Classic Horror Lovers discussion

Tales to Chill Your Blood Reads > Tales To Chill Your Blood Short Story Group Reads

Comments (showing 1-50 of 221) (221 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (Gatadelafuente) | 1306 comments Mod
Tressa had a great idea of reading a short story each week. The cool thing is there are tons of these stories free online, through various sources. I hope we can get this started pretty soon.

message 2: by Jason (new)

Jason (Darkfiction) | 164 comments Me too. It would be a great modivator to read all the stuff I've got on my Kindle ...lol

message 3: by Phil (new)

Phil (philhappy) | 19 comments I think a short story a week is a great idea. The majority are available free and it only takes a few minutes (or so) to read one.

Going down the novel road is probably a bad idea. I'm sure we all have classics we want to read but I think we get to them in our own time (just too many books to read).

Maybe a novel every so often and a weekly short story, with links to download or read online. I think a lot of the people here will have no problem re-reading a short story too.

message 4: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 164 comments I love this idea. I'm definitely in.

message 5: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Jamesian Enthusiast (last edited Sep 02, 2010 06:58PM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (Gatadelafuente) | 1306 comments Mod
Okay, lets get some recommendations. The books have to be available for free (or very cheap) online. We'll have a poll, and we'll do the books in order of the highest to lowest votes.

Phil, I think we can consider a novel on a monthly or less basis. I like the idea. I thought about having a group read for October for a classic horror novel.

message 6: by Jason (last edited Sep 02, 2010 11:20PM) (new)

Jason (Darkfiction) | 164 comments It's a little long for a short story, but I'd like to suggest The Wendigo Algernon Blackwood.

You can get it for free for your Kindle at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Wendigo-ebo...

Great! One suggestion already.

How about Green Tea by Sheridan Le Fanu?

message 9: by Cathy (new)

Keep them coming!

message 11: by Kathy (last edited Sep 03, 2010 02:04PM) (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) Born of Man and Woman by Richard Matheson! Great short story!

I think this a link. I hope it works:

http://homepage.mac.com/georgepratt/i...

message 12: by Branden (new)

Branden (Psymin1) | 1 comments A short story a week is an excellent idea. I don't have any suggestions right now, but I'm excited to see the poll.

message 13: by Martha (new)

Martha (hellocthulhu) | 325 comments Mod
I would be into it if I had the story in an anthology already or if it's available to read for free online. I don't own an ereader. I recommend anything by LeFanu. Everyone keep recommending!

message 14: by Jason (new)

Jason (Darkfiction) | 164 comments You can get free e-readers for your computer online. There's kindle for PC, Mobipocket Reader, and Microsoft Reader.

message 15: by Martha (new)

I may be young but I am not tech-savvy, lols. I will check into those soon!

message 16: by Jason (new)

Jason (Darkfiction) | 164 comments They're easy to download, literally takes seconds. If you, or anyone else, ever want the links, just let me know and I'll post them up for you here. :)

Also, Project Gutenberg allows you to view the stories online. You don't have to save them on your computer.

Okay, I will go ahead and start a poll for the suggestions so far. If you have others, they can go on the next round.

The poll will be up until September 16. We'll start the group reads probably the end of next week or the beginning of the following week. I'm excited to do this!

Okay, the poll results are in. The Wendigo will be our first group short story read. Off to start a thread for it!

message 21: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) Cool! I've been meaning to read Algernon Blackwood. This will be my first! :)

Me too, Kathy!

message 23: by Jason (new)

Jason (Darkfiction) | 164 comments I think I read a Blackwood short in an anthology some years ago. But I'm not sure. So I think that The Wendigo will be my first, as well.

message 24: by Martha (new)

The Wendigo is a good one. There's some ideas that still stick with me about it, and it's been a few years since I read it. It'll be fun to re read it and discuss!

