Urban Fantasy discussion

BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS > Looking for Recommendations: Urban Fantasy with Male Protagonists

Comments (showing 51-100 of 196) (196 new)    post a comment »

message 51: by [deleted user] (last edited May 19, 2009 06:28AM) (new)

Just chiming in to praise the excellence of Charlie Huston. Jim Butcher reads kind of like a Raymond Chandler novel but Charlie Huston is the real deal. 'Already Dead' is a hard-boiled detective novel about vampires in New York and everything about the setting and characters is meticulously well-drawn. Someone drew a comparison with Tarantino. There's common ground between Tarantino and Huston since they're both influenced by hard-boiled tradition but I don't think the comparison does Huston justice. Whereas Tarantino's movies are built on hommage and pastiche, 'Already Dead' is a complete reimagining of the detective novel. It's climax is brutal, ugly and entirely fitting for a noir story.

Read it, read it, read it, read it.

message 52: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) Piotr wrote: "Just chiming in to praise the excellence of Charlie Huston. Jim Butcher reads kind of like a Raymond Chandler novel but Charlie Huston is the real deal. 'Already Dead' is a hard-boiled detective no..."

I love Huston's Joe Pitt books. However, the most recent one, EVERY LAST DROP, seriously grossed me out in places. Don't know why as the others didn't and there is some seriously gross stuff in all of them!

message 53: by [deleted user] (new)

Rob Thurman is a woman?

You're right. There aren't that many men writing in this genre.

message 54: by Anton (new)

Anton | 21 comments Piotr wrote: "Rob Thurman is a woman?

You're right. There aren't that many men writing in this genre."

It's not like Ace/Roc go out of their way to make it clear. No author photos on the jacket and the androgyny of the name Rob. Which seems not all that androgynous on second thought...

Rest assured, dear readers, than Anton Strout is a male name and my urban fantasy series runs with
a male protagonist. If I start another female driven series, I wonder if they'll have to be from Antonia Strout.

message 55: by Kati (new)

Kati (katikatnik) | 35 comments Bone Song by John Meaney also has a male protagonist. It's an UF set in a world where everything runs on the power of bones. Creepy, but also real good!

message 56: by Bill (new)

Bill (reedye) | 46 comments I've yet to read it KatiKat, it's patiently waiting for me but it's not UF.

message 57: by Kati (new)

Kati (katikatnik) | 35 comments Bill wrote: "I've yet to read it KatiKat, it's patiently waiting for me but it's not UF.
"

Then what is it? It's a world of zombies and ghosts and berserks that's running on necroflux, the substance of bones. It's basically Green's Nightside, an alternate world, just without the tongue-in-the-cheek humor and London outside.

message 58: by Kati (new)

Kati (katikatnik) | 35 comments Another book: Master of None by Sonya Bateman. Gavyn is a thief. This book's coming out on March 30th 2010.

message 59: by Bill (new)

Bill (reedye) | 46 comments It would need London outside to make it UF not an alternate world.

message 60: by Bill (new)

Bill (reedye) | 46 comments Whoops, that went too early.
It's an odd mix of SF/dark fantasy/gothic/crime/thriller so I'm not sure what you'd call it, which is a good thing. I'm sure someone will coin another sub genre for it.
Have you read the sequel Dark Blood?

message 61: by [deleted user] (new)

I haven't read it, but I heard Mario Acevedo's Felix Gomez series is really good.The Nymphos of Rocky Flats First book. Also, I've heard good things about Charlie Huston Already Dead

I'm going to be trying these out soon, they are in my TBR pile. Or since it's on Kindle, would that be TBR file?

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (DarkHeart) | 113 comments I received a free copy of the audiobook for Sandman Slim: A Novel by Richard Kadrey last year, and quite enjoyed it.

I've read the first of Mario Acevedo's Felix Gomez novels, but it wasn't to my taste.

I quite enjoyed J.F. Lewis' Staked and plan to read the follow-up ReVamped.

I own the Felix Castor series by Mike Carey, and while I haven't gotten around to reading them yet, my husband quite enjoyed them.

And I agree about the brilliance of Jim Butcher's Dresden Files.

message 63: by Julia (new)

Julia | 610 comments Besides Jim Butcher's Dresden Files, there are also his wonderful Codex Alera series. It's fantasy, not urban fantasy, but well deserving of praise and mention.

Thomas Sniegoski's A Kiss Before the Apocalypse and Dancing on the Head of a Pin are about Boston PI Remy Chandler, who used to be the angel Remiel and they're wonderful. All dark and noir just like Raymond Chandler. (His dog's name is Marlowe.)

John Levitt's written three about Mason, a San Francisco session jazz guitarist and magic wielder and his magical... well, calling him a dog is just easier. Begins with Dog Days.

message 64: by Mick (last edited Mar 15, 2012 05:16PM) (new)

Mick (mickanick) | 13 comments Snake Agent, by Liz Williams, is pretty interesting and different.

The protagonist is Detective Inspector Chin, who is forced to accept a demon partner from Hell in order to solve a crime which crosses the jurisdictional lines of Heaven and Hell. He's the sole "supernatural" investigator for his department and is regarded with fear and suspicion because of his ability to interact with ghost, demons and divine beings.

