The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 25.2 - Leigh Ann's Task: AS HER DEBUT...

Comments (showing 1-50 of 91) (91 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Aug 27, 2010 02:25PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (PassionforthePage) | 6336 comments Mod
25.2 - Leigh Ann's task - AS HER DEBUT...
The Summer Challenge was my very first challenge, and I'm so excited to have finished it! In honor of that, please read 2 books:

A. Pick any author and read (or reread) their debut novel (fiction)
Listopia Help:
Great Debut Novels
Best New Author Debuts
AND
B. Pick an author who published their debut novel (fiction) in 2010 and read it. If they've published more than one this year you can read your choice.
Listopia Help:
2010 Debut Authors (Young Adult & Middle Grade Literature
My 2010 Debut Author Challenge

Kristina Simon (PassionforthePage) | 6336 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

Ashley FL | 732 comments CONGRATULATIONS, LEIGH ANN!! Good work finishing!!

I'd love to hear any recommendations anyone has on 2010 debut novels -- there are a lot that look interesting, but none I've heard anything about.

Liz I'm impressed Leigh Ann - great job!
And I'm excited to start hunting my bookshelves. What a great task!

message 7: by Jennifer (last edited Aug 27, 2010 03:25PM) (new)

Jennifer D (DawsonOakes) This is a wonderful task, Leigh Ann. Debut novels (literary fiction) = my favourite genre so I am thrilled to have a task where I can use two books from my TBR pile!!

Congratulations on finishing your first challenge! Woo-hoo!

Megan Anderson (Ms_Anderson) | 1350 comments This task is AWESOME. Thank you!

Charity (bigbookslut) Congrats, Leigh Ann! I'm diggin' the task.

Leigh Ann - Silver Wings Reviews (LeighAnnFlyingonSilverWings) Thanks everyone! I'm really thrilled to have finished. I probably won't again any time soon since school's started back and I'm a Girl Scout leader, which takes alot of my time. My days are hectic now! But, with audiobooks in the car anything is possible!!

Leigh Ann - Silver Wings Reviews (LeighAnnFlyingonSilverWings) Ashley, if you like YA I recommend Graceling (The Seven Kingdoms Trilogy, #1) by Kristin Cashore for part A. I haven't read any of the 2010 debuts on the lists yet, but most of them are on my TBR shelf.

Here's a couple of blogs with 2010 debut novels, but I think they are mostly YA.
http://readthisbook.wordpress.com/rea...
http://www.wondrousreads.com/2009/11/...

Megan Anderson (Ms_Anderson) | 1350 comments Can both books have been published in 2010?

----

Ashley FL: Before I Fall was amazing (one of the best I've read this year), The Secret Year was kinda meh, and Dirty Little Secrets was interesting from a psychological perspective (especially considering a newspaper article about a hoarder that I read today).

Caity (adivineeternity) Looks like I only have one choice for part B, since I really shouldn't be buying any more books, and that is The Art of Devotion. I originally had it for the beautiful covers because it has GORGEOUS cover art, but I'm sure I have other pretty books I could use.

And for those curious, though I haven't read it, it has been getting a lot of buzz on GR and people seem to really be enjoying it.

Megan Anderson (Ms_Anderson) | 1350 comments Caity wrote: "Looks like I only have one choice for part B, since I really shouldn't be buying any more books, and that is The Art of Devotion. I originally had it for the beautiful covers because..."

The library is my best friend for just this reason lol

Ashley FL | 732 comments Ms Anderson wrote: "Can both books have been published in 2010?

----

Ashley FL: Before I Fall was amazing (one of the best I've read this year), The Secret Year was kinda meh, and [boo..."

Thanks, Ms Anderson! That definitely gives me somewhere to start --- hooray! I wish my library had the hoarders book. I've requested that they buy it, but even if they approve it, it could take months. They do have "Before I Fall", so hooray!

Caity (adivineeternity) Ms Anderson wrote: "The library is my best friend for just this reason lol "

The nearest library is 20 minutes away by car and I don't have my own car.

Megan Anderson (Ms_Anderson) | 1350 comments Ashley FL wrote: "Ms Anderson wrote: "Ashley FL: Before I Fall was amazing (one of the best I've read this year), The Secret Year was..."

I'm glad I could help!

Caity wrote: "Ms Anderson wrote: "The library is my best friend for just this reason lol "

The nearest library is 20 minutes away by car and I don't have my own car."

