Endicott Mythic Fiction discussion

Autobiography of Red
This topic is about Autobiography of Red
Autobiography of Red > Autobiography of Red: A Novel in Verse - Discussion

Comments (showing 1-12 of 12) (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Odette (last edited Aug 31, 2010 09:07PM) (new) - added it

Odette | 243 comments Mod
Autobiography of Red by Anne Carson is our first poetry selection for the Endicott group and our book for September 2010.
Who's reading?

Reem (RHKattan) | 48 comments I am in, but I am still trying to catch up with last month's reading group selection, so I'll be reading them both at the same time! I just got back to Saudi Arabia, btw :), so I'll have lots more time to read now that I am not distracted by all the things to do in London.

Emilie | 69 comments i'm reading!

Mary | 26 comments I started it yesterday. (I gave up on last month's book.)

Reem (RHKattan) | 48 comments Mary wrote: "I started it yesterday. (I gave up on last month's book.)"

I am vascillating on whether or not I should do the same, and continue it later on or something. It's not that I hate it or anything, but it wasn't exactly my cup of tea. On the other hand, this month's pick seems to be right up my alley, and I am keen to see how a novel can be written in poetry form. Anyone have any recommendations on mythic fiction poetry, btw? Or to do with fantasy and the world of faerie? I think those would be fascinating to read. If anyone comes up with an author or name of a book, please let me know. Thanks.

Kristin | 2 comments It just arrived, and as soon as I finish The Tree Bride (not my cup of tea, either and seriously hampered by several really good audio books I was keen to finish) I'll begin. I'm looking forward to trying something new and different!

Mary | 26 comments Reem wrote: Anyone have any recommendations on mythic fiction poetry, btw? Or to do with fantasy and the world of faerie?

Off the top of my head (and I know there are some I'm forgetting that are worthwhile, sorry):

Catherynne Valente's A Guide to Folktales in Fragile Dialects and Oracles: A Pilgrimage; Sonya Taaffe's Postcards from the Province of Hyphens; Eleanor Wilner's The Girl with Bees in Her Hair and Reversing the Spell; Neile Graham's Blood Memory; my The Doors of the Body.

Goblin Fruit, an online magazine, features a number of wonderful poems about faeries and mythic poetry: the most recent issue is here.

Reem (RHKattan) | 48 comments Mary wrote: "Reem wrote: Anyone have any recommendations on mythic fiction poetry, btw? Or to do with fantasy and the world of faerie?

Off the top of my head (and I know there are some I'm forgetting that are..."

Thank you very much. I will definitely look into these and you are my new best friend :).

Sophie (Freigeist) | 1 comments reading the german translation.

I just found these two short,interesting reviews of Autobiography of Red:

http://bostonreview.net/BR23.6/mackli...

http://www.nytimes.com/books/98/05/03...

Emilie | 69 comments thanks for sharing these, odette. i'm still planning to read Autobiography of Red.

There's a new article about Anne Carson in the NYT. It includes information about Red Doc, a "sort of" sequel to Autobiography of Red.
The Inscrutable Brilliance of Anne Carson

On a personal note, I'm delighted that I now live near a library system that owns this book. Unfortunately, there are 43 holds on two copies it, so I can probably expect to get it in about 2 years. It's impressive that a book of poetry is in such high demand.

unread topics | mark unread