UK Book Club discussion

Comments (showing 1-50 of 1,092) (1092 new)    post a comment »

Adrienne | 278 comments Good news for E~Book readers the Kindle is now available in the UK....thanks to Portia Da Costa for her Blog entry.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Cool. Thanks for that. I'm tempted. I love my sony but i've always thought that it was limited in the fact that it was not web enabled.

It would be great to download a title direct to the device rather than faffing with usb cables and the like.

Adrienne | 278 comments Well Peter looks we're not alone, both readers WiFi and 3G have sold out:( . I checked the books available with my various lists and all but some of the really obscure titles are there. I was pleased to see the books so well priced I'd heard on the news that e~books weren't very comptatively priced but Amazon seems to have many of the titles I want at 1/3 of thepaper price, the only exception is some of the very small US publishing houses.

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 21, 2010 07:17AM) (new)

I'm glad to hear that the prices are more competitive. It should give Waterstones a bit of a shake. I've found that the prices for ebooks have been barely less than for dead tree books. I realise that the cost of books is not made up wholly of the production and distribution costs, however the current prices make no differential which smacks of gouging.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

My only concern about buying a kindle is the number of tablets that will be hitting the market in the next few months. I'm not sure that there is a place for a single use device like an ereader. The only selling point in my opinion is the e ink screen which is very easy the read with.

Adrienne | 278 comments Think it very much depends on the books you buy, I buy alot of small US published books £11 £12 a time the kindle versions are coming in at £3.50 or less so for me big savings.

Can see your point about tablets,personally though an E~reader fits my currents lifestyle so I'm now itching to get my paws on one:)

Kimberley (Trillianne) | 59 comments I will wait for more comments on the Kindle, I love my Sony and it does for me just fine. Whe I was looking into it the Kindle came up as more geared for the US rarther than the UK (the fact that you have to purchase a UK power adapter as it is only supplied with a US one didn't fill me with confidence).

Sorry but while it looks good the jury is still out.

Adrienne | 278 comments OK stupid dum duh question can you buy e~books from amazon to read on your Sony?

Kimberley (Trillianne) | 59 comments I have, yes.

Adrienne | 278 comments O good in one way bad in another, procrastination is my middle name LOL.

Kimberley (Trillianne) | 59 comments Same here LOL

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I didn't realise that they had released a new model. I'm now sorely tempted. I like the idea that it syncs your current page so you can read on the device, laptop, mobile and keep your place.

Anyone want to buy a Sony e-reader 505? :)

Kimberley (Trillianne) | 59 comments As my mum is after mine at the minute, I might take you up on the offer lol

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I've downloaded the Kindle for PC app but I can't get it to work on Win7. I had more luck with the Kindle for Android. It's pretty neat but I doubt I would do much reading on a 4 inch screen. However, I suppose it would be useful when there was no alternative.

There seems to be a good selection of classics for free and I really like the fact that you can download a sample of each book before you buy. One of the great disadvantages of digital books is that you can't browse so I suppose that facility will go some way to sorting that out.

Craig Ford (TheBigman) | 10 comments Hi all, I too love my sony and was wondering if the ebooks for the kindle will work on it, maybe a bit dense I know but just wondered? Thanks

Adrienne | 278 comments @Peter many authors, at least in the genres I read, often offer free excerpts on their websites. I think with many of the classics you already now what you're getting and if not paper copies are usually easy to locate for a quick preview.

@craig please see above posts 8 and 9.

Craig Ford (TheBigman) | 10 comments Many thanks for that sorry new to the site and the oldtimers eyes are deserting him!!!

message 18: by Adrienne (last edited Aug 24, 2010 02:48PM) (new)

Adrienne | 278 comments Done it myself Craig, sometimes posts go off on a tangent and sometimes it's just plain easier to ask the question:) I've looked at lots of E~Readers and for every one I've found a reason not to purchase, sometimes it's cost, with others it's the compatability with various formats...some don't like PDF *shrug* others wont accept certain microsoft documents and you have to create your own fix. This is why I queried the Sony b/c I know they have a tie to Watertones. Also not all stores will sell to the UK Barnes and Noble for instance.

Craig Ford (TheBigman) | 10 comments Interesting, many thanks. I find the Tesco ebook site good for my Sony and WH Smith is sometimes cheaper. Am considering trading to a Kindle but am not so sure as with the Sony you seem to be able to shop around more? Any opinions or info would be a big help anyone.

Adrienne | 278 comments I haven't looked at Tesco, infact I didn't know they had an e~book site, but will take a look and see what they have to offer. Have you tried the BooksonBoard UK site? Cool~er used to have a UK site (I've bought books from them to read off the computer) but now that seems to have gone, you can buy from the US site though.

