SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

Team Challenge: BookShelf Bingo > BookShelf BINGO: FAQ

Comments (showing 1-50 of 185) (185 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (last edited Jul 22, 2015 01:25PM) (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 19775 comments I'll be posting all questions and answers here, but if you have a question and don't see it listed, just ask. :) There are no stupid questions!

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆

Q: How does a team win (IE: What qualifies as BINGO)?
A: The first team to have 5 shelves in a row - horizontally, vertically or diagonally - wins!

If a shelf is announced that gives more than one team BINGO, the first team to request their winning stamp (making 5 stamped shelves in a row) wins!

Q: Are re-reads allowed?
A: Re-reads are not preferred, but are allowed.

ETA: However, if you re-read a book, you may only use that re-read for ONE shelf per game. (IE: You are re-reading Nalini's Psy-Changelings books for the challenge. You want to use book #3 for the 'paranormal-romance' shelf. That is okay. But, you cannot re-read the book AGAIN for the 'favorite-series' shelf.)

Q: Can we choose any book on the shelf? Are we limited to the first x number of pages?
A: Yes. Any book listed on the shelf that is posted each week will be allowed. There is no limit on which page # (of the shelf list) books must be found.

ETA: Some books are tagged incorrectly (IE: "Visions of Heat" is found on the VAMPIRES shelf, but there are no vampires in the book.) however, if it is found on the shelf (appropriately tagged or not) it is acceptable.

Books, no matter the shelf, must be 200+ pages. Graphic novels are not allowed.

Q: Do all the books have to be part of a series?
A: Since our group focus is on PNR & UF series reads, I'd prefer to keep it to books of that nature, but it's not a requirement.

Q: You said you'll post the tags (shelves) each week, but does that mean the book has to be read THAT week?
A: (Revised) No. There is no time limit. However, teams will only receive a shelf stamp once all team members have read, rated and reviewed their book for the shelf. The longer you take to read, the longer your team goes without a stamp.

Q: On the Shelf announcement page, you said, "In order to get credit for the FREE SPACE each team member must read one book from one of the following:..." Do we all have to read the same one, or can we all choose a different thing? (One teammate read BOM, one read something on the shelves, etc...)
A: No, everyone can pick a different option. As long as each team member chooses a book from one of those 3 options listed.

Q: Can we read the book for the free space at anytime?
A:Yes. Your FREE SPACE book can be read the day the game starts. Members can wait, if they choose, but remember all team members must read a FREE SPACE book before the team can get that stamp.

Please be sure to state that the book was read for free space credit. Also include which of the three options you used to choose the book.

Q: Where do we post our reviews when we are done reading our book? Just in our team thread?
A: Yes. Do not link to your review. Post the review on your team thread. You may include a link to review in addition, if you'd like. Be sure to include the shelf name, book title, date read, 1-5 rating, and review.

Q: Are challenge reads allowed?
A: YES! If the book is found on the shelf, it is allowed, even if you are already reading the book for another challenge (even if the challenge is for another group).

Q: I started reading my book on Saturday, but found it on the shelf you called on Sunday. Can I use that book?
A: No. Only books found on the shelf AND started AFTER the shelf was announced will be allowed.

Q: Are audiobooks allowed?
A: Yes. There is no time limit, so members may use audiobooks if they wish.

Q: The shelf named is 'vampires'. Can I read any book with vampires in it?
A: No. Only books found on the shelf linked in the shelf announcement are allowed. If the shelf announced does not have a link (IE: Special/Personal shelves), I will let you know. In that case, any book (over 200 pgs) that fits the category announced is allowed.

Q: Is it preferred to link the main shelf list when you're requesting a stamp or to make weekly posts that you link? Or perhaps it doesn't matter?
A: Actually, it doesn't matter either way, Vilda. The important thing, at least to me, is that whichever link you include in your stamp requests takes us directly to the post that holds each member's choice, rating, and review link for that specific shelf so we can verify before stamping.

Some captains create a new post for each shelf and those are scattered throughout the team thread. While other create one master post they update with each new shelf.

So, I'd say, it's up to the captain.

If you any questions, please don't hesitate to ask! You are welcome to ask them here or send me a PM.

Diane ~Firefly~ | 431 comments Do re-reads count?

Diane ~Firefly~ | 431 comments You can choose any book on the shelf? You're not limited to the first x number of pages?

message 4: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 19775 comments Great questions, Diane. I'll have to think on re-reads. I'm not sure that I'll allow them. I'll get back to ya on that one.

Yes, you will be able to choose any book that is listed on the shelf that is posted each week. We will not be limiting people to certain pages of the list.

message 5: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 19775 comments Diane (deebotte) wrote: "Do re-reads count?"

Diane, I'm going to say that re-reads are not preferred, but are allowed. Esp in cases where someone isn't able to get a hold of another book listed very easily, but has something on-hand already read once.

