Terminalcoffee discussion

Face Off! (Less Serious) > the pros and cons of vegetarianism

Comments (showing 1-37 of 37) (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paul 'Pezski' (new)

Paul 'Pezski' Perry (Pezski) | 79 comments the debate in city vs country made me think about this. just interested in everyone's views on the herbivore/omnivore dilemma.

i personally have a lot of respect for the ethical vegetarian standpoint, but am quite happy to eat meat in moderation; the two issues for me are environmental (the amount of land/energy needed to produce meat protein versus vegetable) and the humane treatment of animals.

i do wonder if my own view on this is suspect; perhaps i ought to feel bad about eating something as smart as a pig.

i shall leave the discussion in your capable minds, as i need to go and digest the rather nice (chicken) aloo saag i've just eaten...

message 2: by Barb (last edited Aug 23, 2010 11:13AM) (new)

Barb | 11267 comments Mod
I totally respect the vegetarian lifestyle (for lack of a better word), and there have been times where I actually considered going this way myself ... unfortunatley I like meat too much and don't like vegetables enough. I'd make an even worse Vegan ... *cringes at thought of no meat, diary dairy or eggs*

message 3: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I'm a vegetarian. Well, I eat cheese and eggs. That doesn't mean I'm a healthy eater, though, but I'm improved over the years on that end...I've been a vegetarian for twenty-five years. I don't try to convince others to be a vegetarian. It's a personal choice, etc. I'm not sure if I can speak for benefits across the board because every vegetarian is different. Personally, I think the raw food people are crazy. I couldn't do that in a million years.

Barb said, cringes at thought of no meat, diary or eggs*

You can write all you want, Barb, in your diary. We vegetarians are pro-diary.:)

message 4: by Barb (last edited Aug 23, 2010 11:07AM) (new)

Barb | 11267 comments Mod
RandomAnthony wrote: "You can write all you want, Barb, in your diary. We vegetarians are pro-diary.:) "

That comment was referring to veganism, not straight up vegetarianism ... and I don't have a diary, so I have no choice but to write out my cringes here. ;)

Edit: oh DUH! I Just got that ... now the diary comment makes sense. lol
Fuck, I'm a dumb-ass today.

message 5: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i love my meat and vegetables both. but not raw.

message 6: by Mona (new)

Mona  (k1721m) | 350 comments Paul wrote: "the debate in city vs country made me think about this. just interested in everyone's views on the herbivore/omnivore dilemma.

i personally have a lot of respect for the ethical vegetarian stand..."

Paul, Chicken aloo saag? I've never had that combo before. Actually, I prefer palak(spinach).

We are not vegetarian but we don't eat beef for religious reasons.

message 7: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl | 21710 comments I'm mostly vegetarian. It's not even because I don't like eating animals, I often do like eating them. I adore bacon. I like a lot of fishes. I like really delicious meat dishes. But I'm no longer willing to buy factory-farm meat that has no taste and has been fed strange stuff, and the really good quality meat costs more than I'm willing to pay. Plus, I love vegetables and grains and they're so much easier to cook, IMO. I love quinoa and it has all the amino acids.

message 8: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl | 21710 comments BunWat wrote: "I have really liked some of the quinoa dishes I have had at restaurants or hotels, but when I cook it it comes out bitter. Not sure what I'm doing wrong."

My guess is you're not washing it first. "Quinoa in its natural state has a coating of bitter-tasting saponins, making it unpalatable." - Wiki. Buy pre-washed, or wash it. I must say for myself, I have bought quinoa where the instructions said to wash it and I didn't, and it tasted fine to me. I have also washed it - which is hard, because it's so lightweight, unlike rice. It floats which makes it nearly impossible to drain the water off without losing a bunch of the quinoa. But I digress.

message 9: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 6779 comments Bun, I just stick the quinoa in a fine mesh sieve and Rinse, rinse, rinse.

message 10: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 5884 comments Pro: It's undoubtedly better for your health.

