bruce Kennedy has given the thumbs-up to the news that influential publisher and businessman Kevin Weldon and ad-man John Singleton will launch on Australia Day next year an all-Australian publishing house, Australia's Heritage Publishing. We can expect to see "great Australian books, by Australians, for Australians".

POETS of Australia, unite! That's the rallying call for the newly formed Australian Poetry, the result of a merger between the Australian Poetry Centre and Poets Union. Paul Kooperman, who has been acting director of the APC, takes on the role of national director, and an advisory committee will be set up.

Here's the latest news about Peter Carey's inclusion in the shortlist for this year's Man Booker Prize:

AUSTRALIA'S literary statesman Peter Carey is eyeing off his third Man Booker Prize. The Victorian born and raised writer is among the short list of six authors in the running for the literary world's most prestigious prize for his novel Parrot and Olivier in America.

He won his first Booker in 1988 for Oscar and Lucinda and his second in 2001 with True History of the Kelly Gang. If he wins again he will be the first person in the 42-year history of the prize to win three times. His latest novel Parrot and Olivier in America in America follows the travels of French historian Alexis de Tocqueville around the US in the 1830s. The winner is announced 12th October.

Here is a link to an interview with Peter Carey talking about his nomination.

message 2: by MandyM (new)

MandyM | 2032 comments Upcoming writers and readers festivals:

15-17 October - Tropical Writers Festival, Cairns. Two of our own group members will be starring there - David and Jacqueline. Have a great time guys!

16-17 October - Redact 2010, Geelong, Victoria.

message 5: by Velvetink (new)

Velvetink | 136 comments Mandy wrote: "More new releases. Some of these are not yet in Goodreads but will be added as time goes on. In the meantime you can find them via Google.

Paul Kelly [book:How to make Gravy|9364..."

Great list Mandy. Had to laugh about the title of McSween's book. I live right in the middle of rural Boganland so don't need an ID kit. (but have to admit I wear a flannel check shirt when in the garden vegie patch).

message 6: by Velvetink (new)

Velvetink | 136 comments I added How to Make Gravy the other day.

Paul Kelly [book:How to mak..."

message 7: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (readinasinglesitting) | 65 comments Great list, Mandy. :) I just read and enjoyed The Dressmaker by Posie Graeme-Evans--quite the fun read (and lots of gutsy female characters, too!)

message 8: by MandyM (new)

MandyM | 2032 comments Stephanie wrote: "Great list, Mandy. :) I just read and enjoyed The Dressmaker by Posie Graeme-Evans--quite the fun read (and lots of gutsy female characters, too!)"

Yes there are so many new releases I'm keen on in that list. For me it is definitely 'That Deadman Dance (the blurb and even the title seem magical to me!), 'Love Poems', 'How to Make Gravy', 'Three Famines', 'Fall Girl' and 'Things Bogans Like...'!
Maybe 'Beneath a Pale Blue Burqa' as well although I usually avoid those sort of books. But this one is more a political commentary than a sensationalist 'suppression of muslim women' story. My Christmas wish list is full.:)

message 10: by MandyM (last edited Oct 12, 2010 09:48PM) (new)

MandyM | 2032 comments Unfortunately Peter Carey didn't win his third Man Booker Prize this year. Howard Jacobson (not one of the favourites!) has won the £50,000 prize for his novel The Finkler Question. The award was announced at a presentation dinner in London overnight.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I had checked out the books on the booker prize list a month ago. That is why I am reading The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet by David Mitchell and I plan to read The Road by Cormac McCarthy The Finkler Question didn't catch my attention at all.

message 12: by MandyM (last edited Oct 12, 2010 10:24PM) (new)

MandyM | 2032 comments They look good Gail! I think out of us two you definitely have the best taste in books! Haha.

The winner of the Nobel Prize for Literature 2010 is famous Peruvian author Mario Vargas Llosa.

message 13: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 12, 2010 10:38PM) (new)

Oooops, I posted the wrong book it wasn't The Road it was In a Strange Room
In a Strange Room by Damon Galgut

(I am still planning to read The Road. I think I got The Road confused with Room which you would never get me reading in a million years)

Here is a link to the Archived Booker Prize winners. I've only read a handful of them.
http://www.themanbookerprize.com/priz...

message 14: by Justin (new)

Justin South (justinsouth) | 43 comments Hello
Well, here's another Aussie release, '33 a gay love story'. The name identifies it, so, if the genre is not yours, don't visit my site http://33agaylovestory.com or my GR profile for the description and excerpts.
For members who like reading gay love and descriptive scenes, I hope you enjoy.
Cheers,
Justin South 33 a gay love story by J. J. South

message 15: by Velvetink (last edited Oct 15, 2010 12:48AM) (new)

Velvetink | 136 comments Has anyone read any of Peter Yeldham's books? Just wondering because I haven't run across him before. He has quite a few titles and a new book launch last week At Borders - Glory Girl. http://www.borders.com.au/book/glory-...

