Gothicked (Gothic Novel Lovers) discussion

Mary Stewart > Mary Stewart

Comments (showing 1-33 of 33) (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jaimey (new)

Jaimey (jaimeygrant) | 7 comments I've only read one Mary Stewart and it was one of her Merlin novels. I enjoyed it although it's been so long since I read it that I barely remember any details.

Today, while at my mom's, I grabbed three of her Mary Stewart novels, The Gabriel Hounds, The Stormy Petrel, and Wildfire at Midnight. Has anybody read any of these?

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Greer | 65 comments Mod
I just read 'Wildfire at Midnight.' I really enjoyed it! I know others have read all three and then some.

message 3: by Hannah (last edited Sep 23, 2010 05:37AM) (new)

Hannah (HannahR) | 134 comments Hi Jaimey,
I've read all three, and they are all good to varying degrees. Wildfire is my favorite of the three; there are some excellent gothic suspense elements throughout. Gabriel is also pretty good, but I got kinda hung up on the romantic relationship between the hero and heroine because they were cousins, so it's not in my faves. Stormy is, I believe, Stewart's last novel and is considered one of her "cottage" books (the other 2 being Thornyhold and Rose Cottage). There's not much romantic suspense, but it's a sweet book nonetheless.

Hope you enjoy!

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Hannah, that's interesting. I tried 'Thornyhold' once and didn't get into it. Maybe the "cottage" books aspect is why. It's in my pile to try again, though, so I plan to at some point-- after the more Gothic ones.

message 5: by Hannah (last edited Sep 23, 2010 05:50AM) (new)

Hannah (HannahR) | 134 comments I've gotta say that Thornyhold is one of my top 5 books of all time. This is my wish fulfillment book if ever there was one, but then I'm a sucker for old English houses, cottages, and bungalows (I blame Nancy Drew for the bungalow obssession).

If a book has an English cottage as a primary element in the story (double brownie points if it's haunted), you can bet that I'll have it in my TBR pile :)

message 6: by Lisa (new)

You know, I read the best English cottage supernatural cozy some years back before Goodreads, and I still kick myself because I didn't write down its title. To this day, I still have no idea what the name of that book was! Sigh...

message 7: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (HannahR) | 134 comments Lisa wrote: "You know, I read the best English cottage supernatural cozy some years back before Goodreads, and I still kick myself because I didn't write down its title. To this day, I still have no idea what t..."

If you ever think of it, please let me know what it is, ok? lol!

message 8: by Jaimey (new)

Jaimey (jaimeygrant) | 7 comments Wildfire is the one that sounds most interesting to me, of the three I grabbed. I'll probably start with that...once I get some of the other books on my currently-reading shelf out of the way...

message 9: by Susan (last edited Nov 01, 2010 12:13PM) (new)

Susan | 21 comments I've got 7 Mary Stewart books: Thornyhold, Airs Above the Ground, The Gabriel Hounds, The Moonspinners, My Brother Michael, This Rough Magic and Touch Not the Cat. I read My Brother Michael years ago and The Moonspinners fairely recent. Which book should I pick up next? I'm leaning toward Thornyhold...

message 10: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (HannahR) | 134 comments Thornyhold is my vote (it would be)
:D

message 11: by Carol (new)

Carol Kerry-green | 6 comments And then when you've finished that I'd recommend Airs Above the Ground :-)

message 12: by Jill (new)

Jill shure | 16 comments I'm currently reading a mystery set in Victorian London called, Devoured. It's very good. But I just ordered the following books. If you have opinions, I'd love to hear them.

The Ivy Tree by Mary Stewart
Madam, Will you talk? by Mary Stewart

message 13: by Hannah (last edited Feb 12, 2011 11:49AM) (new)

Hannah (HannahR) | 134 comments Jill wrote: "But I just ordered the following books. If you have opinions, I'd love to hear them.

The Ivy Tree by Mary ..."

Hi Jill,
both of these are considered some of Stewart's best. I especially like Madam, Will You Talk for its locale, swoonlike hero and action. The Ivy Tree has more mystery and you need to read very carefully between the lines to figure out what's going on. Very good stuff.

If you get on a Stewart kick, This Rough Magic and Wildfire at Midnight are my favorite Stewart romantic suspense books. And of course let me plug, (once again), my favorite of her "cottage" books (and one of my favorite books of all time): Thornyhold

Hope you enjoy. Look forward to hearing what you think.

message 14: by ToniS (new)

ToniS | 5 comments Jill,

I just finished Madam, Will You Talk?. It's Mary Stewart's first book, but I think it's the 5th that I've read. Her descriptions of the settings are very good, and you can really see the genesis of her style in it. But I have to say the plot was really, really far-fetched. I don't think she'd worked out the nuances of suspense and plot yet. I had to REALLY suspend my disbelief to make it through.

My fave so far has been Nine Coaches Waiting. I haven't read The Ivy Tree yet.

