Young Adult Book Club discussion

This topic is about Coraline
Coraline > Coraline's reaction to her parents' disappearance

Comments (showing 1-6 of 6) (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Elizabeth (elizabethoverton) | 15 comments I thought Coraline's reaction to her parents' disappearance was interesting, in that she seems almost unaffected at first until she breaks down and cries.

Why would she react this way? Do you find her behavior realistic or unrealistic for a child, and why?

Ms. Hicks | 25 comments I thought this was really strange too. It may have been that in the back of her mind she knew that something was wrong and she wasn't ready to admit it.

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) My copy is already back at the library and I had a different take on it than most; I'm assuming I was off. But: I thought that she was used to a certain level of neglect so their disappearance wasn't all that different from when they were present.

Lauren (Laza) | 7 comments Lisa, I think you are probably right. Coraline seemed to endure a certain level of neglect, so, although her parents being missing for a short time was odd, it was not until she accepted that the disappearance was not of their own doing that she became upset. It seems that this may not have been the first time she had been left alone, she knew how to take care of herself without her parent's help.

Maggie Stiefvater (maggie_stiefvater) I agree with Lisa -- she was independent, and bored to boot. So at first it wasn't odd and then it was a puzzle. Something to do.

And as a character in general she never showed extreme emotion, so the sudden breaking down and crying after repressing everything . . . that made sense to me. Maybe because I was a wary, independent child like Coraline too!

J-Lynn (JVanPelt) | 43 comments I thought Coraline's character was generally emotionally detached. So, I didn't find her reaction to her parents' disappearance at all surprising. I read this as a very formal, British story--not a lot of emotion all around, not even fear. The Fear comes on the part of the reader.

unread topics | mark unread