Historical Fictionistas discussion

Recommendations? > Eleanor of Aquitane

Comments (showing 1-16 of 16) (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Cody | 4 comments Hello. My name is Cody and I am new to this forum. This has probably been discussed somewhere before, but I am interested in reading more about Eleanor of Aquitane. I just re-watched The Lion in Winter and would really like to know more about such a remarkable woman. Thank you for your help!

message 2: by Hannah (last edited Aug 20, 2010 08:34AM) (new)

Hannah (harshmallow) | 144 comments Eleanor of Aquitaine has become this year's it-girl in historical fiction. The first book that comes to mind is Captive Queen: A Novel of Eleanor of Aquitaine by Alison Weir but it hasn't been well-reviewed. There's also The Secret Eleanor by Cecelia Holland.

Cody | 4 comments Thank you,Hannah - I appreciate your help!

readinghearts (Lyn M) (lsmeadows) When I click on Hannah's Alison Weird link it comes up with Jean Plaidy?? I think the author of Captive Queen is Alison Wier? And she is correct, that one has not gotten good reviews. However, the same author wrote a non-fiction biography of Eleanor titled: Eleanor of Aquitaine: A Life which has gotten pretty good reviews. I have read several of her non-fiction books and they are usually pretty good.

Cody - Some of the best books about Elinore of Aquitaine are the classics by Sharon Kay Penman, here is a list:

When Christ and His Saints Slept
Time and Chance
Devil's Brood

Another one from years ago that I have read and loved is:

Eleanor the Queen by Norah Lofts

Cody | 4 comments Thank you Lyn M. I just discovered the Penman series. I think this is where I will begin! Thank you for your help!

Hannah (harshmallow) | 144 comments I fixed the 'Weird' link. XD

Joyce Moore | 77 comments Cody: I scrolled down to leave a message about Penman's books, but I see someone's already done it. Her research is masterful. I was lucky enough to hear her speak at a writers conference. I was hooked when I read When Christ and His Saints Slept.

Cody | 4 comments Joyce wrote: "Cody: I scrolled down to leave a message about Penman's books, but I see someone's already done it. Her research is masterful. I was lucky enough to hear her speak at a writers conference. I was ho..."

Thank you, Joyce. I just ordered that book from the book swap page. Can't wait to get it!

Lisa Yarde (lyarde11751) One of the best I have ever read on Eleanor of Aquitane is Pamela Kaufman's The Book of Eleanor.

Kate Quinn | 626 comments It's a slightly different take on Eleanor, but try the Susan Howatch book Penmarric. Howatch does a clever trick here - technically the book is about three generations of a Cornish family at the turn of the century. But the characters are based 100% on historical figures: Mark and Janna are Henry II and Eleanor of Aquitaine, and their story point for point follows history, just transmuted into a different setting.

readinghearts (Lyn M) (lsmeadows) Kate - That is one of my favorites, but I never realized it was Henry and Eleanor, lol. I am such a loser. Now that I know, I will have to read it again.

Kate Quinn | 626 comments She does the same -thing with "Wheel of Fortune." Tells a story from the POV of an adrenaline junkie, his frivolous wife, his strait-laced brother, his effete son and tortured nephew, and finally his forceful grand-nephew. It corresponds perfectly to the Black Prince of Wales, Joan of Kent, John of Gaunt, Richard II, Henry IV, and Henry V. It's a gimmick, but a clever one.

readinghearts (Lyn M) (lsmeadows) I have never read that one, Kate. I may have to get it and see. Do you think it is worth it?

Kate Quinn | 626 comments I admit I didn't like Penmarric as much, but I think "Wheel of Fortune" is excellent. I like the Plantagenets, so it's fascinating to see what they are in the 20th century.

Ellie (mrsmaccas11) I was actually named after Eleanor of Acquitaine. I have read several of the books listed above just to understand all about her.

Melissa (RockStarNinja) | 218 comments Kate wrote: "It's a slightly different take on Eleanor, but try the Susan Howatch book Penmarric. Howatch does a clever trick here - technically the book is about three generations of a Cornish f..."

That is a totally interesting gimmick and I think I'll have to pick up these books by Susan Howatch.