Diane ~Firefly~ | 431 comments Another question - Do all the books have to be part of a series?

message 7: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 19775 comments Since our group focus is on PNR & UF series reads, I'd prefer to keep it to books of that nature, but it's not a requirement.

message 8: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 5625 comments You said you'll post the tags each week, but does that mean the book has to be read THAT week? I've read it to mean:
1. Tags announced
2. Everyone on team reads a different book from that list
3 Once all team members have posted their review and rating (that week or later), that space is marked off.

Is this right?

message 9: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (last edited Sep 04, 2010 11:58PM) (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 19775 comments That's how it's set now - one book a week. Readers can take longer, but until their rating & review is posted their team will not get credit for that shelf.

But, I'm open to changing that to one shelf every two wks which would give people two weeks to read before the next book must be chosen. If that'd work better for everyone.

Let me know if I've just made it more confusing. :)

message 10: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 5625 comments Very clear, THANKS!

message 11: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 19775 comments :) doitashimaste. LOL. I know I butchered that, but you know what I meant.

message 12: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 5625 comments Not at all!

message 13: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 5625 comments Steph, on the Shelf announcement page, you said * In order to get credit for the FREE SPACE
each team member must read one book from one of the following:...

Do we all have to read the same one, or can we all choose a different thing? (One teammate read BOM, one read something on the shelves, etc...)

message 14: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 5625 comments Next question...is the list of links posted somewhere over here?

message 15: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 19775 comments Judithe wrote: "Steph, on the Shelf announcement page, you said * In order to get credit for the FREE SPACE
each team member must read one book from one of the following:...

Do we all have to read the same one, ..."

No, everyone can pick a different option. As long as each team member chooses a book from one of those 3 options listed.

message 16: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 19775 comments Judithe wrote: "Next question...is the list of links posted somewhere over here?"

No. I'll be posting one at a time, along with the shelf named every other week.

message 17: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 5625 comments OK. Thanks so much!

message 18: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (last edited Oct 09, 2010 06:35PM) (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 19775 comments Welcome :)
(I'll add those to post1 once I'm on my computer.)

message 19: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 5625 comments Back to the Free Space...
Can we read the book for that space at anytime?

message 20: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 19775 comments Judithe wrote: "Back to the Free Space...
Can we read the book for that space at anytime?"

Yes. Now that the challenge has started, team members can choose to read a book, from one of the three options listed, at any time.

Please be sure to state with your rating and review that the book was read for free space credit.

message 21: by Laura Lulu (new)

Laura Lulu (LauraLulu) | 1603 comments I have another free space question--2 of our options are the October BOM or an October new release from the group new release threads. We're going to be playing this sucker way past October, so I'm going to assume once we hit November, we can use the November BOM or a book from the November new release threads? Then we can plan ahead, if we weren't planning on reading the October BOM or an October new release, know what I'm sayin'?

There's no way anyone's getting BINGO in October with just 2 shelves listed, so waiting til November or even December for the free space read is doable. :)

message 22: by Sandra, Winter is Here ...brrr (new)

Sandra | 14723 comments Makes sense to me LLL. We'd better let Bingo Master be the judge though.

Although don't forget you don't have to read BOM or new release, we can pick from group's bookshelf also.

message 23: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (last edited Oct 11, 2010 12:44AM) (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 19775 comments Yes, any SOS BOM or monthly new release from Oct until ?? is fine for the free space read. Members are welcome to choose which month's book (BOM or new rls) or book on the group's shelves they'd like to read.

message 24: by Shelleyrae (new)

Shelleyrae at Book'd Out | 346 comments Where do we post the links to our reviews when we are done? Just in our team thread?

message 25: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 19775 comments Yes please. If you could, please list, with your review, a star rating and the date you finished the book. Thanks!

message 26: by Shelleyrae (new)

Shelleyrae at Book'd Out | 346 comments Thanks Steph - I'll edit my post

message 27: by ♥Tricia♥ (last edited Jan 27, 2011 09:50AM) (new)

♥Tricia♥ (WickedEnchantment) | 13 comments This sounds like such wonderful fun but I have questions about it.

First, I read mainly books I am sent to review.. but they still fall under the categories listed that I see in your bingo game. (I also read books that come out from my A-List of authors, separately from review books)
Do you think considering that, that I would be able to play?

Also, my reviews are the sole property of Literary Escapism (unless it's a book that was a giveaway book from GR) and therefore I cannot write up a full review anywhere else.. but I CAN post a partial one with my star rating in it.
Would this be allowed?

message 28: by Laura Lulu (last edited Jan 27, 2011 11:49AM) (new)

Laura Lulu (LauraLulu) | 1603 comments It's great fun, Tricia--you should definitely join on our next go around.

Here is a link for all the shelves we've done so far this game. Check them out and see if they work for you. They each have tons of books on them, and I haven't had a problem yet finding a book that I was planning on reading on the shelves.

