Urban Fantasy discussion

UF BOOK CHAT > Are There Too Many Vampire Books Out Today?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 120) (120 new)    post a comment »

Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews I've been hearing some rumblings by some publishers, that there are currently too many vampire themed books in the works. Has anyone else heard this as well? The reason for my inquistion, is that I currently have two novel written and are being ignored by agents. Any input or suggestions are appreciated.

JK (eimajtl) ... if you are going to write a novel with vampires in it, keep them from being sexfiends. Make them the monsters they once were. Or just nix them altogether and go for some other supernatural creature that isn't used so damn much.

Sandy | 123 comments I don't think there are too many vampire books. I pick and choose the ones that I want to read. Like any other book category there are good and bad vampire stories.

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) | 60 comments i nmy opnion there is not enough vampire books out, i admit there's more than fae and demon books which i would like to see a little bit more of, but in my opnion no there are not too many.

Regina (ReginaR) I agree with JK.

Marcia | 5 comments I think a vampire book would be a harder sell right now, since there's such a glut in the market. Vamps had a huge rise in popularity, but that appears to be lessening at last, so publishers are bound to be more nervous about buying new books in a weakening trend.

That being said, I believe that an interesting, well-written book will find a publisher. Look at Jeaniene Frost's series -- she doesn't really do anything new or fresh with the vampire mythology, but her books are really well-paced and lots of fun, so people love them. In my opinion, I wouldn't try changing your book to match some publisher's ever-shifting idea of current trends, and just make sure the book is as awesome as it can be.

Dawn (DawnV) | 366 comments I agree with Marcia I think while it is a harder sell a great story will stand on its own.

Armand (Armand-I) | 43 comments I'm in the same boat as Shelly (also working on a vampire book). I constantly worry that agents will reject my book out of hand because of the topic, but vampire books have been big since the 70's, and they continue to do well. So I hope that, like NFL football, family sitcoms or murder mysteries, vampire novels are one of hose things that are here to stay.

Also, as one reader loses interest in vampire fiction there's always someone else who is just getting into them.

That's what I keep telling myself anyway.

Irene Hollimon | 37 comments Well since I read ten of them last month, I hope they don't think there are too many happening. I think the publishers will go with what sells. As long as vampire books sell, they'll keep putting them out there.

Daniel Arenson | 4 comments I don't mind vampire novels if they're original. If it's another romance novel about angst-ridden, teenage vampires... I just feel like it's trying to cash in on Twilight's success. I also feel there are quite a few "hot vampire hunter girl" novels out there. I do like vampire novels if they're original, however.

Grace (liliannemarie2012) | 10 comments To me, it doesn't really matter what type of characters are within a book, vampires, werewolves, or fae, or whatever. I think that the quality of writing makes all the difference to a reader regardless of the race of the characters. I'd read about almost anything as long as the author(s) makes it worth it.

Marlene Slade (MarleneKSlade) | 5 comments I think there is always room for more vampire, werewolf and witch books. I wish author Anne Rice would return to writing Vampires, but I know her heart is elsewhere. The Twilight books just don't work for me.

Roshio | 7 comments I agree with Marlene, there is always room. However, there are too many vampire books of the same theme! Thats the problem. I'm big into my vampires but I'd lean more to the 'gory' side of things and less of the pretty vampires, which unfortunately aren't so popular at the moment.

Shera (Book Whispers) (SheraBookWhispers) | 173 comments As someone who's been a vampire/UF fan since before it was called UF, and people would give you the craziest looks when you told them you were reading vampire fiction--one word.

NO

I don't think there can be too much. I've read a lot and rarely found any bad eggs. So keep the vamps coming!

Becca (Goblinfan) | 215 comments Bring on the fangs! The concept of vampire fiction has so much potential, there's no way you could have too many vampire books.(IMO) However, as Roshio wrote, there's quite a few right now of the same basic theme. Also, a lot of the vamp books out right now are a part of a series. If you were to represent, or count, every vamp series as one book, I imagine that would reduce the numbers a good bit.

Raven Carluk (ravencorinncarluk) | 10 comments I personally think there are too many angsty vampires, too many wanting to be human or feeling sorry for having to drink blood. There need to be more predators, more vampires that are happy to be vampires. They can see be lonely, or looking for their soulmate, they just need to wear their fangs proudly.

As an author, I'm encouraging people not to indenture themselves to a publish. Do it yourself. Work on your story, make it great. Make or have someone make an awesome cover. Go straight to the readers. Publishers are looking only to make a buck, and don't care about you or your story. They don't care about sharing good writing with the world.

So don't follow their trends. Tell the tale your heart has, and follow YOUR path.

Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews Very good points Ms Raven. I agree with you totally, which is why I am considering a similiar path to getting my book in stores. I believe I have something different from other vampire books, and have stuck to the darkside of the vampire world.

message 18: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 04, 2010 10:53PM) (new)

Everyone is now going on saying there are too many vamp books and that authors who write about vampires are just trying to copy Stephanie Meyer. I do not agree, if you do not like vampire books don’t read them simply. I adore reading about vampires and my story is about them too! And if you look hard enough there are heaps of other books about other supernatural creatures. Also now that Stephanie Meyer has showed that you can write about mythical creatures, more authors are following her lead. They are creating new creatures, bringing back some old ones and some are just using classic ones such as werewolves etc. Yes there are heaps of vamp books but I don’t want them to stop.

Shera (Book Whispers) (SheraBookWhispers) | 173 comments Raynieday wrote: "Everyone is now going on saying there are too many vamp books and that authors who write about vampires are just trying to copy Stephanie Meyer. I do not agree, if you do not like vampire books don..."

If everyone says that any vampire book is trying to copy Stephanie Meyer, then Stephanie Meyer is trying to copy all the vampire books before her.

There may not have been many, but Stephanie Meyer was not the birth of YA vampire books. Far from it.

Honestly every genre is going to have similarities.

Shera (Book Whispers) (SheraBookWhispers) | 173 comments Shera (Book Whispers) wrote: "Raynieday wrote: "Everyone is now going on saying there are too many vamp books and that authors who write about vampires are just trying to copy Stephanie Meyer. I do not agree, if you do not like..."

Exactly! You put it much better then me.

Akaria Gale | 21 comments There can never be enough vampires! I've been reading and writing vampire stories since the early 90s. Anyone know Chelsea Quinn Yarbro? She's been writing about the sexy, mysterious Count Saint Germain since the 70s. Vampires aren't going anywhere.

Just write the story your characters want you to tell. If the internet has shown us anything, it's that there's an audience for anything and everything out there.

Jenese (Readers Confession) (jsnow09) | 14 comments I think right now is a good time for anything paranormal with the vamp/werewolf boom of Twilight. Although I think the key is for originality, add a little something that sets your book/novels apart from the rest of the paranormal/vamp worlds.

But, I don't know thinks there are too many. I love my vamps. :)

message 23: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 06, 2010 11:31PM) (new)

Shera (book whispers) wrote: If everyone says that any vampire book is trying to copy Stephanie Meyer, then Stephanie Meyer is trying to copy all the vampire books before her.

There may not have been many, but Stephanie Meyer was not the birth of YA vampire books. Far from it.

Honestly every genre is going to have similarities.

I agree with you! some one said my story was shit just because it was about vampires and some one us said that im just a wannabe stephanie meyer!

Raven Carluk (ravencorinncarluk) | 10 comments Raynieday, I've had that reaction too. People snub me because it's about vampires, or about romance, or whatever reason. People are always going to snub you.

Being accused of riding Meyer's coattails just means they don't have a memory of books longer than a few years. A few years ago, writing about vampires, you might have been accused of following Laurell Hamilton. And on and on and on.

I find it really unfair that people think like that.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Raven wrote:Raynieday, I've had that reaction too. People snub me because it's about vampires, or about romance, or whatever reason. People are always going to snub you.

Being accused of riding Meyer's coattails just means they don't have a memory of books longer than a few years. A few years ago, writing about vampires, you might have been accused of following Laurell Hamilton. And on and on and on.

I find it really unfair that people think like that.

What jerks! i hate people who dont like books just because of there subject. You might not like vamps but it could be a great book. I know, vamps have been in heaps of stories before Stephanie Meyer wrote twilight. So they cannot say we are a stephanie meyer wannabe's

message 26: by Angelika (last edited Oct 07, 2010 07:25AM) (new)

Angelika | 24 comments Personally, I don't care what "species" the character is. I look for a great well paced thought out story with real characters that suck (no pun intended) me into their world and their stories. If a book doesn't catch me within the first couple of chapters (if it's managed to capture my interest enough to even buy it) I will generally put it down and maybe sometime in the future I might try again. I'm just getting tired of the "jump on the bandwagon" stories, so if you have great unique characters I say go for it and keep trying to find a publisher who believes enough in you to back you.

Ladiibbug Akaria wrote: "There can never be enough vampires! I've been reading and writing vampire stories since the early 90s. Anyone know Chelsea Quinn Yarbro? She's been writing about the sexy, mysterious..."

