Romance, Historical or Otherwise discussion

Coffee Corner > Just a note

Comments (showing 21-70)    post a comment »

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Thank you so much! :)

Sumi (Scientia) | 28 comments Wendy F wrote: "Thank you so much for asking, Sumi. We really appreciate honesty and respect of the groups rules.
If there are no promotions and no book, and the topic is purely conversational and doesn't feel argumentative or promotional..."

Neither argumentative nor promotional are what I'm after--neither will tell me what members think and feel about my questions, which is what I really, really need to know. Thanks so much for answering this promptly, Wendy; I appreciate the guidance. I'll try to make sure nothing gets steered towards promotions; if it starts cropping up I'll post a gentle reminder.

And I saw on the intro thread that you recently had a birthday--happy belated :-) . I hope that your birthday was happy, and your coming year is too.

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Thank you so much for asking, Sumi. We really appreciate honesty and respect of the groups rules.

If there are no promotions and no book, and the topic is purely conversational and doesn't feel argumentative or promotional, a thread in the 'Coffee Corner' folder would probably be fine.

Just be aware that we would reserve the right to move the thread into the author/promotions folder if it feels like anyone is steering the coversation toward something more geared to a type of promotion.

Sumi (Scientia) | 28 comments Ummm...this is a question for the mods, or the highly active thread experts. I'm a writer (don't stop reading! please! not an author, a *writer*) who's just finished a manuscript. I'm not here to push a book, because I have no book--I'm in the process of editing for submission, which means a book is at least a year or more away.

What I do have is questions about other members' opinions on certain very atypical romance-novel components (like consistent martial-arts action that's integral to the plot; ditto elements of SF and fantasy), and I want to ask those questions in a way that's respectful of people's time and sensibilities (i.e., I don't want to spam up a thread where people have come to discuss something else). Could someone please point me to a place/places on the discussion forum here where people might be interested in discussing those issues?

Thanks in advance for your time, and help.

Leea That's funny!! Thanks for sharing.

Glam_Gramma | 2 comments http://www.flickr.com//photos/rtbookr...

Found this link and thought it was an interesting slide show on how a romantic book cover shoot goes. Hope the link works.

Denise Baer | 19 comments Thanks, Lea.

Leea Welcome Denise, glad you found us! We do have an introduction thread if you wanted to start there...

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/5...

Denise Baer | 19 comments I'm new to joining in on the groups, so I thought I'd pop in and say, "Hello."

I haven't been able to get into the 2011 challenges, but I'm hoping to get into it for 2012.

These groups and games are a lot of fun. I'm looking forward to meeting more and more wonderful people here.

Have a great day.

Denise Baer

message 61: by Shell, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Shell Schroth (MsShell) | 1520 comments Mod
Stacia "the" truck stop waitress wrote: "The Fever series does have a longer wait before any coupling happens. It takes several books to get to that point, but once it does happen, it's pretty explicit."

Yup!!! But OH SO WORTH THE WAIT.

message 60: by Courtney (last edited Jun 06, 2011 03:45PM) (new)

Courtney  | 336 comments Stacia, that seems to fit into my preferences though I don't like having to buy so many books xD. Do you have other recommendations?

Leea, it's totally fine! Keep bombarding me! I'm always looking for book recommendations and I find that reviews on Amazon or Barnes and Noble don't really help me. Some books that I bought based on reviews, such as Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake and Ice Blue, I found I didn't enjoy.

I'm glad someone agrees with me about the YA books. It's weird, but I don't like reading about characters that are younger than me and I'm sure when I'm older and still reading, I'll have to get over that. But for now, that's how I feel! I haven't read the Hunger Games yet, but I will since there's so much hype about it and it's going to be a movie. I definitely try getting it.

Leea Have you read the Hunger Games? I agree about YA, hate it when they are based in High School or so whiny... Just have this same conversation with my girlfriend :)

Not sure why I feel it's my responsibility to find you the right book... must be my type A personality. Sorry to bombard you with books. LOL!!

Stacia (out of inspiration) (Stacia_R) The Fever series does have a longer wait before any coupling happens. It takes several books to get to that point, but once it does happen, it's pretty explicit.

Courtney  | 336 comments Hmm, I've been mulling over whether to get that series. I see it all the time and I just might get it! And I do like YA books but I really do prefer adult books because I personally don't want to read from teen perspectives.

I do like the building up to romance and thanks for the recommendations! I'm still open to more, of course!