Book Shelf BINGO: Shelf Announcements

As far as reviews, you do have to post a little something to get credit for the book, but by no means does it have to be an indepth review. Just a couple sentences telling us whether or not you liked it works just fine. :) If you want, you can check out the team threads to get an idea of the reviews that others post.

message 29: by ♥Tricia♥ (new)

♥Tricia♥ (WickedEnchantment) | 13 comments Ok cool, thanks! I think I will put my hat in the mix for the next go around :D

message 30: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 19775 comments Yay! That'd be great, Tricia! We'd love to have you join us on Round 2. We are having a blast with it so far. We're getting very close to a team getting BINGO! No idea when exactly we'll run Round 2, but it's definitely something I'd like to continue if we can gather enough players.

Thanks for your interest!

message 31: by Diane ~Firefly~ (new)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 431 comments Steph wrote: "Yay! That'd be great, Tricia! We'd love to have you join us on Round 2. We are having a blast with it so far. We're getting very close to a team getting BINGO! No idea when exactly we'll run R..."

I've really enjoyed the bingo game so far, this was a great idea Steph. My one recommendation would be to pick shelves weekly if you do this again.

message 32: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 19775 comments Thanks, Diane! We have been discussing things we'd do the same and/or different and more frequent shelf announcements was top of the list. So, that's guaranteed. :)

message 33: by ♥Tricia♥ (new)

♥Tricia♥ (WickedEnchantment) | 13 comments So.. when do new games come out? I see new bingo cards being posted but nothing on when new members can join in?

Is this exclusive? Should I not hold my breath?

message 34: by Sandra, Winter is Here ...brrr (new)

Sandra | 14723 comments Tricia, this game is near the end, you're only seeing stamps being posted on the existing bingo cards, the next round of bingo will be later in the year.

We'd be very happy to have you join us then so keep a lookout.

message 35: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (last edited Feb 09, 2011 08:29PM) (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 19775 comments Thanks for your interest, Tricia! Looking forward to having you join us in Round 2. Not sure when we'll start it. We'll take a break between the finish of Round 1 and the beginning of Round 2, but you'll most definitely see notices around the group whenever we're asking for R2 players. :)

message 36: by Sherri (new)

Sherri | 594 comments I would be interested in joining also. So I will keep an eye out for notices. Thanks for posting an update.

message 37: by Sandra, Winter is Here ...brrr (new)

Sandra | 14723 comments Sherri, like I said to Tricia, we'd be very happy to have you join us :)

message 38: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 19775 comments Absolutely! Thanks for your interest, Sherri! And Welcome to the group!!

message 39: by Sherri (new)

Sherri | 594 comments Thanks for the welcome!

message 40: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 19775 comments :)

message 41: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 5625 comments How exciting! I'm loving R1, and so happy to see people wanting to join! ...hoping for an exciting shelf announcement from the randomizer soon, too!

message 42: by ♥Tricia♥ (new)

♥Tricia♥ (WickedEnchantment) | 13 comments =D

I will keep an eye out, I am just hoping I don't miss it! lol

message 43: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 19775 comments You won't miss it. If I don't see you sign up, I'll shoot ya an invite.

message 44: by Zaanodes (new)

Zaanodes | 804 comments Clarification please...

We just read one book per week, correct?

message 45: by Laura Lulu (last edited Feb 21, 2011 10:34AM) (new)

Laura Lulu (LauraLulu) | 1603 comments Yep, 1 book per week.

message 46: by Zaanodes (new)

Zaanodes | 804 comments Laura Lulu wrote: "Yep, 1 book per week."

Thank you.

Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave (HarryDresdensLoveSlave) | 1282 comments OK I since I decided to do the 2nd one, I made myself a Bingo Books shelf and have been going through the possible lists and shelving books I have. I've noticed a lot of books shelved as categories they don't fit into. Like I just saw Covet by JR Ward shelved as Vampire-romance. I read that book. I remember demons and angels but no vampires.

message 48: by Laura Lulu (last edited Feb 21, 2011 01:27PM) (new)

Laura Lulu (LauraLulu) | 1603 comments The GoodReads shelves are user created. They are the shelves we all make to organize our TBR list. So it is completely up to each individual person what shelves to include on their TBR, and what books to put on those shelves. They are not edited by any GoodReads employees or librarians, they are just user shelves.

That's why we try to find widely used shelves for BINGO, so that there are bunches of choices for everyone. But there are always going to be people who include a book on one of their shelves that we might not think fits. I'm assuming some people put Covet on their vampire shelf because it's written by Ward, and she's so well known for her vampire BDB series.

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

If I see those books, I just don't pick them. I chose books that seemed to fit (or I knew fit) and was on the list. :)

message 50: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 19775 comments It's completely up to you, Rebecca. Players are welcome to pick any book from the shelf, even if it doesn't really "belong". If it's listed on the announced shelf, it's fair game. ;)

« previous 1 3 4

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Archangel's Storm (other topics)
Endgame (other topics)
The Great Gatsby (other topics)
The Great Gatsby (other topics)
The Night Circus (other topics)