Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Literary Fiction > Welcome Literary Fiction Authors and Readers!!

Comments (showing 101-150 of 338) (338 new)    post a comment »

message 101: by Lee (new)

Lee Holz | 370 comments Beatrice, the GR book listing is where you added your book to your author profile. You have Hunting for Sparrows listed, but there's no description such as you'd have on the back of a paperback. Join the Goodreads Librarian Group and ask there how to add the description.

message 102: by Lee (new)

Lee Holz | 370 comments Peggy,

I think literary fiction is, like beauty, in the eye of the beholder. Generally, it is "serious" fiction that tries to say something memorable about the human condition.

message 103: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, okay. Then I guess all of my books would be considered literary fiction, except my self-help book.

message 104: by Lee (new)

Lee Holz | 370 comments Peggy wrote: "Oh, okay. Then I guess all of my books would be considered literary fiction, except my self-help book."

They might also fall into another genre, but sometimes genre fans don't like books that are serious. I hesitated before cross-listing my effort in Romance.

message 105: by Anthea (last edited Apr 01, 2012 10:22PM) (new)

Anthea Carson (AntheaJane) | 13 comments Hi,

My novel is called The Dark Lake. It could go in horror/ghost but probably fits better in Literary Fiction. It is the story of a woman haunted by her past.

The Dark Lake by Anthea Carson

*Dr  DLN (DrDLN) | 145 comments Hi Peggy. I will be interested in your self-help book. I have recently published some of my titles under self-help and spiritual series. http://amzn.to/dMBLWW

message 107: by [deleted user] (new)

Cool! The next time THE ANSWERS ARE WITHIN s free for download on kindle is 5/22/12. I give away at least one book on kindle every Tuesday. I only wrote one self-help book. I was looking at yours and they do look interesting especially the one about reincarnation. My fantasy book, 3037, deals with reincarnation.

*Dr  DLN (DrDLN) | 145 comments Whenever you give away self-help, I will like to have a look at it. Might review too. There are not many nonfiction authors. Wish you all the best.
-------------
"We come to love not by finding a perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly": http://amzn.to/dMBLWW http://bit.ly/eLGswA

message 109: by Uvi (new)

Uvi Poznansky | 613 comments Hi everyone! I am an artist and writer. My debut novel, Apart From Love, has just been published in several editions: Kindle, iPad, Nook and paperback. The first chapter is called The White Piano. In it, the protagonist comes back to his childhood home in Santa Monica, and to a contentious relationship with his father. Ben finds himself drawn to his father's new wife, Anita. At the same time, he is deeply affected by learning that his mother, a renowned pianist, has been diagnosed with early-onset alzheimer. I am providing some links (please see below) to let you learn more about the story and about my work.

The book Apart From Love with a Look Inside option:
http://www.amazon.com/Apart-Love-Uvi-...

Rave reviews:
http://www.amazon.com/Apart-From-Love...

My author page on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Uvi-Poznansky/e...

To see my sculptures, paintings and watercolors, and to read a sample of my poems and stories, here is my website:
uviart.com

To read my blog:
http://uviart.blogspot.com/

Richard Sharp (RichardSharp) | 8 comments The Duke Don't Dance by Richard  G Sharp

I'm new to the group also. The Kirkus review of my novel, The Duke Don't Dance, compared it to Henry James and Joseph Heller, so I guess that makes it literary fiction to at least some. Would love to swap goodreads reviews with other literary fiction authors and can easily trade books to do so in Kindle-readablt formats. The novel is available on amazon.com in paperback and Kindle formats.

Beatrice (beatricegerard) | 4 comments Hi, my book Hunting for Sparrows examines when the search for justice becomes revenge, and it was declared "too literary for my list" by a reputable agent. So I guess it qualifies as literary, right?
I tried to make the story fit in a genre, though, but that's in itself a literary joke.

