Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Changes sticking?

Comments (showing 1-9 of 9) (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sonky (last edited Sep 15, 2008 05:36PM) (new)

Sonky | 7 comments A reader/reviewer informed me that data for a book by Mercedes Lackey erroneously reported Larry Elmore as its author.

When I checked, the book-cover image displayed Mercedes Lackey and another author's names. The book data for Castle of Deception The Bard's Tale Book 1 contained Larry Elmore as the author. This held true for some other Lackey books: they reported Larry's authorship.

I corrected all the books, but searching Larry Elmore still returns books I edited that have no data to do with Larry. I re-verified the search results a moment ago.

Is this a system glitch? Or is the system working as-designed (WAD) for some reason?

Becky | 2 comments I'm having similar trouble with author dates. Just now I tried to update DH Lawrence's birth date to 11 Sept. 1885, only to have it default to December 13, 1901.

Sonky | 7 comments Thx for having my back, Beck.

While no one else has replied, a moment ago I did search again, and Larry's list of books no longer contains the books with corrected data.

Rindis | 20 comments I know I've seen comments from Otis about the DB index basically refreshing in the wee hours of the morning. I've seen some 'stickyness' in some of my stats, and so far waiting for the next day seems to work.

Though, Becky's problem sounds a little more serious. That's not an indexing problem.

message 5: by Bree (last edited Sep 15, 2008 05:36PM) (new)

Bree (coffeebeanbookshelf) | 14 comments I'm having a similar problem in changing authors names to the correct spelling...the books are not showing up in the right places.

For example John Sanford is an author, as well as John Sandford...the books are getting mixed in together and I tried to fix ones I knew were out of place, but they stayed the same.

Same thing happened for [auther:Heather O'Neill] (correct spelling) when I tried to move books from mispelled versions of her name Heather O'Neil and Heather O'Niell

Now that I'm doing a search for those, I see that the ones I've fixed have been corrected. So maybe it just takes time for the database to figure out where to place them?

message 6: by Otis, Chief Architect (last edited Sep 17, 2007 12:47PM) (new)

Otis Chandler | 315 comments Mod
Hi all,

As several of you have noticed, changes to book titles and author names take some time to be reflected in the Goodreads search. Currently it refreshes every 10 minutes. If the data on the book page looks correct, just have faith the search will pick up the changes!

The date problem is a known bug, that for some reason older dates on author profiles don't work so well. Working on it :)

Otis

Sonky | 7 comments Thanks Otis, for doing your own job and so many others! Three cheers for Otis!

Teresa | 3 comments Hi!

Mercedes Lackey is married to Larry Dixon and co-author with him on some books. Now, Larry Elmore, he's an artist and does tons of art for cover books, sometimes they include the name of the cover artist as author, this in sites lke amazon, etc. But he's not co-author, he's only done the art for the cover, and I know he done many for Mercedes Lackey books. I believe that's the problem.

Sonky | 7 comments This should be helpful information in understanding why the data were erroneous initially.

Good research.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Castle of Deception (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

David Zeb Cook (other topics)
Mercedes Lackey (other topics)
John Sandford (other topics)
Heather O'Neil (other topics)