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (SquirrelsEnd) | 3478 comments I didn't know Tesco did ebooks either, I will have to take a look. I save my waterstones points for my ebooks! I wouldn't part with my two sony's for the world!

I download public domain books from Manybooks.net and found some great old stories!

Adrienne | 278 comments O interesting site Lynne one of he better laid out ones.

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (SquirrelsEnd) | 3478 comments I love it! I also proofread for them as a donation thing in return for the free books!

Craig Ford (TheBigman) | 10 comments Tried to use the Kindle store to D/L for my Sony but no joy couldnt get it to work. Probably me.

Adrienne | 278 comments Did it just not work or did you get an error message of some kind?

Craig Ford (TheBigman) | 10 comments No just couldnt get the Sony software to recognise the Kindle file.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Sk... I don't think that the 3g is worth it. I can see the point when you're never far from a wifi signal.

Robo Pete (Robopete) | 100 comments Kimberley wrote: "I have, yes."

Kimberly - did you get the Kindle file to display on a Sony or is there an option to download in another format? This is something I've been wondering about for a while.

On Topic - I feel bad because I'm sort of tempted to get a Kindle but I've only had my Sony since last Christmas. Not only was it a gift from my parents but I actually love it as a device and don't want to abandon it. The main reason I'm tempted by the Kindle is the price and availability of books to read so I second Peter's hope above that this might shake up the market a bit; Waterstone's pricing for eBooks is unfathomable to me at times.

I just hope it doesn't shake up the market so much that Kindle becomes the only option!

Adrienne | 278 comments Non~removalable battery...big concern here my land~line phone batteries slowly faded until J and I couldn't tak to anyone for more than a few seconds. Obviously I could buy replacements though.

Re Market.......Sony are releasing a reader for under £100 so the competition is about to take off:)

Adrienne | 278 comments @ Craig did you findout/workout how to get kindle books onto your Sony? If so was it easy?

Craig Ford (TheBigman) | 10 comments Sorry been at work the weekend so haven't been on. No I tried but could not get the Sony to regonise the Kindle file.
I wonder if it goes the other way too that you are tied to the Kindle format on Amazon and cant D/L from any other source for the kindle??????

Gill (Lockwdg) | 100 comments I have just got one and am reading my first book on it. Have never had an e-reader before so looking forward to trying this out.

Adrienne | 278 comments How are you getting on? is it good fun?

Gill (Lockwdg) | 100 comments Just learning at the moment. Downloaded 1 book and a few free ones - really easy to do. Very clear to read - different fonts. Only one dissapointment so far is that I thought it would have a back light so that I could read in bad light but it doesn't. I think you can buy a cover with a light on it though!

Adrienne | 278 comments Thats worth knowing, about the back light I mean although if there's a cover it shouldn't matter too much *wonders how much they are and if sony has a back light*

message 36: by Em, Moderator (new)

Em (EmmaP) | 2397 comments Mod
I keep catching the advert for it! What's it like Gill? Do I need one?

Gill (Lockwdg) | 100 comments As I said only just got mine so only playing at the moment. Reading my first book on it - really easy to read and I can change the font size instead of using my glasses! Downloading books takes seconds and most of them seem reasonable prices - the free ones seem to be the classics but I'm sure that will give me in incentive to read some of them again. Its very light and easy to hold. I've bought a cover which make it like a book to hold. You can get covers with lights on them so you can read in the dark but they are quite expensive @ £50. I'll still be reading normal books as I have so many and also usually swap with friends but I think I'll use the Kindle just as much. Just come back from holiday where it would have been great as I would have a library at hand instead of having to carry all those heavy books in my luggage.

Adrienne | 278 comments Gill had you been looking for an E~reader for a long time? or was this a spur of the moment decsion? I'm just curious as to why/how you came about choosing a Kindle:)

Gill (Lockwdg) | 100 comments I had thought about one before but not really investigated any further. However, my husband saw the Kindle advertised on Amazon and thought it would be something that I would like and so pre-ordered it for me. To be honest we didn't do any comparions with other devices as the Kindle looked as though it would suit my requirements.

Adrienne | 278 comments That's probably the best way to buy one:) I have to admit the price of the Kindle makes it very attractive for me at he momeent.

message 41: by Lynne - The Book Squirrel (last edited Sep 08, 2010 04:45AM) (new)

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (SquirrelsEnd) | 3478 comments The Sony doesn't have a back light either and the covers are expensive. They break easy too at the places where you fit them onto the reader. Both my 505 and touch have been broken and replaced but have since broke again so now I don't use them. I have a clip on light that I use now.

