Boxall's 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Which LIST book did you just finish?

Comments (showing 6,801-6,850 of 8,104) (8104 new)    post a comment »

message 6801: by Jeanette (jema) (new)

Jeanette (jema) (pixelina) | 3 comments I just finished The Summer Book (only in swedish) Such a little gem.

message 6802: by Lisa (new)

Lisa James (sthwnd) | 352 comments I just the night before last finished The Unbearable Lightness of Being

message 6803: by Judith (new)

Judith (jloucks) | 1203 comments Portrait of a Lady - Henry James

The Portrait of a Lady

message 6804: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 94 comments Judith wrote: "Portrait of a Lady - Henry James

The Portrait of a Lady"

A Henry James novel, good for you. I just finished An Interesting Narrative, full review on http://1001everything.blogspot.com

message 6805: by Ginny (new)

Ginny | 140 comments Finished The Successor and The Gathering. I'm not sure I really enjoyed either one, but they were quick reads.

message 6806: by Craig (new)

Craig | 237 comments Riddle of the Sands -Childers
and
Diary of a Nobody -Grossmith

Both pretty good, definitely enjoyed Riddle of the Sands more.

message 6807: by Diane (new)

Diane (readingrl) | 57 comments I just finished Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. I saw the movie a couple of years ago, so there were no surprises plot-wise. However, I did enjoy the book's nuance and quietness and seeing the narrator's inner emotional life.

message 6808: by Bucket (new)

Bucket | 185 comments I've finished a few lately:

The Grass is Singing by Doris Lessing
Sometimes a Great Notion by Ken Kesey
The Power and the Glory by Graham Greene

All very good, but Kesey's is my favorite of the 3.

I'm reading my book club's selection now, but after that I'll dive into The House with the Blind Glass Windows by Herbjorg Wassmo.

message 6809: by Rachel (Sfogs) (new)

Rachel (Sfogs) | 217 comments I've just finished Oscar and Lucinda by Peter Carey.
This long winded book, never seems to come to any point.
Which would have been fine if the story was good, but for me it was just very boring. Well it's another one off the list.

message 6810: by Andre (new)

Andre (AndreB) | 3 comments Just finished Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie. Still processing it. Magical Realism usually takes months to sink in for me. I finish a book and then 2-3 months later I start to really think about it. It tends to haunt me later. I'm expecting that result from Midnight's Children.

message 6811: by Beth (new)

Beth (eparks4232) | 141 comments Just finished Mr. Vertigo by Paul Auster. I'm becoming a serious Auster fan. Here is my review: http://bethslistlove.wordpress.com/20...

message 6812: by Craig (new)

Craig | 237 comments Yellow Wall-paper -Gilman

Haunting and rife with interpretation possibilities.

message 6813: by Judith (new)

Judith (jloucks) | 1203 comments The Pigeon - Suskind

The Pigeon

message 6814: by Mekki (new)

Mekki | 151 comments I just finished the collector by john fowles. it was one of the most disturbing books I've read so far.

message 6815: by Yrinsyde (new)

Yrinsyde | 152 comments Robinson Crusoe. I was surprised that I enjoyed it as much as I did!

message 6816: by Alxandra (last edited Sep 23, 2012 02:35PM) (new)

Alxandra | 7 comments I've editted my comment to put behind spoiler tags what someone was concerned was a spoiler.

