Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Serieses! > Reminder about series creation

Comments (showing 1-50 of 130) (130 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Cait (last edited Oct 06, 2010 08:30AM) (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Hey guys, just to remind y'all who are working with series how this works: to create a new series, you can click on the "add series" link from a book page only once. After that, you need to use the "add book" link from the series page to add the books to the existing series. If you click on the "add series" link for the next book in the series, you will end up with duplicate series with the same name and only one book in each series!

The steps for creating a new series:
1. Find a book in the series.
2. From the book's edit page, scroll down to series and click add.
3. In the edit series page, put in the series name.
4. Still in the edit series page, click "add book" and search for the other books in the series.
5. Add all of those books.
6. Save the series.

The steps for adding a book to a series once the series has been created once:
1. Find a new book which should be added to the series.
2. Memorize it (or just leave the record open in a different tab).
3. Find a different book that's already in the series.
4. Click on the series name in its title.
5. Click on edit to open the series for editing.
6. Click "add book", search for the new book, and add it.
7. Save the series.

Don't do this:
1. Find a new book in the series.
2. Open its edit page, scroll down to series, and click add.
3. Put in the same series name.
4. Save the series.
--This has not added the book to the series! You can test this by clicking on the series name in the book title: if you don't see the other books in the series, you didn't add the book to the existing series. If you've done this, delete the new series (click edit on the series page, scroll to the bottom, and click delete), go to the correct series listing, and follow the steps for adding a book to a series.

willaful I've been wanting to make this same post, so thanks!

Carolyn (seeford) | 572 comments Excellent primer - thanks Cait!

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) Perhaps the link should be renamed to "create series"? That might avoid some confusion for people thinking that they can just click the link and add the book to an existing series.

Chris  (haughtc) | 142 comments Good idea, Becky (yeah, I know you hear that a lot - heh). It took me some getting used to. I could see where "Add Series" might be mistaken for "Add to Series".

Sandra | 3307 comments Glad I've been doing it right! Thanks Cait for the synopsis. Very easy to follow.

Deborah | 382 comments Also try not to create duplicate series. I know it is difficult without a search function, but just look at the second and third books in a series to verify that a new series needs to be created.
The original script only picked up books that had the format of Title (series name, #1). If you come across a book that is number one in a series, but didn't have the correct format, there could be a series out there with some or all of the other books and you can just edit that series to add the missing books.
Some people omitted the series and number on the first book when the name of the series was the same as the first book.

Jordi Balcells (jordibal) | 4 comments I have been looking for a way to delete a duplicate series. One book was linked to two series, which were really the same, but each one had a different ID. One of them had all the books in the series, while the other had only one.

I was trying to delete a series from the book page, but it must be done from the series instead (makes sense!). Click on a series, go to "edit" and then to "delete", just below the "Save" button. Obviously, make sure to delete the right series.

BTW, I'm new here. I registered last week at Goodreads and have only been a librarian for a couple of days. Much to learn!

Mountie | 17 comments Thank you Cait for the post. I have been working on series for a while and all of your hints are very helpful. I can't wait till the new series engine is populated throughout Goodreads and the (Title, Series #) can be removed, or not put in. I love the new series engine.

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments I just wanted to bump this with a request: please, when you create a series, try to add all of the existing books in the series to it!

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Abigail, that's usually a javascript problem, either your browser's or the website's. If your browser is working fine (you might want to try closing and reopening it, or using a different browser, or opening other webpages to see if you have problems on other websites), you can report it (with links to the page in question, in case it's specific to that page) on the Feedback group; usually when there's a site-wide scripting problem then people will be reporting problems with all sorts of javascript-based functions at the same time.

message 12: by Kellee (last edited Nov 06, 2010 02:32PM) (new)

Kellee (KelleeMoye) I don't know how to really work with series and I found a mistake and don't know how to edit. Help.

The Curse of the Wendigo is listed as The Monstrumologist #3 when it is only #2. How do you fix that?