Joseph (jazzman) Anyone know of a few good literary magazines that appreciate minimalist writing. I'm aware of Carve(named in honor of the great Raymond Carver), but few others. Thanks.

Barbara Froman Hi, Everyone—

I just posted the first four chapters of Shadows and Ghosts in a pdf file here:

http://redroom.com/member/barbara-fro...

Hope you'll check it out!

Thanks,
Barb

Denise Baer | 145 comments Hello Everyone,

I have published a poetry e-book Sipping a Mix of Verse, and a dark, psychological suspense Net Switch.

Net Switch is a Goodreads Giveaway. The giveaway runs until July 2 - http://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/sho.... You can read an excerpt of it on Goodreads.

Glad to have joined the group and I'm looking forward to meeting you.

Denise Baer

message 115: by Irene (last edited May 21, 2012 01:11AM) (new)

Irene Black | 9 comments Hi I'm Irene and I'm finding Goodreads a bit of a minefield! Just found this group so here's a bit about my books. All lit fiction, so people tell me. All available as Kindle and paperback. All available from Amazon.

If you like novels about families and 'roots' this one may be just right for you.

Darshan  A Journey by Irene Black a `who do you think you are' novel, that is currently being used as an English Literature Baccalaureate book in France .
Set mainly in Oxford and India: Sara, a young Indian student in Oxford sets out to find her estranged Welsh father - and to escape the prospect of an arranged marriage back in India. The result of her quest, which takes her through Europe, America and India, is not quite what she expected as she gets involved with a dangerous religious cult, a series of romantic catastrophes and discovers disturbing facts about her family history.

'An involving story, beautifully told.' Oxford Times Literary section

A gripping adventure and a poignant romance set in exotic lands.
Moon's Complexion A romantic thriller set in Surrey, India and Sri Lanka.
Hannah, an English journalist, is fleeing from a stalker. She meets Ashok, an Indian doctor. Together they set out to trap the stalker. They fall in love but their romance is hampered by issues involving their overlapping past, as well as some cultural misunderstandings.

‘I challenge anyone to put this book down’ Editor, London Student Newspaper

Even if fantasy is not your thing, this novel will surprise you – try a sample and see!
Noontide Owls by Irene Black A Fantasy for young and old: The Conquering Army of Shoog the Awesome has marched out of Ambamar after 100 years. But freedom does not bring peace. It is left to 14-year-old Mara and the two noble Trumpeters to try and stop the city from destroying itself and all the marvellous beings that inhabit its world.
Pen and ink drawings throughout.

I could not put it down… I really cannot wait for my son to read it. It was fantastic.
Anjali Mittal, children's book author

Joseph (jazzman) I'm reminded of Twain's definition of a classic as "a book everyone talks about but nobody reads."
Think about the books you were forced to read in high school and college. I'm not sure about today, but when I attended those were surely classics... Shakespeare and Milton, Twain and Hemingway and Faulkner.
Twain's remark about a classic is somewhat true. As with jazz and classical music, it takes a special type of person to appreciate such a thing.
Lets be honest.
If your writing has the same seriousness of purpose, and at least to some degree achieves that purpose, you may be said to write literary fiction.
If not, you are, in my opinion, fooling with a type of writing far less noble.

message 117: by Irene (last edited Jun 03, 2012 01:58AM) (new)

Irene Black | 9 comments Interesting comments though I'm not sure I quite follow you, Joseph. A classic isn't quite the same thing as lit fiction, is it? I'd like to feel that my novels will be enduring - who wouldn't... but there are so many good writers out there that I wouldn't presume to even hope for 'classic' status. However, all my novels have 'seriousness of purpose' though I don't know what you mean by 'the same'. Same as what? A classic? I'm sure any 'serious' writer believes fully in the seriousness of their purpose. Personally I can't write unless I have a 'serious purpose' which is why my turnout of books is relatively slow. I don't believe in all that 'you have to write 1000 words every day even if your mind's a blank' stuff. I write a novel or short story when I have something to say.

