100 Books Challenge discussion

A Living Nightmare (Cirque Du Freak, #1)
This topic is about A Living Nightmare
Book Talk (may contain spoilers) > Cirque du Freak - Darren Shan

Comments (showing 1-12 of 12) (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nicolle | 343 comments Mod
This is the first of the series by Darren shan and I perosnally thought it was great. It is an easy read and very entertaining, with so many different characters.

message 2: by Andrez (last edited Sep 07, 2010 01:48PM) (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) i agree. it was very original too-in terms of vampires, i mean

Yes, he slept in a coffin! (thought the movie was really terrible though)

message 4: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) I havent seen the movie but why is it so bad?

It is not much like the books, and loads of tings have changed. Also I think it is a bit fake and not at all how I imagined it should be.

message 6: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) hmm i dont like it when they change lots of things

me either, it's what makes books to movies suck, though they didn't change much in Twilight and that still turned out to be a suckish movie. :P

message 8: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) lol yeah but the special effects were kind of lame

Shakira Robinson | 1 comments Stray wrote: "I havent seen the movie but why is it so bad?"

the movie is bad because if anyone who has read all or even some of the books you would all know that only a FULL vampire could flit, heal with spit, breathe knock out gas etc, but in the movie he is half but had full powers, also, characters have been added and the movie maker has put people dating people they are not meant to be dating ... i mean comon guys, a monkey girl that is not even mentioned even once in the book?.... i reast my long paragraph of a case...just read and you will agree that the film has dissappointed at least 79% of readers including myself.

To avoid disappointment now I take films as completely separate to books. Ignore similar titles and any 'based on the book' signs and I find I enjoy films more this way as I am not expecting anything. It also helps if you've read the book ages ago and memory of details isn't so sharp I guess.

message 11: by Wickedshizuku (last edited Apr 10, 2014 11:13PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wickedshizuku Read to the end of book 12. Anyone let me know if you cry your eyes out too. I'll be here with a kleenex.
I'm a big fan of the books, but for some reason I loved the movie just as much. I saw it first, and then sought out the books. John C. Riley in a semi-serious role just gave me pure enjoyment. Then the introduction of many many new actors at the time while mixing veteran actors was nice. Fun soundtrack as well. I never would have found the Fratellies otherwise.

message 12: by Wickedshizuku (last edited Apr 10, 2014 11:17PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wickedshizuku Darren Shan's other series The Demonata is also a great read. Here's the links.Lord Loss Lord Loss (The Demonata, #1) by Darren Shan
Grubbs Grady is my hero!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Lord Loss (other topics)