Romance, Historical or Otherwise discussion

Everything E-Reader > Ereader Queries

Comments (showing 1-50 of 170) (170 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Tamra (new)

Tamra If you are an owner of the B&N Nook and would like to borrow or share Lend Me books, check out the group I just started called the "Nook Chick Lit Lending Group".

message 2: by Clara (new)

Clara | 5 comments I just love my nook. I mostly read chicklit. I am glad you started this group Tamra.

message 3: by Ladyhawk (last edited Nov 04, 2010 07:40PM) (new)

Ladyhawk | 381 comments That is a great idea. I just recently reviewed the Nookcolor and was completely blown away by the technology. To be able to read magazines in full color? I have been in complete opposition to the e-readers for all the right reasons, , but I just may have been won over by that darn Nook.

message 4: by Kay (new)

Kay (CaliKay) | 1216 comments I love my NOOK! I take it with me everywhere. If I forget it at home, I still have my NOOK Android app on my cell phone....comes in handy if I'm waiting in line somewhere.

message 5: by Marcella (new)

Marcella (Marcella6) | 886 comments What the heck is the B&N Nook?

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) It's an ereader, like a Kindle. I own a Nook and love it.

Getting to test drive one in the store sold me.

message 7: by Marcella (new)

Marcella (Marcella6) | 886 comments Thanks Stacia! I should check that out. I have a million books I want to get, but not enough room for them all. Are they only sold at B&N?

message 8: by Carla (new)

Carla  (CarlaAnn13) I have had my nook since January as I got it for Christmas from my husband. I love love love it. It is like carrying my library with me. It may sound strange but I like the privacy of not displaying the titles of books I am reading. I had named my nook -Nookster-which I thought was unusual until I went into the local B&N and saw their display nook was called Nookie. Anyone else name theirs?

message 9: by Marcella (new)

Marcella (Marcella6) | 886 comments Is the nook easy to read from? Its difficult for me to read from a computer screen so if its anything like that I can't do it. Do you have to buy books from B&N cuz I usually get my books from Amazon?

message 10: by Kay (new)

Kay (CaliKay) | 1216 comments I like the ereaders bc of the e-ink. So, it's nothing like reading on your PC. It actually looks like a page of a book. On the readers w the backlight (ipad,color Nook, cell app) I can't read books that long bc it's not as easy on the eyes. If you have a B&N nearby, go check out the Nook. Also, some Targets sell Sony ereaders or the Kindle. So, you can see how it looks also.

The Nook, Sony, iPad uses the epub format so you can buy ebooks from different sources if it doesn't have the security on there. The Kindle can read books from Amazon only & pdfs. I think you can pay a few cents to have Amazon convert a ebook to read on the Kindle. There's pros & cons to to each reader....it just all depends on your preference.

I personally like the Nook (i had a Sony reader before also) bc if there are any problems, I can take it into B&N and they will help me out. Also you can read books for free whenever you're inside a store.

message 11: by Kay (new)

Kay (CaliKay) | 1216 comments Carla wrote: "I have had my nook since January as I got it for Christmas from my husband. I love love love it. It is like carrying my library with me. It may sound strange but I like the privacy of not displayin..."

That's cute. I should come up with a nickname. LOL

message 12: by Marcella (new)

Marcella (Marcella6) | 886 comments Thanks Kay. I do have a B&N near me so I will check it out.

message 13: by Tamra (last edited Nov 08, 2010 01:42PM) (new)

Tamra The Nook is so easy to read. You can change the font size which comes in handy.
When I'm on the treadmill, I put the font on extra large so it's easier to read. A funny story, there was a free steamy romance I down loaded. I was reading it on an airplane and found myself blushing. It was really good and I wanted to continue reading it, I put the font on extra small so nobody could read over my shoulder.

I love the Nook for the Lend Me feature. I borrow lots of great books I otherwise wouldn't read. I just read Sarah's Key that I borrowed from another Nook owner. I passed this book up so many times before I had my Nook.

I currently have "Welcome to Temptation" by Jennifer Cruise and "A Reckless Bargain" by Elizbeth Powell available to borrow.

message 14: by Tamra (new)

Tamra There are several historical romance as well as other romance books available to borrow on the "nook chick lit lending group" page.

message 15: by Regina (new)

Regina (ReginaR) Marcella wrote: "Is the nook easy to read from? Its difficult for me to read from a computer screen so if its anything like that I can't do it. Do you have to buy books from B&N cuz I usually get my books from Am..."

Marcella I have had a Kindle for about 1.5 years and highly recommend it, especially if you already get your books from Amazon.

message 16: by Marcella (new)

Marcella (Marcella6) | 886 comments Thanks Regina! I am going to check out the Nook and see how it compares to the Kindle.

message 17: by Regina (last edited Dec 14, 2010 10:15AM) (new)

Regina (ReginaR) Kay wrote: "I like the ereaders bc of the e-ink. So, it's nothing like reading on your PC. It actually looks like a page of a book. On the readers w the backlight (ipad,color Nook, cell app) I can't read books..."

