South Shore Readers discussion

Boston Book Fest

Comments (showing 1-42 of 42) (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (last edited Oct 05, 2010 06:19PM) (new)

Jessica | 726 comments Mod
In case you hadn't heard the Boston Book Fest is this month (october 16th). More info here: http://www.bostonbookfest.org/

Anyone planning on going? A few authors that I like are going to be there. I might go check it out.

message 2: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 105 comments oooooh~ that sounds exciting! i would love to go!

message 3: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (Nancy_M) | 39 comments I'm volunteering there with Boston Cares. If you see me, make sure to say hi.

message 4: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 98 comments I am thinking about going too.

message 5: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (Nancy_M) | 39 comments I don't think I'll be volunteering for the event so if you guys are going, let me know. I'd love to meet up and go with you.

message 6: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 105 comments Since there seems to be an interest, are we getting a group together?

message 7: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (Nancy_M) | 39 comments Random thoughts from Nancy:

1) Agree to meet at a specific time and place and decide where to go from there
2) Post here which events we'd like to attend and see where to go from there

message 8: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 105 comments Works for me...

message 9: by Jessica (new)

Sounds good to me. I may or may not be able to go. It depends upon if I have family visiting this weekend.

message 10: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 98 comments I am planning on going, but will not be in Boston until 1:00. And I really would like to attend the Memoir: Writing a Life seminar.

message 11: by Jessica (new)

if i can go, i am interested in (yes, some of these may conflict):

Tyler Florence Cooking for the Family 10 AM
Guided Open Mic 10:30 AM
Pop Culture at Noon
From Page to Screen at 1:30 PM
One City One Story Town Hall 2:30 PM
Home & Away 3 PM

message 12: by Andrea (new)

Andrea I want to go but it looks like this year is out for me due to too much school work that I just can't get done before the weekend. I hope you guys have a great time and come back with some good stories!

message 13: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (Nancy_M) | 39 comments I'm torn about 10 am. I like Tyler Florence but am interested in Israel/Palestine. I definitely want to go to Pop Culture at noon and some others I can't remember right now in the afternoon (sorry, I just started a job this week and have to get up at 5:freaking:30 am after two months of not working).

message 14: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Did everyone have a good time? Anything that stood out as really good or bad? Seems like a lot of people I know had plans to go and then had other obligations and I didn't see any media coverage of the event which makes me sad!

message 15: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (Nancy_M) | 39 comments The short answer is that it was awesome. I haven't had a chance to do a full review but it felt great to wander around Copely Square and take in the atmosphere.

More to come...

message 16: by Andrea (new)

Andrea That's awesome Nancy, I really hope I get to go next year!

message 17: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (Nancy_M) | 39 comments This year's book fest is on October 15th.

Jennifer Egan of A Visit from the Goon Squad will be there along with Ha Jin, Richard Russo, and many more great presenters.

I loved it last year and can't wait for this year's edition.

message 18: by Jessica (new)

Oooo. I will definitely have to try to make it this year. anyone interested in an outing??

message 19: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 98 comments I definitely want to do it again. It was great last year.

message 20: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (Nancy_M) | 39 comments I loved it last year. I'm definitely in for this year.

message 21: by Jessica (new)

There's a few more authors in addition to the ones that Nancy mentioned above that I've read and enjoyed...Chuck Klosterman, Meg Wolitzer, Steve Almond, Michael Ondaatje, Gregory Maguire, Sandra Beasley, and Julia Alvarez.

Here's a list of the presenters: http://www.bostonbookfest.org/present...

message 22: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 22 comments I would LOVE to go, my sister too!!!!

message 23: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 364 comments Mod
Damn it! I would love to go but I already have a hair appointment, a soccer game, and the AFSP 5k walk that day (and it's doubtful that I'll make them all!) Have a great time, I'm jealous!

message 24: by Jessica (new)

As you all could probably guess, if I go I will be bringing little B with me. :) Looks like the events run from about 10:30ish to 5:30ish.

Schedule is here: http://www.bostonbookfest.org/2011_sc...

