Aussie Readers discussion

Introductions > Chat about whatever you like: the weather, good stuff, bad stuff, family, politics or pets!

Comments (showing 16845-16894)    post a comment »

message 16894: by Sally906, Eclectic Reader (new)

Sally906 | 1802 comments Mod
Michael wrote: "I would not trust any site that makes claims like that Sally. Basically if people wan't to track you they can regardless of what encryption techniques are used."

I don't have a problem with privacy really. I don't do anything to be ashamed of on the internet and if Google wants to see what I get up to,they are going to be pretty board of they aren't book lovers :)

message 16893: by Brenda, Lightning fingers! (new)

Brenda | 26072 comments Mod
I'm not going to do the update on our iPad!

message 16892: by Michael, Captain Everything:) (new)

Michael (MichaelSwensson) | 6793 comments Mod
Wow in my view you should not have to do that Valerie. I have a Android device and all i am hearing about the IOS one is do i really wan't the update when it hits my phone.

message 16891: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (Nicehotcupoftea) | 236 comments Ah ha! In case anyone had the same issue as me with notifications and badges for the iPhone app, I solved the problem via the trusted old technique of deleting and reinstalling the app.

message 16890: by Michael, Captain Everything:) (last edited Sep 28, 2014 03:50AM) (new)

I would not trust any site that makes claims like that Sally. Basically if people wan't to track you they can regardless of what encryption techniques are used.

message 16889: by Sally906, Eclectic Reader (new)

I have been trying this search engine - https://duckduckgo.com

Is supposed not to track you if you have issues over privacy. Here is a link to 12 reasons why DuckDuckGo is better than google: http://gadgets.ndtv.com/internet/feat...

Bette BookAddict (BetteBookAddict) | 1678 comments Liam wrote: "September 27th; a day which will live in infamy.

On this date in 1998 Google Search Engine was launched."

Can any of us imagine life without Google now? I ♥ Google:)

message 16887: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 1127 comments No, I don't think you are, Sally. I have to say, when I read these articles, I wondered whether the authors were actually GR app users or were just quoting some propaganda from the designers...!

message 16886: by Sally906, Eclectic Reader (new)

Michael wrote: "A little bit of info for the IOS GR app.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/26/go...

http://techcrunch.com/2014/09/25/amaz..."

Seems to be favourable. I must be the only one that hates the new home page on the app.

message 16885: by Liam (new)

Liam (Madbird) | 1451 comments September 27th; a day which will live in infamy.

On this date in 1998 Google Search Engine was launched.

message 16884: by Liam (new)

Liam (Madbird) | 1451 comments Watching The Chosen Ones, Channel 7 doco about AFL coaches - really good if you get a chance to see it.

message 16883: by Michael, Captain Everything:) (last edited Sep 26, 2014 04:54AM) (new)

message 16882: by Michael, Captain Everything:) (new)

Always glad to be of assistance Suzanne. :D

message 16881: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 232 comments Michael wrote: "Forgot to mention for anyone who is interested that i seen The Rosie Effect today in Big W for only 16 bucks. :)"

Uh oh I only just saw this message, thanks Michael, this is just the type of message that helps people like me!!!'

Marianne (CloggieDownunder) | 1306 comments Faye wrote: "Brenda wrote: "Faye wrote: "One of you lovely ladies on here goes on the treadmill regularly, who is it please I have a question..Thanks Faye"

It's Marianne, Faye:)"

Ah thank you. So Marianne I a..."

Faye, I will PM you.

message 16879: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Robards (SharonRobards) | 359 comments Faye wrote: "Oh don't worry I am not far behind you with my first one most likely leaving next year...bit scared I am!"

Yeah, it is odd, the having someone else doing a lot of the advising, not that she listened a great deal to me or her father anyway LOL

message 16878: by Dale (new)

Dale Harcombe | 1490 comments C.A. wrote: "Love this time of year! I'm researching my new book, a lot of reading about the Victorian era, sitting in my recliner next to the lounge room window which looks out onto the garden, and every time ..."

Sounds lovely,C.A.

message 16877: by Brenda, Lightning fingers! (new)

C.A. wrote: "Love this time of year! I'm researching my new book, a lot of reading about the Victorian era, sitting in my recliner next to the lounge room window which looks out onto the garden, and every time ..."

