Fans of Amish Fiction discussion

All Things Amish > The Amish on TV and in Movies

Comments (showing 1-45 of 45) (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand | 2051 comments Mod
Has anyone watched any interesting TV shows or films about the Amish? A while back I came across a really interesting documentary about two Amish families from Pennsylvania who were questioning their way of life. You can watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lhoz_n...

I also saw the Lifetime Movie of Jodi Picoult's Plain Truth which was excellent and definitely did the book justice.

message 2: by Marta (new)

Marta Perry (MartaPerry) | 60 comments I did think the movie based on Plain Truth followed the book very well. I was disappointed in the recent one that was based on the Nickel Mines shooting, and I know many Amish were also upset about it. There were a lot of factual errors in the depiction of Amish life, for one thing, but more importantly, the whole story line of a woman planning to leave the faith because of the shooting was fictional. I think that blurring the line between documentary and fiction in a situation that was so recent and so heart-breaking was really unfortunate.

Marta Perry

message 3: by Rachel (new)

I didn't realise that a film had been made about the shotting. I have to agree that it doesn't seem fair or sympathetic to create an entirely fictional storyline that paints the Amish in a bad light. Especially when the event was so recent, too. I think I'll give this one a miss if I ever see it over here.

message 4: by Barbara Ann (new)

Barbara Ann | 875 comments I think the producers let us down on the movie -- the inaccuracies were numerous. I do know that Donald Kraybill did not have input on the movie.
I have read the book and watched the movie, but there were 2 years between them. I don't remember the book focusing on the mother's wanting to leave. Wasn't it told from one of the girl's point of view? The movie came from one of the mother's point of view and her struggle/battle to forgive the shooter and acceptance of it being God's will.

I don't know that I could have offered forgiveness in the few days between the shootings and the burials to the man who killed my daughter. I grew up Brethren, Anabaptist like the Amish, cousins you might say. I've had to forgive a big one and it took me many years even with counseling. I am in awe of those who have the faith can forgive, even if it is just fiction.

message 5: by Lorie (new)

Lorie | 1486 comments Mod
Beth Wiseman had this on her facebook page and she said another Amish author sent it to her, it's a commercial.
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.p...

message 6: by Camille (new)

Camille (CamilleElise) | 872 comments Hah hah. Cute commercial! :)

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Aww, so cute!

message 8: by Jodie (new)

Jodie (MommaWantstoRead) | 185 comments There was a show on National Geographic last week about Amish Weddings. It mostly focused on a former Amish couple getting remarried and covered Amish wedding traditions. While I did find a few things interesting (the bench wagon), most of it I already knew from reading Amish books. So, it kind of proved to me that what I have been reading in all the Amish fiction books is actually how it's done amongst the "real world" Amish communities.

message 9: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (atimetolove) | 119 comments Marta wrote: "I did think the movie based on Plain Truth followed the book very well. I was disappointed in the recent one that was based on the Nickel Mines shooting, and I know many Amish were also upset about..."

I so agree, Marta, and spoke about this on my blog on AmishHearts.com The movie was awful.

message 10: by Rachel (new)

Has anyone seen the British TV show, "Living with the Amish"? It's about 6 British teenagers (17 - 19 years old) who spend a week with various different Amish communities across the States. They have to dress plain, give up all their jewellery and electronics and join in with the daily chores. I've only watched a bit of the first episode but it's really interesting. And it's quite funny to see how shocked the teenagers are at some aspects of Amish life! It was shown in the UK back in November/December 2011 but I've found the episodes online as my university subscribes to a website that has back episodes of anything that was shown on British TV. Has it been on US TV yet? I imagine a lot of the members of this group would find it quite interesting.

message 11: by Camille (new)

Camille (CamilleElise) | 872 comments How interesting, I will look to see if I can find it for viewing here in the US!

message 12: by Rachel (new)

It is actually really interesting! The family the teens stay with are a young couple in their 20s and they can't be much older than the teens but the maturity levels are so different. One of the British teens has never had to wash dishes before in her life. It really makes me think about the way we "Englishers" bring up our children!

message 13: by Sarah (last edited Feb 13, 2012 09:28AM) (new)

Sarah (MissCalico) | 133 comments I am looking back at all the reviews on "Amish Grace"... I was hoping to watch it sometime but now I'm not sure if I'll enjoy it as much as I thought I would. Maybe some of y'all who have seen it can tell me: is it worth watching or will I be too distracted by the inaccuracies and bent truths?

