Q&A with Cassandra Clare discussion

Q&A: Clockwork Angel/TMI: questions here!

Comments (showing 301-350 of 1,203) (1203 new)    post a comment »

message 301: by Talia (last edited Sep 18, 2010 04:17PM) (new)

Talia | 14 comments Have Magnus and Tessa ever considered a romantic relationship together between ID and TMI?

Carmel (CarmelF) Spoiler for Clockwork Angel
Hi Cassie, I have a couple of questions for you. Thanks for your time, you’re a champion:)
Firstly, there’s been discussion in the TMI google group about Henry being a bad seed with some hidden agenda – for those that think this, are they barking up the wrong tree in even speculating that he could be a traitor to the Enclave & his kind?
Secondly, you feature some wonderful poetry by your long time friend Elka Cloke (“Bitter Language” is on my to buy list:), my question is, that it appears to me that writing poetry is a very different skill to writing novels – would you agree with this and did you ever dabble in writing poetry and if so were you any good?
Thirdly, do you have a favourite quote by Will or Jem in CA – their banter is one of the highlights in CA, absolutely had me in stitches many times!
Last question, Mortmain with a little twist of the ring on his finger transports himself to another location (which he did to escape Will when he came to rescue Tessa in the Institute), my question is, is the ring limited to reloction in real time or can he go into the future or in the past?
Many thanks Cassie, considering you've got a wedding around the corner you are making time for us, hope all your plans are going well:)
Cheers
Carmel

Emma-Quinn (Zeeberg) Cassandra wrote: "
Yeah, plus there's all the stuff about her mom not knowing what she was. So I dont' think so. But it never hurts to ask. Hmm. Wonder what I mother was? i vote lost shadowhunter!

In which case Na..."

Oh. Yeah. Right. Darn it. But then, whatever Tessa's mom was, Nate will partly be too, right? Ah, headache from all the speculating and theories! Anyway, I know you said on you page that you've sold the rights to the Mortal Instruments movie. But is there any news on it? Like, if maybe they've finally decided to start casting and stuff?

Cassandra Clare (cassandraclare) | 387 comments Mod
Jasmine ☮ ♡ ♔ wrote: "

I'd like to meet someone who doesn't like Jace! I'd set that straight.

http://cassandraclare.livejournal.com...

Not that I want you to go around yelling at people who don't like Jace; I'm just saying — it happens!

I know that you put up the link to which character is depicted on the covers of the series, but I'd like to know who the models are. :) I've read all your responses so far and I don't remember you answering that. If you have i'm sorry!

I have no idea who any of them are. The artist keeps that information proprietary.

Talia | 14 comments Are Maryse and Robert really okay with Alec traveling with Magnus and all that entails? And will we see trouble arise over Alec being with Magnus because of his parents?

Emma (Pulvis et umbra sumus) wrote: "SPOILER

It is hinted at the end of CA, that Tessa has another power, besides the shapeshifting. No chance you can tell us something about it is there?"

No. :)

Candace wrote: "Evi wrote: "**SPOILER FOR CLOCKWORK ANGEL. SORT OF**

I think Will is somehow cursed. Something along the lines of "Anyone I love will die/have something terrible befall them." It would explai..."

A not unpopular theory.

Gabry (flemmington) Cassandra wrote: "Gabrielle wrote: "Another Clockwork Angel question. This time it's about Sophie! C:

Will the reasons about why Sophie loves Jem be answered? Like when, how, and why. Mostly I'm just curious about ..."

Ehehe, you're quite correct about that. I mostly asked that question because I'm a person that likes things to be explained to her (MATH) usually shown, told, whatnot in writing. Because for some reason I'm like that. ^o^; But I suppose if I needed to show an example, I'd probably say about how like Peeta from The Hunger Games told Katniss about why he started liking her from the first time he met and stuff. Pretty much that really.

Emily Brouggy | 2 comments Hey Cassandra, I just want you to know that your books are my all time favourites!!! (Alongside Harry Potter of course... Nostalgia would never let me forget good ol' Harry :P)

My theory is that Cecily is Will's little sister (and she and the Pyxis box have something to do with why he ran away) and that she might one day marry Gabriel Lightwood - thus, Alec resembles Will.