Leea I get what you mean, So Lisa Kleypas is has more "fluff" than most. Do you like Young Adult books? You like the build up to the romance? if so you should read the Fever Series by Karen Marie Moning Darkfever

message 55: by Courtney (last edited Jun 06, 2011 12:43AM) (new)

Courtney  | 336 comments Hey Leea! Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to look into Virgin River since I plan to be in that field soon (nursing)! And I'll also check out The Bronze Horseman. I did read a Lisa Kleypas book called It Happened One Autumn and it was ok. I didn't really get into it.

I guess I like books that are not exactly "fluffy" reads. I like books with romance instead of romance books, if you get what I mean. I prefer the novel to not center around the romance but instead be engaging.

Are there any other recommendations you guys can give me?

message 54: by Leea (last edited Jun 05, 2011 09:56AM) (new)

Leea Welcome Courtney! Here are some books i've enjoyed, sorry but some series are longer than 3 books...

Secrets of a Summer Night (Wallflowers, #1) by Lisa Kleypas Wallflowers is a great series to read, 5 books total and each book is about one of the girls finding a husband. I enjoyed them all! The Spin off series is The Hathaways.

Suddenly You by Lisa Kleypas Again The Magic (Wallflowers, #.5) by Lisa Kleypas These are stand alone books.

Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) by J.R. Ward The Black Dagger Brotherhood Series, It's got a lot of graphic sex so just keep that in mind. Ward is still writing books for this series.

Virgin River (Virgin River, #1) by Robyn Carr I just found this series and I love it!!

The Bronze Horseman (Tatiana and Alexander, #1) by Paullina Simons This is an epic love story that spans Tatiana and Alexanders life. It's gut retching and tore my heart out but it's my second favorite series. It's only 3 books :)

message 53: by Courtney (last edited Jun 04, 2011 11:53PM) (new)

Courtney  | 336 comments Well I'm not too picky about the genre. I love historical fiction, fantasy, science fiction, urban, and contemporary. I would prefer it not to be a long series (such as no more than 3 books unless you can recommend a really good one). It also has to be from a female POV for me, however I don't mind switching back and forth between the main characters. Another preference (but not a stickler on) is 3rd person POV.

Stacia (out of inspiration) (Stacia_R) Do you have a specific genre in mind, such as historical, contemporary, paranormal, etc?

I know that often a lot of Urban Fantasy series will feature a couple who fall in love over several books, and don't often get to the deed in the first or second (sometimes not even the third) book.

It might help to know what you're interested in checking out, so we don't give book recs for genres you're not interested in.

Courtney  | 336 comments Hey! I'm new here and so I guess I'll just ask for some recommendations for books since this seems to be the most open thread at the moment! I wanted recommendations on romance books that have really good character development before the main characters share the bed, if you get my drift. I find that it's not as enjoyable and you can't connect much with the character when you don't know them to begin with. So any suggestions? And thanks ahead of time!

Leea LMAO Wendy!! I have those moments to!!

message 49: by Wendy F (last edited Apr 13, 2011 11:01AM) (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Hahahaha!! Stacia! That's so funny. I love when I make sill little 'oops' moments like that.

I work for a shipping warehouse and once I saw this contraption out in our packing room. I asked a friend what it was and she told me it was a peanut dispenser... okay, can I just say that for like 5 minutes I was completely affronted that the warehouse got to eat peanuts while they were working... 5 whole minutes before I realized it was for PACKING peanuts!

Heather (Let's-Go-Pens-We're-Gonna-Take-This-One) Stacia *lollipopping like a mofo wrote: "My husband just got home early from work and tried to tell me he got laid off.

Luckily, I had just finished reading a topic about April Fool's Day pranks so I was prepared."

Our local radio station had a gal from the library on the live morning show. She was excitedly telling all the listeners that since Merritt's library is so progressive and ahead of the times regarding all things book related, they're now the first location to carry the "NEW AND GREATLY ANTICIPATED LEFT-HANDED NOVELS".

Embarrassingly, I have to admit that it took me a couple of minutes to realize this was an April Fools joke. I was stopped at the light pantomiming turning pages with my left hand versus my right... probably looking like a complete fool.

Excellent!

Stacia (out of inspiration) (Stacia_R) Wow, good luck. :)

Leea I'm so excited... I just signed up for my first Half Marathon in October, Nike Women's Marathon in SF - It's a lottery so I hope I get it. Yay!!!

message 45: by Ladyhawk (last edited Apr 05, 2011 04:31PM) (new)

Ladyhawk | 379 comments I need to buy some books

Ya that helps huh! Same here! I first downloaded all the free ones I was interested in. lol Like Bram Stokers Dracula, can't believe that was free. Been wanting to read that forever, and then a couple of Jane Eyre.

