Young Adult Fiction for Adults discussion

If you liked _______, you should read _________

Comments (showing 1-50 of 140) (140 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Peep (Pop! Pop!) (Peep) | 2397 comments Actually I didn't, but maybe you did? A thread where you can recommend titles based on another title the person liked! Is that 13% genius, or what? (You are NOT allowed to pick "or what" unless it's higher than 13 percentage genius points.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 7203 comments Well...don't you think you should start this whole thing off Ms. Genius?

message 3: by Kourtni (new)

Kourtni (kourkyloo) | 602 comments Yes, you and Jaimie should start with the ones you started with in the other thread! Ready, go!

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) If you liked The Hunger Games (Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins you should read The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1) by James Dashner

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) Or should I have waited on Peep? :)

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 7203 comments If you liked Lord of the Flies by William Golding you should read Gone (Gone, #1) by Michael Grant. No Stacia you can start - I was kidding!

message 7: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (JaimieR) | 1275 comments If you liked Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) by J.R. Ward then you should give Bitten (Women of the Otherworld, #1) by Kelley Armstrong a try.

message 8: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (JaimieR) | 1275 comments Ha they match!

message 9: by Kourtni (new)

Kourtni (kourkyloo) | 602 comments Haha

message 10: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (last edited Aug 27, 2010 03:38PM) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) (Peep) | 2397 comments Stacia wrote: "Or should I have waited on Peep? :)"

You'd have waited forever! Genius takes time. Thanks for starting it off, it's nice to see that some people care.

Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning, then you should give Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3) by Ilona Andrews a try.

message 11: by Emi (last edited Aug 30, 2010 08:35AM) (new)

Emi What! No way, genius should be instantaneous, spontaneous, and avalable 24 hours of the day, 8 days a week. ;)

If you liked The Uglies Trilogy (Uglies, #1-3) by Scott Westerfeld then you should give The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer a whirl.

Oh, and another one: If you liked Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) by J.K. Rowling, then you will probably like Knightley Academy (Knightley Academy, #1) by Violet Haberdasher. I think Knightly Academy is even considered as "Harry Potter inspired fiction."

message 12: by Cinderela (last edited Aug 30, 2010 10:14PM) (new)

Cinderela | 12 comments If you liked If I Stay by Gayle Forman then you should read The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson. Don't let the cover fool you. You'll like it. If you haven't read either of them then you have to read..
The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson

message 13: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (SamanthaForshner) | 2 comments If you liked The twilight series The Twilight Collection (Twilight, #1-3) by Stephenie Meyer then you might like Shiver and Linger Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater

message 14: by Susan (new)

Susan Cinderela wrote: "If you liked If I Stay by Gayle Forman then you should read The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson. Don't let the cover fool you. You'll like it. If you haven't read either of them then you ..."

I read both of these and loved them both!!!

message 15: by Cinderela (new)

Cinderela | 12 comments I'm glad because I truly enjoyed them.. :)

message 16: by Roshini (new)

Roshini | 243 comments Loved If I Stay, can't wait for the next book. I'm still waiting to read The Sky Is Everywhere, it's only available in hardcover here; awaiting the paperback version:-)

message 17: by Amanda (last edited Aug 31, 2010 08:50PM) (new)

Amanda  (peanutty222) | 529 comments I bought If I Stay and can't wait for Where She Went(If I Stay #2) which is Adams point of view 3 years later. I loaned The Sky is Everywhere from the library and never got around to reading it. I also checked out My Name Is Memory, which was another love story, and it was pretty good.

message 18: by Amanda (new)

Amanda  (peanutty222) | 529 comments If you liked Sookie Stackhouse, then you should try Darkfever series.

message 19: by Amanda (new)

Amanda  (peanutty222) | 529 comments If you liked If I Stay, then you should try Before I Fall.

message 20: by Amanda (last edited Aug 31, 2010 08:56PM) (new)

Amanda  (peanutty222) | 529 comments If you like Marked / Betrayed / Chosen / Untamed House if Night series, the you should try The Summoning Darkest Powers triology.

Shannen *aka Mrs. Jericho Barrons* (ShannyBananny71) Just my two cents: I would recommend Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning even if you didn't like Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1) by Charlaine Harris. Same with The Summoning (Darkest Powers, #1) by Kelley Armstrong -- try it even if you didn't like Marked (House of Night, #1) by P.C. Cast. :)

message 22: by Amanda (last edited Sep 01, 2010 05:07PM) (new)

Amanda  (peanutty222) | 529 comments House of Night was one of the first series I read when I started reading again. I thought the first book, Marked and the latest book, Tempted, was good but the rest of the series was pretty juvenile. BUT I did enjoy it cause it was nice to throw some good old fashioned easy readers onto my plate. I would definately recommend The Summoning (Darkest Powers Triology)over Marked any day!!!!!!!!
The same wiht Sookie Stackhouse. I really didn't like it, it was pretty cheesy but it was a good filler, nice adult trash while I waited for other books to come out. I actually liked the Fever series.

I thought of another one today.....
If you liked Blue is for Nightmares Collection fro mthe Blue is for Nightmares series, then you should try Don't Die, Dragonfly from The Seer series.

message 23: by Shelli (new)

Shelli Stacia wrote: "If you liked The Hunger Games (Hunger Games Series #1) by Suzanne Collins you should read The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1) by James Dashner"

Both of these are very good!

message 24: by Rosabelle (new)

Rosabelle Purnama | 23 comments Amanda wrote: "If you like Marked / Betrayed / Chosen / Untamed House if Night series, the you should try The Summoning Darkest Powers triology."

