Bookmarks Subscribers discussion

Group Book Discussion > (Oct - Nov 2010) The Cookbook Collector

Comments (showing 1-4 of 4) (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments The Cookbook Collector by Allegra Goodman The Cookbook Collector by Allegra Goodman

Post your discussion here.

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments I read this back in August and neglected to write a review. I only rated this 3 stars.

I really wanted to like the book. The description and title caught my attention; however I never connected with the characters. I didn't like the sisters and found myself annoyed with them most of the time. In fact, there were not many characters I cared for. They all seemed a little too quirky for my tastes.

There were some promising aspects to the storyline, but I felt like Goodman was trying too hard and jumping from one thing to the next. There were some very unlikely scenarios, like the Jewish family that lent Jess money and the Jewish family looking at property next to Jess's father's home. ( I won't explain that further, because I don't want to spoil it for someone else.)

It was a real stretch of the imagination to think people talked and acted this way. I felt generous rating it 3 stars.

message 3: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1524 comments Lisa wrote: "I read this back in August and neglected to write a review. I only rated this 3 stars. I really wanted to like the book. The description and title caught my attention; however I never connected ..."

I haven't had time to get to this one, but maybe I should just let it slide in the TBR pile. Too many other books to read. ... I will be interested to see if others have the same opinion of the book.

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments I'm anxious to hear other opinions also. I hesitated posting this, because I didn't want to discourage others from reading it. There were some very good parts to the book, but it just didn't strike the right chord with me.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Cookbook Collector (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Allegra Goodman (other topics)