The Sword and Laser discussion

The Blade Itself > Songs of ice and Angland

Comments (showing 1-14 of 14) (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

Tom Merritt (tommerritt) | 727 comments Mod
I'm halfway through Before They are hanged, and it's remarkable to me how much this series makes me feel as I did when I read songs of ice and fire. I think the world is shy a bit of the depth and darkness of Martin, but the story and the characters are just as compelling and mostly as real.

Whatndo you think? Is Abercrombie worthynof the comparison?

message 2: by terpkristin (last edited Sep 12, 2010 04:16PM) (new)

terpkristin | 2813 comments I agree that the series is dark (and in many ways, Abercrombie seems as ruthless as Martin), but I have to say, I wasn't drawn into Abercrombie's world as much as I was Martin's. I also, as much as I hate to admit it, got bored with the Abercrombie's style, mostly in the 3rd book, I felt like I had to finish it, not that I wanted to. I've never felt that way with Martin's stuff (except for waiting interminably).

Edit to add: but that's just me. It may have been a bad timing thing for me with reading The First Law trilogy. Less than a month after I finished Last Argument of Kings, I barely remember how it ended or much of what went on in that one. Maybe in some downtime, I'll give it another go.

Halbot42 | 185 comments It reallly makes sense the two seems so simlilar i believe i heard that Abercrombie is a student of martin's writing workshops. I agree they share a certain cynical darkness and a willingness to go against what have become tradional fantasy themes or archetypes. Martin is much more experienced, polished writer, but Abercrombie is improving rapidly, the newest book Best Served Cold shows alot of growth.

Peter Hansen (ptrhansen) | 51 comments I finally just finished The Blade Itself last night and I agree with Tom on the character depth. I immediately downloaded Before They Are Hanged and Last Argument of Kings from the kindle store (I use my iPod Touch to read the kindle app on) to find out where the story goes next. With the different group's stories starting to merge together I really want to keep going. The way the first one ended (or rather didn't) it makes the trilogy more like on larger tome broken into three smaller books.

Curt Taylor (meegeek) | 107 comments I am in the middle of Best Served Cold. Hard to call it a sequel, but it does take place after the Battle of Adua in the last book. Brings back a lot of the minor characters (Shivers, Vitari, Cosca, Carlotta Van Eider, Duke Orso) and Abercrombie fleshes them out quite a bit more. Great read so far, about 70% atm, and much longer then his other books. Or at least it seems that way. I can understand how you could either hate or love the authors style. Having not read Martin (on my list) I can't compare, but I do enjoy the way Abercrombie writes fight and battle scenes. He also has a very unique sense of humor for a fantasy writer. As soon as I am done with this plan on moving to the Martin tomes. From what I am reading here, I have high expectations.

Vance | 357 comments What I got from Martin was not more darkness, but more of a feeling that I knew the "world" he was writing about. While I loved Abercrombie's books nearly as much (and appreciated the fact that he finished his story in three books!!), I felt a "fog of war" about the world outside of the few windows we were given.

Maybe it is my love of maps, world-building, etc.

message 7: by Curt (last edited Sep 24, 2010 05:56PM) (new)

Curt Taylor (meegeek) | 107 comments Vance wrote: "What I got from Martin was not more darkness, but more of a feeling that I knew the "world" he was writing about. While I loved Abercrombie's books nearly as much (and appreciated the fact that he..."

There has been a lot of discussion on other sites about the lack of maps in his books. Did find this one http://fc01.deviantart.com/fs40/f/200... if you are interested. Is not near complete enough, especially for the follow on books. Does give you a better image and, at least imho, illustrates the need for maps in Abercrombie's world. He is not a big fan though (http://www.joeabercrombie.com/2007/10...)

Vance | 357 comments That is a very cool map, thanks! I think that would have helped some. I think some books can do just fine without any extensive world-building, and simply focus on the immediate action, characters and plot. But Abercrombie's series was very much a world-spanning adventure, with cultural clashes, and I didn't feel I got a good feel for them all.

But, the characters and action more than made up for this, so the trilogy was very enjoyable regardless.

Curt Taylor (meegeek) | 107 comments Just started A Game of Thrones the other night. Getting into it, but already I can see some of the similarities. Much bigger world and a lot more characters. I keep asking myself; How did I miss this one?

Vance | 357 comments Curt wrote: "Just started A Game of Thrones the other night. Getting into it, but already I can see some of the similarities. Much bigger world and a lot more characters. I keep asking myself; How ..."

I read that first book almost straight through!

Curt Taylor (meegeek) | 107 comments Vance wrote: "
I read that first book almost straight through! "

Just finished last night and started on

A Clash of Kings, pretty much straight through. WOW, can't wait for more.

Patrick (HalfAdd3r) | 89 comments I'm listening to the Audiobooks and just started the second book. I'm STILL trying to figure out how Joe Abercrombie made a torturer into someone I'm now rooting for!

Feargal | 12 comments Abercrombie is improving as he goes on but GRRM is getting worse. I thought the last two Ice and Fire books were not up to the beginning of the series. I'm hoping he pulls it together with dragons.

Kevin Ashby | 91 comments terpkristin wrote: "I agree that the series is dark (and in many ways, Abercrombie seems as ruthless as Martin), but I have to say, I wasn't drawn into Abercrombie's world as much as I was Martin's. I also, as much a..."
You didn't get tired of Martin in "A Feast for Crows?" Holy moly I hated that book! Terrible characters with boring story lines. A complete total waste of time and paper. At least Abercrombie brought his story to a relatively quick conclusion.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Last Argument of Kings (other topics)
Best Served Cold (other topics)
A Game of Thrones (other topics)
A Clash of Kings (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Joe Abercrombie (other topics)