I also just noticed that online Borders (NSW) advertise their book launches/author signings. here

http://www.borders.com.au/nsw-events

message 16: by Justin (new)

Justin South (justinsouth) | 43 comments Yes, I've been glancing at a few pages of his book 'Barbed Wire and Roses' over the last two years. An interesting story. Highlights the stupidity of the arrogant English military brass towards Aussie troops and war strategies. (They hadn't a clue.)
It's worth a read if that's your interest. I bought it after I visited the Somme and Ypres. It was a mistake to buy it, really. For I'd been there, done that, seen it. But BWR has a nice story about one soldier, who beat the bastard poms.

message 17: by Velvetink (new)

Velvetink | 136 comments Justin wrote: "Yes, I've been glancing at a few pages of his book 'Barbed Wire and Roses' over the last two years. An interesting story. Highlights the stupidity of the arrogant English military brass towards Aus..."

Thanks Justin!, I will check his books out at the library. I'd like to do the Kokoda Trail one day, my grandfather was over there, but I need to get fitter first. ;)

message 18: by MandyM (last edited Oct 15, 2010 02:31PM) (new)

MandyM | 2032 comments David Hicks' memoir is being released today. Under the terms of his release from Guantanomo Bay he will have to surrender all profits to the Federal Government. I don't know what other group members think of this book being published but I'm very interested to hear his side of the story.

Guantanamo  My Journey by David Hicks

Here are some extracts from the book:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/so...

message 19: by MandyM (new)

MandyM | 2032 comments A new release non-fiction book that might interest you:

Eaten by a Giant Clam: Great Adventures in Natural Science (this isn't an Aussie author but there's a big section on Joseph Banks plus it just looks like a fun book!)

Eaten by a Giant Clam  Great Adventures in Natural Science by Joseph Cummins

message 20: by Carmel (last edited Oct 15, 2010 07:55PM) (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments Stephanie wrote: "Great list, Mandy. :) I just read and enjoyed The Dressmaker by Posie Graeme-Evans--quite the fun read (and lots of gutsy female characters, too!)"

It's funny Stephanie, my daughter who's completing VCE this year studied The Dressmaker last year and this is what she said about that book, I quote, "the most weirdest/creepiest, messed up book she has read", now remember she was 17 at the time. So it makes me laugh how one book can be loved by one person and detested my another. I suppose when you "have" to read a book and have no choice about it and if it's not "your thing" I can understand that it might make you have reservations about it. But I've got it on my bookshelf at home so I might read it and find out what all the fuss is about!
Cheers

message 21: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments Justin wrote: "Hello
Well, here's another Aussie release, '33 a gay love story'. The name identifies it, so, if the genre is not yours, don't visit my site http://33agaylovestory.com or my GR profile for the des..."

Wow Justin your book sounds intriguing. I may not read your book but it's great to see it's available for anyone who's interested in your genre. I have a brother who is gay and I certainly feel for him and his partner as it's been a long road for them becoming accepted as a couple. Fortunately for them now life is pretty good!!
Cheers

message 22: by Justin (new)

Justin South (justinsouth) | 43 comments Carmel wrote: "Justin wrote: "Hello
Well, here's another Aussie release, '33 a gay love story'. The name identifies it, so, if the genre is not yours, don't visit my site http://33agaylovestory.com or my GR pro..."

Hello Carmel,
Thank you, nice to hear your comments. I'm sure your brother and partner would probably relate to some of the themes in 33.
Cheers to you too,
Justin

message 23: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments Justin wrote: "Carmel wrote: "Justin wrote: "Hello
Well, here's another Aussie release, '33 a gay love story'. The name identifies it, so, if the genre is not yours, don't visit my site http://33agaylovestory.co..."
I'm sure your brother and partner would probably relate to some of the themes in 33.

