Lesbian Book Club discussion

General > Favorite Lesbian book author

Comments (showing 1-50 of 178) (178 new)    post a comment »

Marie Logan | 69 comments Okay, there doesn't seem to be too much activity here. Can we get some discussion started? Like favorite author? Radclyffe, she has enough books out. J. M. Redmann, love her New Orleans mysteries. Nicola Griffith, can you find a stronger character than Aud? Karen Kallmaker, haven't read many of her books but she's got them out there. Meghan O'Brien, again, haven't read all of her but heard that her love scenes are first rate, the best. So what have you others read? Who do you follow? What turns you on?

Donna | 3 comments Malinda Lo is a fantastic author. I also like Karen Kallmaker and Sarah Waters.
What's your favorite book?

Marie Logan | 69 comments I've not heard of Malinda Lo. What does she write? Who does she publish with? I think I like Nicola Griffith with her Aud series best. I've only read one of Sarah Waters. While I found her interesting and good period writing, she really didn't grab me. And Karen's is a good read but I love how Griffith describes places and people.

Donna | 3 comments I've never read Nicola Griffith. Please tell me more about her and about her books. =)
Malinda Lo has published only one book so far: It's a retelling of Cinderella with a lesbian twist. If you're interested in learning more about her or about the book, here's her website: www.malindalo.com

Marie Logan | 69 comments I'll look Malinda Lo up. She wouldn't be the only one re-telling fairy tails so it'll be interesting.
Griffith's first book about Aud is The Blue Place and Aud is, well, here's the blurb describing her: A police lieutenant with the elite "Red Dogs" until she retired at 29, Aud is a rangy six footer with eyes the color of cement and a tendency to hurt people who get in her way. Born in Norway into the failed marriage between a Scandinavian diplomat and an American businessman, she now makes Atlanta (GA) her home. She glides easily between the world of silken elegance and that of slease and sudden savagery, equally at home in both; functional, deadly, and temporarily quiescent, like a folder razor.
There are three in the series, Stay, being the second and Always being the third. There are two other non-related books, science fiction. They are not bright and cheerful books but I found them intense and compelling. Her website is nicolagriffith.com

message 6: by Donna (last edited Sep 08, 2010 02:23PM) (new)

Donna | 3 comments Thank you for the information.
No, Malindo Lo isn't the only one retelling fairy tales, but I did like how she mixed Celtic faerie legends in, and how in her book, there is no "closet" to come out of: everyone's sexuality is simply accepted.

Becko | 15 comments Right now Gerri Hill is my fave and I think she just came out with a new book. Radclyffe writes the best love scenes and she has 2 books of short stories alternately written with Karin Kallmaker.

message 8: by e (new)

e b | 3 comments I'd have to chime in for Sarah Waters and would recommend Affinity and Fingersmith. Fantastic story twists in both.

I tried to read A Blue Place by Nicola Griffith but couldn't make it to page 100. The hard, boiled detective tone ala Mickey Spillane or Robert Parker just doesn't do it for me.

Marie Logan | 69 comments I agree that Aud is hardboiled in A Blue Place. One of the attractions was to see how she changes, by the end of A Blue Place and through the subsequent books. But then everyone's taste is different.

message 10: by e (new)

e b | 3 comments Certainly. If we all enjoyed the exact same experiences what a dull world it would be. So, cool that you've enjoyed her books.

Ashley (RogueAviatrix) | 2 comments For me a favorite is difficult to pick, but one I have read recently is Stranded by Blayne Cooper. I will admit it is a bit cheesy but I love the two main characters and how they interact with each other. It's just a simple fun read.

Heather | 3 comments Radclyffe is amazing as is Gerri Hill but the first lesbian book I ever read was written by KG MacGregor (Sumter Point) and I fell in love. All three are awesome. I also agree with the comments about Meghan O'Brien does some first rate loves scenes just read her book thirteen hours.

message 13: by R.E. (last edited Dec 02, 2010 10:45PM) (new)

R.E. Bradshaw (rebradshaw) | 18 comments my wife walked away from the computer and left this screen up. I want to add her as my favorite lesbian fiction writer. She finally bit the bullet and self-published 4 novels. They have performed quite well. I am proud of her and I really do like the books. Not just because she's my wife, but I really do think she has some talent. Read a book and see for yourself. I bet she never leaves a page like this open again.