Deborah | 382 comments Kellee wrote: "I don't know how to really work with series and I found a mistake and don't know how to edit. Help.

The Curse of the Wendigo is listed as The Monstrumologist #3 when it is only #2...."

I fixed it, the one listed as #2 was really another edition of the first book just with a different title. I combined it with the other editions and then edited the series to change the number from 3 to 2.

Kellee (KelleeMoye) Deborah wrote: "Kellee wrote: "I don't know how to really work with series and I found a mistake and don't know how to edit. Help.

The Curse of the Wendigo is listed as The Monstrumologist #3 when..."

Thanks!

Nile daughter (Niledaughter) | 85 comments Can this be applied to one book in parts (volumes )or encyclopedia ?

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/78...

or

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17...

Deborah | 382 comments Nile daughter wrote: "Can this be applied to one book in parts (volumes )or encyclopedia ?

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/78...

or

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17......"

Yes, go ahead and create a series for it.

Nile daughter (Niledaughter) | 85 comments Done , but the arrows are not moving to arrange them !

http://www.goodreads.com/series/54177...

Sandra | 3307 comments Nile daughter, I got the arrows to arrange them. You need to drag and drop NOT click.

Nile daughter (Niledaughter) | 85 comments Sandra
How smart of me :p ..Thanks :)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Cait wrote: "I just wanted to bump this with a request: please, when you create a series, try to add all of the existing books in the series to it!"

I'm just bumping this again because I've seen it more lately! I know it's easy when doing other work on a book to quickly create a new series for it and then move on, but a series which is linked only to a random book in the middle of its sequence is going to be almost impossible for any other librarian to find and work on, especially since there isn't even a rudimentary search available on series yet. That way only lies more and more duplicate series....

MissJessie--former librarian (MissJessie) When will the series(es) become searchable, editable, and duplicate-combinable? I have stopped making series entries due to the clumsiness of the current situation.

This seems like a high priority type item.

Deborah | 382 comments MissJessie wrote: "When will the series(es) become searchable, editable, and duplicate-combinable? I have stopped making series entries due to the clumsiness of the current situation.

This seems like a high priority..."

They are editable now. The duplicates have to be deleted after the entries have been added to the existing series.

Deborah | 382 comments Just wanted to remind people again that using the "add series" link from a book page does not add the book to an existing series, it creates a new series. Please combine editions including translations, before creating a series.

Rebecca (bexDK) | 45 comments Is there a way to search for series? It can be difficult to know, in a series with many books in which some are not included in the series, if the series exists at all. The books might be marked with the series name and a book number in () but still have the series not exist.

Int he ones I have worked on lately, I have tried to check the various titles for series info before creating, but when there are 25 books in it and several editions of each, it is possible that I missed it.

message 26: by rivka, Volunteer Mod (new)

rivka | 20972 comments Mod
Rebecca wrote: "Is there a way to search for series?"

Not yet, unfortunately.

Deborah | 382 comments Rebecca wrote: "Is there a way to search for series? It can be difficult to know, in a series with many books in which some are not included in the series, if the series exists at all. The books might be marked wi..."

If the first one doesn't have a series, just check one or two that have the series formatted correctly in parenthesis. When series were first created a script was run to automatically generate series, but it only got the correctly formatted ones, that's where most of the partial series came from.

The partials I'm really complaining about are where people create a series for one translated edition in the middle of the series.

message 28: by Nile daughter (last edited Jan 07, 2011 09:26AM) (new)

Nile daughter (Niledaughter) | 85 comments Deborah
Should not we make the series with original books and then any translation could be added to the other related editions without editing the series ?

Deborah | 382 comments Nile daughter wrote: "Deborah
Should not we make the series with original books and then any translation could be added to the other related editions without editing the series ?"

Yes exactly, translations need to be combined with the other editions. Series apply to all editions of a book.

Marie (Melfwain) | 2 comments I have a question. I was adding a new series and somehow I did the same thing for 2 books in it (regarding the title) and it shows differently on the page.