Spring is a perfect time for colour in everyone's gardens, bird noises everywhere...

message 16876: by C.A. (new)

C.A. Hocking (cahocking) | 32 comments Love this time of year! I'm researching my new book, a lot of reading about the Victorian era, sitting in my recliner next to the lounge room window which looks out onto the garden, and every time I look up, something new has appeared. So far today - two new Volunteer Camellia flowers, leaves on the red Japanese Maple, the first pink weeping cherry flower, at least a dozen petunia flowers, several geranium flowers - none of which were there this morning! Might just stay put for the rest of the day watching my garden stretch, expand and blossom. Bliss.

message 16875: by Faye (new)

Faye (lastchapter) | 242 comments Brenda wrote: "Faye wrote: "One of you lovely ladies on here goes on the treadmill regularly, who is it please I have a question..Thanks Faye"

It's Marianne, Faye:)"

Ah thank you. So Marianne I am using my treadmill, but do you have any tips for me I am doing an hour in the morning just at 6 walking not running (knee no good from running injury years ago), want to lose some weight (plus get fit) any tips, how long do you walk run for etc?? If you can motivate me please do

Cheers

message 16874: by Brenda, Lightning fingers! (new)

Faye wrote: "One of you lovely ladies on here goes on the treadmill regularly, who is it please I have a question..Thanks Faye"

It's Marianne, Faye:)

message 16873: by Faye (new)

Faye (lastchapter) | 242 comments One of you lovely ladies on here goes on the treadmill regularly, who is it please I have a question..Thanks Faye

message 16872: by Faye (new)

Faye (lastchapter) | 242 comments Sharon wrote: "Brenda wrote: "You'll enjoy the quiet once you get used to it Sharon:) I hope your daughter settles in well...has she gone for uni? "

No, just wanted to leave the town....it's that story every thi..."

Oh don't worry I am not far behind you with my first one most likely leaving next year...bit scared I am!

message 16871: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Robards (SharonRobards) | 359 comments Brenda wrote: "You'll enjoy the quiet once you get used to it Sharon:) I hope your daughter settles in well...has she gone for uni? "

No, just wanted to leave the town....it's that story every thing seems greener elsewhere LOL

message 16870: by Sharon (last edited Sep 25, 2014 02:11PM) (new)

Sharon Robards (SharonRobards) | 359 comments "Sharon wrote: "We had our 17 year old daughter leave home on Monday to go and live with an aunty and uncle at Inverell and the quietn...

Is she your last fledgling to leave the nest Sharon? It must be hard to get used to not having her around.
I'm not looking to the day (not too far away) when my two leave. Although I do look forward to a tidy house, I'll definitely miss the noise and the regular chats. "

She is my our only one.

message 16869: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (Nicehotcupoftea) | 236 comments Morning Leonie! I think they're all fast asleep. I wake up way too early these days for some reason.

message 16868: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (LeonieRogers) | 747 comments Morning early people! Or am I first this morning at 6.35am? That doesn't seem right.

Bette BookAddict (BetteBookAddict) | 1678 comments Lots of us travel, do the tourist things, maybe take kids or g-kids to a show that feature the final result of this. link: https://interact.worldanimalprotectio....

message 16866: by Michael, Captain Everything:) (new)

Forgot to mention for anyone who is interested that i seen The Rosie Effect today in Big W for only 16 bucks. :)

message 16865: by Brenda, Lightning fingers! (new)

They always seem to have bugs Leonie! Don't know why they can't fix them, and they STAY fixed!

message 16864: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (LeonieRogers) | 747 comments Just realised that all my group updates have fallen off again. Wonder why Goodreads does this intermittently. Now I have so much to catch up on....sigh.

message 16863: by Brenda, Lightning fingers! (new)

Liam wrote: "Hey at least you have GR on your phone - Windows Phone doesn't have a Goodreads app yet :("

I'm not worried about an app with all the problems others seem to have...I can access via emails and link books, reply to comments etc just like I can on the laptop!

message 16862: by Brenda, Lightning fingers! (new)

Liam wrote: "I think I'm gonna get myself a new bookcase or two... I'm thoroughly out of room.

Also I love this video. Animals are amazing."

I need more bookcases Liam, but I have nowhere to put the bookcases! lol

Thanks for sharing the video...they're so clever:)

message 16861: by Brenda, Lightning fingers! (new)

Haha! Once again the new iPhone is no good;P

message 16860: by Brenda, Lightning fingers! (new)

Sharon wrote: "Ah, I wonder how many people had a Benji and a homework thief?

We had our 17 year old daughter leave home on Monday to go and live with an aunty and uncle at Inverell.The quietness is really odd, ..."

