Children's Books discussion

The Picture-Book Club > November 2010: Outer Space Books (Master List and General Discussion)

Comments (showing 1-42 of 42) (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (last edited Oct 12, 2010 09:05AM) (new)

Kathryn | 3122 comments Mod
The theme for November is Outer Space. As always, we will select five books plus one alternate book. Now's your chance to VOTE for the books you'd like to read with the group next month.

As you make your selections, please keep in mind that the focus for November will be NON-FICTION books. Based on votes, I will choose three non-fiction and two fiction (or all non-fiction if everyone votes that way) and one longer title for older students.

Also, please keep in mind that, for purposes of this club, "picture books" means appropriate for ages 4-8, approximately 32-pages with lots of illustrations. Given the non-fiction focus of the theme, we may have some picture books for slightly older children (age 10 or so).

I know there has been interest in doing a longer "picture book" selection for older students since in the non-fiction realm a lot of books fall between those appropriate for the wee ones and the upper-level books for middle grade and above. We will select ONE of these as an alternate (sixth) title for this month so please vote for only one longer picture book and five shorter ones.

Since we have so many different types of books this month (fiction, non-fiction, long picture books, even some poetry) I'm not making a comprehensive list but rather asking that you read over the posts below to see all the titles nominated and the comments made by those nominating so you will have a better understanding of each title. I know this is more cumbersome but I also hope it helps you make an informed vote.

Thanks and happy voting! :-)
Voting will close October 20th.

message 3: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

--by the way, this article just popped up on Yahoo! today and I thought it was rather good timing for those of us interested in space. It talks about a "new planet": http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100929/a...

message 4: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Abigail wrote: "How exciting! My first recommendation would be Brian Floca's Moonshot: The Flight of Apollo 11, which, in addition to being informative, is gorgeous!"

Oh, I love that one! :-) Great choice.

message 5: by Crystal (last edited Sep 30, 2010 10:34PM) (new)

Crystal Marcos (CrystalMarcos) | 475 comments I am putting my vote in for one fiction book, since we are concentrating on non-fiction. I love the cover. I will be back with my non-fiction choices.

Moonhorse by Mary Pope Osborne
Moonhorse

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 970 comments I second Moonshot: The Flight of Apollo 11; it was great. I'll try to think of some more books this weekend. I've got a few on the tip of my brain.

There's also always The Magic School Bus: Lost in the Solar System.

message 8: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Thanks for the nominations!

message 9: by Kirei (last edited Oct 05, 2010 01:02PM) (new)

Kirei | 346 comments "Regards to the Man in the Moon" by Ezra Jack Keats. This is fiction.

message 10: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (last edited Oct 05, 2010 01:17PM) (new)

Here's a great list of space titles! I'm not suggesting that every one of these titles become an official nomination as it's a long list and some of the books are beyond the scope of our picture book club, or don't seem readily available, but I thought it would make a great resource. If you do see any books on here you'd really like to nominate, feel welcome!

http://www.madisonpubliclibrary.org/y...

Here are a few that looked good to me:

Commander Toad and the Big Black Hole--totally fiction but it's by Jane Yolen and I love the "Star Trek" spoof idea ;-)

Zoom! Zoom! Zoom! I'm Off To The Moon

message 11: by Wilhelmina (new)

Wilhelmina Jenkins | 231 comments There are several Lets-Read-It-And-Find-Out books, including The Moon Seems to Change, What the Moon is Like, and The Sky Is Full of Stars. Kathryn mentioned If You Decide To Go To The Moon by Faith McNulty. I haven't read it, but it sounds great and it was illustrated by the wonderful Steven Kellogg.

message 12: by Crystal (last edited Oct 05, 2010 06:43PM) (new)

Crystal Marcos (CrystalMarcos) | 475 comments Thanks for the list Kathryn! Wilhelmina and Kathryn, thanks for mentioning a Steven Kellogg illustrated book I was not aware of. Hope that gets picked as one of the reads. :) I get so excited when I find a book illustrated by him. It is sort of a book treasure hunt I have played for years when visiting used
bookstores, etc. Sure, I could look them up all online, but it would take away the fun. It stems from childhood memories reading some of his books to my brothers and sisters.

message 13: by Kirei (last edited Oct 06, 2010 02:29AM) (new)

Kirei | 346 comments The "Moon Over Star" looks really good. I was considering buying it, but ran out of book-buying money! I think there would be a lot to discuss about that book--because I think the theme (SPOILER) is how can we justify spending so much on space when some people don't have enough food? (I think.)

message 14: by Kirei (new)

Kirei | 346 comments I haven't read this, but I want to: "Is a Blue Whale the Biggest Thing There Is?" by Robert E. Wells. I think it is kind of spacey.

message 15: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Oooh, more great nominations! Thank you :-) And, I, too, am a Steven Kellogg fan!

message 16: by Dorothea (last edited Oct 06, 2010 09:16AM) (new)

Dorothea | 7 comments I've enjoyed Reaching for the Moon very much. Buzz Aldrin writes his life's story at a children's level (age 6-9). I find it very inspiring. Actually, I should get it out to read again but I tend to keep my copies out of reach of my children because we got them signed by Buzz Aldrin!

message 17: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (last edited Oct 06, 2010 09:29AM) (new)

Dorothea wrote: "I've enjoyed Reaching for the Moon very much. Buzz Aldrin writes his life's story at a children's level (age 6-9). I find it very inspiring. Actually, I should get it out to read but I tend to keep my copies out of reach of my children because we got them signed by Buzz Aldrin!"