Have fun, ereaders are dangerous. I think they are like cell phones, you're always wanting the latest and greatest! eeek!

Leea Yes he is!! He was asking me why I was not reading off my Nook last night... Uh I need to buy some books...LOL!! Plus I have a ton of paper book to read.

Ladyhawk | 379 comments Wow Leea! Lucky lady. I think that husband of yours is a keeper!!

Leea Oh man... Husband just got home from work and said "why don't you just go up and get that eReader from Barnes & Noble you wanted." I don't think i've ever moved so fast...hehe!! off to get a Nook Color!! I'm so excited :)

message 40: by Wendy F (last edited Apr 03, 2011 08:06PM) (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) What book were you supposed to read?

Leea Oh Wendy, We had our book club meeting and I did not read the book this time, I always read the book but got wrapped up in LU. It was the worst one ever - no one wanted to discuss the book - uhh!! Next we are reading The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot

Leea Maybe that a better way of doing it. Heck, I don't know what i'm doing half the time. I might just remove the categories after i've read it. I find it helps me when shopping for books to have them in those categories. Thanks Wendy!

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Yeah, I think you need to actually remove them from those catagories. I do it the opposite way, haha. I keep everything in my TBR folder, after I read it I put it into my read folder, my year folder, and it's series folder if it has one. I also have a 'owned' folder so that I can scroll through my TBR folder and see what I've already purchased.

Leea I really need to weed some out :)

I have a question. I have my books in different categories, like Paranormal Romance, Series, Historical Fiction etc. But when I've read the book and then placed it into my 'Read' section the book still remains in the category I placed it in. Do I need to remove it from that 'category'?? Thanks! Ultimately I would like my 'read' books only in the 'read' section that way I can tell what's left to read. Hope this makes sense I feel like i'm going in circles. lol!

Stacia (out of inspiration) (Stacia_R) I started weeding some out last week and then promptly added more. It's like a hoarder doing spring cleaning and then going for a shopping spree.

Leea Ladies... My TBR list just hit 500 ~ Save me!!!

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I got it on my Kindle too, lol. I can't wait to read it!

Stacia (out of inspiration) (Stacia_R) I've actually been very good with sticking to what I have already and not making purchases anymore unless it's a new release I don't want to wait for.

Although, I did just buy an indie book that my friend published, but you gotta support your friends of course. :)

Leea You guys are cracking me up with this SVH books. I never read them growing up... Yeah, i'm sure your book supply is getting low ;)

message 30: by Stacia (out of inspiration) (last edited Apr 02, 2011 12:02AM) (new)

Stacia (out of inspiration) (Stacia_R) He's taking me to lunch tomorrow of his own suggestion. I may purchase an ebook or two this weekend though, just because!

Maybe...
Eternal Rider (Lords of Deliverance, #1) by Larissa Ione or Sweet Valley Confidential  Ten Years Later by Francine Pascal

Leea And a shopping trip or more ebooks :) That'll teach him LMAO!!

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 436 comments and a massage!

Leea Now that's just not funny at all... Tell him he's taking you out for a nice dinner and a bottle of wine for that :)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 436 comments That is scary he is very lucky you don't kill him for that

Stacia (out of inspiration) (Stacia_R) He spent a good portion of last year between jobs and we got close to losing our house, so the thought of him being unemployed again is not a good feeling. I'm just glad that I figured it out immediately.

Leea Not a good prank at all... That's happened to us a few times in the past... like when my oldest was just day's old - crazy!!

My husband posted on Facebook... "the Planks are moving again. Got a job in Canada - see ya!" Everyone was so upset and then they figured it was a joke. He's suck a dork!

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 436 comments thats not a good prank!

Stacia (out of inspiration) (Stacia_R) My husband just got home early from work and tried to tell me he got laid off.

Luckily, I had just finished reading a topic about April Fool's Day pranks so I was prepared.

Leea Yeah, It was a beautiful day for sure. Everything is in bloom here and it's killing me (allergies ha!). We go over 10 bridges and the boys were in heaven. Our house is right on the Delta so we know all about those party boats - they look like fun!

« previous 1
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

City of Ashes (other topics)
Eternal Rider (other topics)
Sweet Valley Confidential: Ten Years Later (other topics)
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks (other topics)
Blindness (other topics)
More...