DIC Chin is the stoic type, while his demon partner, surprisingly, brings the comic relief. The book starts out a bit slow and steady (like Chin) and picks up the pace as it goes along. By the end, I was totally enchanted with Chin and the demon, Scheschal Zhu Irzh, who argue, fight, and take down the bad guys like the best cop partners should.

I highly recommend this if you're looking for something different than the standard fur and fangs fare.

message 65: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) Diremommy wrote: "I haven't read it, but I heard Mario Acevedo's Felix Gomez series is really good.The Nymphos of Rocky Flats First book. Also, I've heard good things about Charlie Huston Already..."</i>

Mario Acevedo's books are pretty good.
[bookcover:The Nymphos of Rocky Flats
is the weakest of them, which is so often true with first books. The Charlie Huston books are quite good, but also pretty gross.

message 66: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) Julia wrote: "Besides Jim Butcher's Dresden Files, there are also his wonderful Codex Alera series. It's fantasy, not urban fantasy, but well deserving of praise and mention.

Thomas Sniegoski's A Kiss Before ..."

Sniegoski's Remy Chandler books are GREAT!! The next one, Where Angels Fear to Tread (Remy Chandler, #3) by Thomas E. Sniegoski, comes out on Tuesday.

I've only read the first of John Levitt's books, but liked it.

message 67: by Emmett (new)

Emmett Spain | 33 comments Hope it's not too presumptuous to add my own book into the mix? It's an urban fantasy set in an alternate London, that takes place over the course of 24 hours, and has a male protaganist.

The "Look Inside" feature has just been uploaded onto amazon if you'd like to read some free sample pages!

http://www.amazon.com/Old-Haunts-Lond...

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 238 comments Emmett, I am excited to read your book. I hope it goes to Kindle soon.

message 69: by Emmett (new)

Emmett Spain | 33 comments Thanks! I am actually investigating the cost and time of getting it converted to a kindle file and put up on amazon... should know in the next few weeks (fingers crossed!)

message 71: by Michael (new)

Michael (Keisu) More recommendations, anyone?

read or tried most already mentioned

message 72: by Julia (new)

Julia | 610 comments Maybe Michael,

This isn't urban fantasy, but alternative history/ detective novel. The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon. Here's the description:

For sixty years, Jewish refugees and their descendants have prospered in the Federal District of Sitka, a "temporary" safe haven created in the wake of the Holocaust and the shocking 1948 collapse of the fledgling state of Israel. The Jews of the Sitka District have created their own little world in the Alaskan panhandle, a vibrant and complex frontier city that moves to the music of Yiddish. But now the District is set to revert to Alaskan control, and their dream is coming to an end.

Homicide detective Meyer Landsman of the District Police has enough problems without worrying about the upcoming Reversion. His life is a shambles, his marriage a wreck, his career a disaster. And in the cheap hotel where Landsman has washed up, someone has just committed a murder—right under his nose. When he begins to investigate the killing of his neighbor, a former chess prodigy, word comes down from on high that the case is to be dropped immediately, and Landsman finds himself contending with all the powerful forces of faith, obsession, evil, and salvation that are his heritage.

At once a gripping whodunit, a love story, and an exploration of the mysteries of exile and redemption, The Yiddish Policemen's Union is a novel only Michael Chabon could have written.

It won a Nebula or Hugo the year it came out, possibly both...

message 73: by Mike (new)

Mike Shevdon (shevdon) | 28 comments At the risk of getting slapped for self-promotion, have you tried my first novel Sixty-One Nails? It is urban fantasy, set mostly in London, and has a male protagonist.

"When Niall Petersen has a heart attack on the London Underground, his dying thoughts are for his fellow commuters - Ba@4^%ds.

He is revived by an old lady calling herself Blackbird who tells him the reason she has pulled him back to life is because a creature from a world close-by was trying to possess his newly dead corpse. By bringing him back she has prevented it, but now the creature knows him, and it will find both him and his teenage daughter and kill them both.

So begins Niall's journey into a secret London in search of an eight hundred year-old ritual and a way to save both his daughter and himself."

For US Kindle readers, my publisher is offering the book free as part of an Amazon promotion for a limited time (until the end of this week, I think). It's currently ranking #1 in Kindle Books > Fantasy, and #3 in Kindle Books > Fiction > Genre Fiction.

The book is part of a series and the sequel has just been released in the UK and will be released in the US in October.

Hope that's okay.

message 74: by Bill (last edited Sep 28, 2010 06:12AM) (new)

Bill (reedye) | 46 comments Mike, Is there an extract available anywhere?

(edited to add) Found one!
http://angryrobotbooks.com/our-author...

message 75: by Michael (new)

Michael (Keisu) thanks for the recommendations :)

message 76: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (TSorrels) Mike wrote: "At the risk of getting slapped for self-promotion, have you tried my first novel Sixty-One Nails? It is urban fantasy, set mostly in London, and has a male protagonist...."

