The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 25.4 - Lisa MD's Task: Stay Tuned For Your Regularly Scheduled Program

Comments (showing 1-50 of 138) (138 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Sep 11, 2010 04:53PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (PassionforthePage) | 7008 comments Mod
25.4 - Lisa MD's Task: Stay Tuned For Your Regularly Scheduled Program
You are all settled in the recliner, remote in hand, for a night of television watching. It’s that much anticipated time of year, when old favorites return and new shows premiere. You scroll through the menu on your big, flat-screen HDTV, then press the remote to tune in to your show; but wait, the t.v. goes static, develops rabbit ears, and your rocker fully reclines and you flip over backwards in time until you reach 1960.

For this task, roll The Random Dice Generator to determine which t.v. channel you have tuned into. The first number represents the 2010 Fall T.V. Line-up and the second number represents the 1960 Fall T.V. Line-up. You must read the two books, which correspond to your television shows OR if your regularly scheduled show is interrupted, you may CHOOSE to read the exceptions to your programming.

2010 Fall T.V. Line-up
1. Hawaii Five-O
Read a book set in Hawaii.
2. How I Met Your Mother
Read a book where a mother is a main character.
3. Blue Bloods
Read a book with a police officer as a main character.
4. The Vampire Diaries
Read a book with a paranormal character.
5. Mad Men
Read a book primarily set in the 1950’s or 60’s.
6. Glee
Read a book with a high school setting or musical main character.

1960 Fall T.V. Line-up
1. The Flintstones
Read a book with bare feet or a dinosaur on the cover.
2. Gunsmoke
Read a book with a western cover or a kitty (cat) on the cover.
3. My Three Sons
Read a book with the word “son(s)” in the title or subtitle or a male name in the title.
4. The Andy Griffith Show
Read a book with any of the following on the cover: police car, police badge, fishing gear, bee, barbershop, gas station or jail cell.
5. 77 Sunset Strip
Read a book with a number in the title (actual #, written form or ordinal number).
6. The Bugs Bunny Show
Read a book with an animal (insects are acceptable) in the title.

***Pardon the interruption, but there are some exceptions to the regularly scheduled programming:

A. Snake Eyes (Double Ones)
You may choose any two programs you want from the 2010 and/or 1960 line-up, and complete the required reading for each.
B. Boxcars (Double Sixes)
You have entered an episode of The Twilight Zone, and may read two sci-fi books.
C. Any Seven
You may read a book with a black/white/grey cover, AND a book with three or more colors on the cover.

Examples:
Roll 26 – Then you must complete the reading requirements for the following shows:
(2010) 2. How I Met Your Mother - Read a book where a mother is a main character.
(1960) 6. The Bugs Bunny Show - Read a book with an animal (insects are acceptable) in the title.

Roll 34 – Then you must complete the reading requirements for the following shows OR complete the requirements for the exception to the regularly scheduled program:
(2010) 3. Blue Bloods - Read a book with a police officer as a main character.
(1960) 4. The Andy Griffith Show - Read a book with either of the following on the cover: police car, police badge, fishing gear, bee, barbershop, gas station or jail cell.
OR C. Any Seven - You may read a book with a black/white/grey cover, AND a book with three or more colors on the cover.

REQUIRED: Report what numbers you rolled when posting completed task.

message 2: by Lisa (last edited Oct 05, 2010 05:53PM) (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 540 comments Placeholder for 2010 Fall T.V. Line-up

1950's & 60's

Bookmarks magazine reviews thousands of books. These are books found on their PowerBrowser search of books they've reviewed and tagged as 1950's or 1960's.

Bookmarks Magazine 1950's List

Bookmarks Magazine 1960's List

The Irresistible Henry House by Lisa Grunwald The Help by Kathryn Stockett The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (Flavia de Luce, #1) by Alan Bradley The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag (Flavia de Luce, #2) by Alan Bradley A Painted House by John Grisham 1968  The Year That Rocked the World by Mark Kurlansky The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio  How My Mother Raised 10 Kids on 25 Words or Less by Terry Ryan Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen

message 3: by Lisa (last edited Nov 01, 2010 07:08PM) (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 540 comments Placeholder for 1960 Fall T.V. Line-up