Con: I love the taste of charred animal flesh.

message 11: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments It seems I feel as most here do. I'm what they're now calling a "flexitarian," eating little meat. I've decided there are a few things I probably can't give up (chicken tikka masala, as long as we're talking about Indian food). The more I go this way, though, the more interesting and complex I find vegetable dishes and the more uninteresting meat seems. Today I'm having a bolony sandwich - bought two slices at the deli - because I was craving it. But I could go years without a hamburger.

message 12: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24049 comments Balony.

message 13: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments [image error]

message 14: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24049 comments Precisely.

message 15: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments Or boloney. Or bologna! Those are both okay, and the second is even pronounced the same as the first. Actually what happened is I started out spelling it "bologna" and then thought that would be silly, so changed midway. Yeah, that's the ticket.

message 16: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 6779 comments Bologna is pretty gross. But not as gross as the liverwurst on Wonderbread my co-worker Roy used to eat EVERY DAY at his desk. We could all smell it. Eww.

message 17: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments i would say a con would be you don't eat meat

message 18: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments there is a meat processing plant near here. everyone in this town knows someone who either does or used to work there. they make bologna there. no one in kokomo eats bologna. the rumors are true. bologna is the gumbo of meat. everything that isn't glued down goes into it. tails, hooves, weird fillers, yellow #5 and red #7, cornmeal, moose lips...

message 19: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11390 comments Mmmmm, moose lips.

message 20: by Jonathan (last edited Aug 30, 2010 08:49AM) (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Thanks, Kevin. Just about lunchtime here in the east...

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

We have an Oscar Mayer plant near where I work, they make hot dogs and bacon.

message 22: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments yeah, a hot dog is a bologna stick basically

message 23: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments no doubt. the only way i can eat a hot dog ever is when it is in cognito wearing a hand dipped batter costume at the county fair about once a decade.

message 24: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24049 comments

message 25: by Félix (last edited Aug 30, 2010 11:28AM) (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24049 comments And then there's:

[image error]

message 26: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 6779 comments Kosher all-beef hot dogs are pretty nice.

message 27: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11390 comments I just had two Hebrew National dogs for lunch (sans buns). Yum.

message 28: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 6779 comments I love their slogan: We answer to a Higher Authority.

message 29: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24049 comments Hebrew National = my neighbor ConAgra (I can look out my window and see their HQ), which the only thing I don't like about them.

message 30: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 6779 comments Ooh, Sorry Larry. I think of them as a tiny kosher company. I'm sure they used to get their meat from Postville Iowa, before that hell-hole plant was shut down.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Larry wrote: ""

I see the wiener mobile almost every month, and in the summer probably every week.

message 32: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments i would have loved to pick up someone's daughter in that vehicle on prom night

message 33: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments with the queen song Get Down Make Love blaring as i walk up to the door in my tux and say "i'm here for your daughter"

message 34: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24049 comments Talk to the wiener.

I was standing outside a motel in Fon Du Lac one evening when the Wienermobile drove up. It looked really run down, and had a bad oil leak. The Wienermobile did -- not the motel.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) Kevin "El Liso Grande" wrote: "i would have loved to pick up someone's daughter in that vehicle on prom night"

That would be priceless. I love it!

Back on the other meat topic, I'm really into the nitrate free meat that's making more of an appearance in grocery stores now. Some of it is a bit more pricey, but the bacon and pepperoni aren't badly priced because Hormel and some of the more common companies are starting to market it.

Nitrates are so bad for you and they give me (and a few other people I know) headaches. Even if the meat itself isn't healthy, even taking one thing out of the equation makes me happy. Now if only organic stuff started becoming cheaper...

message 36: by Cambridge (new)

Cambridge (HSquare) | 509 comments It's not just the hotdogs and bologna that has all kinds of, ehhh stuff, in it that you don't want to know about. Go Vegan and you don't have to worry about anyone's lips in your food except your's and possibly your partners ;)

message 37: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments "Vegan's - the only lips that touch this food will be yours"

great slogan

unread topics | mark unread