I know that you'll neither confirm nor deny, but a hint as to whether or not I'm on the right track would be nice :)

BTW, any chance you'll visit your fans Down Under any time soon? Aussies love you too!!!

SPOILERS....

Stray wrote: oh my god i am late!"

You're not late. This Q and A goes on until Sept. 25. I am just about to knock off and go have dinner. But you can post questions as long as you want and I will answer them when I come back.

"SPOILERS FOR CLOCKWORK ANGEL:
once the clockwork people work with demonic energy wouldn't all the shadowhunter stuff work with them?"

I *think* I know what you mean, but the answer is no, not necessarily.

"Is the De Quincey mention in the TMI?"

No.

"if De Quincey DID destroy all Shadowhunters in London, wouldn't more come from the rest of the world to replace them?"

...Yes? I'm sorry, I'm sort of lost here. De Quincey never was the author of this big destroy the Shadowhunters plan anyway. That was a red herring.

"the clockwork angel just has a significant appearance on CA once. Will it be more important in Clockwork Prince? Also are there a clockwork Prince and a Clockwork Princess like the angel?"

Yes, the angel comes back and is explained more, yes there is a prince and princess; they are characters (that you already know) and the titles are more figurative than literal.

Gypsy | 1 comments What was your inspiration to write the Mortal Instruments and the Infernal Devices?

message 312: by Jen (last edited Sep 18, 2010 04:35PM) (new)

Jen | 2 comments Hello and thanks so much for answering everyone's questions! I just loved Clockwork Angel.

SPOILERS for Clockwork Angel and City of Glass...

1) In an interview, you said that when Tessa saw Jace at the end of City of Glass it was a bit like seeing a ghost. Since you've also confirmed that Jace and Will are related (though possibly not directly), does it follow that Jace looks like Will? Or could there be someone else whom Jace resembles that would be so striking to Tessa?

2) Can you provide any details about Jem's feelings for Sophie?

3) Is the box that Jace receives from Amatis the same box from Will's memories? I noticed it had birds (herons?) on it. Would the design on the box be similar to the design on Will's ring?

I'm curious about Magnus's reasons for wanting the White Book...

Emily (broomaku) Hello Cassandra! I am so happy that you are doing this! I was wondering what your favorite book that you have wrote is? Also I was wondering your opinion on The Hunger Games trilogy, have you ever read it? If so do you like it?

Benjamin Thornton (B17-T93) ***spoiler alert***
I have a couple of questions.
One: I have heard people say that Clary and Jace may not be siblings. Is this true?
Two: Are Alec and Magnus Bane going to be a couple?

Jewel | 4 comments Why is Will so upset at the end of CA?

Diana (wonderbooks) | 2 comments Hey Cassandra!
I'm totally in love with your books.
So, are we gonna see more characters from Infernal Devices on TMI? Could you give us just a hint about someone who might show up in the future?

Thank you!

Jenna (comet400) | 17 comments 1) If the clockwork angel type stuff is so big 150 years ago, then why is it never used or mentioned in TMI? Is there some conspiracy or some clave secret about it?

2) is the teaser, " Magnus still had his head in his hand.”i just don’t see,” he said,
“why the past has to matter.”"
was he talking to Alec about his ex? does she create problems with them?

Lisarenee | 24 comments ******SPOILER FOR CLOCKWORK ANGEL *********
Cassandra said, "I guess I would say, if Mortmain had the technology to create an automaton so sophisticated that it didn't even know it was one, why is he doofing around with these much lesser models? Of course perhaps Tessa was created by someone else, and what Mortmain is after is the secret of how they did it .... ;)"

I thought his part in Tessa's creation was that he brought Tessa's Mom and her father (whoever he truly is) together at the club. I thought I read her father posed as Tessa's Mom's husband. Since Mortmain's human I'd guess he couldn't have done much more than that considering his life span. I do read a lot of books, but I usually can keep them straight. Am I wrong?

