Quilt, Read, Eat, Sleep.... What Else Is There? discussion

Introduce Yourself! > New here

Comments (showing 122-171)    post a comment »

Catherine Memory Lane is similar to Cozy - a bit more fabric to choose from now. Nice owner. Her daughter is doing long arm quilting in the store. I haven't tried the other stores in the area but one of these days I'll check them out.

Tanya | 89 comments The Country Loft is my favorite! I love primitive quilts, wool felt, and embroidery, so it is usually my first stop. Rosie's overwhelms me, too big and not much service...Cozy Quilts is ok, but pretty run of the mill. What is Memory Lane like?

Catherine There are many great quilt stores in San Diego. Rosie's Calico Cupboard has an amazing inventory at great prices. I love to go to the "fat quarters anonymous" gatherings and the strip club" at Cozy Quilts in Rancho San Diego. I work in La Mesa so walk over to the Country Loft at lunch. They have a lot of wools and supplies for primitive quilts. I love to look at everything in their shop. The store closest to my house is Memory Lane Quilt Shop. They just moved from Santee to El Cajon and have expanded their shop. Have fun visiting.

message 168: by Judy (new)

Judy Iliff (JudyI) | 301 comments Mod
Welcome to the group Catherine! I lived in San Diego from 1970-June of 1972. I absolutely love that city! I hope you'll go to the "A Thread of Truth" thread. I don't think there's been much discussion, yet, but we'll get there eventually!

message 167: by Tanya (last edited Jul 06, 2011 07:43AM) (new)

Tanya | 89 comments Hi Catherine, welcome! I am a San Diego native, but I moved to Colorado 6 years ago...I have a trip planned to visit in August and can't wait to hit the quilt shops--which ones are your favorites?

Catherine Hi,
My name is Catherine and I live in the San Diego.
I was logging in "a thread of truth" and saw this group. Quilting and reading - my two favorite things to do.

Sandy H (sandyquiltz) Diane, I'm a follower too! I've dabbled in art quilting a little but haven't built any confidence around it yet. I have fun playing, though!

Diane (magnolia_threads) | 17 comments I appreciate all the nice compliments about my quilting and the blogs. You are all very kind!

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 92 comments Diane your blogs are gorgeous . Will look forward to staying with them.

Kathryn (KathrynH) Diane so happy to have you. Your story is so very touching. Your quilting is beautiful, a joy for you I can tell. Please enter in our fun discussions when you can and share with us from your vast knowlege base.

I'm just learning all about blogs. See our June thread. I've signed up for your blog updates. It's such fun to know what everyone is up to these days.

message 161: by Judy (new)

Your quilts are beautiful, Diane! I'm particularly impressed by the machine quilting!

Diane (magnolia_threads) | 17 comments Thank you, Elizabeth

Elizabeth wrote: "Lots of fun on this site, new ideas, and of course always need for new fabric. Welcome."

Diane (magnolia_threads) | 17 comments Thank you Judy! I do not get to visit with my friends a lot,so online groups are wonderful company when I have some extra time.
I learned to make traditional quilts the really old fashioned way when I was nine years old...using a treadle machine and handstitching. I really enjoy traditional quilts, but do not have the time for making bed-size quilts now.
I am enjoying smaller projects which I can finish in a short time, such as days instead of weeks.
Most of my quilting machines and supplies are in storage, but I do have two machines set up most of the times here.
A few of my things are on these blogs, which mostly duplicate. I had a huge website and blog for years which crashed last year, so now I use two different blog sites so if one "dies" the other will be there :)

http://magnoliathreads.wordpress.com
http://dianedoodles.blogspot.com
I need to update my blogs, but mom has been recovering from eye surgery the past few weeks, so I have let the blogs slide.
I enjoy to work with batiks & hand-dyed fabrics. They are wonderful for pictorial or landscape quilts.

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 92 comments Lots of fun on this site, new ideas, and of course always need for new fabric. Welcome.

message 157: by Judy (new)

Welcome to the group, Diane. Perhaps we can offer you a bit of a reprieve now and again. I admire you for tending to your mom. My dad had some kind dementia. I didn't have to care for him, though, as he went into assisted living.