(view spoiler)

message 6817: by Lisa (new)

Lisa James (sthwnd) | 352 comments I just turned the last page of Far from the Madding Crowd

Being Hardy, I knew already from reading Tess & Return of the Native, that it wasn't going to be a "happy" book. However, all I will say is that this one, unlike Tess & Native, it DOES have a happy ending! His characters tend to end up being rather unforgettable once you read the books....

message 6818: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 762 comments Why are we talking about endings in this thread?

message 6819: by Lauli (new)

Lauli | 263 comments Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. First spy book I've ever read. Definitely a page-turner, though not my favourite genre.

message 6820: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 21, 2012 09:31PM) (new)

The Age of Innocence

It was amazing, and I still want to punch something.

message 6821: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 90 comments A Prayer for Owen Meany

Really really enjoyed this despite not knowing anything about it to begin with - very pleasantly surprised :)

message 6822: by [deleted user] (new)

Judith wrote: "The Pigeon - Suskind

The Pigeon"

How is it? I heard the style was too different from Perfume, and it sparked a debate on whether it was his.

message 6823: by Yrinsyde (last edited Sep 22, 2012 04:16AM) (new)

Yrinsyde | 152 comments I finished reading Robinson Crusoe and I was pleasantly surprised. I enjoyed it and will probably read it again one day. Click here to read my review.

message 6824: by Mikela (last edited Sep 22, 2012 10:48AM) (new)

Mikela | 379 comments I just finished re-reading The White Tiger and liked it as much the second reading as I did the first. Too bad though that I can only mark it off the list once.

message 6825: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 31 comments Zanahoria (Taly) wrote: "How is it? I heard the style was too different from Perfume, and it sparked a debate on whether it was his."

I'm not Judith but it reminded me a lot of Poe or Kafka. Since I love both of those guys, I did like it, but Perfume is the better book.

I can see where people might think they were written by two different people. The writing styles are very different, though IMO, that's not a definitive way to judge things.

message 6826: by Pepita (last edited Sep 22, 2012 10:30PM) (new)

Pepita | 2 comments Recently finished White teeth by Zadie Smith...wasn't sure what I expected after the first couple of chapters but really enjoyed it and found insights interwoven into farcical characters and plot; fun. And prior to that Farewell to arms by Ernest Hemingway....

message 6827: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen (MissBelgravia) | 19 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Why are we talking about endings in this thread?"

Why not?

message 6828: by Danyellemastro (new)

Danyellemastro | 165 comments The midwife cuckoos by John Wyndham. Pregnancy freaks me out at the best of times without worrying I might have accidentally fallen asleep for an entire day and have an alien in my belly!

message 6829: by Riona (new)

Riona (rionafaith) | 39 comments Kathleen wrote: "Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Why are we talking about endings in this thread?"

Why not?"

Because most people don't like having the ending of a book spoiled for them before they've read it?

Goodreads has spoiler tags for a reason, guys!

message 6830: by Katioush (new)

Katioush | 2 comments Where can we see the LIST? I can't seem to find the right one!

message 6831: by Karina (new)

Karina | 209 comments I finished The Big Sleep yesterday on my plane ride back home. I feel like Chandler added way too many twists and turns and felt like it didn't make much sense. I prefer Christie to Chandler.

message 6832: by Liz M (last edited Sep 23, 2012 04:49AM) (new)

Liz M Katioush wrote: "Where can we see the LIST? I can't seem to find the right one!"

Please keep in mind, there are three different editions of 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die, published in 2006 (original, Western focus), 2008 (updated with a more global focus) and 2010 (almost identical to the 2008 edition -- only 11 books were changed).

On the homepage of this group there is a folder labeled "1001 List". The first topic, 1001 Books You Must Read List: 2006 & 2008 & 2010 Versions has links to several places to find the various lists.

message 6833: by Katioush (new)

Katioush | 2 comments Thank you very much... I'm not familiar with GoodReads yet :)

message 6834: by Judith (last edited Sep 23, 2012 03:35PM) (new)

Judith (jloucks) | 1203 comments Zanahoria (Taly) wrote: "Judith wrote: "The Pigeon - Suskind

The Pigeon"

How is it? I heard the style was too different from Perfume, and it sparked a debate on whether it was his."

It is a very detailed account of what is going on in a neurotic character's mind one day when his routine is disturbed. The writing reminded me of some of Paul Auster's writing more than Kafka. I had a hard time getting interested in this character, but I stuck with it and am glad I did. It's quite good, and quite short as well.

