Aussie Readers discussion

Just for Fun! > The Sport Spot - Comment here on what's happening in the world of Aussie sports!

Comments (showing 1-50 of 1,420) (1420 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 12, 2010 06:16PM) (new)

Okay here is the spot for those of you interested in sport. I might break it down into more specific sports later on if we have enough interested. For now feel free to come in and talk about your favourite sport and what is happening in it. From the Tour de France, to Synchronized Swimming if that is what you are interested in. I am not going to be critical and I expect others to be respectful also.
(Unless it is team against team in which case it's a free for all.) :D

I am still sulking over the weekends results and don't want to talk sport right now. The Tigers when down, the Sydney Swans went down and the Wallablies went down. >:(.

MandyM | 2032 comments Gail "cyborg" wrote: "Okay here is the spot for those of you interested in sport. I might break it down into more specific sports later on if we have enough interested. For now feel free to come in and talk about your f..."

Loving your sport spot Gail. I don't usually watch much sport but the Commonwealth Games are coming up in New Delhi on 3rd October and I love those opening ceremonies!

The Channel 10 Promo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8pfSh...

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Ha ha. I'll leave you to comment on the opening ceremony Mandy. I'll save my self for the sporting events. :)

Jan (Auntyjan) | 199 comments Ice-skating is my favourite, I have to wait another 3 months before I can skate again!(Already 3 months since I broke my arm at rollerblading.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Sorry to hear about your arm Jan. I am currently sitting out at the moment as well. I was planning to run in the City-2-Surf this year and had been training hard. 2 weeks before the race I developed a sore ankle. It turned out to be a stress fracture and I couldn't run in the race. >:(

I haven't been able to start running again, it's killing me.

Paul Daniels (Mrpld) | 155 comments Sorry to hear about your injuries Gail and Jan. I for one somewhat wish I was in a position to acquire such - they shut our local squash courts down about 15 months ago. I've played for 25 years - and since the shutdown I've porked out about 15kg, 2 sizes of jeans and picked up all manner of unwell feelings (not to mention anxiety disorder). On the upside, I did a lot of reading while I was feeling my worst :)

Paul.

message 7: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 13, 2010 09:18PM) (new)

Paul I know the feeling. Its easy to put on weight when you're used to regular exercise. I have done very little since July. Baseball season starts next week. (I play in a hit and giggle side.) I am going to start running again then, easing into it.

Paul Daniels (Mrpld) | 155 comments Gail,

I was thinking of picking up cycling, though the weather is quite brutal up here for anything between 9am~6pm during summer - I did play squash during the day in the peak heat of the day but it seems different, less brutal than being in the actual sun (despite the lack of airconditioning).

Good luck with the baseball, I frequently wanted and tried to play but I was a bit too chicken of that ball being hurtled at me by the pitcher.

Paul.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

It really doesn't hurt much when you get hit. I managed to get hit-by-pitch on a number of occasions last season. It was my first season. On one occasion the pitcher abused me for not getting out of the way. Believe me I was trying. I had a massive bruise that lasted about two weeks.

It's a lot of fun. You don't get a lot of exercise playing baseball, made worse by the fact that we enjoy sharing an esky after the match. :)

Paul Daniels (Mrpld) | 155 comments Gail "cyborg" wrote: "It really doesn't hurt much when you get hit."

I think I'll stick to squash and risking being docked in the back of the knee by a loose cannon rookie shot (thankfully after a few years if you're playing with good opponents you can play quite tight without striking each other).

Fortunately for me there were no coldies involved in the after-match gatherings, okay, I confess to frequently enjoying a bag of Salt & Vinegar chips and a can of Ginger-ale after a winning round :)

Jan (Auntyjan) | 199 comments Pity you can't go ice-skating, Paul...it's a great way to exercise all year round. Fortunately it's just my arm that's injured,so I can still walk, good for mind and body. Tonight I'm going back to tap dancing for the first time in three months.

