Comfort Reads discussion

General > Heartwarming Suggestions?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 277) (277 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 157 comments Hi everyone! I need a heartwarming book. I just finished Wild Things and loved it, I've also loved the Mitford series, starting with At Home in Mitford by Jan Karon. I think Karon is considered Christian lit, but I enjoy all kinds of books - from mysteries and fantasy to YA and Christian lit. I love the classics too.

Hmm....a heartwarming classic would be nice! I'm looking for something that I can get on audio on CD through the library, which only tend to be the more popular reads and classics.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm open to anything!

message 2: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Matteson | 24 comments I find anything by Rosamund Pilcher heartwarming, especially her volume of short stories, The Blue Bedroom. I'm not sure if it is on audio, but I'm sure that'd be easy to find out!

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 157 comments Thanks Barbara, I'll check!

I just wanted to add also that I've read (and loved) pretty much everything by Jane Austen.

message 4: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Matteson | 24 comments Great! This is off-track a bit, but if you are a Jane Austen fan, I highly recommend Becoming Jane, starring Anne Hathaway as Jane Austen. I'd defintely consider that a heartwarming movie!

message 5: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Rasmussen | 6 comments Saving CeeCee Honeycutt, by Beth Hoffman :)

message 6: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 157 comments Thx Rebecca! This one looks really good, and lots of people on my friends list have loved it.

Another one someone recommended is Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers, which really looks good too.

Keep 'em coming though! I can never read too many books like this. They are just always comforting.

message 7: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Rasmussen | 6 comments Oh I heard Redeeming Love is supposed to be great, too!

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 157 comments Yes! They had that one at the library on cassette. I definitely want to read the other one too tho Rebecca, thanks!

message 9: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 157 comments Barbara wrote: "Great! This is off-track a bit, but if you are a Jane Austen fan, I highly recommend Becoming Jane, starring Anne Hathaway as Jane Austen. I'd defintely consider that a heartwarming movie!"

I wanted to see that movie so badly in theaters, but I guess since the Blockbuster closed I hadn't thought about the DVD - that's a good idea, thanks!

message 10: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Matteson | 24 comments Hi, Laura--you'll love it!! Amazon.com has a great feature--video on demand, and this is available for the rental fee of $1.99! And you get it for 48 hours!

message 11: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 157 comments Do you have to watch it online Barbara? I didn't know they were doing that!

message 12: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Matteson | 24 comments You can either watch it on your computer (which I like to do), or you can buy a special cord of some type,to attach to your TV. I think it's pretty cool.

message 13: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 375 comments For classics, I love anything by LM Montgomery Anne of Green Gables and Louisa May Alcott's Little Women. A few recently published books that I thought were heartwarming were The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society and Summer at Tiffany.

message 14: by Manybooks (last edited Sep 28, 2010 11:52AM) (new)

Manybooks Kathryn wrote: "For classics, I love anything by LM Montgomery Anne of Green Gables and Louisa May Alcott's Little Women. A few recently published books that I thought were heartwarming we..."

Anything by L.M. Montgomery, I second that. And, I find Jane Austen's novels heartwarming. Also, the novel we have been reading in the Children's Literature Group, The Crow-Girl: The Children of Crow Cove was/is very heartwarming and beautifully written.

message 15: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 157 comments Thanks! I loved Guernsey, and the Anne series too Kathryn! I'll have to look up The Crow Girl, Gundula. I love really good childrens books, they can be perfect.

message 16: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 375 comments Laura wrote: "Thanks! I loved Guernsey, and the Anne series too Kathryn! I'll have to look up The Crow Girl, Gundula. I love really good childrens books, they can be perfect."

In that case, do check out The Penderwicks: A Summer Tale of Four Sisters, Two Rabbits, and a Very Interesting Boy which I absolutely adored :-)

message 17: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Laura wrote: "Thanks! I loved Guernsey, and the Anne series too Kathryn! I'll have to look up The Crow Girl, Gundula. I love really good childrens books, they can be perfect."

"The Crow Girl" was absolutely magical, moving, sad, evocative, simply wonderful. And, if you loved Montgomery's Anne series, you should also read the Emily of New Moon series.

message 18: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Barrett (booksandartPamela_Barrett) | 58 comments How about Enslaved by Ducksit's one of my favorites.

message 19: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

Lee (LeeKat) | 3959 comments Mod
Pamela, that looks like a great book! Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

message 20: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 157 comments Thanks for these great suggestions!

message 21: by Tina (last edited Dec 23, 2010 01:50AM) (new)

Tina | 1 comments For classics I would certainly recommend The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck. This book is sad but at the same time it makes me feel better."

The Waves by Virginia Woolf is also another classic i would recommended

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Tina wrote: "For classics I would certainly recommend The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck. This book is sad but at the same time it makes me feel better.""

That's one that I just picked up at a used book sale. So glad to know that it's good!

message 23: by Petra (new)

Petra Tina wrote: "For classics I would certainly recommend The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck. This book is sad but at the same time it makes me feel better.""

I enjoyed this book, too, and am looking forward to reading Sons, the second of the trilogy, soon.

message 24: by Maria (new)

Maria | 115 comments Tina wrote: "For classics I would certainly recommend The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck. This book is sad but at the same time it makes me feel better.""

I am reading The Good Earth right now. I am thoroughly enjoying it. It is easy to see why it is a classic. The character O-lan is wonderful and will stay with me for a long time.

Krista, Ambassador of Shimmy (FindYourShimmy) | 112 comments You may also enjoy The Jane Austen Book Club. To be fair, I think it's only appropriate to let you know I saw the movie and have the book on my TBR list. Loved the movie and found it very heartwarming. Hoping the read is just as pleasurable.

message 26: by Laura (last edited Nov 25, 2011 03:09PM) (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 157 comments Thanks Krista, I've tried that in the past and didn't connect with it, but it could've been bad timing.

