ModCloth's Shelf Life discussion

Past Contests > What's your favorite banned book?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 79) (79 new)    post a comment »

ModCloth | 49 comments Mod
In honor of ALA's Banned Book Week later this month, we want to know, what's your favorite banned book?

If you leave a comment in this discussion by 11:59 p.m. EST on September 25, you’ll be entered to win a copy of October’s book of the month!

Jean Lolita, by Vladimir Nobokov or Brave New World, by Aldous Huxley.

Amanda (Lily154) | 5 comments Huck Finn. Why, why, why would anyone ban this amazing book?

rhea (zeldamac) | 11 comments Slaughterhouse-Five

Nicole (tumblenc) | 1 comments The Bermudez Triangle by Maureen Johnson

Mutz | 5 comments Harry Potter! what are parents afraid of? That their kids are going to enjoy reading?

I've heard it's even banned on some public libraries!

Like the wise Albus Dumbledore said "Fear of a name increases fear of the thing itself".

Annette England (AnnetteEnglandConway) | 2 comments My favorite banned book is The Chocolate War. I had just turned 13, and was able to get my first library card. The librarian saw me heading for the "kiddie" section and told me to follow her. I followed her to the "almost grownup" section and she picked up several books. She studied my face carefully, put Lord of the Flies, Slaughterhouse-Five, and The Catcher in the Rye. Left in her hand was The Chocolate War. I have to tell you, I thought it was about having a war with chocolate and wasn't like anything I expected or had ever read before. It scared me to death. Years later, it's still my favorite banned book.

Jessiqa | 2 comments Slaughterhouse -Five has already been mentioned, so I'll go with Catch-22. Both books show the banality of war-making better than anything else out there. Also they're dead funny.

Shannon (IandSsmom) | 5 comments Diary of Anne Frank, by Anne Frank. I think this is an important book that we are lucky to get to read. To see it from this girls prespective is amazing.

Shannon | 3 comments I love the Catcher in the Rye.

Alicia | 4 comments LOLITA !

Angie (vonsigg) | 2 comments Girl, Interrupted

Brianna Soloski (briannasoloski) Brave New World. It was such an odd book to me at the time, but so good.

Phaedra | 2 comments To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

message 15: by Ti (new)

Ti (pandorarevolt) | 11 comments Howl by Allen Ginsberg. My father is a fan of the Beat generation and thanks to him I've been able to read much of their literature, and Howl is such a strange and wild trip, I've read it many times and in each of those I've found new things that I hadn't seen before.

Jennifer (jkathryne0510) | 2 comments Hands down, The Giver. I've read it at least 10 times since it came out when I was in, fifth grade, I think, and I still have my original copy. Every negative utopia book I read, I compare to The Giver. Lois Lowry is one of the most incredible YA authors out there. Number the Stars and Giving Blue are incredible books as well.

Annie (lastnightswritings) The Perks of Being a Wallflower by American novelist Stephen Chbosky.

This book made me cry <3

Rachel | 3 comments I could sound smart and choose a classic...or an award winner...but I love me some Scary Stories to Read in the Dark. If you didn't read them as a kid, read them now!

Ashley | 3 comments I believe it is a bit of a tie between The Giver, A Wrinkle in Time, and Lord of the Flies. All are quite nostalgic for me, but if I had to choose one I think it would probably be The Giver. It amazes me how the concepts in that book are so complex, but the language is simple enough for very young readers to understand the underlying reasoning.

Mary (extraordi_mary) | 1 comments 1984 by George Orwell, by far. I love the symbolism, the idea of a dystopic society, and of course the forbidden romance! When I was assigned to read this book for class, I thought I would hate it, but it's honestly become my favorite book of all time now.

Natasha (natasha2marie) | 1 comments To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee. I remember my dad reading that book to me when I was very young, and laughing that Jem and Scout didn't know what snow was. Then I watched the movie and was terrified by certain scenes in the movie, and again, my dad was there to tell me that was all going to be ok.

It wasn't until high school that I finally read the book on my own. It is such a beautiful book, and so intricately woven into my childhood that how could I not love this book? My esteem for Harper Lee and her masterpiece increased, if possible, after reading "Mockingbird: a portrait of Harper Lee."

message 22: by Alison (last edited Sep 11, 2010 10:16AM) (new)

Alison Keiser (fraukeiser) | 1 comments For me, Forever by Judy Blume is a book I wish I'd read it in High School. Things would have been less complicated. It's a very well written book that is more real and down-to-earth than any other book about young love that I've ever read.

Meg | 1 comments Fahrenheit 451 is my favourite banned book. Mostly because the book is about the negative affects of not letting people read books haha.

McKenzie Whitesides (kenziejo) | 3 comments Mine was also Fahrenheit 451, it was an amazing book. I loved all the symbolism in it.

message 25: by Guen (last edited Sep 11, 2010 09:42AM) (new)

Guen | 6 comments Although there are plenty of adult books I love that have been banned, I feel like I should honor all the children books that have been banned that I love(d):

- Scary Stories by Alvin Schwartz
- Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling
- Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson
- Julie of the Wolves by Jean Craighead George
- Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor
- Goosebumps series by R.L. Stine
- The Great Gilly Hopkins by Katherine Paterson
- The Witches by Roald Dahl
- A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
- Blubber by Judy Blume
- Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes
- James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl
- A Light in the Attic by Shel Silverstein
- Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy Blume
- The Boy Who Lost His Face by Louis Sachar

And I haven't read this book because it was a bit out of my age range when published, but I love the idea of books for kids like And Tango Makes Three by Justin Richardson/Peter Parnell. And reading other comments, I realized that I missed out on The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier and The Giver by Lois Lowry... but it's never too late to fix that! :)

Arobbins | 2 comments One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey. I loved this book.