Deb (her biggest fan)

Here's her info:
R. E. Bradshaw
OUT ON THE SOUND
SWEET CAROLINA GIRLS
RAINEY DAYS
THE GIRL BACK HOME
www.rebradshawbooks.com
rebradshawbooks@gmail.com

R.E. Bradshaw (rebradshaw) | 18 comments She's right, I won't leave the screen up next time, but that was sweet. Or maybe, she just wants me to make my car payment on time. LOL
R.

Marie Logan | 69 comments Another area for reviews submitted by many individuals is the Yahoo group lesfic_unbound. Reviews and sneak peeks are posted so you can get the feel for the book. Because the group is large and any group member can submit a review, there are a variety of tastes and sometimes reviews by different people on the same book which gives you a difference of opinion. You might enjoy checking it out.

Kathleen (Kathleen129) Here are some good lesbian authors:
Lucy Jane Bledsoe
Carol Anshaw
Val McDermid
Jeanette Winterson
Dionne Brand
Jackie Kay
VG Lee

Milly Becko wrote: "Right now Gerri Hill is my fave and I think she just came out with a new book. Radclyffe writes the best love scenes and she has 2 books of short stories alternately written with Karin Kallmaker."

hey Becko :) ive read some of Gerri's book and im definitely a fan. im currently reading Love Waits, and so far im in love :) cant wait to see how the story ends

Milly hey everyone :) my Fav. author has to be Julie Anne Peters. I truly admire her work and realness in all of her books. Shes an incredible writer. im also a fan of Gerri Hill, Diane Salvatore .

Kathleen (Kathleen129) Let me know what you think of them.

Becko | 15 comments got gerri hill's Love Waits for christmas and read it in one day - terrific story

Milly hi becko :) im loving it! almost done.

Kathleen (Kathleen129) Say more about what you mean by "strong characters".

R.E. Bradshaw (rebradshaw) | 18 comments Thank you, Andi, for the positive feedback.
R. E. Bradshaw
OUT ON THE SOUND
SWEET CAROLINA GIRLS
RAINEY DAYS
THE GIRL BACK HOME
www.rebradshawbooks.com
rebradshawbooks@gmail.com

Kathleen (Kathleen129) Andi wrote: "Kate isn't self-absorbed, cocky, angry, full of self-pity, and totally unable to connect with herself"

Andi, we probably do not have a meeting of the minds here. I am a reluctant member of the 'self-absorbed, cocky, angry, full of self-pity, and totally unable to connect with herself' community, and I am at least as interested in a character's struggles with herself as her struggles with external forces.

On the plus side, I do like to read.

That said, I will think on the possible overlap in our tastes in "strong": a deeply flawed yet likeable character who successfully struggles with both her own flaws and the outside world? :)

Kathleen

Sofia Antonia Milone (FiaMilone) I love strong characters, bitchy ones in particular, provided they have a journey that's believable. I thought Aud in The Blue Place was hot at the time, though I'm not sure what I'd think now reading it again twelve years later.

I always seem to write a hard-nosed character into a plot somehow :)

I started writing precisely because, as someone mentioned earlier in this thread, I was sick of reading coming out stories. I like stories that don't feel the need to state, never mind discuss a character's sexuality. Not that there isn't occasionally need, or reason, but that it's nice to feel normal and read about lesbians as though they were any other character in any other book. They just happen to like women, and all the trouble that can bring with it.

Sofia

Kathleen (Kathleen129) OK: here are some books with strong lesbian characters, who may be likeable--

1. Non-Genre Fiction (i.e., not mystery, SF, romance):

Big Bang Symphony--Lucy Jane Bledsoe

People in Trouble; After Delores--both by Sarah Schulman

Most anything by Emma Donoghue. Her most recent book "Room" is terrific, although not explicitly lesbian. I would love to discuss if there's a "lesbian sensibility" and, if so, how it shows up in this book.