I'll certainly keep it in mind Justin.
If you're interested at all Justin in YA novels that break the mold, in particular having same sex characters (male in this case) who develop into a relationship, Cassandra Clare's "The Mortal Instruments" series may appeal to you. She has fans from all walks of life (young & old)and is a great advocate for equality of the sexes whatever religion,sexual preference, nationality, etc.
Anyway, thanks for sharing your book with us:)
Cheers

message 24: by MandyM (new)

MandyM | 2032 comments Carmel wrote: "If you're interested at all Justin in YA novels that break the mold, in particular having same sex characters (male in this case) who develop into a relationship, Cassandra Clare's "The Mortal Instruments" series may appeal to you. She has fans from all walks of life (young & old)and is a great advocate for equality of the sexes whatever religion,sexual preference, nationality, etc..."

Thanks for the recommendations Carmel.:)

message 25: by Velvetink (new)

Velvetink | 136 comments Mandy wrote: "David Hicks' memoir is being released today. Under the terms of his release from Guantanomo Bay he will have to surrender all profits to the Federal Government. I don't know what other group member..."

That's fairly crap he has to give them the profits. Will look out for the book, I too would like to hear his side of things.

message 26: by MandyM (new)

MandyM | 2032 comments Velvetink wrote: "Mandy wrote: "David Hicks' memoir is being released today. Under the terms of his release from Guantanomo Bay he will have to surrender all profits to the Federal Government. I don't know what othe..."

Yep I'm definitely buying it. It's supposed to be released today so I'll keep an eye out for the book. I might start a discussion in the 'Individual Book Discussions' thread cause it should be fairly popular and controversial.:)

Guantanamo: My Journey
Guantanamo  My Journey by David Hicks

message 27: by Justin (new)

Justin South (justinsouth) | 43 comments Carmel wrote: "Justin wrote: "Carmel wrote: "Justin wrote: "Hello
Well, here's another Aussie release, '33 a gay love story'. The name identifies it, so, if the genre is not yours, don't visit my site http://33..."

Thanks Carmel, I'll certainly look at her series.
Strange you mentioned YA novels, for I have a problem with the age grouping of same.
Biologically, YA is defined as persons aged 18 to 40. I agree with this. Yet, in the literary game it is defined as those 13 to 15yo.
My two quandaries are - what happened to pre-pubescence and pubescence, and to teenagers.Doesn't the literary market recognise same nowadays? Would any mother here consider her pre-pubescent 13 yo child a young adult? I don't think so.
Yet YA literature, often containing candid sexual descriptions, is shunted towards this age market, a tactic I despise.
Children that age should not be so targeted and should be left free to enjoy those tender years uncorrupted by marketed sexual innuendo.
I consider 16 as the earliest age for YA lit containing graphical sex scenes.
Hope I have not bored you with my mind's wanderings.
Kindly,
Justin

message 28: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments Justin wrote: "Carmel wrote: "Justin wrote: "Carmel wrote: "Justin wrote: "Hello
Well, here's another Aussie release, '33 a gay love story'. The name identifies it, so, if the genre is not yours, don't visit my ..."

I totally agree with you Justin. My youngest daughter (who's 18) and I started reading Cassie's series when the 3rd book came out, so at the time she was 16 and quite understandably mature enough to read them, but I don't think it's really suitable for a 13 yr old. That being said, this book is not graphic in anyway that would make you cringe and the main teenage characters range from 16-19yrs old.
I'll leave that up to you if you're interested in reading it:)
Cheers

message 29: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Klehr (goodreadscomkevink) | 74 comments Mandy wrote: "Velvetink wrote: "Mandy wrote: "David Hicks' memoir is being released today. Under the terms of his release from Guantanomo Bay he will have to surrender all profits to the Federal Government. I do..."

Thank goodness his story is finally told! Long overdue and sad it has to happen so long after a political change.

message 30: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments Mandy wrote: "Justin wrote: "Strange you mentioned YA novels, for I have a problem with the age grouping of same..."

Justin and Carmel you raise some really interesting and valid points but can we move the YA..."

No worries Mandy (I keep getting into trouble - I'll have to go to the naughty corner)- I think I was finished anyway but Justin does make a really valid point - now I'll go to the corner:)
Cheers

message 31: by MandyM (new)

MandyM | 2032 comments Carmel, LOL, I just realised you were finished and deleted my msg. I think we keep crossing eachother. Don't ever think you're in trouble! I love all these conversations, but when they go on for a while it's confusing for new people coming to this thread to find the info they're looking for. If you're having a great convo with someone feel free to ask them to meet you in another thread or even start a new discussion yourself Thanks heaps. :)

message 32: by Justin (new)

Justin South (justinsouth) | 43 comments Carmel wrote: "Justin wrote: "Carmel wrote: "Justin wrote: "Carmel wrote: "Justin wrote: "Hello
Well, here's another Aussie release, '33 a gay love story'. The name identifies it, so, if the genre is not yours,..."