Yes, I love CQY's Count Saint Germain (the gentleman vampire)! Ten years ago when I was craving vampire reads (before the explosion in this genre) a friend recommended this series and an author named Laurell K. Hamilton *g*. I've never looked back (unless in fear of a vampire chasing me). I have Path of the Eclipse on my October reading list.

Count Saint Germain reads more like historical fiction imo. This vampire is so old ... each book takes place at a different point in world history. I love the historical details and wonderful writing!

Ladiibbug Raven wrote: "Being accused of riding Meyer's coattails just means they don't have a memory of books longer than a few years.

Yes, exactly! It's so silly to give Meyer credit for the popularity of vampire books.

Authors like Richard Laymon, Michael Romkey (an excellent author!), Tanya Huff, Ann Rice, etc., etc. were writing about vampires decades before Meyer. A quick check at Amazon shows that even Kerrelyn Sparks' first book in her comic "sparkly" vampire series (Love at Stake) was published before Meyer. Without checking more pub. dates, it seems like the "sparkly" vampire books/vamp PNR's were gaining major popularity before Twilight.

Maybe Meyer deserves some credit for the popularity of teen/angsty vamp books. I don't read many of those so I don't know. With the explosion of vampire book popularity in the last ten years, it seems natural that a niche of teen vampires would branch off into its own sub-genre without Twilight.

Lisa MH | 315 comments Off-topic: this discussion (of authors "riding the coattails" of other authors) reminds me of something one of my husband's friends told him in high school. She said she liked The Lord of the Rings trilogy, but it was too bad so many ideas came from the Shannara series. Tolkien began writing The Lord of the Rings during World War II. Terry Brooks started the Shannara series in the 1970's. XD

(Just a note, I'm not saying either way on Terry Brooks writing. I haven't read them. I'm not looking to start a discussion on that. Tolkien probably has influenced a huge portion of today's fantasy. I just found it funny as hell that she got her timeline so backwards.)

Becca (Goblinfan) | 215 comments Aurthors read, too. So at some point, some of what they've read is going to influence them to write. And that influence is going to show up in their writing. Not every time, and not so detailed that you can tell who their favorite author was.

Raven Carluk (ravencorinncarluk) | 10 comments Lisa, I actually had a friend of my fiance stop reading fantasy because he though too many people were trying to be Tolkien.

Amber You also need to consider there are different markets for vampire stories. Personally, I found the Twilight series a little too angsty for my liking as a 30-something adult. Maybe I would have liked it back in the 90s when I read L.J. Smith's books, which were likely recently republished to capitalize on the latest trend. However, there are probably plenty of teens out there looking for new vamp stories.

I now prefer funny or romantic stories like Katie MacAlister's Dark Ones or Lynsay Sand's Argeneau series. I occasionally cross into UF series like Hamilton's Anita Blake series. These different genres don't always appeal to the same people though.

message 33: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Oct 07, 2010 03:55PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) There was a point where it was starting to feel like the market was saturated, but then I realized that paranormal is paranormal. The genre isn't going anywhere, so you're going to see some of the same things come back around over and over.

As long as paranormal is a genre, I don't really see how there can be too much.

Vamps, shifters, fairies, elves, angels, demons, aliens, magicians, warlocks, psychics, etc. There comes a point where nothing is really new anymore. You have to take what's already there and put a new spin on it. Sure you can create your own "new" race, but even in doing that, you're going to end up probably coming up with something that has similarities to a creature/power/supernatural situation that already exists in fiction.

I have some upcoming mermaid/siren type reads, so that might be a fun twist. I also wouldn't mind seeing more random creatures like centaurs or something.

Becca (Goblinfan) | 215 comments Stacia, do you like mysteries? There's a series, the Garrett P.I. files by Glen Cook, that has multiple species/races of supernatural beings. The main character is human, and doesn't possess any sort of magical abilities. The other characters are quite the assorted mix, everything from half elves, trolls, grolls, wizards, dwarves, and totally made up ones. As far as I can tell anyway. Thought I'd suggest it in case you're looking for something a little different.

Raven Carluk (ravencorinncarluk) | 10 comments Stacia, you make a good point. Nothing is new.

We might even be coming to a point in adapting old myths, where one could go all the way back to the original, and it would be new again.

message 36: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Oct 08, 2010 02:16PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) I just started reading some fairy tale retellings, and I'm finding them an interesting change.

Also, there's been a surge in greek/roman mythology inspired series the past few years. I loved mythology in high school, so there's a few series I'd like to try (especially in the adult realm, even though I loved Percy Jackson!).