Should we start coming up with titles to read after we finish the first group?

message 26: by Jason (new)

Jason (Darkfiction) | 164 comments Sounds good to me, although I already have a suggestion. LOL

message 27: by Jason (new)

Jason (Darkfiction) | 164 comments I was wondering what are we reading next week? Is it Green Tea? I'm going to skip the Matheson one and get a head start on our next one.

message 28: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Jamesian Enthusiast (last edited Sep 22, 2010 05:44PM) (new)

Green Tea is up next. I'll start a thread for it. You can make another suggestion for the next round. Go for it, Jason!

message 29: by Jason (new)

Jason (Darkfiction) | 164 comments Thanks Lady Danielle!

I would like to suggest The Great God Pan by Arthur Machen.

You can get it free through Project Gutenberg by clicking the link below.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/389

Great suggestion. I've been wanting to read that one.

Any other suggestions?

message 32: by Simon (last edited Sep 27, 2010 06:12AM) (new)

Simon (FriedEgg) | 133 comments Having just read "The Beckoning Fair One" by Oliver Onions I would definitely recommend that to this group. I have heard some say that this is one of the finest examples of a ghost tale in the English language. At 60 pages it's fairly long, but definitely worth it!

Oh, and it can be read on line for free here.

message 33: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 164 comments I just read a lesser-known Robert Chambers piece that I thought was pretty nifty: The Messenger. It's availble in this anthology at Gutenberg: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/15143

Thanks! I'll add both of these to the list.

message 35: by Martha (new)

Are there any other places to find stories for free online other than Kindle and Gutenberg? I recently read a really creepy story wrapped in pulpy style, 'In the X-Ray' by Fritz Leiber but I googled it and couldn't find it for free online. It doesn't appear to still be copyrighted.

message 36: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 164 comments Gaslight has a really nice selection of older horror stories to read online.

message 37: by Phil (new)

Phil (philhappy) | 19 comments Lots of stuff here,

http://www.horrormasters.com/

Can someone think of one more story for the poll?

message 39: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Jamesian Enthusiast (last edited Sep 29, 2010 06:55AM) (new)

How about Present at a Hanging by Ambrose Bierce?

message 40: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) That sounds good! Is it Bierce or Pierce? I've seen the spelling both ways and I never knew which was wrong.

message 41: by Simon (new)

Simon (FriedEgg) | 133 comments It's "Bierce". I've read that story, pretty good actually.

message 42: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) Thanks. That's good to know. I've seen it spelled worng so many times, I was so confused! I've actually wanted to read him. I have several books of his on my Kindle waiting to be read.

message 43: by Martha (new)

How about 'The Wind in the Rose-Bush' by Mary Wilkins Freeman? I found that one oddly chilling.

Sounds good, Martha. Can you post the link to the story?

message 45: by Martha (new)

message 46: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 164 comments Ambrose Bierce is terrific! I just read Can Such Things Be? on my Kindle, and was really impressed by how he grounds his horror in very recognizable Northern California settings - they're historical now, but at the time I'm sure these miner's shacks and things were mundane and typical and made the stories even creepier because they were set so much in the real world.

Cool! Thanks Martha.

I've read a couple of Bierce stories. He was a good writer and they were quite creepy. I have a few of his collections between paperback and Kindle.

I am going to make the poll for the next round tomorrow.

message 48: by Martha (new)

Wow, horrormasters has a lot of good stuff. Here's some I haven't read yet, if anyone else would like them to be included.
'For the Blood is the Life' by F. Marion Crawford can be found here: http://www.horrormasters.com/Text/a00...

'The Yellow Wallpaper' by Charlotte Perkins Gilman (supposed to be good I hear) http://www.horrormasters.com/Text/a00...

Also I haven't read any Oliver Onions or Nathaniel Hawthorne, either, if anyone would like to suggest a specific story.

Okay, the poll is up for the next round of stories. It will be up until next Thursday, October 7. We will read in order of most to least votes.

http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/39...

message 50: by Martha (new)

I don't even know what to pick for the poll since I want to read them all! Guess I'll just pick at random!

« previous 1 3 4 5

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Wendigo (other topics)
Green Tea (other topics)
The Great God Pan (other topics)
Present at a Hanging (other topics)
Green Tea and Mr. Justice Harbottle (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Oliver Onions (other topics)
Fritz Leiber (other topics)
Saki (other topics)
W.C. Morrow (other topics)
Wilkie Collins (other topics)
More...