And Rachel... I agree with your comment on the maturity difference between Amish and English young folks. It makes me want to have a lot of children and raise them right! :)

message 14: by Camille (new)

Camille (CamilleElise) | 872 comments I saw something demonstrating how spoiled children can be. This girl was upset that her parents made her do regular chores (making her bed, loading and unloading the dishwasher, etc.) every day so she wrote a post about it on facebook using some rather foul language and complaining about how much her life sucks and how she is a "slave" to her parents. I think she even said "if you want chores done, hired a maid!" or something pretty vile like that.

So in response, her dad made a video of himself addressing her facebook post. Turns out just the day before he had, out of the kindness of his heart, spent several hundred dollars upgrading her laptop software. And all he wanted in return was just for her to do a few basic chores around the house daily. I guess she was about 14 years old or something. Anyway, he was totally fed up with her negative attitude and sense of entitlement and lack of willingness to chip in around the house. So, then what he did was took his gun and shot about 7 bullets into her laptop as a way of telling her "you're grounded, and now you don't get any privileges." While I don't love guns it certainly made a statement about the topic!

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (MissCalico) | 133 comments A friend of mine has a magnet on her fridge:

"This is a self-cleaning kitchen. We clean it ourselves."

message 16: by Camille (new)

Camille (CamilleElise) | 872 comments Hilarious magnet!

I don't know about you ladies, but I can't stand a messy kitchen! I share a home with three roommates, and I definitely clean the kitchen most often, probably daily! I get up early for class and take the time to be sure all the dishes are done, and put away before I head to school!

message 17: by Lorie (new)

Lorie | 1486 comments Mod
Someone else online was telling me that they watched the living with the Amish tv show. She watches it here. Anyone ever watch anything on this site before?

http://www.tv-links.eu/tv-shows/Livin...

message 18: by Rachel (new)

Lorie, I've not used that website before, but if you are able to watch the series somehow I'd definitely recommend it. I'm intrigued as to how the bishops allowed their communities to be filmed - in some cases you only see one family, but with a New Order Amish family they filmed a Bible Study group and a youth gathering. I got the impression that the families felt that by taking in the British teenagers and being filmed they were witnessing to the world? Maybe that's it.

message 19: by Jodie (new)

Jodie (MommaWantstoRead) | 185 comments Camille wrote: "I saw something demonstrating how spoiled children can be. This girl was upset that her parents made her do regular chores (making her bed, loading and unloading the dishwasher, etc.) every day so..."

Wow, the entitlement issue some kids have is really scary. We need to teach our kids how to be a functioning adult in society, not spoiled brats that expect everything handed to them. Good grief!

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (MissCalico) | 133 comments I think modern young America has difficulty determining which things are rights and which are privileges.

message 21: by Jodie (new)

Jodie (MommaWantstoRead) | 185 comments Sarah wrote: "I think modern young America has difficulty determining which things are rights and which are privileges."

completely agree!

message 22: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Robinson | 8 comments Rachel wrote: "Has anyone seen the British TV show, "Living with the Amish"? It's about 6 British teenagers (17 - 19 years old) who spend a week with various different Amish communities across the States. They ha..."

I watched this and it was very interesting. I wonder what effect the experience had for those Amish young people.

message 23: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Robinson | 8 comments Sarah wrote: "I think modern young America has difficulty determining which things are rights and which are privileges."