I didn't know about the debate about the style...Many authors write in a number of styles so the change from Perfume's did not bother me, but Perfume is the better novel.

message 6835: by Beth (new)

Beth (eparks4232) | 141 comments Mikela wrote: "I just finished re-reading The White Tiger and liked it as much the second reading as I did the first. Too bad though that I can only mark it off the list once."

Loved that one.

message 6836: by Beth (new)

Beth (eparks4232) | 141 comments Just finished Disappearance by David Dabydeen. Liked it. Here's my review: http://bethslistlove.wordpress.com/20...

message 6837: by Deanne (new)

Deanne | 687 comments Finished After the Death of Don Juan, recieved the copy of 1001 for 2012 and so far found 11 books not on the list before, have to have a closer look.

message 6839: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 31 comments Just finished the audiobook of Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides. Both an wonderful book and a excellent narrator.

The format and style reminded me of Rushdie's Midnight's Children but much more accessible.

message 6840: by Craig (new)

Craig | 237 comments The Time Machine --Wells

Fun, short read. Much better than I had expected.

message 6841: by Drew (new)

Drew Billingsley | 57 comments Rachel (Sfogs) wrote: "I've just finished Oscar and Lucinda by Peter Carey.
Which would have been fine if the story was good, but for me it was just very boring. W..."

I am slogging through this one, as well, and having similar issues. I like the writing, but I have really not found much to latch onto in the charcter, plot or themes.

message 6842: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 40 comments Alxandra wrote: "I've editted my comment to put behind spoiler tags what someone was concerned was a spoiler.

Thanks. Much appreciated!

message 6843: by Mandy (new)

Mandy | 145 comments Just finshed Diaries of Jane Somers by Doris Lessing. Certainly made me think.

message 6844: by Deanne (new)

Deanne | 687 comments Just finished Threepenny novel by Brecht, much better than I expected, read a bit like Trollope or Dickens. Murder, plotting and machinations.

message 6845: by Rachel (Sfogs) (new)

Rachel (Sfogs) | 217 comments Drew wrote: "Rachel (Sfogs) wrote: "I've just finished Oscar and Lucinda by Peter Carey.
Which would have been fine if the story was good, but for me it ..."

Slowly working my way through Cloudsplitter it's a big book with tiny writing, through I'm enjoying it alot more than Oscar and Lucinda.

message 6846: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Kohlhof | 19 comments I just finished Surfacing by Margaret Atwood. This is the third book I have read from her. Not as good as the others, but still a good read. Plus it was only 200 pages! If you know of Atwood her books can be very long. Atwood also makes many appearances in 1001.

message 6847: by Kev (new)

Kev Bickerdike (KevBickerdike) Just finished A Passage to India. I was dreading it, having hated it at A Level, and was utterly surprised to thoroughly enjoy it this time. I had read To the Lighthouse and Nightwood just before it, so was expecting it to be contemporaneously similar to read. I didn't think it was.

message 6848: by Craig (new)

Craig | 237 comments Germinal -Zola

Wow! This was epic on all levels. Easily one of my all-time favorites. Visceral and tragic.

message 6849: by Aileen (new)

Aileen | 40 comments No 77: Absalom, Absalom! by William Faulkner. A 2 star rating. I enjoyed the storyline, but I had to work hard to put it all together!

message 6850: by Lori (new)

Lori (lollyworm) | 28 comments The Terror: A Novel, Dan Simmoms. Loved it

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.

Boxall's 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Slow Man (other topics)
The Shipping News (other topics)
The Red Queen (other topics)
The Age of Innocence (other topics)
The Picture of Dorian Gray (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

J.M. Coetzee (other topics)
Edith Wharton (other topics)
Marjane Satrapi (other topics)
Carol Shields (other topics)
Ian McEwan (other topics)
More...