Delirity discussion

Speculations > Dreamfever Speculations (Spoilers!)

Comments (showing 1-50 of 72) (72 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Heather (last edited Sep 01, 2010 02:16AM) (new)

Heather Tisdale (Horrorvacui000) | 5763 comments Mod
SPOILERS FOR DREAMFEVER (Fever, #4)!

DO NOT READ FURTHER UNLESS YOU WANT TO HAVE THE BOOK RUINED FOR YOU! Or if you've read Dreamfeaver. =)

1)Who do you think the beast was/is?

2) Who or what is Barons?

3) Who do you think Mac should trust?

Oh ya,

4) Who was the 4th in the gang bang?

Wow, I never thought I'd write that sentence...

message 3: by Stacia (out of inspiration) (last edited Aug 31, 2010 11:28PM) (new)

Stacia (out of inspiration) (Stacia_R) | 826 comments I think that V'lane was the 4th.

The beast has to be someone that Mac is absolutely attached to because she pretty much references her world tumbling down. It can't be Christian or someone like that. It would also have to be someone that she recognizes, so I'm not sure if I'd go with the theory of one of her birth parents.

Candidates would be :

Barrons
Her sister who wasn't really dead
An adoptive parent (if they made it out of where they were being held)

Also, I think that Barrons and his men are all a form of beast. There are what 12 of them? So the guy in the basement when Mac was with Barrons and heard a beast could have been one of the other men as a beast form in their own personal mancave.

message 4: by Heather (last edited Aug 31, 2010 11:59PM) (new)

In book 1 the vamp references that he's amazed Barons is out so close to the full moon. I've been wondering about that. I thought wolf for a while, especially when all of the howling started and the wolves attacked. However, I don't think V'lane would be afraid of him if that's what he was. Plus, the wolves died.
While she's said she's ruled out Baron being Unseelie, that's not true. Technically the king and queen of the Seelie and Unseelie can hold artifacts from the opposite side. If Barons were the Unseelie king then he could have touched the staff. I don't know if I'm saying I think that's who he is. I'm just saying her argument was faulty.
It's possible the beast is Barons, but then he's not dead. She can't kill off Barons right now. If she's going to it has to be later in book 5.

As for who she can trust, I think the little girl is the only one I would trust so far. She's the only one not playing games. Her disclosure of the past comes from the fact that she's a kid with a traumatic past. Barons could have opened up about a lot of thing, even without digging into his past, but he refused to. Although, him dancing around like an idiot is reminiscent of amnesia Eric and it was just great. If they were all blunt with her and gave her the facts, things could have been dealt with so much faster, but where's the fun in that book?

message 5: by Stacia (out of inspiration) (last edited Sep 01, 2010 12:08AM) (new)

Stacia (out of inspiration) (Stacia_R) | 826 comments Have you read Moning's highlander series (she wrote this before Fever)? I might read that at some point. Supposedly there is reference to an ancient creature/being that was a combination of the races that Barrons is (Basque/Pict? Did I spell those right).

I haven't read the series yet, but since I like highland stories and time travel (like Gabaldon's Outlander series), these are on my list. Maybe I'll get to them before book 5 is released, just so I can get some new theories.

I wondered if the series was any good. I don't love the switching between perspectives that she used. If she didn't use that technique then I think I'd be more obsessive.

message 7: by Stacia (out of inspiration) (last edited Sep 01, 2010 12:32AM) (new)

Stacia (out of inspiration) (Stacia_R) | 826 comments I just read in another thread that someone thinks the 4th is the book. Interesting...

message 8: by Heather (last edited Sep 01, 2010 02:05AM) (new)

That'd kind of nasty.

I want to know who goes, "I've got an idea for a scene in my book! Famine, pestilence and death participate in a gang bang..." I'm sorry, I'm stuck on that for some reason. It's just...(shiver)...grrr...

Lani (Crahfty) 1) I think the beast is Barrons or her sister. She's referenced seeing her sister's body many times, but I wouldn't put it past Moning to say it was some sort of illusion. I think Barrons is the obvious choice for the beast-so naturally I hope it's not him. If Barrons is the beast and his men/friends the same creature, why would Ryodan have helped kill the beast? I definately think we're missing vital info.

2)Outside of the Beast, I have no idea what Barrons could be and I like it. I love being kept in the dark!

3)I'm with you Heather, I think Dani is the only person she can trust.