Bird Eyes--Madelyn Arnold

What we all long for--Dionne Brand

A Compass Error--Sybille Bedford (great book but relatively low likeability)

Disobedience--Naomi Alderman

Stone Butch Blues--Leslie Feinberg

Mysteries:

books by Kate Allen, Elizabeth Sims

Mary Ayres (seattlemary) | 6 comments Thanks Kathleen. Your non genre choices look excellent and include women I don't know (as well as one's I do.) I'm in a lesbian book group and we are always looking for non-genre books that will engender good discussions. It's hard to find with lesbian characters - this month we just did The Help and will soon do The Book Thief. The Help was great for discussion and i think the Book Thief will be as well.

Kathleen (Kathleen129) Mary--What has your group read and liked?

Mary Ayres (seattlemary) | 6 comments It doesn't have a lesbian character as far as I remember. That's what I was saying. The most important thing is getting really good discussions going and we are having trouble finding books that lead to a good discussion with a lesbian character. Unfortunately an enjoyable read does not necessarily make for good discussion. Many genre novels don't work, although we have read Octavia Butler's last novel which includes omni-sexuality.

Grace Okay. Favorite lesbian writers.

1)Karin Kallmaker--She is the best. I love everything that she writes.
2) Kathrine V. Forrest
3)Clarie McNab
4)Linda Hill
5)Jackie Calhoun

I would have to say that those are my top picks. I have many others that I read, but those 5 women own most of the room on my bookshelf. Karin Kallmaker has a row of her own. Kathrine V. Forrest has half a row. Clarie McNab is getting there.

Marie Logan | 69 comments I am so glad I asked the proper question to get a discussion going! Thanks so much for your contributions.

That being said, and the fact this thread is still going, I'll add some more.

Nicola Griffith has two other books w/o the hard boiled character of Aud: Slow River which was a Lambda Literary Award Winner. It extrapolates changes in biology, computers, and drugs in the day-after-tomorrow idea. It's also a book that might lend to discussion in a book club setting as it discusses an idea of the future. Her other one is Ammonite, winner of Lambda and Tiptree awards. It questions gender and humanity as humanity settles on another world. It also may lend to discussion in a book club setting. I know those discussions are sometimes hard to get started.

For mystery solved by the PI w/a degree in philosophy, a flawed character trying hard to change, two steps forward, one step back, try Micky Knight series by J. M. Redmann. They are all set in New Orleans. There are four books out, I think. The last one is Watermark and you can read a blurb of it on Redmann's website.

I love getting all these recommendations and discussions and knowing that we're keeping this thread going!

Angela | 1 comments My favorite books so far belong to author Catherine M. Wilson who wrote the series "When Women Were Warriors." I really enjoyed these books and even passed them around to friends and family.

Marie Logan | 69 comments I've just picked up the first book of the Devil series, the Devil Inside by Ali Vali. Any one read it? Comments? Set in New Orleans. Strong characters.

Barrett (Barrett-Writer) | 8 comments Mel wrote: "I'll look Malinda Lo up. She wouldn't be the only one re-telling fairy tails so it'll be interesting.
Griffith's first book about Aud is The Blue Place and Aud is, well, here's the blurb d..."

I agree, "folded razor" indeed! I think Nicola Griffith possesses an extraordinary gift as a writer. Her work is amazing.

Albert | 2 comments anyone read Louise Routh's On Another Level? can anyone make recommendations for similar books?

Ren (RenStark) | 1 comments Favorite Lesbian writers in order :D
-Gerri Hill
-Radclyffe
-Malinda Lo
- Melissa Good ( started out as a XWP fic writer, great skills)
- Julie Anne Peters

Currently trying to get into Karin Kallmaker, slow going though..... though it might help if I stop obsessively reading fanfiction :/

Mars Williams | 3 comments Mel wrote: "Okay, there doesn't seem to be too much activity here. Can we get some discussion started? Like favorite author? Radclyffe, she has enough books out. J. M. Redmann, love her New Orleans mysteri..."

Mars Williams | 3 comments Hi there, I am new to the group.

