Barnes & Noble Nook discussion

Nook - The Technical Side > Can Nook handle PDF books?

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Raggedyann (last edited Sep 13, 2010 03:44AM) (new)

Raggedyann | 61 comments If so, what is the trick to getting them on your Nook in a readable format?

Free PDF cookbooks:
http://moms-diner.com/downloads

Yvonne | 16 comments Nook will read pdf books, but sometimes the pages are a bit off, but I've read pdfs with my Nook. Lately, I've been converting my pdf's using the Callibre Library software, but not all pdfs can be converted.

Samantha (very-simple) Nook can read PDFs, but the formatting can be wonky, largely because of the PDF format itself. If you think about the nature of PDFs, you'll understand why - PDFs are essentially static pages (almost bordering on images) that are typically formatted for an 8.5/11 page. Unless it's been programmed to "reflow" correctly, it's going to be hard to view on any screen that's not 8.5/11. Epubs and pdbs are designed for e-readers, so they reflow all the time.

I've found that I have relatively good luck with specifically "ebook" pdfs (i.e., some library books are in this format), but that's largely because these are pdfs that were formatted as ebooks in the first place, rather than letter-sized documents.

Bekah (page317) | 25 comments Has anyone been able to read a book bought from Amazon on their Nook?

Noemi Mendez (divinemsn) | 4 comments Bekah wrote: "Has anyone been able to read a book bought from Amazon on their Nook?"

I don't think it's possible because the Kindle/Amazon e-book is in a format that can't be read by the Nook. But I could be wrong.

Bekah (page317) | 25 comments thanks Noemi!

Rushevents | 2 comments Bekah wrote: "thanks Noemi!"

Kindle is a proprietary format meant only for the Kindle. Although Jeff Bezos has made noises that he would eventually allow other formats to be sold - but that day is not today.

unread topics | mark unread