4)I have a wacked out theory for this one. I think the fourth was Barrons projecting himself from wherever he was stuck. We don't know what he is, so it's possible, right? I think he was probably wanting to check up on Mac and since he wasn't in his usual form he couldn't really help her so he took advantage of the situation because I think he really loves Mac. But that theory could be completely thrown out the window because I believe she said she was penetrated by the 4th. Who knows?

What do you guys think Barrons meant when you was talking to Fiona about Mac being his last chance? The romantic in me wants to believe there's some sort of prophecy about Mac being Barrons last chance at love. I'm such a girl, lol!

Angela B Lani, I really like that such a girl theory :) I don't have a theory of my own on it though! I assumed it was to find the book!

1. I don't know but I sure hope it isn't Barrons becasue I really don't want him to die :(

2. I really have no idea on what Barrons is other then possibly the beast!

3. I'm certain she can trust Dani but beyond that I don't think it would be wise to trust anyone as much as I want Barrons to be a good guy I just don't know if he will be in the end

4. I think Vlane was the 4th but I'm not sure it just seems the most likely to me...which is why I'm probably wrong lol c

Lani (Crahfty) I think if Barrons is the beast he's not dead-dead. He can't die, no one would read the last book.

Jess | 120 comments 1. I am not sure if I think the beast is Barrons. I think a huge part of me does not want to believe it is. Also, didn't Ryodan say that he was her only hope of getting out of there. Ryodan was one of her contacts on the cell so I don't think that Barrons would want to kill him unless he discovered something about Ryodan working against him with the Unseelie's.

2. Not sure what Barrons is, but I would assume something extremely powerful... possibly a King???

3. Definitely Dani, but I think Dani is quite impulsive right now. She goes charging into fights without understanding her opponents. I want her to be able to trust Barrons... still banking on their relationship.

4. I like the idea of the book being the 4th. I wonder if we will find out who #4 was.

Stacia (out of inspiration) (Stacia_R) | 826 comments Yeah, I doubt Barrons will be really dead. That would be one of the crappiest endings to a series ever. I understand that sometimes authors have to make tough choices (i.e. Hunger Games series), but there hasn't been this need to make those choices in the other books, so I can't imagine why the author would start now.

Lani (Crahfty) I agree Stacia. I saw in another group where someone thinks Barrons is the Unseelie King and Mac his reincarnated concubine. I thought that was an interesting theory...

I thought that that was a possibility. Although, I don't know if it's feasible. It is something an author could come up with.

Lani (Crahfty) I've read some excerpts that Moning sends out in her monthly newsletter (yeah, I'm becoming a bit obsessed) and they don't seem to support the "Barrons is the Unseelie King" theory.

What is she hinting at?

message 18: by Lisa S (last edited Sep 07, 2010 02:01PM) (new)

Lisa S (kasey_k_fan) I do think it is Barrons that is dead. She said "she had just lost everything" and I think she was in love with Barrons, so he was her everything. Just my opinion.

Lani (Crahfty) I get the feeling he's the beast.

****SPOILER*****(excerpt from the forthcoming Shadowfever)

“You killed my sister!” The dark lake in my head begins to boil. I hear rustles behind me, leathery wet sounds and I whirl. The freaks that killed my sister are taking advantage of the distraction and trying to leave.

Not a chance in hell. This is what I’ve been living for. This moment. My revenge. First the ones that killed her. Then the one who delivered her to them.

I lunge for them, screaming my sister’s name.

I slice and rip and tear.

I begin with my spear and end with my bare hands.

I fall on them like the beast-form of Barrons.

It could all be miss leading, but I'm leaning towards Barrons being the beast and him not really being dead. He did say to Mac at one point about not believing something is dead until it's been burned and you've poked around in its ashes (or something like that).

Vivian (_vivian) 1. I don't want the beast to be Barrons, but I kind of feel like it is. Like we are being led to believe it is Barrons, so we think it's too obvious a choice to be right, but then it is him and we're shocked by it. Did that make any sense?

Or maybe it's some sort of illusion? If Vlane can make Mac see desired things like Alina alive, maybe someone else is making her see the undesired/ worst scenario things to kill her spirit? I think that's wishful thinking on my part because I really don't want it to be Barrons. I'm rather fond of the guy :)

2. I have no clue!

3. Not sure there's anyone she can truly trust. I love Dani but she's still just a kid and like Jess said, impulsive.

4. Just from default, I was thinking Vlane, but I'm not particularly attached to the idea.

Another question - do you think Rowena will redeem herself at all in the next book? Or will turn out to be behind some of the evil-doings? Curious about what others think about her.

