The Bronze Horseman discussion

Book Club > October Book Club Suggestions

Comments (showing 1-33 of 33) (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alycia (new)

Alycia | 549 comments Mod
Have any suggestions for October? Let us know. :)

message 2: by Megan (last edited Sep 14, 2010 03:27PM) (new)

Megan | 410 comments THe Thorn Birds - Colleen MnCullough, Roots - Alex Haley, Never Let Me Go - Kazuo Ishiguro?

message 3: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 183 comments What about the white mare (Jules Watson)? It's hard choosing books that not everyone has read. What came second in the poll we just did? We could do that one... good idea organising October early so people have time to get the book!

message 4: by Mishelle (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (MsShell) I second The White Mare (Dalriada Trilogy, #1) by Jules Watson mainly because I have it already.. Lol.. and it's supposed to be FANTASTIC.

message 5: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 7 comments I had to look up White Mare because I had never heard of it. Usually seeing somebody Irish in a book makes me cringe (I cannot read Irish modern fiction.. at all!) but considering this is set in the past Im sure I could manage without hiding the book under a pillow haha!
I would love to read The Thorn Birds. I've heard so many good things.
Ive read Never Let Me Go already and I wouldnt class it as a great read to be honest. I struggled to finish it.
Roots sounds like a very interesting read.

message 6: by Megan (new)

Megan | 410 comments Hannah, if The Thorn Birds isn't selected, do yourself a favour and get your hands on a copy anyway, it's up there with TBH. Roots is on my to read list, mum has read it and said it's brilliant...

message 7: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 7 comments Mumbo Ive been told before that its my kind of read, and i'll get a good cry out of it! I'll check out the library for a copy when Im picking up North and South :)

message 8: by Megan (new)

Megan | 410 comments Cry? OMG will you ever! I love a book that makes me howl! I must be a glutton for punishment or something?!

Claire Mojieski | 9 comments Shell wrote: "I second The White Mare (Dalriada Trilogy, #1) by Jules Watson mainly because I have it already.. Lol.. and it's supposed to be FANTASTIC."

I agree. I've had this book for a while and just haven't gotten around to reading it, but I've heard great reviews about it!

message 10: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 7 comments Sarah's Key
Im suggesting Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Ronsay because Ive heard amazing things about this book.

message 11: by Moni (new)

Moni | 79 comments Hannah that sounds like agood one to. Looks like we are going to have another hard poll on our hands..lol :)

message 12: by Alycia (new)

I have The White Mare too, just bought it. I will create a poll with all suggestions soon.

message 13: by Mishelle (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (MsShell) Sarah's Key looks real good.. But I am not sure I could handle the inevitable heart shattering content..

message 14: by Mara (new)

Mara | 19 comments I want to read Thorn Birds!! been trying to but never came around to it, i heard it was good.

I have read Sarah's Key and it is not "rich"; the story seemed interesting but very predictable and seems like the author tried so hard to make it dramatic.

message 15: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 183 comments Thorn Birds was good but when I finished it I couldn't decide if I really loved it or not. It goes through a whole life/generations and just went too far for me, too many new characters introduced right up until the end and following different stories. On the one hand I didn't enjoy it because of that, but on the other hand one of the storylines was just so sad and touching that I kind of liked it.

message 16: by Leea (new)

Leea | 317 comments Thorn birds... Please!! I really want to read it. I just finished the white mare trilogy. Awesome!!!

message 17: by Alycia (new)

I'm going to do a poll next week for the October book. Please make all suggestions soon, thanks! :)

message 18: by Elaine (new)

Elaine | 22 comments In Lucia's Eyes by Arthur Japin

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I personally didn't care for the White Mare and couldn't finish it, but my opinion may have been colored by personal stuff I was going through at the time. I've always been intrigued by the Thorn Birds and havn't read that one yet, so I like that idea.

If I had to throw out a suggestion, it would be "The Light Bearer" by Donna Gillespie. That book is fantastic, set in ancient Rome and Germania. Also, possibly Ken Follet's "Fall of Giants." I just got a copy at the library and I'm reading that one next.

message 20: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 183 comments I think a lot of people have suggested Thorn Birds?

message 21: by Alycia (new)

Ok, I will create a poll on friday. Sorry, I have been absent. I have had computer problems :(

message 22: by Mishelle (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (MsShell) I second The Light Bearer by Donna Gillespie... this looks awesome.

message 23: by Alycia (new)

I just created the poll. It will be open through next friday. You should get an email from GR about the poll.

I am going to have a hard time choosing because there are a few I want to read :)

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (ThePirateWench) | 4 comments Shell wrote: "I second The Light Bearer by Donna Gillespie... this looks awesome."

This book is awesome Shell! I would Love to re-read!
and there is a sequel Lady of the Light by Donna Gillespie

message 25: by Mishelle (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (MsShell) Ya, I would totally be into reading it. It looks like my kinda book.

message 26: by Leea (new)

Leea | 317 comments What are we reading in January??? :)

message 27: by Alycia (new)

I have no idea. Anyone can give suggestions and I can do a poll.

message 28: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 636 comments What about another Paullina Simons? Not TBH series.

I also wouldn't mind reading Shell's suggestion looks good.

message 29: by Alycia (new)

I'm for that. Any one in particular Kelly? I can add Shell's too.

message 30: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 636 comments I want to read The Girl From Time Square.

message 31: by Moni (new)

Moni | 79 comments I am so out of the loop guys. I have been traveling and totally missed the new poll. Has it been posted just yet? What are we reading? Someone fill me in please????!!! lol Hope you are all well and are enjoying the holiday season...

message 32: by Alycia (new)

I haven't done a poll yet... I wasn't getting updates.

message 33: by Mishelle (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (MsShell) What was my selection??? Lol

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The White Mare (other topics)
Sarah's Key (other topics)
The Light Bearer (other topics)
Lady of the Light (other topics)
More...