That's SO exciting, Dorothea! And I'm glad it's a good book--I hoped it would be. Sometimes celebrities aren't the best authors, but sometimes they are wonderful with words. I think it's great when they can tell their own story in a captivating way.

message 18: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Chandra wrote: "A fun poetry collection:
Comets, Stars, the Moon, and Mars: Space Poems and Paintings."

Oooh, poetry! Yay. I really want to include more poetry picture books in the group reads. I looked up your review (and Lisa's!) and promptly put this on reserve at the library. Actually, so many of these nominations look so good--I'm going to have to read them even if they don't win for our group reads :-)

message 19: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 970 comments Thanks, Chandra. I'd forgotten about Comets, Stars, the Moon, and Mars: Space Poems and Paintings. It's a good one!

message 20: by Bernadette (new)

Bernadette (bernadettesimpson) | 45 comments I always love Seymour Simon's nonfiction because of the amazing images. He has several older titles about space, planets, etc., but his book Our Solar System was revised and republished in 2007. This book would be for older readers - ages 9+.

message 21: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 970 comments Well, a lot of picture books are now written for older children. Rather than the ages 3-6 or 4-8, there are many books I'd recommend for 7-10 or 8-12 or 9-13.

Lots of great suggestions here! I'm looking forward to voting and reading and discussing.

message 22: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (last edited Oct 07, 2010 10:36AM) (new)

Bernadette wrote: "I always love Seymour Simon's nonfiction because of the amazing images. He has several older titles about space, planets, etc., but his book Our Solar System was revised and republished in 2007. This book would be for older readers - ages 9+. ."

Thanks for clarifying the age group on this, Bernadette! It looks like a great option for our alternative title :-)

message 23: by Wilhelmina (new)

Wilhelmina Jenkins | 231 comments Bernadette wrote: "I always love Seymour Simon's nonfiction because of the amazing images."

I agree - just spectacular!

message 24: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (last edited Oct 12, 2010 09:04AM) (new)

Thanks to all who offered up nominations. Looks like we have an exceptional list of books from which to choose! Please VOTE by posting your nominations in the comments. Remember the focus this month is on NON-FICTION titles--for details, see my opening post above.

message 25: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (last edited Oct 12, 2010 09:04AM) (new)

message 27: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

--Just a little insert here, you can see some cool constellations very well this week if you're in the Northern Hemisphere:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/2010101...

message 30: by Gaynor (new)

Gaynor (Seasian) | 50 comments I know it's too late to add another title, because it's actually voting time, not nominating, but a book worth mentioning for those who may want to read on this topic outside of the discussion is Starry Messenger: Galileo Galilei by Peter Sis. It is for older readers and has very attractive illustrations. Although he writes challenging books, I always try to have something by Peter Sis in my picture book collection. I usually catalog this title as biography of an astronomer.

message 31: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Thanks, Gaynor! Always great to add to our Master List.

message 33: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Thanks for all the votes so far! As a reminder, today is the last day to cast yours if you haven't done so already.

message 34: by Gundula (new)

Gundula | 2002 comments I decided not to vote for any specific picture books, because I don't know how much time I will have in November (and, I also have a huge load of currently-reading books I should really start tackling), but if I find any of the chosen picture books at the local library and have time to read them, I will try to join in.

message 35: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 191 comments Looks like everyone above me picked out all the good ones already :) I did some looking and the ones listed are at my library so I will go with what gets picked by the group and join in on the discussions.

message 36: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (last edited Oct 19, 2010 09:31AM) (new)

Gundula and Brenda--thanks so much for the comments! I appreciate the feedback from participants so I know that you're still involved (as much as time permits, of course!) and still interested in the group ;-> I want to make sure it stays strong and enjoyable for everyone!

message 37: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (last edited Oct 20, 2010 08:09AM) (new)

Our books have been chosen!!!

If You Decide To Go To The Moon (Booklist Editor's Choice. Books for Youth

Moonshot: The Flight of Apollo 11

The Planet Hunter: The Story Behind What Happened to Pluto

Comets, Stars, the Moon, and Mars: Space Poems and Paintings

We had a tie for the fiction title so I'm breaking the tie with The Moon Over Star because my library doesn't have "Moonhorse" and I want to be able to read as many as I can given that I'm moderator.

ALTERNATE TITLE (for older children)
Our Solar System

Thanks again to all for the nominations and votes. Looking forward to starting our discussion November 1st :-)

message 38: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Marcos (CrystalMarcos) | 475 comments I will go reserve now. Yeah!

message 39: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Recommended by Leslie in our discussion thread: Sheep Blast Off! which she and her son have read and enjoyed several times.

message 40: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

I loved Astronaut Handbook! Informative, lively and fun; highly recommended for any budding "star sailor" ;-)

message 41: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 1844 comments Mod
I just read One Giant Leap and I loved how it had enough detail and clarity that I actually learned stuff. Depending on how much of a fan of the topic a child is, it might be accessible to children as young as 4. Gorgeous pictures.

message 42: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Cheryl in CC NV wrote: "I just read One Giant Leap and I loved how it had enough detail and clarity that I actually learned stuff. Depending on how much of a fan of the topic a child is, it might be accessible to childre..."

Thanks for posting!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

What's Out There?: A Book about Space (other topics)
One Giant Leap (other topics)
The Moon Over Star (other topics)
There's No Place Like Space: All About Our Solar System (other topics)
Team Moon: How 400,000 People Landed Apollo 11 on the Moon (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Steven Kellogg (other topics)
Faith McNulty (other topics)
Seymour Simon (other topics)