The Magician King (The Magicians, #2) The Magician King discussion

Alice

Comments (showing 1-21 of 21) (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Troy (new)

Troy Santel Find a way to bring back Alice. She was the best part of The Magicians.

Jillian Who knows... a niffin is defined as not exactly dead, and the door is left wide open for another installment!

message 3: by Ryan (last edited Nov 06, 2012 05:27AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ryan Nixon I was pissed when they said Quentin couldn't

**Spoiler Alert**

Go through the door to the place beyond Fillory. How he said Alice might be waiting for him I got so excited then so depressed so fast when they held him back UGH!

Aaron Meda I agree that I kept waitting for Alice to come back.Was very disapointed when she did not.

Michael Whelchel My theory is that Alice is alive and well. When Quentin found the Questing Beast in The Magicians, it stated that it couldn't bring Penny back from the dead and it couldn't fix Alice's being a niffin. One possible explanation for those seemingly arbitrary restrictions is that Penny wasn't dead and Alice was no longer a niffin.

Ryan Nixon Thank you Michael for giving me some hope.

message 7: by Justplaneray (new)

Justplaneray One other possibility is that The Magicians simply wasn't that great a book, and that looking for more, e.g. a reason for Alice's fate, or Quentin's inability to find happiness is not within the author's ability (or will) to tie up. Alice is gone, moving on, no matter that it seems to be the single objection of every reader who posts about the book. For me - just not that good... won't be going on with the series.

Jaimie Teekell Michael wrote: "My theory is that Alice is alive and well. When Quentin found the Questing Beast in The Magicians, it stated that it couldn't bring Penny back from the dead and it couldn't fix Alice's being a niff..."

Love that theory!

Jaimie Teekell Justplaneray wrote: "One other possibility is that The Magicians simply wasn't that great a book, and that looking for more, e.g. a reason for Alice's fate, or Quentin's inability to find happiness is not within the au..."

I follow Lev Grossman's blog and Twitter very closely, and he really likes Alice. A lot. I bet she is coming back.

Richard Swenor I bet she's coming back, but I think she's still a Nuffin.

Like with your theory about her being Alive and Well. He has never really explained as to whether or not a Nuffin is alive or dead. I think it's something like with the Gods where she is a being of pure energy or something along those lines.

Lindsay We'll see more of Alice. However, I'm not sure it will be a happy reunion.

But I do think we'll get some sort of closure on the issue.

message 12: by Adam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Adam Alice is a likable character, so we will probably see more of her in some form in the next book. Whether or not it will be a happily ever after ending between her a Quentin is another thing. The last two books Quentin has screwed up badly primarily due to his crappy personality. He may reunite with Alice in the last book but I'm not sure it will be a happy ending.

message 13: by Roland (new)

Roland I really hope Alice does get back into the future narrative. I'll be forced to write my own fan fic if she doesn't. :(
And I'll prob screw it up...
You wouldn't want that!!!

message 14: by Bedita (new)

Bedita the same thing here is it only jews that can make magic?

message 15: by Bedita (new)

Bedita and not immigrants?

Chris Eh? There are magic schools in every continent! And Quentin isn't jewish?

Paultaylor Read lev Grossman's installment in Dangerous Women, it might change or support your theories about Alice.

Paultaylor Michael wrote: "My theory is that Alice is alive and well. When Quentin found the Questing Beast in The Magicians, it stated that it couldn't bring Penny back from the dead and it couldn't fix Alice's being a niff..."

Quinten actually asked the questing beast to restore penny's hands. the questing beast said that he could not because penny was either dead or in another world.

Kevin Paultaylor wrote: "Read lev Grossman's installment in Dangerous Women, it might change or support your theories about Alice."

OOHHH SNAAPP
I read it(along with all the rest... i only liked some of the stories, that book was a let down...got my Lev Grossman and Sanderson fix though) and I didn't even put those two things together.... but wasn't this b4 Quinten went there?.... Also the teacher that seals is he from the 2 previous books?

(view spoiler)

Paultaylor Kevin wrote: "Paultaylor wrote: "Read lev Grossman's installment in Dangerous Women, it might change or support your theories about Alice."

OOHHH SNAAPP
I read it(along with all the rest... i only liked some of..."

so crazy! you should re-read the short story for sure. there are some interesting developments in it.

Kevin Paultaylor wrote: "so crazy! you should re-read the short story for sure. there are some interesting developments in it. ..."

All i know is that A NEW MAGICIAN IS COMING OUT THIS YEAR IS YOUR BODY READY? MINE IS!!

New Lev Grossman, New Brent Weeks, New Brandon Sanderson, New Jim Butcher, New Anthony Ryan.... how ready is your body??

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Magician King (other topics)