Constant Reader discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Constant Reader > September: What Are You Reading?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 353) (353 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Sherry, Doyenne (new)

Sherry | 6548 comments A new note for a new month.

Marialyce Just about to finish Messages. It is an interesting compilation of people's interactions with the souls of the people who perished on 9/11.

Flora Bateman (BookwormFlo) | 211 comments Just getting into Dead and Alive and finding it as good as the first two.

Badly Drawn Girl (Badlydrawngirl) | 132 comments I'm reading two non-fiction books at the moment... Manhunt: The 12-Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer by James L. Swanson and The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot. I'm enjoying them both very much!

Marialyce The second book is great. Hope you enjoy it. I haven't read the first one though.

I am starting Pillars of the Earth tonight.

Sara | 1535 comments Carol, I'll be very interested to hear what you think about that one. I had a very strong reaction . . . .

Carol | 6710 comments So far it hasn't grabbed me tight.

message 9: by Sara (last edited Sep 01, 2010 07:32PM) (new)

Sara | 1535 comments um, I found it incredibly racist. India (and Indians) serve as an exotic backdrop for the Brits. Very offensive.

Not that I'm opinionated or nuthin', mind.

Carol | 6710 comments You know my husband was born in India, and the first few pages floored me. I still will read it. If only to see how narrow minded people are.

Hazel | 363 comments Sara wrote: "um, I found it incredibly racist. India (and Indians) serve as an exotic backdrop for the Brits. Very offensive."

There was a lot of that about, Sara. :-)

Sue | 2877 comments I'm currently reading The Children's Book for the discussion. Hope I finish it in time, but I'm only about 60 pages in. I'm enjoying it.

Also reading Kathy Reich's newest, Spider Bones. Not her strongest in my opinion. Too much detail and agency descriptions. Short on the characters. This is another of those instant notification from the library and is a very quick read.

I'm afraid Anna Karenina is temporarily on the back burner.

Kat | 1142 comments THE GOOD SOLDIER was one of those books always used as an example in my creative writing classes years ago, but somehow I only got around to reading it last year! I liked it a lot.

message 15: by Sherry, Doyenne (last edited Sep 02, 2010 05:34PM) (new)

Sherry | 6548 comments I've nominated it several times for Classics, but it was never voted in. I have it on my Kindle where I downloaded it for free from Feedbooks.com . I still haven't read it.

Carol | 6710 comments Ok I am hooked. I am going to track down The Good Soldier

A.J. The Good Soldier, along with Under the Volcano, is reputed to be one of those books most read by writers but least read by readers.

Great novel, one that doesn't outwardly seem challenging but really demands the reader's attention.

message 18: by Aditya (last edited Sep 02, 2010 10:03PM) (new)

Aditya (adic) Am currently half way through Siddharthaby Hermann Hesse An interesting read till now..eagerly waiting for the end, quite a short book and an easy read too...some grammatical errors did seep in, due to translation from German i guess

Katie (Ygraine) I'm reading The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters. So far I really like it; although I do have an issue with the narrator it's not spoiling my enjoyment of the book.

message 20: by Sheila (last edited Sep 03, 2010 01:46AM) (new)

Sheila | 711 comments I'm listening to The Children's Book for our discussion thread. I have just purchased a whole load of Kate Atkinson, CJ Sansom after having loved Dissolution (a ace detective novel in my opinion) along with Brooklyn and Secret Sun in the ebook and audio book sales. Should keep me busy :)

Hazel | 363 comments I've just finished Elif Shafak's The Bastard of Istanbul, which I didn't much like. Last week I started Let Us Now Praise Famous Men, far too late for the discussion here. And last night I picked up Shirley Jackson's We Have Always Lived in the Castle, which already makes Shafak's writing look like rubbish.

message 22: by Sherry, Doyenne (new)

Sherry | 6548 comments Katie, when you're finished with The Little Stranger, make sure you read our discussion of it. It wasn't that long ago, so I'm sure if you wanted to add to it, you will get some responses.
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/3...

Bahareh | 114 comments Hazel wrote: "I've just finished Elif Shafak's The Bastard of Istanbul, which I didn't much like. Last week I started Let Us Now Praise Famous Men, far too late for the discussion here..."

Wow you definately read fast! I have hardly heard any compliments on Shafak's book.

Bahareh | 114 comments Aditya wrote: "Am currently half way through Siddharthaby Hermann Hesse An interesting read till now..eagerly waiting for the end, quite a short book and an easy read too...some gram..."

I really like Siddhartha. It's one of those short books that I open once in a while and read a few pages over again.

Bahareh | 114 comments "The grand design" by Stephen Hawking is on my list this month and I really look forward to it!

Hazel | 363 comments Bahareh wrote: "Hazel wrote: "I've just finished Elif Shafak's The Bastard of Istanbul, which I didn't much like. Last week I started Let Us Now Praise Famous Men, far too late for the d..."