Barefoot Covers
Barefoot by Elin Hilderbrand The Castaways by Elin Hilderbrand A Summer Affair by Elin Hilderbrand The Blue Bistro by Elin Hilderbrand Nantucket Nights by Elin Hilderbrand The Love Season by Elin Hilderbrand Summer People by Elin Hilderbrand The Island by Elin Hilderbrand Stiff  The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach Esperanza Rising by Pam Muñoz Ryan Book Crush  For Kids and Teens-Recommended Reading for Every Mood, Moment and Interest by Nancy Pearl Fallen by David Maine Driftwood Summer by Patti Callahan Henry Between The Tides by Patti Callahan Henry Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner Full of Grace by Dorothea Benton Frank The Year of Fog by Michelle Richmond No One You Know by Michelle Richmond Dancing Naked at the Edge of Dawn by Kris Radish The Hot Flash Club by Nancy Thayer The Hot Flash Club Chills Out by Nancy Thayer Twelve Times Blessed by Jacquelyn Mitchard A Theory of Relativity by Jacquelyn Mitchard Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons by Lorna Landvik Your Oasis on Flame Lake (Ballantine Reader's Circle) by Lorna Landvik Distant Shores by Kristin Hannah Sandpebbles by Patricia Hickman The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain Another Place at the Table by Kathy Harrison Smooth Talking Stranger (Travises, #3) by Lisa Kleypas Songs for the Missing by Stewart O'Nan Straight Talking by Jane Green Mr. Maybe by Jane Green Secret Daughter by Shilpi Somaya Gowda Secret Daughter by Shilpi Somaya Gowda 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die  Revised and Updated Edition by Peter Boxall Someone Like You by Sarah Dessen Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen That Summer by Sarah Dessen The Middle Place by Kelly Corrigan The Third Angel by Alice Hoffman Secrets She Left Behind by Diane Chamberlain The Blue Bedspread by Raj Kamal Jha The Swan Thieves by Elizabeth Kostova Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov About a Boy by Nick Hornby Juno & Juliet by Julian Gough All the Numbers  A Novel by Judy Merrill Larsen Mermaids in the Basement by Michael Lee West Bloodroot by Amy Greene Best Friends Forever by Jennifer Weiner Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

Black/White/Greytone Covers
As with all Goodreads lists, all books included may not fit the category, since anyone can add to the lists.

Grey Daze Covers List
Great Books With Black Covers List
White as the Driven Snow Cover List

Bee Covers
Queen Bee of Mimosa Branch by Haywood Smith I Know I Am, But What Are You? by Samantha Bee Kissing the Bee by Kathe Koja The Hive  The Story of the Honeybee and Us by Bee Wilson The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd Like Bees to Honey by Caroline Smailes The Birds and the Bees by Milly Johnson The Beekeeper's Apprentice (Mary Russell, #1) by Laurie R. King The Cookbook Collector by Allegra Goodman

Fishing Gear Covers
Flush by Carl Hiaasen Catch And Release by Mark Kingwell Live Bait by P.J. Tracy A River Runs Through It and Other Stories by Norman Maclean Gone Fishin'  Featuring an Original Easy Rawlins Short Story "Smoke" (Easy Rawlins Mysteries (Paperback)) by Walter Mosley Anthill by Edward O. Wilson

Police Cars & Badges Covers
Black and White (Brian McKenna Series #5) by Dan Mahoney Southern Cross (Andy Brazil, #2) by Patricia Cornwell One Police Plaza by William Caunitz New York Dead (Stone Barrington, #1) by Stuart Woods Chiefs (Will Lee, #1) by Stuart Woods New Centurions by Joseph Wambaugh Floaters by Joseph Wambaugh Hollywood Moon by Joseph Wambaugh Rush by Kim Wozencraft Cop Hater (87th Precinct #1) by Ed McBain Appaloosa  (Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch, #1) by Robert B. Parker True Blue by David Baldacci True Blue by Randy Sutton True Blue by David Milch The Pariah by Collin Wilcox Homicide  a Year on the Killing Streets by David Simon The Well of Lost Plots (Thursday Next, #3) by Jasper Fforde

message 4: by Kristina Simon (new)

This thread is now open.

message 5: by Liz (last edited Sep 01, 2010 10:11AM) (new)

Liz Fun task Lisa! I got snake eyes! So I can do:
1. The Flintstones AND 1. Hawaii Five-O
OR
choose any category - Do I have to pick one from the 60's & one from 2010, or can it be 2 from just one of those years - ex) 2 from 2010?

message 6: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Nice task Lisa! And I am sooooooo excited because I rolled a 25 which means I can read a book with a number in it and I am trying to fit in the Stephanie Plum series (talk about luck!). Now time to find one with a mother main character.