Oh Carmel, what you have said does not deter me in the least, in fact I'm delighted you agree with me. My characters are aged 18 to ~30, however, I decided to give one of the 18 yo's a mindset of a 16yo, so to introduce the quaintness and innocence of a mid teen groping with loneliness and typical heartfelt desires. You might like to read the excerpt from Chapters 18/19 on my site. Don't worry, it's a clean read and may be similar to Cassie's writings. I've enjoyed this chat with you and hope you will enjoy the read.
Regards, Justin

message 33: by MandyM (new)

MandyM | 2032 comments Justin wrote: "Carmel wrote: "Justin wrote: "Carmel wrote: "Justin wrote: "Carmel wrote: "Justin wrote: "Hello
Well, here's another Aussie release, '33 a gay love story'. The name identifies it, so, if the genre..."

Justin we've moved this great conversation to another folder so we can talk for a while. Go to http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/4...

message 34: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments I've responded at the new location Justin:)Thanks Mandy

message 35: by MandyM (new)

MandyM | 2032 comments In today's Australian, this excellent article on the emergence of ereaders and their impact on publishing (Murray you're gonna love this one!)

Digital devices are fuelling a publishing revolution that may not have a happy ending
IT'S more than four months since the release of Apple's iPad, and gadget fiends still hover over demo models on shop counters. Heads still turn when one of the bright touch screens powers up in a cafe or on a plane, and tellingly it is not just grown men and small boys who are interested.

One competitor, however, is refusing to compete, and in doing so seems not only to have avoided being crushed, but has instead fashioned a success that not only rivals Apple's, but promises, or possibly threatens, to transform an industry in the same way the iPod and iTunes remade the music business.

Read the rest of the article here: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/...

message 36: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments Interesting article Mandy! I love the paper copy of a novel but can see it's death in the future:( I intend to purchase a e-reader at some stage so I'll have to check out the advice you guys have been kindly providing.
Cheers

message 37: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Lamperd Mandy wrote: "In today's Australian, this excellent article on the emergence of ereaders and their impact on publishing (Murray you're gonna love this one!)

Digital devices are fuelling a publishing revolutio..."

Interesting article, Mandy. I'm looking for an ereader which you can download books from where ever. I've heard you can only download Amazon books on Kindle. Many of the ebooks advertised on Amazon are nearly as expensive as the paper books. Laurel

message 38: by MandyM (new)

MandyM | 2032 comments I know there are lots of mums in this group and you might be interested in the latest coffee table book release from famous Australian photographer Anne Geddes. She went into retirement a few years ago but has just returned with a new book and the pictures are stunning! You can catch a slideshow preview here.

Beginnings by Anne Geddes

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Awwh Mandy they are so beautiful, as always.

message 40: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments They are truly stunning Mandy & Gail. Did you both see on 6o mins the other week they featured a story on her, showing her process of developing these pistures from start to finish for this particular book, it was amazing. She said in the interview that this experience had revitilised her after feeling for awhile that she had nothing more to say with her photography, she was so wrong thinking that as she's such an artist & she's an Aussie!!!
Cheers

message 41: by Laura (new)

Laura Rittenhouse | 200 comments Laurel wrote: "Mandy wrote: "In today's Australian, this excellent article on the emergence of ereaders and their impact on publishing (Murray you're gonna love this one!)

Digital devices are fuelling a publis..."

Laurel, I don't have a Kindle, but I understand you can download some files like word or PDF to your Kindle. There potentially is a fee ($0.99 I think) per file, Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custome...

But I think that's still a far cry from a single device being able to accommodate any ebook format.

message 42: by MandyM (last edited Oct 25, 2010 02:33PM) (new)

MandyM | 2032 comments Highly anticipated new release for Oct/Nov is Lazarus Rising by former Prime Minister John Howard. Will we finally learn what went wrong between him and Peter Costello? Mmmm... We'll get one side of the story at least.