I was very disappointed, Bahareh, and worried that I was being overly critical. When a book is very good, I often find myself wanting to savour it, rereading paragraphs or chapters. The experience with Shafak was very different. :-(

Is The Grand Design the new book where he claims we've figured out enough about the universe and don't need to posit the existence of a god anymore?

Bahareh | 114 comments That's right hazel. I don't really like arguments about prooving or denying god. But I'm interested in Hawking's logic most of the time.

Silencio | 9 comments I've just started Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman; and also still reading The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath.

message 29: by Sherry, Doyenne (new)

Sherry | 6548 comments I'm reading (well, listening to Neverwhere) both of these, too. Welcome to Constant Reader, Silencio.

Hazel | 363 comments Bahareh wrote: "That's right hazel. I don't really like arguments about prooving or denying god. But I'm interested in Hawking's logic most of the time."

My own feeling is that such arguments are unlikely to influence those who hold strong beliefs either way. :-) I'd be glad to hear what you think of the book.

Sheila | 711 comments Silencio and Sherry, not long ago I listened to Gaimen reading Coraline and thought it was lovely story and very well read. I'd have adored it as a child and feel really quite pleased to have "discovered" him as an adult, he spins a good tale with memorable characters, just dark enough to give eary anticipation without too much fright. Neverwhere is certainly on my to be read list.

message 32: by Sara (last edited Sep 04, 2010 04:37AM) (new)

Sara | 1535 comments Today will officially mark the end of my reading and writing lives, collectively. DirecTV gets installed later on. Having not had any form of cable since 2003, I figure I'm doomed. :)

message 33: by Sherry, Doyenne (new)

Sherry | 6548 comments Nice knowing you, Sara.

Barbara | 4959 comments Oh, Sara, we will miss you! But, I'll bet it will be a very temporary hiatus.

Carol | 6710 comments You better not disappear I want to talk to you about East of the Sun.LOL

message 36: by Al (new)

Al (AllysonSmith) | 1101 comments Sara: I think you will find with the new-to-you DVR and on demand features you will be able to better manage your tv viewing time.

I just finished The Hundred-Foot Journey: A Novel which I loved. I think the CRs who love food and travel will really enjoy it. I may even nominate it as it would be fun to discuss, although the discussion would likely become a "so what is your favorite meal" kind of digression.

Vicki I am reading Cold Comfort Farm. So far, it's pretty good.

message 38: by Al (new)

Al (AllysonSmith) | 1101 comments Sherry:

You should definitely try to read it before Key West - I am sure foodie readers and writers will be discussing it.

Barbara | 4959 comments Al, The Hundred-Foot Journey looks excellent. Where did you find out about it?

message 40: by Al (new)

Al (AllysonSmith) | 1101 comments It was reviewed in the NYT a few weeks ago and so I got on the list at the library - then I went to a dinner party at a friend's house and she had just finished it so she loaned it to me - serendipitous.

Especially after your trip this summer, I think you will love it.

Flora Bateman (BookwormFlo) | 211 comments Silencio wrote: "I've just started Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman; and also still reading The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath."

Neverwhere is one of my favorites, the Bell Jar not so much.

A.J. I'm working on Field Guide: Dog First Aid Emergency Care for the Hunting, Working, and Outdoor Dog, which, as you might expect, is a field guide to dog first aid.

And now I'm going to go downstairs to get the burrs, thorns, and mud out of the dog.

Carol | 6710 comments The Hundred-Foot Journey: A Novellooks good to me also . I need a whimsical book right now.

Barbara | 4959 comments Ah, AJ, what an entertaining read!

message 45: by Al (new)

Al (AllysonSmith) | 1101 comments Carol: I think you would really enjoy it - especially with your husband being born in India.

It is also refreshing to read a short novel these days.

Carol | 6710 comments I just put it on hold at the library. I am number one on the list. I also put on hold Homer and Langley: A Novel. I have been wanting to read it for a while.

message 47: by Al (new)

Al (AllysonSmith) | 1101 comments Keep us posted on Homer and Langley: A Novel - I have never read E.L. Doctorow but that one sort of appeals to me.

I have now started The Nobodies Album - so far so good. People who I generally agree with on books loved it and people have been recommending the author to me for a while - so I am killing multiple birds with this read. Only downside is it is due back at the library in 4 days and can't be renewed.

Carol | 6710 comments I will. I don't know when it will be available to me.

Natalie Baer | 55 comments Kat wrote: "THE GOOD SOLDIER was one of those books always used as an example in my creative writing classes years ago, but somehow I only got around to reading it last year! I liked it a lot."
I got to page 112 when one of the main characters commits suicide, read 11 more pages and the last page, saw no reason to read the rest. can't figure out why it is supposed to be a perfect novel.

Carol | 6710 comments What does comprise a perfect novel I wonder. Is it entirely up to the reader or is there a guideline or list of requirements?

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.