Ex : http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/56...

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/56...

I am not sure what I did wrong as I put the title the same way for both.

Deborah | 382 comments Marie wrote: "I have a question. I was adding a new series and somehow I did the same thing for 2 books in it (regarding the title) and it shows differently on the page.

Ex : http://www.goodreads.com/book/sh..."

If you mean how the series showed twice on the book page, I fixed it. It's either an extra space or an odd character that doesn't show because all I did is delete and replace the space before the parenthesis and delete the space at the end.

Marie (Melfwain) | 2 comments Thank you!

J.L. Bryan (JL_Bryan) | 3 comments Would someone who is a librarian mind combining my Jenny Pox & Tommy Nightmare books into a series? I don't have access to do that & I didn't want to bother anyone applying for librarian status just to make one fix.

Thanks so much!

Jeff

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) J.L. wrote: "Would someone who is a librarian mind combining my Jenny Pox & Tommy Nightmare books into a series? I don't have access to do that & I didn't want to bother anyone applying for librarian status ju..."

Looks like they are already in a series, J.L.

http://www.goodreads.com/series/57149...

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) Cait... You need to start wearing bells or something! You're like a ninja! :P

J.L. Bryan (JL_Bryan) | 3 comments Wow, thanks, Cait! You are like a ninja :)

Jon (JonP) | 86 comments Since J.L. does not have librarian status but is an author...
Could someone combine/rename the jl Bryan author (4 books, 1 fan) with J.L. Bryan
http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...

J.L. Bryan (JL_Bryan) | 3 comments Thanks for doing that, too! :)

Lindea (aednil) | 9 comments I've added all the books in a series today and made the series page, how do I make it appear on the Author's page?

Series:
http://www.goodreads.com/series/58634...
Author
http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...

Deborah | 382 comments Lindea wrote: "I've added all the books in a series today and made the series page, how do I make it appear on the Author's page?

Series:
http://www.goodreads.com/series/58634...
Author
http://www.g..."

You just wait. The author pages are cached for performance reasons, it should show up in 24 to 48 hours.

message 42: by rivka, Volunteer Mod (new)

rivka | 20972 comments Mod
Indeed. It's there now.

L.K. Rigel (likari) | 28 comments Hi - I hope this is the right place to mention this.

First, thank you to whoever set up the Apocalypto series! However, I notice there is a typo in the title at this link http://www.goodreads.com/series/57367

It should be Apocalypto, not Acocalypto. I know it's a horrible word for the fingers to type! What was I thinking?

If this can be fixed, thank you so much,

LK

message 44: by willaful (last edited Apr 26, 2011 03:49PM) (new)

willaful Fixed.

Anything to put in the description?

L.K. Rigel (likari) | 28 comments Willaful, thank you. I'd be happy to write something for a description. About how many words should it be?

LK

willaful I don't think we have a standard. I usually put the genre, perhaps the historical period if I know it, and if there are links to other books or series.

Hellen (likaspain) | 5 comments Hi my librarian friends!
I have a question regarding this topic. Can the volumes of a comic/manga be considered a series? I ask 'cause I've seen people don't do it.

Hope it isn't a stupid question :)

Deborah | 382 comments Hellen wrote: "Hi my librarian friends!
I have a question regarding this topic. Can the volumes of a comic/manga be considered a series? I ask 'cause I've seen people don't do it.

Hope it isn't a stupid questio..."

yes

Michael Tucker | 1 comments How long does it take for the series to show on the authors page? I'm new and set up a few, followed the directions, everything was numbered correctly, when I hit the series link that showed when I pulled a book back up the series showed but it did not show on the author page for about a week?

Thanks

Sandra | 3307 comments They are cached. I've had some turn up in half an hour, others the next day. Luck of the draw :)

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Curse of the Wendigo (other topics)
The Chasch (other topics)
The Wannek (other topics)
City of the Chasch (other topics)
Servants of the Wankh (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Emma Lathen (other topics)
Valerie Tripp (other topics)