Terry Tyler (TerryTyler) | 93 comments It's so hard to define 'literary' fiction, isn't it? I've seen people tweeting adverts for their books as 'literary fiction', and when I 'click to look inside' it isn't at all! I think some writers think it means anything that's not filled with references to Prada shoes and ditzy girls having crushes on their bosses.

How would you define it? (ps, I know my books AREN'T it, anyway - they're contemporary women's fiction. There! Nice wide genre!)

message 119: by Irene (last edited Jun 03, 2012 03:09AM) (new)

Irene Black | 9 comments I'm not sure, Trevor. Which is why I've left it to others to define my books as such. I think 'seriousness of purpose' does come into it, though that smacks of the didactic, which isn't my intention. I hope that style comes into it too - the books I regard as literary fiction are beautiful to read as well as having carefully crafted plots and 'serious' (as opposed to trivial) themes. I offer the writer Amitav Ghosh as an example- by and large his books read beautifully , are wonderfully well researched, full of interesting, informative and eye-opening facts, thought-provoking themes, superb characterisation and are unpretentiously readable. Nothing irritates me more than books that are so 'clever' that the average person (me) can't understand them. Another consideration is that literary fiction sometimes (but not always) does not fit easily into another genre.
I take on board the comment someone made about beauty of style etc being subjective. That's true. Our perception of good style also changes over time, but I think it's a case of accepting the conclusions of the majority of readers at the time. And where some books sit on the shelves will always be open to argument.

Joseph (jazzman) I believe most accept that a classic is a work that stands the test of time; it endures. Further, I think it could be argued that those works that do stand the test of time usually are in some way superior to those that fall by the wayside.Part of the reason why a classic lasts may be because of many of the examples cited by Irene(thought provoking themes... carefully crafted plots etc).
In my previous posting, I was attempting to draw( perhaps force) a parallel between a classic and literary fiction.In my view, just as a classic stands out among other works of its kind ,so too does literary fiction.While there are always exceptions to any "rule,"I admit to the conceit that literary fiction is infrequently found in genre fiction like mystery or horror or even science fiction.While some may argue that literary fiction's concern with "the human condition" may be found in genre writing such as the one's I've mentioned,I'd go only so far as to say if it happens at all ,it does so infrequently.
Let the attacks begin.

Irene Black | 9 comments Unfortunately I can't comment on horror or sci-fi, Joseph as I don't read them. But there certainly is some lit fic fantasy (Tolkien for instance), and mystery too, though again I can only think of classics at the moment, like The Moonstone and Rebecca. Other genres also include literary works. Magic realism is frequently literary fiction, such as works by Isobel Allende, Garcia Marquez not to mention Louis de Bernieres. And how about The Life of Pi? Then there are historical, or historically based novels, such as Amitav Ghosh's River of Smoke. Most certainly literary fiction.I tend to think that genre is sometimes quite hard to attribute and much 'non-genre' writing (general fiction) can be fitted into some genre or other, even if it doesn't sit quite comfortably, as I said earlier. But I agree with you in general.

Irene Black | 9 comments Terry wrote: "It's so hard to define 'literary' fiction, isn't it? I've seen people tweeting adverts for their books as 'literary fiction', and when I 'click to look inside' it isn't at all! I think some write..."
Whoops, sorry - just realised I called you Trevor. Such much for me trying to be literary. I can't even read!

Joseph (jazzman) Irene,
I long ago learned the dangers of words like always or never, all or none etc.
That's why I wrote that literary fiction is infrequently found in genre writing. I never said never.
You did a very nice job of pointing out some of those wonderful exceptions.
I agree with you that genre is often hard to attribute. Lables are useful as far as they go; often they don't go very far at all.
While there is, of course, some "literary fiction" that is quite poor, I still maintain that when it comes to mediocre writing,"genre " writing is the best place to start.