Mia (◕‿◕✿) (lame) hi cassandra. are the tmi books going to be made into movies, ever? <:)

Allison Stennett (RunPerfect13ReadPerfect) | 1 comments Hey Cassandra,
I was wondering how you came up with such a unquie idea for the MI books. Like were you in a store and was like that could be a good idea to write a book, or did you just start writing and it grew from there?
Love your writing!

Karina ~every sigh feels like~xxmiaxx~a silent scream~ wrote: "hi cassandra. are the tmi books going to be made into movies, ever? <:)"

I'm pretty sure the rights to the book were optioned for.

Karina Seeker wrote: "I'm not sure if this question was asked yet, sorry if it was.

Since Tessa is immortal and won't die, doesn't that mean she'll end up alone? Will or Jem won't age and die so will Tessa end up like..."

Cassandra! You should really answer this one because I really want to know the answer to it! (post #308)

Ɔαρтʋяɛ∂ βɛαʋтʏ (01BandGeek) Okay first I would like to say that I love your books! I've read them so many times it is crazy!
So now my question is What is the new book to the Mortal Instruments going to be about?

Also, how did you come up with the idea for the series?

message 324: by [deleted user] (new)

Karina wrote: "Seeker wrote: "I'm not sure if this question was asked yet, sorry if it was.

Since Tessa is immortal and won't die, doesn't that mean she'll end up alone? Will or Jem won't age and die so will ..."

Not to jump in ahead of Cassandra Clare on this, but this question has already been answered several times. We shouldn't make assumptions about anyone's immortality or lack thereof, and just because one person may live longer than the other shouldn't negate the entire relationship.
I'm paraphrasing Cassandra here, but I think that was the gist of it.

Stacy | 1 comments Candace wrote: "Karina wrote: "Seeker wrote: "I'm not sure if this question was asked yet, sorry if it was.

Since Tessa is immortal and won't die, doesn't that mean she'll end up alone? Will or Jem won't age a..."

Not to also jump ahead but post 336 by Candace is right - as Cassandra has pointed out, chances are that humans that are in love don't die at the same time. Why should that fear prevent love? :)

message 326: by Emma (new)

Emma (rytercat) | 1 comments If Valentine is dead by the end of CoG, who is gonna be the bad guy??

Karina OOh. that makes sense. I just got on and reading 300+ post meant I would never catch up so I let it be. Thanks though!

Sarah | 4 comments Hey Cassandra, again. This is kind of a weird question, but I don't care!!! :) If one character that you made could come to life, in your opinion, who would it be & why? :)

Wendes | 8 comments Oh, okay thanks :D

Heather (oracleslegs) | 1 comments Hi Cassandra, I have a writing question for you not listed on your website. I wanted to know where you get inspiration or how you come up with realistic or feasible villains. I have a few villains in my stories that I am writing that are definitely dark and evil however sometimes they lack the proper motivation. Why on earth are they even bothering to attack my characters, sometimes I think I know why but it just doesn't hold up with the story. You definitely know how to write a villain who knows their purpose and motivation. So, any advice for getting my head in the villainous game?

By the way, half way done with Clockwork Angel, super dark and wonderful! So far so good!
Thanks, Heather

Karen | 2 comments Hi, Cassandra!

I love your books! You are so creative! I see people at school, boys and girls, and they have their head buried in your books!

Here's my question:
Who is your favorite couple to write about?

Thanks! Keep on writing!

xxx
Karen

message 332: by Ash (new)

Ash | 6 comments Hi Cassandra!!

I heard about the second TMI trilogy, and I'm excited, but having watched the Maximum Ride series go through a period of descend, I'm afraid another three books might ruin the first TMI trilogy because the first TMI books were somewhat centered around Clary & Jace's love life and Valentine's...evilness, and now that both problem's are solved, what will happen to the series? I'm sorry to be so blunt, but I seriously love your books and couldn't bear it if they were to...descend to the level of ordinariness.