No slaps for you, Mike! :) Since you've posted non-promotional stuff before, you are good to go. :)

message 77: by Mike (new)

Mike Shevdon (shevdon) | 28 comments Thanks, Theresa, I will endeavour not to abuse the privilege.

message 78: by sam (new)

sam (Dudewhatever123) | 9 comments Michlon wrote: "Anyone else interested in seeing what Kelly Armstrong does with her 'Men of Otherworld' collection coming out later this year?"

absolutely yes i love Kelly Armstrong

message 79: by JK (new)

JK (eimajtl) That sounds really interesting Mike.... I'll have to download that book.

message 80: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 9 comments I found a listopia for this one too:
Urban Fantasy With Male Lead Characters

message 81: by JK (new)

JK (eimajtl) Nice list!

Shera (Book Whispers) (SheraBookWhispers) | 187 comments Monica wrote: "Idk if this is quite an urban fantasy, but it is YA fantasy. White Cat (#1 in the Curse-Worker series) features a male protagonist who is really interesting.White Cat (Curse Workers, #1) by Holly Black"

Yeah that counts. I think they call UF YA paranormal ya still.

message 83: by Miranda (new)

Miranda (Miranda_Phaal) I absolutely love the Felix Castor series - Mike Carey
and
the Matthew Swift series - Kate Griffin

message 84: by Akaria (new)

Akaria Gale | 21 comments Has anyone suggested Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman? This was my intro to UF and I still love the story.

message 85: by Kati (new)

Kati (katikatnik) | 35 comments Another series is "A Devil in the Details" (Jesse James Dawson) by K. A. Stewart: A Devil in the Details (Jesse James Dawson, #1) by K.A. Stewart

message 86: by Julia (new)

Julia | 610 comments Perhaps Charles de Lint got mentioned early in this discussion, but if so it was a long time ago. Besides writing great characters (of both sexes), a great and wonderful setting(s), and a unique view of magic, one can begin reading his Newford books just about anywhere. Here are a few titles I like with male protagonists:

The Painted Boy- Brand new YA novel out this month or next with a male protagonist.
Trader (Newford Book 7)- novel
Moonlight & Vines The first Newford anthology, I think.
Someplace to Be Flying (Newford, #8)- novel
The Very Best of Charles de Lint- The "best" de Lint short stories as chosen by his fans. Have it, it's very close to the top of my TBR pile.

message 87: by JK (new)

JK (eimajtl) Child of Fire by Harry Connolly is pretty good. For some reason Ray [main character of the book] gives off a Dresden vibe. The second book of the series just came out in August so it's only two books so far though.

message 88: by Michael (new)

Michael (Keisu) I quite liked Connolly's books, a pity there are just two of them so far..

message 89: by JK (new)

JK (eimajtl) Yeah, I'm definitely going to be keeping an eye on this series and author. Connolly is a pretty neat guy too. I was just looking through his website and he's fun.

message 92: by [deleted user] (new)

I HIGHLY recommend Rob Thurman's Cal Leandros series. It's dark, gritty, and has a great mixture of legend and reality. Thurman has a wonderful talent for turning myth on its head and inverting the definitions of any mythical creature. Cal and Niko Leandros and dynamite, and each book is better than the last. This is one of my favorite series.

The Dresden Files are fantastic too, but since they are better known, I won't gush about them. :P

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 238 comments Madcap, I love the Cal Leandros series!

message 94: by Lin (new)

Lin | 3 comments I third the Cal Leandros recommendation. Can't wait for Blackout. They're so brilliantly sarcastic and Cal's just so hard not to love (reading her trickster novels now too)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 238 comments I agree, Lin. I love the deadpan humor.

message 96: by Ahrcadia the Duck Tamer (last edited Jan 13, 2011 05:11PM) (new)

Ahrcadia the Duck Tamer (BraintasiaBooks) | 29 comments Chimera by Rob Thurman is also really good, and has a male narrator.

Chimera by Rob Thurman

message 97: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, I really like that Thurman's started to mix up the POVs to the Leandros novels. Cal's great--though he can get a little angsty at times. Once I saw Niko's perspective, I wanted more. I would really love something to see Niko and Robin's POV from the first book, though I imagine it was a lot of Niko on the prowl and Robin trying to keep him from doing anything too homicidal.

Thanks for the Chimera mention, Cade, I didn't know about that one.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 238 comments I have to confess, I like Nik a little more than Cal. I know he's sort of unrealistically perfect, but I still adore Nik!

message 99: by Lin (new)

Lin | 3 comments I have to disagree, I'm such a Cal fan. Nobody brings the snark quite like Cal Leandros, but it's like armor because he's so broken. I like Nik, but I do agree he is too perfect

Ahrcadia the Duck Tamer (BraintasiaBooks) | 29 comments I wish we could get some of Robin's POV; he's one of my absolute favorite characters! Love him and Ishiah LOL.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

You Suck (other topics)
Bloodsucking Fiends (other topics)
American Gods (other topics)
Bone Song (other topics)
Master of None (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Mike Carey (other topics)
Jim Butcher (other topics)
Michael Chabon (other topics)