Ouch. Yeah, one of the reasons I picked the apartment I have is because it's in walking distance of the library so I don't need to drive.

Cait (caitertot) Love it! This is where I'll be able to fit You Lost Me There (for part B).

I have so many options for part A that its crazy - I think I'll leave that spot open as a "wildcard". :o)

Congratulations on finishing your first challenge!

Cait (caitertot) Before I Fall was a great YA novel published in 2010.

Leigh Ann - Silver Wings Reviews (LeighAnnFlyingonSilverWings) Ms Anderson wrote: "Can both books have been published in 2010? "

That's fine!

Dee (austhokie) | 4734 comments i'd be mindful of a couple of the books on the 2010 debut list...the chloe neill one listed is her debut YA, but not her debut as she has an urban fantasy series out also

Jen B (jennybee618) How about if they have previously written other books that aren't novels and then published a novel -- is that still considered a debut? I was thinking of The Queen of Palmyra: A Novel which is the first fiction book by the author, but it looks as though she has written some nonfiction books and a book of poetry.

Leigh Ann - Silver Wings Reviews (LeighAnnFlyingonSilverWings) Jen B wrote: "How about if they have previously written other books that aren't novels and then published a novel -- is that still considered a debut? I was thinking of [book:The Queen of Palmyra: A Novel|724800..."

Sorry, no. I'm looking for authors that were previously unknown.

Kathy G. | 1672 comments I love this task. I want to read The Pigman by Paul Zindel for part A. I read this book in high school and it was on my TBR list of books I wanted to read again. :-)

Christine US (ChristineUS) | 530 comments I'm almost finished with My Name is Mary Sutter for the Summer Challenge. It's absolutely amazing! I'd definitely recommend it.

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1334 comments 2010 Crime Fiction First Novels
http://www.eurocrime.co.uk/releases_2...

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1334 comments Scroll a lil down for the nominees for First Novel by an American Author in 2010
http://www.theedgars.com/nominees.html

Kathy G. | 1672 comments If we just googled "debut novels" do you need the link to the novel?

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1334 comments The 2010 Flaherty-Dunnan First Novel Prize Short List
http://centerforfiction.org/awards/fi...

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1334 comments You'll have to check the publication date but this list offers some non-YA books.
http://www.libraryjournal.com/article...

Alcestis by Katharine Beutner looked interesting. I have had it on my TBR since I spotted the GR Giveaway earlier in the year.

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments Congratulations Leigh Ann - I haven't finished a challenge yet :(. Anyways, I was wondering do these work... The Time Traveler's Wife – Audrey Niffenegger AND A Match Made in High School by Kristin Walker (February 2010)? Thanks!

message 34: by Penny (last edited Aug 28, 2010 05:03AM) (new)

Penny | 101 comments "B. Pick an author who published their debut novel (fiction) in 2010 and read it. If they've published more than one this year you can read your choice. "

Oh my! This 25 points tasks are one heart stoping task after the other.

What happens if we are unable to find a debut published this year???
I'm living in Spain and books take a long time to be translated, the only way to get a book rightaway (in English of course) is for it to be a highly anticipated book (meanig something they know it would sell, ex. The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner: An Eclipse Novella), debuts are not exactly that.

In the general question thread we where told that we could read books in another languge, but have to put the title in English, what if there is no title in english???

I want to read this two books A Match Made in High School and Wolves, Boys and Other Things That Might Kill Me and I have not been able to find theme. I've been looking for months without luck for a Match made in High School, is not even out as an ebook.

I love the challenge but I don't think I'll be able to find a book for it, I'll keep looking though, maybe some of the books that came out in January or February will come out before November 30, Beautiful Creatures and Hush, Hush came out in the end of last year, and they've been out for few month now.

Help!!!

Leigh Ann - Silver Wings Reviews (LeighAnnFlyingonSilverWings) Sarah (Mood Reader) wrote: "Congratulations Leigh Ann - I haven't finished a challenge yet :(. Anyways, I was wondering do these work... The Time Traveler's Wife – Audrey Niffenegger AND A Match Made in High School by Kristin..."

Both of those work!

Leigh Ann - Silver Wings Reviews (LeighAnnFlyingonSilverWings) Penny wrote: ""B. Pick an author who published their debut novel (fiction) in 2010 and read it. If they've published more than one this year you can read your choice. "

Oh my! This 25 points tasks are one heart..."