MandyM | 2032 comments So being such a sports guru Gail what are your tips and/or games to watch over the weekend!! :)

message 13: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 15, 2010 08:23PM) (new)

Mmmmmm. Well if you are interested in Rugby League. (which I will pretend a little interest.)
Friday night Canberra v's Tigers, now I once was a follower of the Tigers but rugby League & the appalling behaviour of the players has made my interest dwindle. I think Canberra will win this one. Tige's have too many injuries.

Saturday Roosters v Penrith. I would like Penrith to win. (Roosters have no supporters.)

message 14: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 16, 2010 12:23AM) (new)

Rugby Union. Last week was the final game for Australia in the Tri-nations, shattering loss to the Wallabies against the All Blacks last weekend.

The local comp will see the Eastwood v Eastern Suburbs. Go the Woodies. (My little boy plays rep. rugby for Eastwood, he's a back)

The other final is Manly v Randwick I hope they pulverise each other. :)

message 15: by K (new)

K | 61 comments Gail "cyborg" wrote: "Mmmmmm. Well if you are interested in Rugby League. (which I will pretend a little interest.)
Friday night Canberra v's Tigers, now I once was a follower of the Tigers but rugby League & the appal..."

Gail, once a Tigers supporter, always a Tigers supporter!
*channeling good vibes to Benji and all the injured players*

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I do still support the Tige's if I'm asked. It's Rugby League I struggle to support. I know there are heaps of good players but there are far too many ick ones that ruin it for me.

message 17: by K (new)

K | 61 comments I know what you mean. At least the Tige's are relatively un-newsworthy in that sense. And I hope it continues to stay that way! I like going to Leichhardt Oval because it's family friendly and hassle-free.

MandyM | 2032 comments I'm going for the Canberra Raiders and the Roosters this weekend (cause Wally Lewis aka. 'the King' told me to).;D

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Mandy wrote: "I'm going for the Canberra Raiders and the Roosters this weekend (cause Wally Lewis aka. 'the King' told me to).;D"

Boo hiss. Curse you Wally Lewis. Go the Tige's go Penrith.

K wrote: " I like going to Leichhardt Oval because it's family friendly and hass..."

I used to go to Leichhardt oval a lot. My Husband now takes the kids without me. My husband and daughter are Parra fan(yes we do feel a little sympathy for them) my son is a Tigers fan. :)

David Delaney | 786 comments If I must I will go the green machine, Tigers have tooo many injuries, then Penrith for a win there, but Titans in the grand final, have to have a QLD team in the final, & something that gets right up my nose is so called QLDer's who are soooo parochial (especially during State of Origin) & get soooo upset if a NSW follower rubbishes QLD, they then turn around and follow a NSW team, GO FIGURE!!!..if your a QLDer, support a bloody QLD team.
stepping down from my soapbox now (-:

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Yay. Go for it David. We want people on their soap boxes here. That's what a sporting thread is about. People with passion.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Well the Tigers got up!!!!! Yahoo, Canberra are gorn!!!!! Next week the Tigers are playing the chokers (St George, for those of you not as familiar with the League)

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Now to report on the important game of the weekend.

:( The G&T's (my baseball team) went down this weekend. It was the first game of the season we were all a little rusty. The ball didn't seem to want to stick in the glove and the opositions hits seemed to find the holes in the field. They won't beat us next time. The final score 19 - 13, not close but there is hope for us.

The esky after the game made it all worth while. :D

message 24: by K (new)

K | 61 comments Go Tiges! *jumps up and down in excitement*

Gail, I also live in a Tigers/Eels household, my partner (and family and all his friends) are Parra supporters. Sorry your basebase team lost :( Better luck next week!

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks K. Go the Tiges! The baseball team is just for fun really, we have brushed the loss off already. :)

Sandra | 178 comments This is an Eels/Eels household here. Bring on 2011....

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

It was a tough year for Eels supporters. They did so brilliantly last year. My husband is claiming a victory -- yes he is desperate.

David Casey Stoner's on pole for Aragon! Come on you Aussies, let's hear a cheer! Or don't you like motorbikes?

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Excellent David. Australians love all sport. We have had some extremely successful motorbike riders over the years. I don't mind motorbikes, I'm not into cars. (I used to ride trail bikes in my teens, I grew up in the country).

