What's The Name of That Book??? discussion

POSSIBLY SOLVED > story bout whales

Comments (showing 1-7)    post a comment »
dateUp arrow    newest »

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (LisaE65) | 1 comments I think I found the book you are looking for. I also read this book years ago and have been looking for it. I found it on Amazon.com. "Sounding" by Hank Searls. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASI... I read the first few pages and I think this is the one I have been looking for...I hope it is the one you have been looking for as well!

message 6: by Cobalt_Cin (new)

Cobalt_Cin | 8 comments I had an idea about this too - where its the right or wrong book, if you like stories told from the animal's perspective I remember another good one.

Was about Humpback Whales. I remember in primary school we had a book read to us by our teacher about a family of humpback whales, told from the perspective of a baby whale (think the baby was female but not entirely sure on that one).

Basically it was about growing up in the pod with her mother. I belive at one point the baby got caught in a human fishing net and seperated from her/his pod. I believe humans saved the day, by using knives to cut her free. But the entire story was told from the whale's point of view, I can't remember the title at the moment, but I will look for it

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 1386 comments Okay, Thanks, Bandwa. if you figure out it's the book for sure, please let us know. Then, I can shelve it on our group bookshelves. Thanks.

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 1386 comments Bandwa, Should this be moved to SOLVED (or POSSIBLY SOLVED) and shelved, or do you want to come back when you've confirmed it's the book? Thanks.

MB (What she read) | 133 comments Here's a link I found while googling. Has 10 book recommendations for books regarding whales. Take a look and see if any of them look like what you remember. http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2008/...

These 2 seem closest to what you've described:

#5 on list is The Year of the Whale

#6 on list is Sperm Whales: Social Evolution in the Ocean

message 2: by Emilyn (new)

Emilyn (emilynlinden) | 1 comments Sperm whale eat squid and are very deep divers. Females and young also apparently live in family pods.

message 1: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 143 comments Peter Benchley sometimes includes animal point of view in his books about big scary things in the water ... you're not thinking of Beast, are you?

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Beast (other topics)
Sperm Whales: Social Evolution in the Ocean (other topics)
The Year of the Whale (other topics)