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 540 comments Liz wrote: "Fun task Lisa! I got snake eyes! So I can do:
1. The Flintstones AND 1. Hawaii Five-O
OR
choose any category - Do I have to pick one from the 60's & one from 2010, or can it be 2 from just one of those years - ex) 2 from 2010?"

You may pick from ANY of the 12 programs, no matter what t.v. listing they come from.

message 8: by Nicki (new)

Nicki (luluminstrel) | 284 comments Looove this task! All the tasks this fall are great!

But I rolled 55 so I'm going to need suggestions for books set in the 50s or 60s :)

message 9: by Kim D (new)

Kim D (kdimattia) | 188 comments Lisa I love this task! Fun stuff!

message 10: by JenC. (new)

JenC. (jencornelius) | 553 comments I rolled a 3,4, so I'd like to use the Any Seven option. For book with a B/W cover, does the entire cover need to be B/W only, or the art/background? Can there be grey? I'm wondering about these where the title/author are colored and there is some greyscale:
Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
Spell of the Highlander (Highlander, #7) by Karen Marie Moning

message 11: by Cait (new)

Cait (caitertot) Great task! I got a 3 & a 5, so I think I will read Faithful Place (police officer) and A Thousand Cuts (number in title). :o)

message 12: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 540 comments JenC. wrote: "I rolled a 3,4, so I'd like to use the Any Seven option. For book with a B/W cover, does the entire cover need to be B/W only, or the art/background? Can there be grey? I'm wondering about these w..."

Grayscale is fine. Both covers are acceptable.

message 13: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 540 comments Nicki (UK) wrote: "Looove this task! All the tasks this fall are great!

But I rolled 55 so I'm going to need suggestions for books set in the 50s or 60s :)"

I'm working on some suggested lists, but it may take me until next week to get them posted in my Message #2 and #3 placeholders. (I have a son I'm preparing to take to college on Friday.) In the meantime, I will post a short list of suggestions from my favorite book review magazines webpage.

message 14: by Kristina Simon (last edited Sep 01, 2010 11:40AM) (new)

I also found these Library Thing lists that might help:

1950s

1960s

However, like Goodreads, anyone can tag any book anything on Library Thing, so make sure you do your own due diligence!"

ETA: The next button doesn't show up if you're in the shelf view unless you roll over the top right hand side of the shelf. The number on the bottom of the books in the shelf view are the number of people who have tagged that book with this tag.

message 15: by Aleksandra (last edited Sep 01, 2010 11:49AM) (new)

Aleksandra (AleksandraKonwa) | 757 comments Would you accept for 1960; 3
Pan Tadeusz by Adam Mickiewicz (english version) but I`d love read it in polish

message 16: by Nicki (last edited Sep 01, 2010 12:03PM) (new)

Nicki (luluminstrel) | 284 comments Thanks Lisa (and Kristi) - no rush - it's not like I don't have anything else to read.... :o

message 17: by Nicoletta (last edited Sep 01, 2010 12:17PM) (new)

Nicoletta Daum (Daum9812) I rolled 4&3 so I can use the seven option.. Is this acceptable for a black and white cover?
Identical by Ellen  Hopkins

If not can it be used for a cover with three or more colors?

message 18: by Usako (last edited Sep 01, 2010 12:22PM) (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Ahahaha! I rolled the example - 2, 6!

And WOO! Serendipitous(sp?)! Two owned TBRs on my bookshelf fit perfectly!

2. The Friday Night Knitting Club
6. Fluke: Or, I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings

message 19: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 5182 comments ohhh, i like this one!!

message 20: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 540 comments Aleksandra wrote: "Would you accept for 1960; 3
Pan Tadeusz by Adam Mickiewicz (english version) but I`d love read it in polish"

No, the book description states the setting is between 1811 and 1812.

message 21: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 540 comments Nicoletta wrote: "I rolled 4&3 so I can use the seven option.. Is this acceptable for a black and white cover?
Identical by Ellen  Hopkins

If not can it be used for a cover with three or more colors?"

Yes, Close enough.

Aleksandra wrote: "Would you accept for 1960; 3
Pan Tadeusz by Adam Mickiewicz (english version) but I`d love read it in polish"

No, the book description states the setting is between 1811 and 1812.

message 22: by Penny (new)

Penny | 101 comments I've got a 1 1.