Jess | 120 comments I am not sure about Rowena. Do you think she is related to Mac?

Lani (Crahfty) I hope Rowena stays a bitch. I think it would go against her "nature" to go nice. She thinks she's done, and is doing, things the right way and I don't forsee her admitting that she might be wrong.

Carolyn F. I just thought I'd mention it says Darkfever is the BOM but this thread is for Dreamfever. I love the series. At first I thought Barrons might be a hellhound or something along those lines, but he raped and pillaged before the boy died so who knows. I wish both Mac and Barrons would stop being so prickly and just let each other know how they feel. I have a feeling he may have known Mac's grandmother, but that's just a feeling with no basis.

I mention that it's for book 4 in the first post. Since so many people actually read all the way through we could actually have discussions.

Im Bann des Vampirs / Im Reich des Vampirs (Fever, #1-2)
That's the title of the German books. Makes me wonder now.

Angela B oh well crap!

Vivian (_vivian) Whoa, those titles are pretty...descriptive? Wasn't expecting that at all.

message 28: by Heather (last edited Sep 22, 2010 10:21PM) (new)

In the spell of the Vampires and In the Realm of the Vampires if I'm getting my German correct.

Prisoner of the Darkness and In the Shade of Dark Powers I don't know which one is which, Maybe the first one is 4? I had to go to amazon.de to search for them. Shadowfever is staying Shadowfever apparently so they don't help us at all.

Carrie (Care) (Care76) | 1735 comments When you say the beast, you mean the monster at the end? Cause she called the thing that came out of the book the beast too. I think the thing following/protecting her she called the monster. I think the thing she "killed" at the end was her sister. She has mentioned her being her world a few times. I never really thought she was dead (I have a pattern for believing people aren't dead though). It could be Barrons too. I think that is too obvious though and will be disappointed if it is. His friend wouldn't try to kill it though if it were him.

I think Barrons is either the boy that we heard the story about or the king. I'm leaning toward the boy though. My theory is that in the many years of being hostage by the fae, he heard most of their conversations and saw what they could do. In all that time I believe he learned how to do a lot of powerful things. He mentioned to Mac that he learned the hard way. adapting for survival is probably the hardest/toughest way to learn, but probably the best in that he would be stronger for it. That could be why he felt joy at killing the fae princess. Obviously you would hate and want to hurt those that hurt you.

I think Mac can trust Dani and Barrons. Even though Barrons is an ass, I think when it comes down to it, he loves Mac. His motives might seem suspect, but I think in the end we'll find out he had reasons for doing things the way he did.

I think the 4th was V'lane. That does seem kind of obvious though doesn't it? I thought of Barrons, but I don't think he would do that to Mac. I also thought it was the LM, but why would he hide his face?

Carrie (Care) (Care76) | 1735 comments Why is it that when I finally finish nobody wants to speculate anymore? Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

message 31: by Stacia (out of inspiration) (last edited Oct 27, 2010 04:47PM) (new)

Stacia (out of inspiration) (Stacia_R) | 826 comments I thought the 4th was V'lane too, but someone said something recently that made me start to question it. Of course I don't remember what.

Barrons could technically be the beast if his phrase in book 1 about not always believing something is dead until you know it's dead is true.

I don't believe that Christian is the beast. Imo it has to be a family member (parents or alina come back) or Barrons. She doesn't care enough for Christian for her world to be shattered.

Unless she's only shattered because she realized the balance of things was just thrown off?

Carrie (Care) (Care76) | 1735 comments Hmmmmm, now I want to know what it was you heard, lol.

That is true about Barrons, but I think his buddy would still have been more careful not to hurt him.

Stacia (out of inspiration) (Stacia_R) | 826 comments Okay, to those of you who have read the Highlander books.

I just finished Beyond the Highland Mist (Highlander, #1) by Karen Marie Moning and have a question.

Yes, I know that Adam appears in the next book, but I don't mind spoilers. Is Adam supposed to be one of the characters in Fever? I can't remember if there was an Adam in the books or not.

message 34: by Heather (last edited Oct 28, 2010 10:30PM) (new)

I don't remember, but Adam doesn't appear in all of the books. I don't remember him being in book 2, but I know he's going to come back.

Stacia (out of inspiration) (Stacia_R) | 826 comments Oh he isn't in book 2? Maybe the preview I was reading at the back of the book was for a further installment then.

He's Fae and acted in some ways like V'lane (since they can change forms, appearance doesn't matter), with the whole sitting at his Queen's feet and serving her, and the whole "sweeping the heroine away" to other lands.

