The Sword and Laser discussion

George R.R. Martin Threads > A Game of Thrones audiobook

Comments (showing 1-10 of 10) (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Don (new)

Don | 79 comments I read the A Game of Thrones in print years ago. I'm now listening to the audiobook. Roy Dotrice gives an amazing performance! I can't stop listening. Unless something goes horribly wrong with the recording, this will be one of my favorite audiobooks of all time. It is well worth the extra credit on Audible.

message 2: by Chris (new)

Chris Carpenter (christianjcarpenter) | 7 comments I will have to look into that since its a book I recently started and also want on audiobook, I have heard people complain about the narrator of the book, but I also believe there are now multiple versions of the book on audiobook now.

message 3: by Tamahome (last edited Oct 07, 2010 08:31PM) (new)

Tamahome | 5027 comments Book IV is a different narrator, John Lee. Overdrive has the books.

message 4: by Brian (new)

Brian | 67 comments I like Roy Dotrice and hey George please give your notes to Brandon Sanderson so he can finish this book series.

message 5: by Alan (new)

Alan (ProfessorAlan) | 72 comments the audios are excellent.

message 6: by Tina (new)

Tina (javabird) | 461 comments Unfortunately, Overdrive does not have the mp3's (for Macs) at my library, only the wma's.

message 7: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1298 comments Mod
Tamahome wrote: "Book IV is a different narrator, John Lee. Overdrive has the books."

Hmmm. I'm not sure how I'd feel about John Lee reading GoT. I'll have to listen to a sample.

message 8: by Iris (last edited Oct 14, 2010 09:47AM) (new)

Iris Harper (irisharper) | 1 comments I listened to all four books, and I am afraid I found switching to John Lee for A Feast For Crows was... bad. Roy Dotrice was brilliant. I am sure John Lee is good too, but not for this book. I barely got through it. And it was not merely the switching of narrators, I have been okay with such changes before. Roy Dotrice has a gruffness that just *fits* the series. John Lee made the characters feel... whiny. Especially Brienne. God, I wanted to smack her.

I love audiobooks, but I think if John Lee narrates the fifth (some day...), I will pass in favor of some Kindle-reading (hopefully).

message 9: by Don (new)

Don | 79 comments That seems to be the consensus on audible as well. I finished Book 1 and Roy Dotrice had me whooping out loud in my truck at the ending. He is brilliant! Book 4 wasn't out when I read this before. It's good to know about John Lee. I think I will go through 1-3 with audio and then switch to print.

message 10: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey J | 32 comments I am a little worried now, I have listened to the first three already (did not even realize the 4th was out yet till this thread) and now I don't know if I should listen to it or not.

All of you guys are scaring me.

unread topics | mark unread