David Casey Stoner has won! He rode absolutely brilliantly, Ducati are going to miss him next season unless Valentino gets back to form.

MandyM | 2032 comments David wrote: "Casey Stoner has won! He rode absolutely brilliantly, Ducati are going to miss him next season unless Valentino gets back to form."

Aussie Aussie Aussie - Oi Oi Oi!!! Go Casey....

casey stoner

Aragon MotoGP: Casey Stoner takes pole with Jorge Lorenzo second
Casey Stoner clinches his first MotoGP pole position since the season opener in Qatar at the inaugural Aragon Grand Prix .
The Australian returned the quickest time of the weekend so far on his penultimate lap as he crossed in a time of one minute 48.942seconds.

MandyM | 2032 comments Uh Oh! The Commonwealth Games in Delhi are looking a bit dodgy!
delhi

message 33: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 22, 2010 06:18PM) (new)

Athletes are starting to pull out. I work with an Indian, his opinion is that countries should simply pull out, refuse to go. He is extremely embarrassed by what is happening and wants the other countries participating in the games to send a clear message to the organisers.

I think this line is rather hard on the athletes. It's an event that only happens every 4 years for some of them. For the more elite althletes it's probably not such a big deal. So much effort. My heart goes out to them.

MandyM | 2032 comments I feel really sorry for the Indian people. I imagine they are really excited about this international event and it must be very disheartening for all these things to be going wrong.
I read they interviewed the organisers about the above bridge collapse and their response was that the bridge wouldn't have been used by athletes??!!

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes, I remember the Sydney Olympics. It was such a wonderful vibrant time. The whole city was alive. Everyone was so excited to have the event here. To miss out on that opportunity would have been devastating.

Jan (Auntyjan) | 199 comments There's no excuse for this fiasco in India...they could've got Australian companies to oversee and then supplied the workers...I think the Chinese did that with some of their buildings for the Olympics.

Now where are all the AFL fans? My team, West Coast Eagles, got the wooden spoon, so I'm going for Collingwood as we're still a bit partial to Mick Malthouse!

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Sorry I can't go for Collingwood I'll have to support St Kilda.

message 38: by MandyM (last edited Sep 23, 2010 04:01PM) (new)

MandyM | 2032 comments So I hear there's an AFL final coming up!;D I saw some exerpts of the 'Footy Show' AFL version. What's with those footy guys and wearing women's clothes! LOL. They do it practically every show and fall about laughing at themselves in dress-up!

Have a great Grand Final to all the AFL supporters!!

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Ha yes, it doesn't take much to amuse a footy player. :D

Jan (Auntyjan) | 199 comments I can't believe it! It's a draw! Only twice before has an AFL game ended in a draw...the last time was 1977. Now there'll be a replay next week...that's the rules apparently. Doesn't seem to make much sense...I'm sure there's going to be a lot of talk.

MandyM | 2032 comments Great weekend for football fans! Here's a photo that sums up well the disbelief when a draw was called between Collingwood and St Kilda:
svDISBELIEF-420x0

And very sad for the Titans fans who lost to the Roosters:
sad-end-to-top-year

Jan (Auntyjan) | 199 comments Thanks for that excellent summary in pictures of the weekend in sport! Well done Mandy!

message 43: by David (last edited Sep 29, 2010 03:14AM) (new)

David Just to let you know that a British woman, Emma Pooley, has done something very special in Geelong at the World Cycling Championships.

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Well don't be shy David, tell us all about it. :)

David She won the Time Trial! First time ever for a Brit.

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

The Brit's performed extremely well in the cycling at the last Olympics if I recall correctly. Congratulations. Was she Welsh?

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

David here is a link to the news from here.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/20...

David Gail "cyborg" wrote: "David here is a link to the news from here.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/20..."

No, she's English, but I don't hold that against her. And I see that the legend Jeannie Longo came fifth. Brilliant!

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

David you should adopt her as your own. We do that all the time. :D

David Gail "cyborg" wrote: "David you should adopt her as your own. We do that all the time. :D"

What would my wife say? Adopting strange women? No, I know what you mean. I'm now waiting to see what Mark Cavendish will do.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 28 29

unread topics | mark unread