Irene Black | 9 comments I certainly don't disagree with you, Joseph. It's a paradox, isn't it, that bookshops, agents and publishers overwhelming prefer to take on novels that sit comfortably in a particular genre (so that they don't have to think about where to place them on the shelves!) The result of this is that it immediately knocks out some of the best writing. It's one of the reasons why, when promoting them, I often try to squeeze my novels into a genre, although they don't (apart from the fantasy) succumb without a fight!

message 125: by J.C. (last edited Sep 04, 2012 01:17AM) (new)

J.C. (CaptKidd) | 36 comments Hello everyone! My name is J.C. Henderson, and my novel "Halfway To Nowhere" is available on amazon as Paperback and Kindle, and I also have a portion of it here on Goodreads available for viewing.

Halfway to Nowhere by J.C. Henderson

Here's the synopsis:

Alex Smith is an ordinary joe lost in an ordinary world, a cruel and dreary place where nothing turns out as planned. He works the night shift at a dead end job that barely pays the bills, his sleazy landlord swindles any money that's left over, his apartment only a tiny box with roaches for company. His absent father suddenly walks back into his life asking for redemption, his friends gone or unavailable. What makes matters worse is that Alex is taunted by recurring dreams where he wakes to an empty world, where there is no one left around but him, nothing but empty streets and an empty city. Put simply, his life is a boat without oars in a sea of shallow water, and all he wishes for is some inkling to life purpose, a direction to happiness and self worth.

When Lexi, a recently impregnated prostitute crosses his path, he invites her to stay with him for a time until she can get her own life together. This small act of kindness will send him down a bizarre spiral of events that will change his life in a way he never could have predicted, and into a shape that could only come from life itself.

http://amzn.com/B005BUI6LY Kindle

http://amzn.com/1478173165 Paperback

message 126: by Marc (last edited Jul 01, 2012 02:05AM) (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 654 comments You've not met such a powerful woman as Karen Dash in my novel A B and E She scares me and I wrote her, as she cajoles, seduces, wheedles, unburdens directly into the ear of the reader.

If you like unreliable narrators, then the one in "Not In My Name" leads the reader a merry dance as he constantly hides his identity from you and with good reason... Not In My Name

If you like variety, then either of my flash fiction anthologies "52FF" 52FF or "16FF" 16FF could sate your thirst. Paeans to language and metaphor both.

Thanks

Marc

Anthony Caplan (Bookfarmer) | 11 comments Hi! My book Latitudes - A Story of Coming Home is published today and is also listed as a Goodreads Giveaway until the end of July. It is a coming of age story set on an international stage, with parental abductions, peer relationships and belonging as some of the major themes.

Christamar Varicella | 8 comments Hello,
http://dailybrass.blogspot.com/ is a humorous blog devoted to literary parodies. What is that, you may ask. Well, it includes irreverent open letters to literary authors (Roth, Kerouac, Tom Wolfe are a few), reviews of made up books, and a serialized romance parody called The Oiliest Secret. There are also links to some of my published stories written while I was working on my MFA in creative writing. They will soon be collected and published under the title, Too Weird: Stories by Christamar Varicella. Please check it out.

message 129: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 654 comments No new posts here for a week... How can literary fiction hope to compete with the other genres? :-(

Come on chaps and chapesses, let's show them it's not all zombies, vampires and mummy bondage! :-)

52FF
Not In My Name

message 130: by Margaret (last edited Jul 09, 2012 03:12AM) (new)

Margaret Sharp (MargaretLynetteSharp) | 215 comments I think my books qualify as 'literary fiction' since I've been told they have literary merit. I've already put them in other genres, but I dare say that's acceptable.
My titles are 25 Stories of Life and Love in Australia, A Taste of Life and Love in Australia, The Essence of Life and Love in Australia,Reflections of Life and Love in Australia, 60 Questions, Insights and Reminiscences, and Long and Short Australian Stories.