I should try The Good Earth again....sometimes the books you are assigned in high school just don't get a fair shake the first time through.

Krista, Ambassador of Shimmy (FindYourShimmy) | 112 comments Good call, Laura. I think sometimes the books we're "assigned" in high school are not as great because they were "required" reading rather than something we're able to just explore and love on our own. Something about being graded on our interpretation of symbolism and such just takes away from the magic of being transported into another world with new characters. At least, that's how was for me. :o)

message 28: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (Stewartry) Elizabeth Goudge is wonderful for comfort/heartwarming books. She's probably long out of print, so libraries might be the best bet, but she's worth it. Miss Read is another in a similar vein.

message 29: by Mike (new)

Mike Meyer | 45 comments If you are in the mood for a great contemporary romance, then Anna McIntyre's LESSONS is tailor made for you.
http://www.amazon.com/Lessons-The-Cou...

message 30: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 157 comments Sometimes I don't receive the GR notifications and miss updates here, but all the posts are greatly appreciated, so thank you all for helping! :)

message 31: by Becky (new)

Becky (ebab) Are you looking for romance, spiritual?

message 32: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 157 comments I'm open to everything, Becky. I prefer books in which an older person mentors someone younger, but I like mystery, fantasy, YA, historical, classics, gothic, pretty much everything.

message 33: by Diane (new)

Diane  (DianeDJ) Laura, I haven't read this book yet, but it's next for me and friends that are reading it, love it, especially to start the new year: Following Atticus: Forty-Eight High Peaks, One Little Dog, and an Extraordinary Friendship

message 34: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 157 comments Thanks, Diane. :)

message 35: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Have you read the James Herriot books? Whenever I need a pick-me-up, I either reread the Anne of Green Gables series or the James Herriot books (watching the BBC series is also wonderful).

message 36: by Laura (last edited Jan 07, 2013 05:53AM) (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 157 comments I've read both, Gundula. Not all of them, though, so that is a great idea. They are both really good comfort reads.

message 37: by Diane (new)

Diane  (DianeDJ) Great suggestion with James Herriot, Gundula!

message 38: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Diane D. wrote: "Great suggestion with James Herriot, Gundula!"

Both the books and the TV series are major comfort reads/watches for me.

message 39: by Becky (new)

Becky (ebab) Just finished "Twelfth Child" by Bette Lee Crosby. The Twelfth Child by Bette Lee Crosby
I have read other books by Bette Lee Crosby and I am never disappointed. I love her style of writing. I enjoy how she takes the time so you get to know each character intimately. Each character in the book is strong and engaging. Abigail is a strong, independent character that I loved very much. The character of Destiny is one of true compassion, honesty and spunk. She was so amuzing. A wonderful heartwarming, fun and lovely book. More tha 5 stars for this one. Definetely recommend.

message 40: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 157 comments Thanks Becky, I'll check that out!

message 41: by Becky (new)

Becky (ebab) "Deep In The Heart" by Staci Stallings bookcover:Deep in the Heart|13607002]was the most heartwarming, powerful book for me.It is a Christian Romance. I bought it after reading it on my Kindle. Was a great book for me.

message 42: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) Try Shadow Song by Terry Kay if you like a story about soul mates.

message 43: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 157 comments It's neat that people continue to comment here. Thanks!

message 44: by Becky (new)

Becky (ebab) Johnnie Irish had a horrible childhood and has been running from it in a very destructive way. Becoming a famous comedic, handsome actor, he can hide his past and pain. Beyond his better judgement, Johnnie agrees to go back to his hometown for their Homecoming Parade. Johnnie does not want to let down his audience by showing nothing but his "true" image as bad boy. Maggie Mayfield is a young widow who has made Hope her hometown. She is a school teacher and in charge of the drama department for the community. She voted against having this man in the parade. And her vote was right. But as the story continues, Maggie can see past Johnnie and his antics and see's a funny, vulnerable man. I really enjoyed this book. It was funny, sad, heartwarming and the characters were very well defined and believable. I have always enjoyed books by this author, and this will be added to them.

message 45: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 157 comments Which book are you referring to, Becky? Thanks for your suggestion.

message 46: by Becky (new)

Becky (ebab) Laura wrote: "Which book are you referring to, Becky? Thanks for your suggestion."

Sorry. I don't know why it didn't copy correctly. "Last Summer" by Theresa Weir

message 47: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 157 comments Gotcha. Thanks.

message 48: by Becky (new)

Becky (ebab) Just finished "When Love Awaits" by Joanna Lindsey When Love Awaits by Johanna Lindsey
This historic romance is like others. How the independent woman character finds that things are not always as they seem and breaks down the walls and heart of the male character. I really enjoyed this story, the intrigue and romance. I love historic romances and I have always enjoyed her writings. It's a good book to curl up with after a long day and escape to romance and love.

message 49: by Becky (new)

Becky (ebab) Just finished in paperback, "Stealing Home" the first in the series of The Sweet Magnolia's by Sherryl Woods. Stealing Home (The Sweet Magnolias #1) by Sherryl Woods The are Maddie's lifeline.
This is a very sweet story about trials and tribulations in family and friend ship. Can't wait to read the next in the series. 4 stars

message 50: by Becky (new)

Becky (ebab) Just finished "Anything You Ask" by Lynn Kellan on Kindle Anything You Ask by Lynn Kellan A sweet, easy romantic story. I enjoyed it very much. See my review under this book/ 5 stars.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

At Home in Mitford (other topics)
Wild Things (other topics)
Redeeming Love (other topics)
Little Women (other topics)
Summer at Tiffany (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jan Karon (other topics)
Francine Rivers (other topics)