You'll enjoy the quiet once you get used to it Sharon:) I hope your daughter settles in well...has she gone for uni?

message 16859: by Liam (new)

Liam (Madbird) | 1451 comments Nah. :P

message 16858: by Michael, Captain Everything:) (new)

Liam wrote: "Hey at least you have GR on your phone - Windows Phone doesn't have a Goodreads app yet :("

Sounds like you need a new phone Liam.

message 16857: by Sally906, Eclectic Reader (new)

Valerie wrote: "And I don't want everyone else's stuff on my home screen!!"

I know what you mean. I like the old one were you had a lot of icons and just clicked on what you want. Now I see only the comments made by all my friends. Have to click on more to go to groups etc. getting to progress is nigh on impossible use to be on my home page. Now I have to click on 'my books' and the current reads are up the top. Took a while to find it.
I guess I'll get use to it but shouldn't just make changes without warning

message 16856: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 640 comments Sharon wrote: "Sharon wrote: "We had our 17 year old daughter leave home on Monday to go and live with an aunty and uncle at Inverell and the quietn...

Suzanne wrote: "It's funny that you mentioned the tidy hous..."

Is she your last fledgling to leave the nest Sharon? It must be hard to get used to not having her around.
I'm not looking to the day (not too far away) when my two leave. Although I do look forward to a tidy house, I'll definitely miss the noise and the regular chats.

message 16855: by Faye (new)

Faye (lastchapter) | 242 comments Zoey wrote: "Faye wrote: "Suzanne wrote: "Faye wrote: "Do you know what, read what you like you only have to keep yourself happy! There are books I have not read (yet) because there has been too much hype aroun..."
LOL that is funny

message 16854: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Robards (SharonRobards) | 359 comments Sharon wrote: "We had our 17 year old daughter leave home on Monday to go and live with an aunty and uncle at Inverell and the quietn...

Suzanne wrote: "It's funny that you mentioned the tidy house, but I'd like that too ;) I hope you don't miss her too much and that she settles into her new environment."

I have been missing her, but am trying to slap it out of me LOL

message 16853: by Liam (new)

Liam (Madbird) | 1451 comments Hey at least you have GR on your phone - Windows Phone doesn't have a Goodreads app yet :(

message 16852: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 1127 comments And again on the new update - I've just realised that I can't turn my phone to a landscape position and have GR turn around as well. Now that is quite frustrating... Oh well, first-world problems, right?!

message 16851: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (Nicehotcupoftea) | 236 comments Sharon wrote: "Valerie wrote: "And now my notifications won't load and my app badge has gone!"

Valerie I had the same problem. I had to go into my my settings on my device (iPad) and reset it in the the notifica..."

Yes, I tried that Sharon, but no luck. But I have this issue with many apps, so probably just an ipod peculiarity!

message 16850: by Liam (last edited Sep 24, 2014 09:41PM) (new)

Liam (Madbird) | 1451 comments I think I'm gonna get myself a new bookcase or two... I'm thoroughly out of room.

Also I love this video. Animals are amazing.

message 16849: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 1704 comments Valerie wrote: "And now my notifications won't load and my app badge has gone!"

Valerie I had the same problem. I had to go into my my settings on my device (iPad) and reset it in the the notifications to Banners or Alerts.

message 16848: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 1127 comments Valerie wrote: "Yes I spoke too soon Kathryn! I used to have a badge on the app icon that showed how many new updates there were to topics I was following. The home screen just seems a bit weird - it doesn't real..."

Oh, I see - I don't recall having anything on my GR app icon that showed me how many notifications I had - they didn't show until I opened it up. And they still show then for me - down in the bottom right-hand corner.

And the linking books and replying directly to comments are the things I would most welcome. But as I said, I don't bother with the app most of the time anyway now that I have an iPad - I was probably using the app on my phone more before that, but now it's easier to grab the iPad and use the web browser when I'm at home.

Never mind, maybe those features will come out in the next update... And meanwhile, I'm sure we'll get used to the new app look.

message 16847: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (Nicehotcupoftea) | 236 comments Yes I spoke too soon Kathryn! I used to have a badge on the app icon that showed how many new updates there were to topics I was following. The home screen just seems a bit weird - it doesn't really feel like home! And still no ability to link books or reply to comments directly grrr

message 16846: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 1127 comments Valerie wrote: "And I don't want everyone else's stuff on my home screen!!"

Now, what were you saying last night about the update being nice, Valerie!!

What do you mean by the app "badge"? And what did you have on your home screen last night, if it wasn't everyone's comments? It's kind of just like home screen when you open it in the web browser...

message 16845: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (Nicehotcupoftea) | 236 comments And I don't want everyone else's stuff on my home screen!!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 337 338