For 1960 I'm picking 5. 77 Sunset Strip (I have no idea what show this is, my parents weren't even born in 1960) Read a book with a number in the title (actual # or written form). Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake

2010 is trickier, I have no idea about books set in Hawaii????, maybe I'll go for one of the others.

message 23: by Caity (new)

Caity (adivineeternity) Great task! I got a 2 for my first die, so I'll be reading Year of Wonders, and I got a 3 for my second die, so I'll be reading A Prayer for Owen Meany.

message 24: by Nicki (new)

Nicki (luluminstrel) | 284 comments Penny wrote: "I've got a 1 1.

For 1960 I'm picking 5. 77 Sunset Strip (I have no idea what show this is, my parents weren't even born in 1960) Read a book with a number in the title (actual # or written form)...."

Moloka'i is supposed to be excellent (for Hawaii)

message 25: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 8649 comments Mod
Nicki (UK) wrote: "Penny wrote: "I've got a 1 1.

For 1960 I'm picking 5. 77 Sunset Strip (I have no idea what show this is, my parents weren't even born in 1960) Read a book with a number in the title (actual # or ..."

I LOVED Moloka'i - we read it in my real life book club - I had never heard of it at that point and was a little dubious - a book about a leper colony? Really? But it was an excellent book.

message 26: by Melissa W (last edited Sep 01, 2010 03:36PM) (new)

Melissa W (melissawiebe80) I rolled 1 and 3.

1. Freefall
3. Native Son

I am assuming that these are okay. But I wanted to check.

message 27: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 739 comments i have a question about books set in the 50's...i would love to read The Girls Who Went Away: The Hidden History of Women Who Surrendered Children for Adoption in the Decades Before Roe v. Wade. it's non-fiction, and it's a collection of personal histories of women who gave up their children for adoption from the late 40's through the early 70's....so it's mainly during the 50's and 60's. would you accept this book? thanks so much for your help! :)

message 28: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 540 comments kiki wrote: "i have a question about books set in the 50's...i would love to read The Girls Who Went Away: The Hidden History of Women Who Surrendered Children for Adoption in the Decades Before Roe v. Wa..."</i>

<b>It fits! The description I found gives the time frame as between 1945 - 1973, so it's okay by me. Enjoy.</b>

<i>Melissa W wrote: "I rolled 1 and 3.

1. [book:Freefall

3. Native Son

I am assuming that these are okay. But I wanted to check."

Two thumbs up!

Penny wrote: "I've got a 1 1.

For 1960 I'm picking 5. 77 Sunset Strip (I have no idea what show this is, my parents weren't even born in 1960) Read a book with a number in the title (actual # or written form)...."

Since you rolled Snake Eyes (1,1), you can choose ANY 2 programs, regardless of the year; so, you don't have to read #1 Hawaii.

However, I highly recommend Moloka'i as Nicki and Sandy have already suggested.

message 29: by Ashley FL (new)

Ashley FL | 732 comments For #5, can the male name be in the subtitle?

message 30: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 540 comments Ashley FL wrote: "For #5, can the male name be in the subtitle?"

I think you're referring to 1960-#3, and I will accept the male name in the subtitle.

message 31: by Ashley FL (new)

Ashley FL | 732 comments Yes, you're right: #3 -- sorry!

Leigh Ann - Silver Wings Reviews (LeighAnnFlyingonSilverWings) For 2010 #4 will you accept one/any of the Harry Potter books? The Sea of Monsters is another TBR I'm trying to work into this challenge. Is that paranormal enough, LOL!?

message 33: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 540 comments Leigh Ann wrote: "For 2010 #4 will you accept one/any of the Harry Potter books? The Sea of Monsters is another TBR I'm trying to work into this challenge. Is that paranormal enough, LOL!?"

I think Harry Potter and Percy Jackson fit more into the category of fantasy. A paranormal character is usually a vampire, demon, werewolf, someone who is beyond normal but exists within our world. Although there is an element of fantasy within paranormal fiction, there is also an element of horror. For these reasons, I don't think Potter or Jackson fit. Sorry. :(

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 2127 comments Percy and Harry are male names though :)

message 35: by Manday (new)

Manday | 311 comments For a paranormal character, does a wizard work? I am thinking the Dresden files, but I have no idea what all characters appear in it

For a "western or kitty cover", I am not sure what you mean. Does something like this count?:
Alvin Journeyman (Tales of Alvin Maker, #4) by Orson Scott Card

message 36: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 540 comments Manday wrote: "For a paranormal character, does a wizard work? I am thinking the Dresden files, but I have no idea what all characters appear in it

For a "western or kitty cover", I am not sure what you mean. ..."