Lazarus Rising by John Howard

message 43: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments Mandy wrote: "Highly anticipated new release for Oct/Nov is Lazarus Rising by former Prime Minister John Howard. Will we finally learn what went wrong between him and Peter Costello? Mmmm... We'll..."

Did you see the interview with him this morning on the Today Show, Mandy? He was on a program last night also, which I didn't watch but apparently an audience member through a couple of shoes at him - funny thing is the guy had to go and retrieve his shoes later because he didn't come prepared with a second pair! Silly man, made me laugh.
Never been a big fan of John Howard but do admire some of his attributes, particularly his love for his family and wonderful support he gave his wife once she was diagnosed with cervical cancer. The Peter Costello section would be an interesting read!!
Cheers

message 44: by Dhitri (last edited Oct 25, 2010 03:28PM) (new)

Dhitri Mandy wrote: "I know there are lots of mums in this group and you might be interested in the latest coffee table book release from famous Australian photographer Anne Geddes. She went into retirem..."

I applied to be a model in her upcoming book and docu on pregnancy and nature, but missed the casting call because it was in Sydney and I was very close to due date (don't wanna take chances travelling). I really wanted to be part of her amazing project, the pic would have been great memory keepsake of my amazing journey into mommyhood.

message 45: by MandyM (new)

MandyM | 2032 comments Carmel wrote: "Mandy wrote: "Highly anticipated new release for Oct/Nov is Lazarus Rising by former Prime Minister John Howard. Will we finally learn what went wrong between him and Peter Costello?..."

I saw the shoe throwing incident briefly this morning before I left for work Carmel! I felt a bit sorry for him actually but I guess that's what happens when you put yourself out there as a political leader. Not everyone will like your policies.

message 46: by MandyM (last edited Oct 27, 2010 07:59PM) (new)

MandyM | 2032 comments Here are some new and recent releases of Aussie books:

Non Fiction and Biographies
Bligh  Master Mariner by Rob Mundle

Women's Fiction and ChickLit
Shall We Dance? by Maggie Alderson The Plantation by Di Morrissey

Children's and Young Adult
Get A Grip, Cooper Jones by Sue Whiting Tussock by Elizabeth Pulford

General Fiction and Crime/Mystery/Thriller
Errol, Fidel and the Cuban Rebel Girls by Boyd Anderson A Few Right Thinking Men by Sulari Gentill A Darker Music by Maris Morton

message 47: by MandyM (new)

MandyM | 2032 comments Feeling a little peckish? Sink your teeth into these new and recent release cookbooks. Yum!

Great Gourmet Weekends In Australia by explore australia staff Ross Dobson's Wholefood Kitchen by Ross Dobson World Table  Favourite Recipes From Around The World by Australian Women's Weekly Staff

OMG! I Can Eat That? by Jane Kennedy Frugavore by Arabella Forge Saraban by Greg Malouf

I think my favourite is the Great Gourmet Weekends!

message 49: by MandyM (new)

MandyM | 2032 comments Here's a great article on best-selling Author Kate Morton coinciding with the release of her new novel The Distant Hours: A Novel.

She is a writer of wildly popular sagas – creating them between child care and school drop-offs.

With three million books sold, she is being compared to iconic novelists such as Colleen McCullough.

But unlike McCullough and her American-published 1977 hit Thornbirds, Morton is an all-Australian success story.

Morton's novels – The Shifting Fog (2006) and The Forgotten Garden (2008) – have been sold to 38 countries, guided by an Australian agent (Selwa Anthony) and an Australian-owned publishing house (Allen & Unwin).
Read more.

The Distant Hours  A Novel by Kate Morton

message 50: by Miranda (new)

Miranda Forbes (xcite) | 3 comments Xcite books - the UK's award-winning erotica imprint is now available in Australia both as print ($15.99) and ebooks (from $1.99) at http://www.xcitebooks.com.au

Here are some recent releases:
Girl Trade by Chloe Thurlow
The Business of Pleasure by Justine Elyot
The Initiation of Ms Holly (Xcite Novels) by K.D. Grace
Naked for the Mistress by Alex Jordaine

and ebooks
Bittersweet - An intimate tale of love, sex and loss (Xcite Short Stories) by Alyssa Turner
Art Of Seduction - And Other Stories (Xcite Collections) by Katie Lilly Big and Beautiful - A collection of five erotic Rubenesque stories (Xcite Erotica) by Elizabeth Coldwell

We have opportunities for reviwers so please message me if you're interested.

« previous 1 3 4 5