Dani Mercado (NonethelessDani) | 1 comments Catcher in The Rye is a must. It was difficult to think of it being banned while reading it, mainly because our society is based on that today. After all, it was great.

Samantha (SamHanson) | 4 comments It seems all good books get banned! My favorite might be The Great Gatsby, the writing style and story are so enchanting and beautiful.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

I know it has been said, but Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. This man and his prolific writing has dramatically changed my world!

Carissa | 1 comments Most of the great books are banned. The Harry Potter series is by far my favorite, no competition :)
Some others I love are Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury, The Lottery by Shirley Jackson, Animal Farm by George Orwell, The Giver by Lois Lowry, and Lord of the Flies by William Golding.
All of them are so wonderfully written and make powerful statements and warnings about society. The short story The Lottery was specifically very striking. It warns about the dangers of blindly following traditions simply because it is a custom.
To anyone who chose The Giver, I suggest reading more Lois Lowry books. Especially Gathering Blue and Messenger, they're continuations of the story line in The Giver and give some closure to the open ending :)

Jessica (TerrenceMerrywheather) | 2 comments All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque because it was banned in Nazi Germany for insulting the German army. Or maybe Dr. Zhivago for insulting the Bolshevik party, or The Diary of Anne Frank, or Lolita. OOHHH it's so hard to choose! My real favorite is probably Candide because I am a HUGE Voltaire fan. But, I think, for now, I will say Fight Club. Chuck Palahniuk is probably my favorite author, and this is one of my favorite books of his, or of anyone's.

Molly Miltenberger Murray (mollymiltmurray) | 3 comments to kill a mockingbird. #1. poignant and true.
1984. #2. for adults.
the bible. great literature for all ages.

Leire (leirebarrera) | 3 comments Brave New World, by Aldous Huxley, it was banned in Ireland in 1932, due to alleged references of sexual promiscuity... but it is such an amazing book!

Patti Kovach | 2 comments It's hard to believe so many amazing works have been banned. I would have to say one of my favorites (among many many others) is The Absolutely True Story of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie (banned from a high school). A stellar book, and one of my top 5 favorite authors (any of his would be great to read for book club!!!).

Becca (enroutetocamelot) | 3 comments Definitely the entire Harry Potter series, which many people have tried (mostly unsuccessfully) to ban, and has actually been banned in some schools.

Ashley (Akaleistar) | 4 comments I liked reading Slaughterhouse-Five.

Michelle | 1 comments Animal Farm. this book is a great example of communism, this book helped so many people realize what was happening in their government. i loved it!

Kelly | 1 comments of mice and men. or catcher in the rye. both phenomenal!

Stefanie | 1 comments The Harry Potter Series. Though I know it's not one of the many well-loved classics that I enjoy, the series definitely keeps my imagination alive as I get older and helped me get through any of those little rough patches that we all go through as kids. I'll be passing on my copies to any kids I'll have when I get older :D

Katie | 1 comments The Harry Potter series. Those are flat out some of the best books I have ever read! It really is a shame that so much literature is considered "bad" by some people.

Annettemelissa (annettelovesbooks) | 2 comments To Kill a Mockingbird, such a beautiful book, great themes, always makes me stop and think, which I love in a book.

Neverdust | 9 comments My favorite banned book and one of my favorite books of all time as well is As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner. It's so sad and poetic... And I love the looks on the faces of those who know me when I tell them I love this book; I'm primarily a Fantasy and SciFi reader, and apparently Southern Gothic doesn't sufficiently fit into their idea of something I would enjoy. Love defying expectations.

Lindsay | 3 comments There are so many amazing books that have been banned or challenged, but I think my favorite is To Kill a Mockingbird.

Harmony | 2 comments One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey
Such a good book! Why would it get banned. ):

Harmony | 2 comments Daddy's Roommate by Michael Willhoite

Lauren Kilmer (LauRama) | 4 comments The Tin Drum by Gunter Grass.
Amazing book, mediocre movie............

Lauren Kilmer (LauRama) | 4 comments Patti wrote: "It's hard to believe so many amazing works have been banned. I would have to say one of my favorites (among many many others) is The Absolutely True Story of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie (b..."

I too, love Sherman Alexie, but did not know any of his books were banned! I had the awesome opportunity ot see him speak at my alma mater in Spokane, WA.

Lauren Kilmer (LauRama) | 4 comments Lauren wrote: "The Tin Drum by Gunter Grass.
Amazing book, mediocre movie............"

My favorite two books of all time happen to fall in the banned category as well; Lolita (1), and Brave New World (2).

Angela (angelaspacecat) | 1 comments Huck Finn!

Lauren (laureneliz) | 1 comments Fahrenheit 451 and Catcher in the Rye are two of my favorites.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Great Gatsby (other topics)
As I Lay Dying (other topics)