I just have to say that your situation makes me want to cry! I hate waiting for a new release and I couldn't imagine having to wait months and months LONGER! LOL!

In your situation I'm going to say if you can't get your hands on a 2010 debut author you can do a 2009. Just make sure that when you post you mention this so that they know to count it.

Penny | 101 comments Thanks Leigh Ann, and congrats on finishing the challenge. I'll leave this one for the end to see what I can find. I don't really think I'll be able to finish the challenge, I have a ton of studying to do, but I'll try.

"I just have to say that your situation makes me want to cry!..." C'est la vie!, at least I can read in english so the wait is less.

NickiUK | 284 comments Hi Leigh Ann - congrats on finishing your first challenge!

What would you say to a book that is a debut novel (Small Blue Thing) but won't actually be published until Jan 2011? I have a proof that I'm currently proofreading but I'm going to read it again just to 'read' it :) No problem if you'd rather it be 2010 only - this is a bit unusual LOL!

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Yay! Leigh Ann I actually got a book the from a Goodreads giveaway that was the authors debut released this year! Now I have the perfect spot to tuck that one in and now to look for another...

Leigh Ann - Silver Wings Reviews (LeighAnnFlyingonSilverWings) Nicki (UK) wrote: "Hi Leigh Ann - congrats on finishing your first challenge!

What would you say to a book that is a debut novel (Small Blue Thing) but won't actually be published until Jan 2011? I ha..."

Since we're supposed to stick with the way the task is read and it says specifically 2010 I'm going to have to say no.

Sandy | 7126 comments Mod
Meghan wrote: "Yay! Leigh Ann I actually got a book the from a Goodreads giveaway that was the authors debut released this year! Now I have the perfect spot to tuck that one in and now to look for another..."

I did, too - it just arrived yesterday, and I was so happy to see that it was the author's debut in 2010 - very cool, because I like to try to read those quickly.

Leigh Ann - Silver Wings Reviews (LeighAnnFlyingonSilverWings) I'm doing the same thing. I got The Holy Thief in the GR giveaway and I've been trying to figure out where to put it. Then I realized it actually fit in MY task!

Caity (adivineeternity) Haha, Leigh Ann. This is such a great task. I have SO many options for Part A, I don't have a clue what to do about it. The others at least somewhat limit me with what I can read, but I own at least 20 books that would fit this one.

Also, since I neglected to say so previously, congrats on finishing Leigh Ann!

Megan Anderson (Ms_Anderson) | 1350 comments Caity wrote: "Haha, Leigh Ann. This is such a great task. I have SO many options for Part A, I don't have a clue what to do about it. The others at least somewhat limit me with what I can read, but I own at leas..."

That's my problem. I finally just wrote "I'll decide later" in for part A since there are so many books I want to read for it! Part B is easy--I'm using Nevermore since it arrived today!

Caity (adivineeternity) Yeah, Part B was so limited for me. The struggle is finding another pretty book (most of mine look cool but aren't what I would call pretty or beautiful since they have things like dragons and stuff on the cover). Actually, a lot of my pretty books seem to be debuts.

The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentlemen Bastards, #1) by Scott Lynch is, I think, a beautiful cover, but it was also his debut, and his second book looks cool, but it's all fire and stuff and I wouldn't call it beautiful, and if I use the first book, I want to fit in the second book, so those two are on hold. As for Part A of this task, it'll probably depend on what the rest of the tasks are.

Jen B (jennybee618) Just found a fun website that might be of some help for this task:

http://www.thedebutanteball.com/

message 47: by NickiUK (last edited Aug 29, 2010 03:56AM) (new)

NickiUK | 284 comments Just found the book for part B that I think I'll use. It looks really good if anyone is struggling...
Juliet

chucklesthescot This one is my nightmare! I haven't got any debut novels from 2010!!! All my debut tbrs are 2009 or earlier. Bummer! Hope something turns up from readitswapit.co.uk in a trade that I can squeeze in before we finish! *rushes over to set up trades!*

Sue T (SueTinge) | 1168 comments This sounds like a good one: Juliet by Anne Fortier

message 50: by Beth (last edited Aug 29, 2010 08:42PM) (new)

Beth (MommaLioness) | 608 comments Will Sunrise in a Garden of Love & Evil by Barbara Monajem work for part b? She published 3 books this year.

« previous 1