Children's Books discussion

Themes, Topics & Categories > Children's Books Featuring Grandparents

Comments (showing 1-11 of 11) (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Kathryn | 2875 comments Mod
The second Sunday in September is Grandparents' Day. I know there are some beautiful picture books out there celebrating the grandparent/grandchild relationship. Here's our opportunity to share and discuss :-)

Wilhelmina | 231 comments An opportunity to celebrate with grandchildren - no argument here! (In honor of Grandparents Day, I will report that my 3-month-old baby grandson is already enjoying his board books, laughing out loud when he gets to his favorite pages, and trying to turn the pages himself. He's a keeper!)

My favorite grandmother/grandson book is Full, Full, Full of Love by Trish Cooke. A beautiful book about dinner at Grannie's house. I smile just looking at the cover.

Full, Full, Full of Love by Trish Cooke

On a completely different note, I love Grandma Elephant's in Charge by Martin Jenkins. I had no idea that grandma elephants had such an important role in the elephant family! I like elephants even more than I used to!

Grandma Elephant's In Charge (Turtleback School & Library Binding Edition) (Read and Wonder (Tb)) by Martin Jenkins

message 3: by Gundula (last edited Mar 04, 2013 07:49PM) (new)

Gundula | 1611 comments There is a wonderful sounding Latino picture book I want to read, called I Love Saturdays y Domingos, about a little girl who spends Saturdays with her Euro-American grandparents and Sundays (Domingo is the Spanish word for Sunday) with her Mexican-American grandparents. Looks like a wonderful story and I'm glad to be reminded by this thread that I want to request this book from our library.

And I can now definitely recommend this book, it's magical and thoughtful.

message 4: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Oooh, I love hearing about your grandchildren, Wilhelmina--it's so great that they have an awesome grandmother who loves to read to them, too ;-)

These books sound great! Onto my list they go!

message 5: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Here are a few I've enjoyed featuring awesome grandparents:

Apple Pie and Onions

When Zaydeh Danced on Eldridge Street

Chicken Sunday

The Imaginary Garden

Woolbur

Wanda's Monster

You Can't Take a Balloon into the Metropolitan Museum

Ultra-Violet Catastrophe! Or, The Unexpected Walk with Great-Uncle Magnus Pringle okay, it's about a great-uncle rather than a grandparent specifically, but it is still just so glorious about the multiple generations and family connection. I love this book!

message 6: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

And the Good Brown Earth about a boy gardening with his grandma. It's wonderful!!!

Gundula | 1611 comments Many of the picture books about "sugaring" (maple syrup production) feature grandparents and the relationship between grandparents and grandchildren (in most of the books I have read so far, a grandchild goes to his/her grandparents' sugarbush to help, to experience the sugaring process). They are wonderful stories not only about the sugaring process, but also about the relationship between grandparent and grandchild (love, respect, and the passing on of family traditions)

Sugaring

At Grandpa's Sugar Bush

Sugarbush Spring

The Sugaring-Off Party

Ronda (thebookdragon) "Honey Cookies" by Meredith Hooper, formerly published as "A Cow, A Bee, A Cookie and Me.". Ben's cooking with his Grandma, who has an unusual way of telling him what ingredients come next.

message 9: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Abigail wrote: "I just read a sweet little tale this morning featuring two young children and their grandmother. The kids - a brother and sister - stumble across their grandparents wedding clothing in the attic, a..."

Sounds great! Thanks.

Gundula | 1611 comments I can't believe that we seem to have forgotten to mention Oma's Quilt (can definitely recommend that one).

Gundula | 1611 comments Here is a list of Canadian books featuring grandparents

The Olden Days Coat
Morning on the Lake
Wild Bog Tea
The Secret of Your Name: Proud to Be Métis (this is just excellent)
Up Home (also simply lovely)
Nokum Is My Teacher With CD