But then there was something he said in the book that seemed almost Barrons like.

He's the trickster. Umm...I can't remember his name from Midsummer's...

I think he's in book 6.

Carrie (Care) (Care76) | 1735 comments Do you mean Puck (Robin Goodfellow, I don't know if I spelled his name right) from AMSND?

Ya, if I'm remembering correctly then Adam is equivalent to Puck, but I'll let you know for sure when I get to his book in the next week.

Stacia (out of inspiration) (Stacia_R) | 826 comments Oh I remember Puck! I actually liked AMSND in school.

Carrie (Care) (Care76) | 1735 comments Lisarenee, I had the same question about Barrons satisfying her. I think it just transferred to him, because she was acting like a cat in heat with everybody. But I did think she was supposed to be addicted to fae.

I am definitely with you on Mac's sister being the beast. Like I said before, she had mentioned her sister being her world before. Or it could be a read herring. Don't think so though.

Lisarenee said "I keep wondering if Mac is some Fae princess who was put in hiding. Remember the scene with the old women who discussed Mac and her sister? Something was strange about that conversation. I don't remember which book that conversation took place in."

I thought the same thing and it was actually another parallel I came up with between this series and Lost Girl (a tv show). I am not sure about her being a princess, but I know that she was supposed to do something important and that her life would be in danger. I don't know if it was both sisters or just one. I think most people thought it was just one of them.

Are they meant to come together?

message 42: by Amanda (last edited Oct 30, 2010 07:17AM) (new)

Amanda  (peanutty222) 1. I keep going back to barrons being the beast, BUT Mac heard the beast in the basement when she was with Barrons. I really don't have any clue and I really want to know ; ) My first thought was it was Christian and she thought she lost everything cause he was the only person left with her in the silvers, but now I am second guessing my theory.

2. I think Barrons was effected by the curse and he thinks that Mac can save him. In Dreamfever when Fiona came back and tried to tell Mac what Barrons was, Barrons said to Fiona "Why are you here finoa, To apoligize for trying to destroy the one chance I had by killing her?" and Fiona's reply was "Ah, such delicious absurdity! She still doesn't know. You must be so afraid-" and then Barrons stabs her. I think Fiona knows Mac is Barrons only chance to save him and she was going to tell Mac. Also on pg 32 when Maac gets into his head and he is thinking about his shining star and says "Other flank us; still we are so alone. What have we done? What have we become? Have they gotten to her? Does she know? Will she denounce us? Turn her face away?" I think has to do wiht a curse on them. Whatever he is, I am wondering if Mac can reverse the curse and change him.

3. I think she can trust Barrons, he will 'omit' as needed but has kept her alive so far and on rare occasions opened himself up for her.

4. I think the fourth was V'lane. I am wondering if that is why she no longer feels his 'death-by-sex' vibes. She might be immune to it now because it was him that was the fourth. One of the shadowfever teasers, she is attacked by 'death-by-laughter' far and she wasn't immune.

I have some questions that are bothering me....
When Mac went to visit the old lady in the cottage, why did the old lady call her Alina? Does that have any significance or was is the lady just crazy?
What is up wiht dream-eyed boy? In another forum someone was speculating he was the seelie king in the dreamy eyed boys body, since the boy shows up a lot and Mac barely knows him.
What was the shadow Dani saw maving as fast as she was when she saved Mac from the unseelie princes(Pg 13)? I assumed it was Barrons, but why wasn't he helping her. Which makes me hope he wasn't the fourth.

Stacia (out of inspiration) (Stacia_R) | 826 comments Oh my...if Barrons is the fourth, that will crush me. It means he knew she would go Priya. That just sounds wrong.

I still want to say that it was V'lane, but who knows.

There is more than one beast I think. Since Barrons seems to have his little "crew" of people, I think they are all beasts, maybe? Which would explain why Barrons was human in appearance when Mac heard the beast in the distance.

I know I've said it can't be her before but I'm starting to lean toward it being Alina again.

Stacia - Adam is in book 3, so I guess he's back.

Book 2 is the dark king.

Angela B I would really like Shadowfever to come out now please!

Carrie (Care) (Care76) | 1735 comments It comes out in February? At least it's not next summer or fall. That would suck.

Lisa S (kasey_k_fan) I thought it was January.

Carrie (Care) (Care76) | 1735 comments Oh it probably is then. I just knew it was the beginning of the year.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Beyond the Highland Mist (other topics)
Spell of the Highlander (other topics)