Hi Kay! :) I have a Kindle and I just wanted to say that is not entirely true, with the Kindle you can buy from lots of vendors, the limitation is that it doesn't read ePub with DRM -- but many vendors (I buy from numerous different ones) sell books in Amazon's format. Just a clarification :) I think it is a common misconception about the Kindle. :)

For what it is worth, Amazon has a dedicated 1-800 24 hour hotline just for the kindle -- I stepped on mine once (totally my fault), I was on the phone with Amazon Kindle support for less than 5 minutes -- and by the next day I had a brand new kindle that had been shipped to me overnight at no cost to me. :) Also, another time someone I share an account with (that is a cool thing about the Kindle, Amazon allows account sharing with other people -- either temporarily to get all their books or for long periods of time) -- anyway, someone I share an account with accidentally ordered a book they didn't want. I called the Kindle support line and Amazon refunded the book for me -- Amazon has a policy that you can return (i.e. get a refund) for ebook purchases 7 days after you purchase it. I never thought I would use it but it is pretty cool.

Also for what it is worth, all ebooks have the same basic functions -- easy to read, quick in turning pages, easy to hold, quick and easy download purchases, arhciving of books by the vendor, etc. And I don't think there is a "wrong" purchase as far as an ereader, but I obviously think the kindle is a superior product -- but that is me personally based on my own preferences.

What I would recommend doing is: 1) read the forums to see what owners like and dislike I believe there is a nook forum and a sony forum, there is www.kindleboards.com 2) try them out in person -- a few times, but also know that Amazon has a 30 day full refund policy -- if you want to return it within 30 days, amazon gives you a full refund with no re-stocking fee, pretty cool. 3) compare prices of ebooks and availability. Before I bought my ebook (there was only sony and kindle at the time) I tracked prices and book availability for awhile -- even kept a chart. I still do -- I find that Amazon tends to have more availability but the prices are pretty much the same across the board (because the publishers set the price, which sucks) however, to the extent a vendor differs in price -- Amazon is usually less but usually the prices are the same so it doesn't matter (at least for what I am buying, maybe other books are different). And 4) consider the pluses and downsides of each and what matters to you. And my final recommendation -- lol -- is to just buy one and enjoy! You can't go wrong, ereaders are awesome and there are great products on the market right now so I believe whatever you choose you will enjoy. :) My only regret in getting my kindle is that I took 6 months to decide before I bought it! I wish I would have just jumped right in!

Also, both the Nook and Kindle are sold in refurbished models -- which is cool.

message 18: by Kay (new)

Kay (CaliKay) | 1216 comments Thank you for clarifying, Regina!

Everyone I know who has an ereader loves it! I personally love mine and never imagined that I could read so much!! This year alone I've read around 150 books and it's only b/c of the easy accessibility to ebooks.

Also, the latest news is the new color e-ink: http://www.eink.com/display_products_... I can't wait for this to be available through the NOOK!

message 19: by Regina (new)

Regina (ReginaR) I agree I have not heard any complaints!

Ohhh! Are you getting that Kay?

message 20: by Kay (new)

Kay (CaliKay) | 1216 comments Regina wrote: "I agree I have not heard any complaints!

Ohhh! Are you getting that Kay?"

If I had money to throw around, I'd definitely get it! LOL I'll probably have to wait for the next generation or later.

message 21: by Regina (new)

Regina (ReginaR) :) Yeah, I talked myself down from a K3 too.

message 22: by Tamra (new)

Tamra Maybe someone will start a Kindle Lending group on here when they start the Lend Me feature.... I bought the Nook mainly for that feature and now the Kindle will have it. I'm sure Nook will come out with something bigger and better and then the Kindle will come out with something bigger and better and then Nook will come out with something bigger and better......

But I must say "I LOVE MY NOOK"!

message 23: by willaful (last edited Nov 26, 2010 09:57AM) (new)

willaful | 103 comments I just ordered a Nook! They have a good Overstock.com deal that I read about at the AAR boards. And my husband got a Kindle for his birthday and I thought it would be good to have more than one kind. The kindle is very nice, hope I will like the Nook as much.

message 24: by Tamra (new)

Tamra Willaful, I can't wait to hear what you think of both e readers.

message 25: by Clara (new)

Clara | 5 comments Kay wrote: "I like the ereaders bc of the e-ink. So, it's nothing like reading on your PC. It actually looks like a page of a book. On the readers w the backlight (ipad,color Nook, cell app) I can't read books..."

