Classic Horror Lovers discussion

Group Reading Challenges > October Scare Fest 2010

Comments (showing 1-50 of 57) (57 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads), Jamesian Enthusiast (last edited Sep 09, 2010 05:37PM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) (Gatadelafuente) | 1277 comments Mod
I started doing a personal reading challenge three years ago in the month of October. I try to read mostly or only horror/scary/dark fantasy novels for the month of October.

If you're interested in participating, feel free to sign up.

Rules:
1. Select and read books that fall into the categories of scary or horror fiction for the month of October, October 1-31st. They don't have to be classic horror. Anthologies and short stories count.
2. Post your reading progress here.
3. If you select your books ahead of time, please feel free to list what books you plan on reading.
4. Winners get a pat on the back in congratulations.

Simon (FriedEgg) | 130 comments I started doing this last October! It's a great idea.

Last October I read:

"The October Country" by Ray Bradbury
"Books of Blood: Volume 3" by Cliver Barker
"The Mist" by Stephen King
"The Dreams in the Witch House and Other Weird Stories" by H. P. Lovecraft
"Collected Ghost Stories" by M. R. James

I think I'll definitely try to do the same for this October. I'll have to have a think on what I'm going to read for it though...

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) (Gatadelafuente) | 1277 comments Mod
Great, Simon. It's lots of fun. I look forward to seeing what you're reading. I have a partial list already, but I'm sure it will be longer than I actually have time to read. :)

Martha (hellocthulhu) | 326 comments Mod
I will definitely be doing it anyway apparently, since horror or dark fantasy is mostly all I read! But I will post a list here closer to October.
I am always excited for October, since it's when I can record tons of classic horror movies on my DVR! :)

Oh, me too. It seems like they don't show as many horror movies as they used to, though.

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) Good idea! I will get my list ready! :)

Amani I'll do it, too! Sounds like fun :D

Nyghtmare Crap, umm, I'll have to pick up some Stephen King from the library at school, all of mine is at my mother's house. I might re-read Dracula. I LOVE that book. Hi Amani!

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) Laura wrote: "Crap, umm, I'll have to pick up some Stephen King from the library at school, all of mine is at my mother's house. I might re-read Dracula. I LOVE that book. Hi Amani!"

I've been wanting to re-read Dracula myself. And then I want to check out Dracula: The Undead that was written my Stoker's nephew, Dacre. I haven't heard alot of positive stuff about it, but I'm curious.

Cathy | 164 comments Last year in October I read:

The Keep by F. Paul Wilson
Mystery Walk, Robert McCammon
The Reckoning, Sarah Pinborough
Halloween: An American Holiday, an American History, Lesley Pratt Bannerman

This year, I don't know yet! I have The Strain, but I already started it and will probably finish before Halloween. Definitely some short stories.

Nyghtmare Dreamcatcher
Dracula.
I'll figure out others after I go get xrays for my finger.

Jason (Darkfiction) | 164 comments I think I might participate in this, as well. I love horror of all types. I shall prepare a list.

message 14: by Kathy (last edited Sep 15, 2010 08:16AM) (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) Hmmm....I tend to plan for more than I can actually do in a specific period of time, but lets see...

Dracula by Bram Stoker
The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty
Monster Island by David Wellington
Night In Lonesome October by Richard Laymon
Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury
The Kult by Shaun Jeffrey
Dark Water by Kuji Suzuki

Dracula by Bram Stoker The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty Monster Island (Zombies, #1) by David Wellington Night in the Lonesome October by Richard Laymon Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury The Kult by Shaun Jeffrey Dark Water by Koji Suzuki

message 15: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads), Jamesian Enthusiast (last edited Sep 14, 2010 05:30AM) (new)

Danielle's 3rd Annual October Scare Fest
Duration: October 1-October 31st
Reading Selections

Unnatural Selection by Tim Lebbon
The Nightmare and Other Tales of Dark Fantasy by Francis Stevens
Tales from a Gaslit Graveyard by Hugh Lamb
Bone Song by John Meaney
Bonechiller by Graham McNamee
The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson
The Canterville Ghost by Oscar Wilde
Hex and the City by Simon R. Green

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Danielle's 3rd Annual October Scare Fest
Reading Selections
[book:The Nightmare and Other Tales of Dark Fantasy..."

And I thought I was hoping for a big month! lol
Good luck! :)

Thanks! Fingers crossed. :)

Jason (Darkfiction) | 164 comments That's an awesome list, Danielle!

I've yet to make my list, but I know that Dead Man's Song and Something Wicked This Way Comes will be on it.

I'm also considering Bone Song and Agents of Light and Darkness.

Nyghtmare Dreamcatcher And what ever the school library can cough up.

Jason, I think you will find Agents of Light and Darkness to be creepy enough for a Halloween Month read. I hope to read Ghost Road Blues too, if I have time.

message 21: by Martha (last edited Sep 15, 2010 07:58AM) (new)

That's a good list, Martha. I'll look for your reviews.