I loved the darkest power trilogy, although I only read the first book but it got me hooked and I went out and buy the second one the next day :)

message 25: by Amanda (new)

Amanda  (peanutty222) | 529 comments Rosabelle wrote: "Amanda wrote: "If you like Marked / Betrayed / Chosen / Untamed House if Night series, the you should try The Summoning Darkest Powers triology."

I loved the darkest ..."

Keep reading them, they get better. The only thing that bothered me was I felt everything wasn't resolved at the end of the third book but after some research on the authors website, here's what I found:
Why were plot threads left dangling in The Reckoning if it’s the end of the trilogy?
Because it’s the end of the first trilogy, not the end of the series. The Darkest Powers tells the story of how these characters first got together. Kelley hopes to give them more adventures later. That wouldn’t be possible if she tied everything off at the end of The Reckoning.

Is there a fourth Chloe book coming?
Not immediately. Kelley wants to give these characters a rest while she expands their world with the Darkness Rising trilogy (see below)

Darkness Rising

Is this another Chloe trilogy?
No. This one introduces new characters in a different Edison Group experiment.

Will any of the Darkest Powers characters appear in this trilogy?
Kelley intends to join the two groups of characters, but that won’t happen until at least the last book in this trilogy.

When does the first book come out?
Spring 2011.

message 26: by Roshini (new)

Roshini | 243 comments If you liked Just Listen by Sarah Dessen, you should read Willow by Julia Hoban.

message 27: by Amanda (new)

Amanda  (peanutty222) | 529 comments I liked Willow.

message 28: by Roshini (new)

Roshini | 243 comments Me too!

message 29: by Arphaxad (new)

Arphaxad | 335 comments I'm not sure why this just suddenly occurred to me, since this topic has been kind of quiet for a while! But if you liked The Goose Girl (The Books of Bayern, #1) by Shannon Hale (which you should definitely read if you haven't already), you'd probably also enjoy The Seer and the Sword by Victoria Hanley.

Yeah...random. *shakes head*

message 30: by Amanda (last edited Feb 21, 2011 08:03AM) (new)

Amanda  (peanutty222) | 529 comments If you liked Unwind (Unwind, #1) by Neal Shusterman, the you should try Bruiser by Neal Shusterman.

If you liked The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff, then you should try Hold Me Closer, Necromancer by Lish McBride.

If you liked Chasing Brooklyn  by Lisa Schroeder, then you should try Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A.S. King.

message 31: by Holly (new)

Holly | 107 comments if you liked Twilight (Twilight, #1) by Stephenie Meyer.... you should try Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) by Richelle Mead

if you liked The Naming by Alison Croggon... you should try Wild Magic (Immortals, #1) by Tamora Pierce

message 32: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments WAit I saw that people didn't care for twilight would like vampire academy

message 33: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I was thinking the same thing. I really hope it's not like Twilight.

message 34: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments I guess I'm going to have to cross my fingers when reading it...

message 35: by Becca (new)

Becca | 1608 comments I think it's just that their both vamp novels and if you like Twi, you'll like VA, probably because it's better written. I don't know that you can reverse that set of books though, lol.

message 36: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments haha okay

message 37: by Arphaxad (new)

Arphaxad | 335 comments Oddly enough, I liked Twilight (mostly) and absolutely detested VA! And apart from the inclusion of vampires in one way or another, I wouldn't say the two are much alike at all. So I wouldn't be too worried, guys :)

message 38: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments Oh thank god

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) I thought VA was infinitely better than Twilight. The stories are nothing alike.

message 40: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments yay!

message 41: by Kate (new)

Kate MacKinnon | 6 comments Ottilie wrote: "WAit I saw that people didn't care for twilight would like vampire academy"

Vampire Academy is very good and actually has strong independent females! Don't let Twilight scare you off. I did enjoy both series but in different ways and for different reasons. You might too!

message 42: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments I'm hoping to pick up a copy soon!

Nikki (aka Quinn) | 69 comments So far I am liking Twilight better... I actually really enjoyed Twilight while I was reading it... that was my exposure to young adult paranormalness

message 44: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments I didn't mind the first one when I read it when it first came out before people became overally obesssed, each book got slower and slower...

message 45: by Becca (new)

Becca | 1608 comments And each book was more badly edited and Bella became more of a psycho. I'm not a fan although I loved the idea behind the story.

message 46: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments I got annoyed with her not being able to make up her mind on which guy, that she had a problem with one form of commiment and not another (didn't want to give up a spoiler), and that edward was whinny and didn't have much of a spine

message 47: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I feel like she knew all the time who she wanted but was too much of a wimp to be kind and cut the other loose. She was honestly the most selfish character I've ever read.

I think we've had this talk a few times, lmao.

Nikki (aka Quinn) | 69 comments Okay I just have a quick question that I was thinking about... if Bella was a guy and was "choosing" between two girls we would think he was a total jerk... don't you think?? Are there any love triangle stories with a guy and two girls that you know of?

message 49: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (JaimieR) | 1275 comments Rose from VA and Bella from Twilight are nothing alike. I liked both series but understand the Twi hate even if I don't feel the same way. Looking back she was selfish and immature but I still love the series.

message 50: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Nikki wrote: "Okay I just have a quick question that I was thinking about... if Bella was a guy and was "choosing" between two girls we would think he was a total jerk... don't you think?? Are there any love tr..."

Interesting thoughts. No, not that I can think of. If Bella was a guy people would think he was a jerk.

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Maze Runner (other topics)
The Hunger Games (other topics)
Gone (other topics)
Lord of the Flies (other topics)
Bitten (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Sherryl Jordan (other topics)