I have really enjoyed Radclyffe's work. My favorite is the Honor series, but with the exception of maybe 4 or 5 of her books she is usually wonderful. I have also enjoyed Ali Vali's Devil series.

In the young adult genre I have recently read Malindo Lo. I hope she keeps producing, I love what I have read so far.

Talk again soon.

Marie Logan | 69 comments I have just discovered Ali Vali. She certainly has created a compelling character in Cain Casey. If all her books are like the Devil series, I will have to start tracking them down to put on my romantic thriller shelf!

Marie Logan | 69 comments I have just returned from the Golden Crown Literary Society, an organization for lesbian writers, readers, and publishers. One if the books I'd like to recommend is Eyes On the Stars, by Lynne Ames. It was a winner in Historical Fiction as it covers two women who meet in the WASP - Women Airforce Service Pilots in World War II. Historically accurate, it covers a period of time when two women in lover were not acceptable. It is published by Phoenix Rising Press.

LVLMLeah | 5 comments Mel wrote:"...One if the books I'd like to recommend is Eyes On the Stars, by Lynne Ame..."

This book definitely looks interesting to me. I love stories from this time.

I don't know if you read erotica, but an anthology Liptick on Her Collar has several stories in it like this. One particularly from WWI, Vietnam war and WWII. I love the feel of these time periods, although maybe not so much the Vietnam war.

Lipstick on Her Collar and Other Tales of Lesbian Lust

Barrett (Barrett-Writer) | 8 comments Mel wrote: "I have just returned from the Golden Crown Literary Society, an organization for lesbian writers, readers, and publishers. One if the books I'd like to recommend is Eyes On the Stars, by Lynne Ame..."

Hi Mel,
I just returned from GCLS, as well. I don't recognize the name. Which Mel are you?
jeanne

Becko | 15 comments Mel wrote: "I have just returned from the Golden Crown Literary Society, an organization for lesbian writers, readers, and publishers. One if the books I'd like to recommend is Eyes On the Stars, by Lynne Ame..."
thanks for the suggestion - I love historical fiction especially with lesbian characters

Sarah Glenn | 7 comments Oh, MORE people who attended GCLS! I'm the crazy one from Karaoke Night, if you don't recognize the name.

My wife, Gwen Mayo, writes historical fiction you might like, Mel. Naturally, SHE is my favorite lesbian author.
:)

Barrett (Barrett-Writer) | 8 comments Sarah wrote: "Oh, MORE people who attended GCLS! I'm the crazy one from Karaoke Night, if you don't recognize the name.

My wife, Gwen Mayo, writes historical fiction you might like, Mel. Naturally, SHE is my fa..."

Hi Sarah--fellow GCLS-er,
We met Day One at the Lesfic_unbound table set up. Good to see a familiar face.
Barrett

R.E. Bradshaw (rebradshaw) | 18 comments Waking up Gray
Waking Up Gray has been the Best Selling Lesbian Fiction novel on Amazon.com since April. Lots of positive reviews. Check it out.

Becko | 15 comments Malinda Lo wonderful fantasy, teen stories. Even though they are targeted at teens Ash and Huntress by Lo are intriguing and pull you in.

Snott | 15 comments One author I havent seen listed on here is Kelley Eskridge. I highly recommend her book 'Solitaire'. She happens to be Nicola Griffiths' partner.
Here's the GoodReads link:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21...

Mars Williams | 3 comments I finally got a copy of Brenda Adcock's The Sea Hawk. I read it in 1 sitting. It's always nice when a time travel book is well written, historical,suspenseful and romantic. Lots of fun.

Kelly | 7 comments "Wildthorn" by Jane Eagland was wonderful. It's a teen historical novel about a girl put into a madhouse because she wants to become a doctor and has "unnatural desires" towards women.

« previous 1 3 4

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Lipstick On Her Collar And Other Tales Of Lesbian Lust (other topics)
Waking Up Gray (other topics)
Before It Stains (other topics)
The River Within (other topics)
Rose's Will (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Karin Kallmaker (other topics)
Tanya Huff (other topics)