Unfortunately, (or fortunately, I'm not sure) I went to Half Price Books the other day to trade in a few stinkers and I found way too many books to buy. I only earned a few dollars in trade ins, but I spent way more. So no Halloween-themed books this year. Oops!

That's too bad, Martha. I've been trying to stay out of HPB. I get in trouble. But then, there's Amazon.com. :(

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) I work at a bookstore and between my discount and we do sell used and remaindered books, I have to be strong not to spend my whole paycheck here on books! lol

I imagine, Kathy!

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) It's dangerous! lol

Jason (Darkfiction) | 164 comments I'm dangerous around Amazon. I don't even want to look at that other book store you guys mentioned!

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 194 comments It's an addiction Jason. My "cart" at Amazon tends to sit with a few books in it till I can afford to order. (I wait till I can send for enough to get the "free shipping") I also haunt a couple of used book stores here in Nashville...and also some new book stores. Have I listed my favorite quote here?

To wit:
"When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes" Desiderius Erasmus.

Like I said, an addiction. :) (LOL)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) Great quote, Mike! That's one of my favorites! So true, so true! lol

Jason (Darkfiction) | 164 comments Very true indeed!

It's ok, I still have the 4 I listed for October. Just can't order more Halloween-themed books. I should know better by now than to go to HPB!

Martha, why don't you just count regular horror/dark fantasy books? They count.

Louisa | 8 comments I've just bought Lisey's Story and Heart-Shaped Box, so they might be my next ones. Something Wicked this Way Comes is the choice of one of the other groups I'm a member of and I really want to read it but it's finding the time! I'm about a third of the way through another groups book so then it's decision time. Has anyone got any suggestions as to which i should try next?

message 35: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads), Jamesian Enthusiast (last edited Oct 05, 2010 05:59AM) (new)

Louisa, If you want a quicker read, I just finished The Picture of Dorian Gray. I thought it was very good.

Update: 10/5
Completed 1/10
Reading Selections

Tales from a Gaslit Graveyard by Hugh Lamb
Bone Song by John Meaney
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde 10/2
Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson
Hex and the City by Simon R. Green

Louisa | 8 comments Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Louisa, If you want a quicker read, I just finished The Picture of Dorian Gray. I thought it was very good."
Much to my shame as an Englishwoman, I've never read an Oscar Wilde novel, I might just read it in October. However, I'm thinking about Lisey's Story as it's ages since I read a Stephen King novel, in fact it's over eight years (stopped reading him when I was pregnant with my son).

Hey, don't feel bad. There are a lot of American classic authors I haven't read. It will be there when you're ready to read it.

Louisa | 8 comments Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Hey, don't feel bad. There are a lot of American classic authors I haven't read. It will be there when you're ready to read it."

I've read alot of the American classic authors, I studied American Literature at college for both for my BA and MA. Read my first Edith Wharton only last year and I only read Grapes of Wrath last month, so you're right it'll be there waiting for me!

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 194 comments Hi Louisa, I'm not English...but in noted in my review of TPoDG that I'd been meaning to read it for 40+ years and only got around to it last month. It happens to us all, especially with the "classics".

Confession: I've never read Moby Dick, but don't tell anyone...

Jason (Darkfiction) | 164 comments I tried to read Moby Dick once. All I have to say is, never again!

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 194 comments Well, I've run on people with both opinions and ....I really hate to say this.... I liked the movie. (grimace)

I think reading Billy Budd was about as much Melville as I care to read...

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 194 comments I'm told Moby Dick is better...but obviously don't know. :) LOL

Cathy | 164 comments I love Moby Dick, but it's sure not for everyone. It's a very eccentric novel.

Jason (Darkfiction) | 164 comments Very much so. I could not get into Moby Dick, no matter how much I wanted to.

message 47: by Simon (last edited Oct 13, 2010 06:55AM) (new)

Simon (FriedEgg) | 130 comments Right, thus far my October Scare Fest is looking something like this:

Ring by Koji Suzuki. Read already. Not really classic horror but still horror.

The Parasite by Ramsey Campbell. Read already. Again, not classic horror but still...

The Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko. Reading at the moment. Not classic, perhaps not even horror really; more dark/urban fantasy.

The Night Land by William Hope Hodgson. To read next. Definitely classic although as to whether it's more dark fantasy than horror I will have to find out.

In between these novels I am interspersing short stories from the collection The Dead of Night: The Ghost Stories of Oliver Onions.

That should see me through to the end of the month anyway.

Sounds like a good list, Simon. I have a mix of classic and modern horror, and dark fantasy.

Update: 10/14
Completed 6/10
Reading Selections

Unnatural Selection by Tim Lebbon 10/13
Tales from a Gaslit Graveyard by Hugh Lamb 10/4
Bone Song by John Meaney 10/7
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde 10/2
Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson 10/14
Hex and the City by Simon R. Green 10/7

I don't know how to do the cross-out thing. I feel so dumb saying that!! But wow, Danielle, you've really done well so far!

« previous 1