Do you know if the nook can read pdfs as well? I have a nook and I also have some books on pdfs in my hard drive. I would like to put them in my nook. Please let me know if that's possible.

message 26: by Kay (new)

Kay (CaliKay) | 1216 comments Hi Clara. Yes, the Nook reads pdfs :) I think the Kindle & Sony does too.

message 27: by Carla (new)

Carla  (CarlaAnn13) I want to put TBH on my Nook but I read some reviews on Barnes & Noble saying the ebook was missing pages. Does anyone know if the problem was fixed?? I really want to buy it for my nook but I don't want to miss anything.

message 28: by willaful (new)

willaful | 103 comments Tamra wrote: "Willaful, I can't wait to hear what you think of both e readers."

Ooops, I missed this until now. Honestly, I like the Kindle sooo much better that I'm hoping my husband will super-spoil me and get me my own for my birthday. The lightness, crispness of the eink and other features make is so much easier to get lost in the book. On the other hand, the swipe screen for the Nook is nice, as is the ability to customize wallpaper and screensavers. And of course being able to download library books and free books from other stores is a big plus.

message 29: by AMythicalBeast (new)

AMythicalBeast | 9 comments Is it possible to read ebook already existing on my hard drive on these readers? I have over three hundred and I really don't want to buy most of them all over again. If I convert them into epub or pdf, can I read them on Nook or Kindle?

message 30: by Regina (new)

Regina (ReginaR) What format are they? Both kindle and nook can read PDF. Nook can read ePub.

message 31: by AMythicalBeast (new)

AMythicalBeast | 9 comments some are in lit, some in pdf and some in rtf. I've been reading a lot about how ebooks are directly sent into the devices, so I wondered if I can actually connect the Reader to my computer and transfer the books- and if they will then be readable.

message 32: by Regina (new)

Regina (ReginaR) Have you checked out the specs for the readers you want? They list what formats can be read or not. Yes, you can connect the reader to your computer and transfer books. To my knowledge neither the Nook or Kindle reads lit or rtf, but I am guessing Calibre will reformat these for you, but I am not sure. I recommend checking out the specs for each on the vendor's website and reading this forum: http://www.mobileread.com/ and this page may be helpful http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparis...

message 33: by willaful (new)

willaful | 103 comments Calibre will help you transfer the books neatly, but it can only convert the format if they don't have DRM.

message 34: by Leea (new)

Leea I think i'm finally going to break down and get a Nook color... I was wondering where you ladies get all these free books? Or your favorite website to get ebooks. Thanks!!

message 35: by Marcella (new)

Marcella (Marcella6) | 886 comments I found a free book when I was on the shop option on the Nook. I am not sure where the other ladies get theres from but I would sure love to know as well.

message 36: by Leea (new)

Leea Marcella, did you get a nook?

message 37: by Marcella (new)

Marcella (Marcella6) | 886 comments I got a Nook Color for as a Christmas gift to myself.

message 38: by Leea (new)

Leea What a great idea!! I told my husband that I'm going to get one for myself for my 33rd birthday. Ha! How do you like it? I can't wait to hide my smut addiction hehe!

message 39: by Marcella (new)

Marcella (Marcella6) | 886 comments I like the Nook. I have had a couple of problems...more like hiccups. But otherwise it is great. I can't find all books I want on there but Stacia told me sites that have ebooks that I can download to my Nook.

message 40: by Leea (new)

Leea Ooooh you will have to share once I get mine :-)

message 41: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) LOL, that's how I wound up with my Kindle. As a Xmas gift to myself.

message 42: by Marcella (new)

Marcella (Marcella6) | 886 comments The cool thing about the Nook is that you can register more than one Nook on an account. I got a Nook for my sister and registered under mine so when I get a book it automatically downloads to hers.

There are some books that I have that are lendable so definitely let me know when you get it.

message 43: by Leea (new)

Leea Wow thanks Marcella!! It will be hard for me to wait til my birthday! Hehe!!

message 44: by Marcella (new)

Marcella (Marcella6) | 886 comments Anytime Leea! I'm excited about it. :-D

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) Leea wrote: "I think i'm finally going to break down and get a Nook color... I was wondering where you ladies get all these free books? Or your favorite website to get ebooks. Thanks!!"

Let me know when you get yours, and I will send a few direct links for places to download. I'd rather not post them in the group because I don't think GR likes that sort of thing.

message 46: by Leea (new)

Leea Okay, Thank you... It wont be till the end of april:)

message 47: by Leea (new)

Leea Got a Nook Color today... So excited! Where do you ladies buy books or get some for free?

message 48: by Marcella (new)

Marcella (Marcella6) | 886 comments I get my books from the sop option on the Nook. There are free books on there sometimes. Stacia is the authority on free books.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) I answered your mail. If you have any questions let me know.

message 50: by Leea (new)

Leea Yes you did ~ Thanks a million :)

« previous 1 3 4

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Count of Monte Cristo (other topics)