I completely agree. Part of that is because many parents also have a problem distinguishing between rights and privileges also. I just read an article, today, where a restaurant in Atlanta where the owners are requesting that parents with unruly children please take them outside when they are crying or disruptive. Many people commented that parents with loud, disruptive children have a "right" to be in the restaurant. I don't see that as a true right. THis is a good example of when the definitions between rights and privileges has become blurred for many, not just for children.

message 24: by Jodie (new)

Jodie (MommaWantstoRead) | 185 comments Rachel, I watched the first episode of "Living with the Amish" and I was absolutely shocked that these 18-20 year olds didn't know how to wash dishes, make a meal, etc. What have their parents been doing? As a parent, I am not here to be best friends with my child, though that would be a bonus, but rather I'm here to raise them so they can be responsible, self-sufficient adults! Not wait on them hand and foot! Good grief!

message 25: by Camille (new)

Camille (CamilleElise) | 872 comments In my opinion Jodie, when your kids are under 18, parents shouldn't be their best friends. A confidante is good, but there has to be that hierarchy as respect. So I totally agree that you aren't here to be best friends with your child!

But that being said, I think that a successful parent will raise a child to adulthood, and once an adult, it is the goal to be very close friends with your child. I know that after I moved out for college I became super close with my mom and we share so much with one another!

message 26: by Rachel (new)

Camille, I'm like you in that I'm now really good friends with my mum, but I wasn't when I was a child and a teenager. Probably because she was being a good mum - by the time I went to university I knew how to wash dishes, cook, iron clothes and make my own bed. Admittedly, I didn't know how to use the washing machine, but it was pretty easy to learn, so that was probably an oversight on my mum's part. Parents should definitely teach their children to be self-sufficient adults, like Jodie said. My parents never waited on us hand and foot, and while they did the majority of the serious cooking and cleaning when we were younger, me and my brother always had chores around the house - and one of those was ALWAYS washing dishes! We've never owned a dishwasher, and it's hilarious to meet people at university who hate washing dishes because they grew up with the convenience of a dishwasher. My fiance is one of those people :P

message 27: by Camille (last edited Feb 28, 2012 02:39PM) (new)

Camille (CamilleElise) | 872 comments I'm there with you Rachel. Hate is a very strong word, but for a few years I teetered dangerously close to feelings that way about my mom because I was a very difficult child to raise and she was doing her absolute best to ensure I turned out ok. Yet I resisted her every attempt. There was even about a year or so where I wouldn't say a single word to her except what was absolutely necessary. Yet she stuck by me and kept parenting responsibly, as challenging as I was.

Today I realize how I put her through hell with how difficult I was to raise, but am currently a self-sufficient, college graduate (soon to be law school graduate) who knows how to cook, clean, organize and everything. I am thankful every day she stood by me, no matter how hard I was to deal with, and had she tried to be my best friend instead of a parent, with all the problems I had growing up, I likely could have ended up a teenage mess, pregnant at a young age, experimenting with drugs, etc...

Thank God for a mom who had the strength to keep raising me right, even when everything seemed against her!

message 28: by Rachel (new)

Another TV programme about the Amish, PBS's American Experience: The Amish. A lot of people have been talking about this documentary, it's currently online to watch, for those of us who are out of the US or didn't catch it the first time:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexper...

message 29: by Holly (new)

Holly (TeamComfy) | 5 comments Thanks Rachel! I don't watch tv (I do stream shows to the Wii though) so I didn't know this was available. Hopefully I'll have time this weekend to watch it.