'A Taste of Life and Love in Australia' has received two, genuine 5 star reviews to date.

The books are all written by me, and edited by my husband Ronald Sharp, the creator of the Grand Organ in the Concert Hall of the Sydney Opera House.

Anthea Carson (AntheaJane) | 13 comments Here is the book trailer for my literary fiction The Dark Lake
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RhpuX...

Damon Marbut (DamonFerrellMarbut) | 25 comments Awake in the Mad World by Damon Ferrell Marbut

A coming of age novel about pursuing your passions at all costs, friendship, and never giving up the celebration of life as it meets you in all forms--grief, joy, triumph, laughter, confusion. And of course, so much more.

Randy Massey | 7 comments Glad to be in this group! My name is Randy Massey. Finally finished my first novel, and now working on a trilogy to follow.

Margaret Sharp (MargaretLynetteSharp) | 215 comments Margaret wrote: "I think my books qualify as 'literary fiction' since I've been told they have literary merit. I've already put them in other genres, but I dare say that's acceptable.
My titles are 25 Stories of Li..."

A Taste of Life and Love in Australia A Taste of Life and Love in Australia by Margaret Lynette Sharp

This title has been rated five stars on Goodreads by Jenny Schwartz, Mark, and Jeanette, and four stars by Shelleyrae.

Damon Marbut (DamonFerrellMarbut) | 25 comments Hi everyone. The following is a link to a recent interview where I discuss my literary fiction, coming of age novel, Awake in the Mad World. Hopefully this will make your decision to read the novel easier.

http://www.thebookcast.com/fiction/in...

And I do hope the book leaves a lasting impression on you. Enjoy, friends!

Awake in the Mad World by Damon Ferrell Marbut

message 136: by [deleted user] (new)

Based on reviews I have for this book, Margaret of the North, I am throwing in my two-cents worth here. I have had such varied reactions to this book and I think it's because some "got" what I was trying to do and others expected a more genre-type novel with nail-biting plot twists. I focus on character development (growing-into-maturity as a Victorian woman) and on the "interiority" of the main protagonists. The book is also classified as historical romance.

message 137: by [deleted user] (new)

In case you're wondering about what I meant by varied reviews—not here on goodreads, but on amazon—someone gave it a 1/5 for its "painfully bad grammar." Go figure. Even those who wished for more conflict in the plot thought the book well-written. C'est la vie.

T. L.  Curtis (tlcurtis) | 17 comments Greetings! I'm T.L. Curtis. I've published a novelette ("Show Her") and a collection of poetry ("Feign") so far.

I really am looking for feedback from people other than friends and family, so I would love for someone to check out one of my books and leave a review of some kind. I'll certainly be doing the same for author's I come across on Goodreads! Thanks!

Show Her by T. L. Curtis Feign by T. L. Curtis

Teresa Kennedy | 25 comments Teresa Kennedy
New Interview up! Check it out!http://www.thebookcast.com/indie-auth...

Malla | 40 comments I write contemporary psychological women's mystery suspense thrillers. Bit of a mouthful, I know, but I think it about covers my genre. My focus is to write top notch women's thrillers that are not chick lit but rather chick chillers. My target market is 25 - 45 working women who like an intriguing read. 'Deep As Bone' classifies as a literary thriller because it is an entirely unique story, setting and group of characters. A non-formula literary thriller written in mainstream style for pace and action.

Deep As Bone by Malla Duncan

Jesse Darnay (JesseDarnay) | 1 comments Hello, fellow readers, writers--

My name is Jesse Darnay. My debut novel "The History of Now" is currently available on Amazon (Kindle version cheaper).

http://www.amazon.com/The-History-Now...

This is a psychological portrait of a young woman in contemporary Chicago struggling to come to terms with emotional trauma from the past in order to embrace a newly arrived romantic relationship.

It's a fun read, and will pull you in.