I did like Thornyhold, too, but it's a little different.

message 15: by Jill (new)

Jill shure | 16 comments Thanks for the comments and suggestions. If I like her, I will definitely order some of the other books mentioned here.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

The Ivy Tree

The Ivy Tree is my favorite after her Merlin series which I thought were the best.

message 17: by Jill (new)

Jill shure | 16 comments I am behind in my gothics. At present, I'm reading an old Louis L'Amour, a western. Although he's not a cowboy in JUBAL SACKET. He's more of an Indian fighter and explorer. It's quite good.

I will go back to Victoria Holt for my next read. Or even a mystery. I jump around a lot.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Jill wrote: "I am behind in my gothics. At present, I'm reading an old Louis L'Amour, a western. Although he's not a cowboy in JUBAL SACKET. He's more of an Indian fighter and explorer. It's quite good.

I bought my husband a collection of Louis L'Amour short stories for his birthday and he has sure enjoyed it. I read the first one too.

message 19: by ToniS (new)

ToniS | 5 comments I just finished The Stormy Petrel. It's a very short, quick read. Nicely written, very mild suspense. It would be a really good summer vacation book.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Jaimey wrote: "I've only read one Mary Stewart and it was one of her Merlin novels. I enjoyed it although it's been so long since I read it that I barely remember any details.

I have read them all and still own a few of them.

Mary Stewart

message 21: by Jemidar (new)

Jemidar ToniS wrote: "I just finished The Stormy Petrel. It's a very short, quick read. Nicely written, very mild suspense. It would be a really good summer vacation book."

I read The Stormy Petrel recently and loved it. The descriptions of the landscape were wonderful. Would love to visit that part of Scotland.

message 22: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (HannahR) | 134 comments Jemidar wrote: "Would love to visit that part of Scotland..."

Apart from the midges. Didn't she mention midges in this one, or am I thinking of another book?

message 23: by Jemidar (new)

Jemidar Yep, it's the one with the midges. Will definitely be taking tropical strength bug spray with me :-).

message 24: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (HannahR) | 134 comments Jemidar wrote: "Yep, it's the one with the midges. Will definitely be taking tropical strength bug spray with me :-)."

Extra strength.

message 25: by Jemidar (new)

Jemidar I did like that they left the property developer on the island with the midges!

message 26: by Hannah (last edited Jan 04, 2012 11:51AM) (new)

Hannah (HannahR) | 134 comments Jemidar wrote: "I did like that they left the property developer on the island with the midges!"

LOL! Sock it to "The Man".

message 27: by Annie (new)

Annie | 45 comments Jaimey wrote: "I've only read one Mary Stewart and it was one of her Merlin novels. I enjoyed it although it's been so long since I read it that I barely remember any details.

Today, while at my..."

Yes, they are all very good, although that can be said about all of her books! My favorite is still her first one: Madam will you Talk? My other favorite is the Ivy Tree.

message 28: by Annie (new)

Annie | 45 comments Hannah wrote: "I've gotta say that Thornyhold is one of my top 5 books of all time. This is my wish fulfillment book if ever there was one, but then I'm a sucker for old English houses, cottages, and bungalows (..."

You would like Norah Lofts books then! She did several where the house is the real main character.

message 29: by Annie (new)

Annie | 45 comments Jill wrote: "I'm currently reading a mystery set in Victorian London called, Devoured. It's very good. But I just ordered the following books. If you have opinions, I'd love to hear them.

The Ivy Tree by Mary ..."

Both of these are excellent. My two favorites, in fact. Its been a while since you posted this; did you like them?

message 30: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (HannahR) | 134 comments Annie wrote: "You would like Norah Lofts books then! She did several where the house is the real main character."

I may have to re-try Lofts. I didn't have luck with Gad's Hall - it was a DNF for me.

Do you have any suggestions?

message 31: by Annie (new)

Annie | 45 comments Yes, she is all over the place, really. I like some of her books a lot, and some seemed just weird to me. My favorite of hers is How Far to Bethlehem? If you like historical novels, she did one about King Richard the Lionheart and his intended bride Berengaria. I believe that one was called the Lute Player. But she did several that were about the houses, some haunted some not. I think she's the one that did a novel tracing the history of a Roman "pub" for lack of a better word and traced it all through the history of England and how it changed and grew and of course the people that lived there. It was a very good book. Haven't read it since high school, might have to give it another whirl. I think it was called the Wayside Tavern, but I'll have to double-check.

I just looked it up; it is called A Wayside Tavern. It was very good.

message 32: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (HannahR) | 134 comments Thanks for the recs. I'll look these up and see if any trip my trigger :)

message 33: by Julie (new)

Julie (gpangel) | 16 comments I just finished Nine Coaches Waiting by Mary Stewart
1958 copyright. I think I would put his one in romantic suspense. Pretty good once it got rolling.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Stormy Petrel (other topics)
The Gabriel Hounds (other topics)
Wildfire at Midnight (other topics)
This Rough Magic (other topics)
Thornyhold (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Mary Stewart (other topics)