I noticed the other American Experience shows are available on Netflix, hopefully this one will be soon!

message 30: by Carolyn E (new)

Carolyn E | 251 comments I watched the American Experience on the Amish on PBS this past week. I would like to hear the thoughts of anyone else who might have watched it. I am not sure what I thought of it. I guess it sort of shattered my own ideas, too many of which have undoubtedly been formed by reading Amish fiction. I know it is not an easy life, but I do sort of envy them for their strong religious and family beliefs. Despite the fact that Amish communities seem to be thriving now, the program left me with a rather pessimistic view of the future of the Amish culture in America.

message 31: by Camille (new)

Camille (CamilleElise) | 872 comments I just watched Amish Grace today, which I was able to check out from my local library. I realize it's quite fictionalized, compared to the true events, but I have to say it broke my heart to remember what that shooter did to those Amish families. No parent should have to bury a child!

message 32: by Carolyn E (new)

Carolyn E | 251 comments Camille: I watched Amish Grace a couple of times, I think. I also have the book that was written about the incident, but like you say, it just broke my heart. I could not watch the movie again, nor read the book again.

message 33: by Leigh Ann (new)

Leigh Ann (AuntAnnie) | 6 comments The National Geographic channel has a good show about Ex-Amish. It's on Tuesdays at 9:00 EST. I really enjoy it! Read about it here: http://channel.nationalgeographic.com...

message 34: by Gisela (new)

Gisela (goldenangel035) | 1 comments Leigh Ann wrote: "The National Geographic channel has a good show about Ex-Amish. It's on Tuesdays at 9:00 EST. I really enjoy it! Read about it here: http://channel.nationalgeographic.com..."

I actually watch that show and i think it is very interesting...
I believe that family is very important & for an amish person to leave their commmunity it must be really hard...

message 35: by Margaret (new)

Margaret I watched a movie a few weeks ago about and Amish family that lost a baby when they were attacked by some teens "CLAYPING" They refused to testify so the kids almost got off until the older girl convinced her father to let her testify. It was really moving! I dont' remember the the name of the movie but it is on netflix

message 36: by Carolyn E (last edited Jun 15, 2012 09:42AM) (new)

Carolyn E | 251 comments Margaret: I was looking for that movie a while back. I think the name of it is "A Stoning in Fulham County" and it takes place in North Carolina. It's a very tragic story. I will have to check for it on Netflix. Thanks!!

I think I watched it several years ago on Lifetime. I would love to see it again.

message 37: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Carolyn wrote: "Margaret: I was looking for that movie a while back. I think the name of it is "A Stoning in Fulham County" and it takes place in North Carolina. It's a very tragic story. I will have to check for ..."

Yep, that's it, it was so tragic but very good!

message 38: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda (RhondaNash-Hall) | 18 comments I have been watching too, and it is very enlightening!! Amish Grace is a good movie...it's based on the shootings in the Amish school.

message 39: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda (RhondaNash-Hall) | 18 comments Sarah wrote: "I am looking back at all the reviews on "Amish Grace"... I was hoping to watch it sometime but now I'm not sure if I'll enjoy it as much as I thought I would. Maybe some of y'all who have seen it c..."

I think it is worth watching. I have the movie and have viewed it several times.

message 40: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1466 comments Mod
Rhonda wrote: "I have been watching too, and it is very enlightening!! Amish Grace is a good movie...it's based on the shootings in the Amish school."

Amish Grace is available on Netflix! That's how I saw it and I really enjoyed it also!

message 41: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda (RhondaNash-Hall) | 18 comments Good, Diane, glad you enjoyed it!

message 42: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (pearlady) | 14 comments TLC is premiering a new Amish show...

http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/tv/break...

message 43: by Carole (new)

Carole Jarvis | 77 comments Has anyone watched Breaking Amish? I didn't figure it would show Christian values in a very positive light, so I haven't tried it yet. Maybe I'm wrong about that, though!

message 44: by Rachel (new)

I haven't watched it, but from reviews online it doesn't sound like it portrays the Amish in a very good light. Apparently it's quite contrived and scripted.

message 45: by Carole (new)

Carole Jarvis | 77 comments That's what I suspected, Rachel. Maybe Hollywood is just trying to ride the wave of the popularity of Amish fiction, but it doesn't sound like something Christians would be drawn to.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Plain Truth (other topics)