Enjoy!

Jesse S. Darnay
jesse.jessedarnay@gmail.com

message 143: by Martin (last edited Oct 12, 2012 05:28AM) (new)

Martin Hopkins (MartinHopkins) | 18 comments Cracks in the Pavement by Martin  Hopkins

Cracks in the Pavement

'A sexually graphic and darkly funny Dickensian look at the depths and heights of modern society. Jekyll & Hyde for the 21st Century. Watch out! The psychopathic Professor is coming...' 5 stars, K3Books.

'I couldn't put the book down! The writing was compelling and the hero's perspectives were so intriguing. I did not expect such tumultuous turns in the story...there was enough mystery and action to satisfy any reader. I enjoyed this unique book immensely and look forward to all future projects by Mr Hopkins' - 5 stars, The Reading Cafe.

http://thereadingcafe.com/cracks-in-t...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/B006P...

Stephen Robinson | 3 comments My new novel, "Mahogany Slade," is now available on Amazon as a paperback and Kindle download. Set in Athens, Georgia in the early 1990s, it depicts the search for love and identity as only college students experience it.

Mahogany Slade by Stephen  Robinson

Beverly Akerman (Beverly_Akerman) | 13 comments Thanks so much to all those who helped award winner ‘The Meaning of Children’ reach #12 for Kindle FREE Literary Fiction during my current Amazon giveaway (which is on till Oct. 15th)!
Just found out my book also won (or co-won, to be exact) the 2012 J.I. Segal Award for English Fiction and Poetry Award on a Jewish Theme! Still time to grab a copy :) http://amzn.to/KznFvA (UK: http://amzn.to/GTwKPL ) Book trailer: http://bit.ly/TkmZiD

Martin Hopkins (MartinHopkins) | 18 comments Old Man in Window by Martin  Hopkins

Old Man in Window

This is a story about growing up and growing old... The two main characters are a young boy, beginning his life, and an old man reaching the end of his. The old man watches the boy grow and the young boy sees him age. It is a story about friendship, that spans 15 years, that started with a smile and a wave.

"An enchanting tale, mysterious, empathetic, about growing up and growing old. Martin Hopkins' writing is both tight and lyrical. I loved it. The author's presence is felt as a wise head on young shoulders" - 5 stars, Howard Ellison, narrator.

'An absolutely beautiful story. It captures the spirit of serendipity and kinship, an excellent read!' 5 stars, Ether Books

http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R2AX8U...

message 147: by Sean (new)

Sean Mackaay | 1 comments Bombs, anarchy, and purple prose! It's Endless Cycle...

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Endless-Cycle-e...

Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12...

If anyone is interested in a copy to review, send me a message on Goodreads with your email address and what format works best for you and I will send over a copy.

Cheers

Randy Attwood (randyatwood) | 93 comments I thought readers here would be interested in my letterpress Kickstarter project. Those who love handmade books will be especially keen. I'm an author in Kansas City and have teamed up with Nick Naughton, a local printmaker and artist who teaches at the Kansas City Art Institute and we have a kickstarter project to turn one of my literary novellas, The Saltness of Time, into a printed book using his letterpress. If successful, we will also use Engel Bindery, local business since 1885.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/6...

Pale Fire Press (palefirepress) | 12 comments Ireland's most controversial author reviews the new literary stunner, Hotel Noir, in today's New York Journal of Books:

http://www.nyjournalofbooks.com/revie...

Enjoy, Judith

Chris Hill | 3 comments Hi everybody
My new book Song of the Sea God is literary fiction and is just out. You can take a look inside see if it's for you on Amazon here.
http://tinyurl.com/9yhq7dc
And, for American readers, it's on Barnes and Noble here
http://tinyurl.com/cfrozfu
thanks!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Trees in Winter (other topics)
In His Love (other topics)
Eden Fell (other topics)
The Book (other topics)
Megan's Way (other topics)
More...