The Dresden File series will work for paranormal.

By western, I mean things reminiscent of the American west, like wagon trains, ranches, cowboys, gunslingers, etc... Think about the things you would have seen if you watched the t.v. show Gunsmoke. The kitty (cat) option is a tribute to Miss Kitty on Gunsmoke.

The cover you show would not work. It doesn't really depict the west. Sorry. :(

message 37: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 540 comments @Kristi(Passion for the Page)

Could you please edit the task thread for "Any Seven", and include "graytone" with the black/white covers. I approved it in another thread, but it might help to clarify it in the task.

Thanks!

message 38: by Kristina Simon (new)

Lisa wrote: "@Kristi(Passion for the Page)

Could you please edit the task thread for "Any Seven", and include "graytone" with the black/white covers. I approved it in another thread, but it might help to clar..."

Sure. I'll do that now.

message 39: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 540 comments Kristi (Passion for the Page) wrote: "Sure. I'll do that now."

Thanks!

message 40: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (vnorthw) | 242 comments My 1960s roll was a 5, will you accept ordinal numbers? Or just plain numbers?

message 41: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 540 comments Vicky wrote: "My 1960s roll was a 5, will you accept ordinal numbers? Or just plain numbers?"

I'm willing to accept ordinal numbers. :D

message 42: by Lisa (last edited Sep 01, 2010 10:40PM) (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 540 comments @ Kristi

Could you also modify "ordinal numbers" in the task:

5. 77 Sunset Strip
Read a book with a number in the title (actual #, written form or ordinal number).

Also, I appreciate you clarifying "Any Seven", however that task appears twice in my description, and needs to be updated in one other spot.

Thanks again!

message 43: by Aleksandra (new)

Aleksandra (AleksandraKonwa) | 757 comments Lisa wrote: "Aleksandra wrote: "Would you accept for 1960; 3

No, the book description states the setting is bet..."

ok, thanks. Will look for something different :)

message 44: by Princess (new)

Princess Zimbellina (princesszimbellina) | 109 comments I rolled 5 & 2 so I'm doing the 'Any Seven' option. Just want to double check if this is grey enough Kindred in Death (In Death, #29) by J.D. Robb

Thanks!

message 45: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 540 comments Kandie wrote: "I rolled 5 & 2 so I'm doing the 'Any Seven' option. Just want to double check if this is grey enough Kindred in Death (In Death, #29) by J.D. Robb

Thanks!"

Looks good!

message 46: by TeresaFL (new)

TeresaFL | 94 comments I rolled a 6 and 2. I went looking for books that meet the musician main character for the 6. GLEE portion. Will Bel Canto work for this part?

message 47: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 229 comments I'm getting a little stuck on Western covers - it's not really my TV or book genre. Would Blood Meridian do? It's certainly a Western in tone, but I'm unsure about the cover...

message 48: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 540 comments TeresaFL wrote: "I rolled a 6 and 2. I went looking for books that meet the musician main character for the 6. GLEE portion. Will Bel Canto work for this part?"

That works!

Stacey wrote: "I'm getting a little stuck on Western covers - it's not really my TV or book genre. Would Blood Meridian do? It's certainly a Western in tone, but I'm unsure about the cover..."

The cover looks western to me.

message 49: by Kristina Simon (new)

Lisa wrote: "@ Kristi

Could you also modify "ordinal numbers" in the task:

5. 77 Sunset Strip

Also, I appreciate you clari..."

Whoops, sorry about that. Got it this time (I think). Let me know if you see anything else that needs changing ;o).

message 50: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 130 comments Fun task! I rolled a six and a five -

For the HS or Musical category I am going to read "Election." I read another of Tom Perotta's books for the summer challenge and really enjoyed his style. For the number category I am going to read "Lean Mean Thirteen" I have slowly been making my way through this series, so I am glad to have a place to fit one of them in!

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Memoirs of a Geisha (other topics)
Spell of the Highlander (other topics)
Faithful Place (other topics)
A Thousand Cuts (other topics)
Pan Tadeusz (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Anita Shreve (other topics)
Charlaine Harris (other topics)