Oh, and I just finished the Clockwork Angel this morning! Yay (:

Meghan | 1 comments hi, I was wondering if you have the whole story worked out in your head for the upcoming books, like Clockwork prince, princess, city of fallen angels and
etc. So in better terms do you already know how the series will end and what will happen?

message 334: by Ash (new)

Ash | 6 comments Hi (again)!

*********SPOILERS FOR THE CLOCKWORK ANGEL*************

Sometime during the book, wasn't Jem's cane broken in the first automaton attack on the Institute? In the later chapters it appeared whole again, so that got me a bit confused.

Also, Will's character is so distant! :O

Katrina | 4 comments SPOILER (well maybe??)

Just wondering if Will has the white star shaped scar in CA (the one that Jace and all the Herondales have)???

Love Jem but I have to say - I'm team Will at this point in time.

Also I LOVE the books!!! Am in Australia and very sad that I can't get my hands on a COG with the chapter of COFA - have considered ordering one from the US and probably will as the suspense is killing me!!!!

message 336: by Barbara or EndlesslySparkly (last edited Sep 18, 2010 05:43PM) (new)

Barbara or EndlesslySparkly Will Aline Penhallow still be mentioned more in COFA and in later books as a minor character or major?,and will she be "evil"*inserts evil laugh* or will she be "nicer" *inserts happy music such as a Christmas melody* b/c i noticed in COG she seemed to be a lil jellyin after she found out Clary and Jace could date.
also will the Penhallows still be in contact with the Lightwoods or did Max's death leave them off in a bad note?kk uno mas did the real Sebastin really die?

message 337: by [deleted user] (new)

Ash wrote: "Hi Cassandra!!

I heard about the second TMI trilogy, and I'm excited, but having watched the Maximum Ride series go through a period of descend, I'm afraid another three books might ruin the fir..."

Based on the supreme awesomeness of the first cycle of TMI, do you really think Cassandra Clare would give us anything other than awesome?
But, I do agree; some series have tapered off in the level of quality, but I doubt that will happen with TMI since Clare spends a lot of time outlining the story.
I expect the second cycle to be just as amazing as the first. :)

Christine Halliday (achalliday) | 2 comments I was wondering if you could make the TMI series movies? I really want to watch it as a movie!!!!

message 339: by Su (new)

Su (redcrest) | 10 comments Hi Cassandra--I'm a new fan who's just finishing up "City of Glass" right now. I have to say I was EXTREMELY tickled by the fact that Max and Sebastian were reading the "Angel Sanctuary" manga--one of my faves from high school! Was that a bit of an inside joke/homage regarding the SaraxSetsuna brotherxsister relationship (RE: ClaryxJace)? Also, as a fellow anime fan, I just have to ask--did you get Sebastian's name from a certain smolderingly hawt black-haired butler? ;-D (I love him too~~) In any case, I absolutely love the little nods and winks scattered throughout MI (or am I just reading into things too much?). Thanks as well for MagnusxAlec--so great to have a canon same-sex couple!! XD

message 340: by Lea (new)

Lea (Londoninmymind) | 2 comments Cassandra wrote: "SPOILERS....

Stray wrote: oh my god i am late!"

You're not late. This Q and A goes on until Sept. 25. I am just about to knock off and go have dinner. But you can post questions as long as you wa..."

Since you've said that the next to covers in the ID-series will feature Jem and Tessa, respectively, would it be right to assume that they are The Clockwork Prince/Princess?

Sarah | 1 comments Are other immortal characters from TMI, like Meliorn and Rapheal, also going to pop up in your Clockwork series? Also have we heard of what type of downworlder Tessa is before or is it a new type you haven't introduced yet?

Sophiee.†. WaylandMellarkTallynCullen (BookLoversYeYe) | 1 comments hey cassandra I would firstly like to say WOW you might just be the best writter i have read and secondly i dont know if you will answer this or not but i was just wondering because i luv clary and jace if they get married or something because as it says shadowhunters live shorter lives!!!! and i was also just wondering if simon gets with isabelle or mayia!!!!