@ Becca - I read a mix of UF/PNR/Sci-Fi/Fantasy, etc. in both YA and adult, so I'm always adding more to my list. I don't mind mysteries either but don't have as much experience with them. Hopefully that will change, but it would be nice to have more time to try everything!

message 37: by Kj (new)

Kj (kathyjacks) For me personally there can never be too many books of any genre out . As far as getting them published I can see where the market might be saturated right now. I say they should publish anything thats good and let the readers decide. I love Vampires but not all vampire books are great. Anyone who is sick of them , don't read them but don't stop them from being made for others to read.

Raven Carluk (ravencorinncarluk) | 10 comments Greco-Roman mythology is okay, but I'd honestly like to see someone make a splash with some other pantheons. Celtic is a strong second runner to Classic, but Norse or Hindu or Japanse would be awesome.

Jess Scott (jesscscott) I have heard that from agents too (some specify on their websites: "NO VAMPIRES").

@ Raven: Oh I love all sorts of mythology. I might try Japanese some time [might incorporate it into a dragon short story I was working on ;)].

John Hartness | 19 comments Well, my entry into the vampire genre is now available, so I'm sure that I've now tipped the balance in the "too many vampires" debate. I understand that we were teetering on the brink of too many for a while now, and being that guy who just can't hold back from pushing something over the cliff just to see the splash, I wrote Hard Day's Knight, a snarky vampire book.

Hard Day's Knight by John G. Hartness

Becca (Goblinfan) | 215 comments Well, John, I put Hard Day's Knight on my to read (and to buy) pile. Sounds like it's just up my alley.

Dawn (DawnV) | 366 comments Congrats om the new book John!
I added it to my TBR.

Miranda (Miranda_Phaal) I don't think there are too many vampire books around. (Although this is coming from someone who really likes vampires.) I mean, are there too many mystery novels, or science fiction novels? It all depends on what you do with the story. Just because it has vampires, doesn't mean it has to have the same story as all other books that have vampires. It's pretty much it's own sub-genre, and can have as much variation as any other. It's true that vampires have become more popular recently, (and a little fluffier, pardon the odd description) but that's all the more reason to have more books about them. More readers, more books. Vampires are one of the things that everyone loves to hate. It's so easy to pick at or fall on the clichés but I think there's still a lot of new places to go within the category.

Shomeret | 233 comments I'm always looking for originality and that's harder to find in a super-saturated sub-genre. I'm one of those who rarely read vampire novels long before Twilight was a blip in its author's imagination because there were already too many cliches in vampire fiction then that made it too predictable. I also rarely read epic fantasy because that's too full of stereotypes and cliches.

Originality is always possible. In fact, it's especially doable if all the books are following the same formula. Writers may need to give the romance oriented vampire novel a rest, and try to find a different direction for vampire fiction.

Miss | 2 comments I think there are too few quality vampire books out there. Haven't read a good one in quite some time. The YA ones are especially bad now. Has anyone read Crimson Kiss by Trisha Baker? It's really different.

Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews I just read Pretty When She Dies by Rhiannon Frater and loved it. Yes it had sexual content in it, but it wasn't the main point of the story. I just put on hold Crimson Kiss with my library, and thank Miss for suggesting it.

Erin | 2 comments I read an interesting blog post by an agent about this last year

http://blog.nathanbransford.com/2009/...

Shomeret | 233 comments Re agent blog post--Readers are getting fatigued by the same old in urban/paranormal fantasy too. At least this reader certainly is.

But I can't resist commenting in response to this blog post that you really shouldn't use the phrase "raising the stakes" when you're talking about vampire fiction.

Miranda (Miranda_Phaal) I agree that vampire-fic has fallen into a bit of a rut lately and I'd like to see some new stuff - but still, I don't think I'll every get tired of it :)

Becca (Goblinfan) | 215 comments Well, the same old vampire stuff could be a good thing. Give it a few years, and then there will be a surge of new vampire stuff. Of course, in those few years, vampires will probably fall out of fashion, which could be either a good thing or bad thing. Depends on how you look at it.
The same urban fantasy/paranormal stuff isn't the exact same from one author to the next. Sure, a lot of basic elements may be similar, but two different authors can't write the same book. I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to explain what I'm thinking here. There will be enough differences in each UF/PN book to keep the genre moving, evolving. A lot of current writers that seem to write similar books, were probably just influenced by the same authors. And it's not impossible for two authors to have similar ideas for books.
Sorry for prattling there, hope that all makes enough sense for everyone to understand. :D

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Hard Day's Knight (other topics)
All Clear (other topics)
Tales of the Otherworld (other topics)
Blackout (other topics)
Pegasus (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Chelsea Quinn Yarbro (other topics)
Connie Willis (other topics)