The one's I am interested in are (with some schedule conflicts...oh nooo!!):

Eat your Words (about food/cooking writing) 12:00pm - 1:15 Boston Public Library Washington Room 700 Boylston Street

Fiction: Time is... (Jennifer Egan and others) 12:45pm - 1:45 PM Old South Church Sanctuary 645 Boylston Street

One City One Story (Richard Russo and others)
4:00pm- 5 PM Boston Public Library Rabb Auditorium 700 Boylston Street

Far out Fiction (Gregory Maguire, Chuck Klosterman and others) REQUIRES TICKETS (free)-- 4:30pm - 5:45 PM Trinity Church Sanctuary 206 Clarendon Street

message 25: by Jessica (new)

Oh, and the exhibitor booths should be fun: http://www.bostonbookfest.org/exhibit...

If we meet up maybe we could plan on a nice lunch somewhere.

message 26: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 22 comments I definitely want to check out Eat your Words
and Far our Fiction.... I've never been so this is very exciting!!

message 27: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 98 comments Let me know what the plan is. And where we should meet.

message 28: by Andrea (new)

Andrea I can't go AGAIN! We have out of state company :(

message 29: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 105 comments i would love to go as well...books, boston and a lunch!

message 30: by Jessica (new)

we have swimming in hanover until 10:30 AM and will probably take the train in. I am not sure how many full sessions I will be able to sit through with the little man, but I definitely want to check out the exhibitor booths.

How about this place for lunch? it is across the street from the Pru and a couple of blocks up Boylston from the library. I haven't ever been there but the lunch menu looks interesting. http://www.backbaysocialclub.com/wp-c...

Any other lunch ideas?

message 31: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 22 comments That sounds great, I like the menu a lot! I'm in!!

message 32: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 105 comments the menu looks good! i'm not too familiar with the area, so perhaps i could meet someone at the train stop, either at braintree/quincy adams or in town? the one i want to see the most is jennifer egan, other than that i'm flexible.

message 33: by Jessica (new)

We'll probably catch the train from Braintree...sometime around 11 or 11:30.

I'll make a 2 PM reservation for a late lunch since the Egan session ends at 1:45.

message 34: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (Nancy_M) | 39 comments I won't be able to go to the festival on Saturday. I'm so sad! I loved it last year but I have an unexpected family obligation.

I'm looking forward to hearing all about it at the Invisible Monsters get together.

message 35: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 22 comments Woohoo, I'm so excited for this weekend!!
I'm not sure if you have already given a head count for lunch but I wanted to let you know that my sister is coming too! =0) It is going to be such a great day!

message 36: by Denise (new)

Denise (RIBeachgirl) | 77 comments Hey Ladies! I'm headed in as well, but I'm meeting up with an old friend who happens to be a librarian. We're definitely going to the Eat Your Words session and Far Out Fiction session. Not sure what we're doing in between. I really want to check out True Story, but my friend wants to go to New England Stories. Either way, I won't be able to meet up for a 2 pm lunch. I hope I'll run into a few of you there! I'm driving in around 10-10:30 am, parking at Boston Common garage ($11 for all day parking on weekends) and walking the 5 or 6 blocks down Boyleston. Melissa - I can pick you up at Quincy Adams and drive you in if you don't mind going a little early.
See you there!

message 37: by Jessica (new)

For lunch I have headcount of 6 so far:
Lisa & sister
Melissa
Me, little man, and maybe my mother (heh)

message 38: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 105 comments @denise: that sounds perfect! i will send you a message with my telephone number shortly

@jessica: i can't wait!

message 39: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 22 comments I'm so excited for tomorrow!!!!!

message 40: by Jessica (new)

It was nice to meet you and your sister, Lisa. Thanks for joining Melissa and I (and my mom and boy) for lunch! Hope to see you at Rustic Kitchen in a couple of weeks.

Did you guys go to any events in the afternoon?

message 41: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 22 comments It was nice meeting all of you too! I will definitely be at Rustic Kitchen, I'm looking forward to it! After we left from lunch we went to one event for Richard Russo and even though I haven't read anything by him yet, I put 3 of his books on my to read list.... he had quite the turn out.

message 42: by Jessica (new)

I have really enjoyed the two books that I have read by Richard Russo...Empire Falls and Straight Man. I have That Old Cape Magic on my to read list as well.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Visit from the Goon Squad (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Richard Russo (other topics)