Melannie :) (melannie_reads) hi Cassandra,

is the cute, sweet, video-games-lover, best friend forever (yeah I'm talking about Simon) ever going to get what he wants and deserves?

he deserves a happy ending!

also, is Simon's band having an apperance in the upcoming books? I miss those guys! ):

Jessica (LuauLau) | 10 comments ****SPOILER ALERT****

Cassandra Clare, you are my favorite author. I'm one of those people that is always able to predict the ending of a movie or book but you always kept me guessing which is so refreshing. I get so emotionally invested in your books that when you torture your characters, you torture me (a sign of greatness in my opinion).
My question is on TMI since I am currently reading CA.

1) Jace has been constantly tormented with his love for Clary, finding out she's his sister, temporarily disowned by his adopted family, not being trusted, finding out he's been lied to and that Valentine isn't really his father, Jocelyn not wanting him to be with Clary, upsetting the delicate balance of life and death (excerpt from COFA) so on and so forth. Will the poor guy ever catch a break and be at peace with himself and those around him? He's my favorite character and I find myself feeling concerned for his well-being, haha.

2) Is there anything new you can tell us regarding the graphic novel? I can't seem to find any new information dated after Free Comic Book Day.

Thank you so much for all the time you devote to your avid readers! It's greatly appreciated.

bjneary When will City of Angels be available and how many books in this series? I am a high school librarian and I have read all 4 of your books, the MI trilogy and Clockwork Angel and I LOVE THEM----so do my students! You have created such a great world of the Nephilim, I can't put your books down and my daughter yells at me because I am not making dinner! You know that says you have written a great book with wonderful characters, suspense and romance! Thank you!

Jessica (LuauLau) | 10 comments bjneary wrote: "When will City of Angels be available and how many books in this series? I am a high school librarian and I have read all 4 of your books, the MI trilogy and Clockwork Angel and I LOVE THEM----so ..."

Hope this helps!
http://www.cassandraclare.com/cms/faq...

Jessica (LuauLau) | 10 comments Achalliday wrote: "I was wondering if you could make the TMI series movies? I really want to watch it as a movie!!!!"

Hope this helps!
http://www.cassandraclare.com/cms/faq...

Dianadee medicci | 6 comments i have seen pictures of the graphic novel for COB where can you buy it or if its not out when will it be available??

message 349: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1 comments Hi Cassandra! I just want to say thank you, thank you, thank you! I've tremendously enjoyed reading Clockwork Angel and it's now on my Favorites List along with the TMI series. I can't get enough! I've been moping around my house now that I've finished CA and if I didn't have a book club book I had to read, I'd go right back to reading TMI again. It looks like I have a lot to remember! Oh, and I just had to let you know that I did a little happy dance and shouted a random "Yay!" when we officially met Church. I love that cat! Ok, on to my questions...

**Spoiler??**

At the end of CA when Tessa was reading the Codex, she confirmed what Will said about how Warlocks can't have children. Jem mentioned that they weren't entirely sure about her lineage and that she's special. If Warlocks truly can't produce offspring, would it be a fair statement that there aren't that many Warlocks out in the world? I mean, how often do demons breed with humans? And, if her mother wasn't a human would she and a demon actually create a Warlock? I don't believe there was a "term" for what Sebastain was, is there? Are demons and faeries able to produce?

Also,
Will we learn more about Church later in the series? Jem had a hunch about Church being special when he found him, but Will didn't seem that excited about him. Did the connection between Shadowhunters and cats begin with Church or long before that?

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer your fans-it is really an honor!

KSMary | 1 comments Cassandra,
Before reading Clockwork Angels, i decided to reread the Mortal Instruments series, and i have two questions.

1) While rereading City of Glass, I found a little part at the end around the time with the celebration.
It was when Clary saw Magnus talking with a brown haired girl that looked strangely familiar. Could that possibly be Tess?
2)Will Valentine make a reappearence in any of the newer books? Really, at this point, it wouldn't surprise me.

Sincerly,
Your Loving Fan

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

City of Heavenly Fire (other topics)
City of Lost Souls (other topics)
Clockwork Angel (other topics)