I still love my Sony's and love reading from them.

Edit: I don't use the Sony reader covers at all now I got some great leather covers from Amazon, one in black and one in purple! Again the sony covers break at the clip that fastens them to the reader.

Links to covers

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_s...+

Book light link

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Xtraflex-Supe...

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Sony reader on ebay. Kindle on order. :)

Trev Twinem (runner56) | 24 comments Hi all
I would love to have some further information on the e readers as buying one also interest's me. At 54 like a few of us "not so oldies" :) my eyesight is not as good as in my 30's...surprise surprise. I use glasses for driving but not for reading however I find that when reading staring at a printed page with white background can be a little daunting/tiring on my eyes. I suspect if I was to wear a low prescription specs for reading purposes this would help...but of course that means another pair of specs etc. So what I want to know is the ereader easier to read than an average book..can you alter the glare? and I presume you can alter the font size etc. It would be great if it came with a prescription alteration spec!! but as I said I don't use glasses for reading however if it had a "glare" or background alteration mode (if that makes sense) I would be attempted?...what do you think?
Trev T Bristol

Adrienne | 278 comments Hey I agree with you Saad, I've worn glasses for years and have long subscribed to the thought that they hinder not help, thanks for posting the link for the exercises I'm going to give them a try. If helps anyone who doubts this I have a friend who also wears glasses, when he went on holiday to an unpoluted part of the world he forgot his specs and is convinced his eyesight improved, he put it down to clearer air and quality of light so his eyes relaxed.

Andy Bird | 221 comments I also agree with the glasses theory.

I can't decide on a Kindle, i think they are great but i just love a real book.

Adrienne | 278 comments I used to say that Andy, then, I looked at the amount of books I have, considered the amount I wouldn't read again, and taking into account the fact that Kindle books are cheaper, and really the only paper books I want are 'keepers' decided that a Kindle would be the best way to go.

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree. E-readers will never replace books, it's just a new medium for the content. I find for everyday reading the e-reader is more comfortable to hold and is more convenient (especially when I get a Kindle and can download the books direct from the device). In a similar way, I'm not going to get rid of my Times Atlas because I can use Google Earth.

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

I've had my Kindle for a couple of weeks now and I've been keeping some notes on how I have found it. Please see below for those notes (slightly) tidied up.

Packaging
○ Simple
○ Easy to open
○ Device setup ready to go
Device
○ Light and good to hold
○ Buttons well placed
○ Keyboard ok, numbers a pain
○ Page turners are big although there is not one on the bottom of the device which means I can't hold it in the way I would like.
○ Nice finish although my wife thinks it looks cheap compared to the sony.
○ Screen is clear although still with that slightly grey, muddy look.
○ Refresh is far faster than the sony. Barely a pause but still noticeable.
○ Charges from any USB adapter. This is a big plus particularly when travelling as I can use a single plug adapter which has a USB fitting and charge all devices from it (phone, etc.). You can even use the USB port on your Sky box if you want to save space! Sony reader was annoying in that respect in that it would only charge via USB from a PC which meant I had to buy the mains adapter for travelling.
Setup
○ Wifi seems a bit flaky.
○ Wifi doesn't connect to my work network… grrr. Not sure why although the help on Amazon states that it will not connect to 'enterprise networks', whatever that means. Had to enable Wifi hotspot on my phone.
○ Wifi at home. Could not reliably see it until I changed the settings. Could see all the neighbours access points just not the one 5 feet away.
○ Once wifi up and running the sync feature is ace. Can read on laptop and phone from same point on Kindle and vice versa.
○ Once connected, already set to my amazon account
○ Search store and buy book took all of two minutes
Use
○ Dictionary built in, highlight a word and get a definition. Ace. :)
Kindle Store
○ Prices seem pretty reasonable. There does actually seem to be the reduction in price that you would reasonably expect for an electronically distributed item. Pay attention Waterstones.
○ Blockbusters seem very cheap.
○ You can download the first chapter of any book. I think that this is great idea and goes some way to addressing the fact that you cannot 'browse' in an electronic bookshop in the way that you can in a physical one.

Hope this info helps anyone who is currently considering a Kindle reader. I would recommend it. It is most definitely a step forward. It is easier to use than previous models with improvements in performance. The sync to the Amazon store is well done but obviously ties you to Amazon. Overall a nice device to use.

Adrienne | 278 comments Hey thanks for all the info Peter:) Am i rght in thinking you can only buy books from Amazon though? No work arounds out there?

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

I've not tried uploading books in any other manner, no. It does show up as a drive when you hook up to the PC so you should be able to transfer files over. I will have a look.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 21 22