Are you quilts on the internet anywhere? If so, do you have links to them? I'd love to see them. I admire art quilts; I have no desire, however, to make one. I like the traditional blocks with modern or batik, mostly batik, fabrics.

Diane (magnolia_threads) | 17 comments Greetings! I just found this group and had to smile as I decided to join. Books and Quilting....aaahhhh, such great escapes and good therapies :)
I am 50 something, A wife, a mother, a granny, a caregiver to my mom w/Alzheimer's, mom to fur babies standard Schnauzer-Katie Lou and Yorkie-Poo Muffin.

I am an art quilter and love to dream up fantasy quilt designs, usually during reading a very good book. I am thrilled to have had several of my quilts published in different magazines,and send many of my accepted quilts out on tour with different exhibits/shows.
I recently moved from my home in MS to live with my mom on her 40 acre farm in Ar.
I am learning....Find a bit of joy in each day...it is there, but some days hides from me a bit.

It is wonderful to listen to audiobooks as my machine humms away and later to open the Nook Color and read.
Enjoy the day!

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 92 comments Going to try one of Ryan McKenn's bird house kits and see how it goes. I want to hand applique and not sure about how that will work. Neat that the lite and Bond is already on them and all. Anyone tried it with hand stitching?

Kathryn (KathrynH) Eleanor Burns is somewhat a staple in the quilting world. The name of her company is Quilt in a Day http://www.quiltinaday.com/. She does very traditional blocks and designs and has figured out easier ways to make them. I've met her a couple of times and she is such fun.

message 153: by Judy (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 12 comments Kathryn, I guess I'm going to have to show my ignorance, I'm not sure who Eleanor Burns is. (blush)

I learned how to do it that way from Better Homes & Gardens quilting handbook (which is excellent, BTW). It is complete with step-by-step directions and has every way on earth to quilt something. Complete Guide to Quilting (Better Homes and Gardens Creative Collection) by Better Homes and Gardens

Kathryn (KathrynH) Judy wrote: "Love both Connecting Threads and Keepsake Quilting! I keep all the catalogs from both of them because they have such beautiful stuff.

Double applique sounds like a lot of work but I've found it ..."

Isn't that the way Eleanor Burns does it?

message 151: by Judy (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 12 comments Love both Connecting Threads and Keepsake Quilting! I keep all the catalogs from both of them because they have such beautiful stuff.

Double applique sounds like a lot of work but I've found it to be less than the traditional methods. Say you have a fat quarter. You trace the design on the back of it. Then grab a piece of interfacing (or equivalent) pin to the fat quarter right sides facing each other. Sew along the trace line. Trim 1/4 inch from your sew line. Cut a slit in the interfacing only and turn right side out and iron. You then can trim off any additional interfacing you don't want. I usually leave about an inch depending on how big the applique is. The interfacing saves all the hassle of trying to iron little applique designs. This method is almost impossible to screw up so its good for me because I'm not a terribly experienced seamstress or quilter like the rest of you. :-)

message 150: by Judy (new)

A great quilt shop, owned by my friend Julie Owens, is Big Horn Quilts. She has great selections and great prices. The shipping is also very reasonable. My friend Bonnie Hunter has a blog called Quiltville's Quips and Snips. She has recently publish a couple of books, too.

Kathryn (KathrynH) Not seen Block a day blog before - I like it and will follow for awhile and see what I think....

Sandy H (sandyquiltz) Are there any quilty blogs I don't follow, is the question! I read a lot of them. Block-a-day is one of my favorites--she has fantastic photography. And I also think I've probably shopped from most of the big-name online fabric shops and a lot of the smaller ones. Hancocks of Paducah (different from Hancock Fabrics) is probably my favorite in terms of selection, but they can tend to sell out quickly so you have to be willing to put stuff on backorder if you're serious about it. Keepsake, Connecting Threads, Fat Quarter Shop, and eQuilter are all great sites, too.

Speaking of McKenna Ryan, I bought several coordinates from one of her lines of fabric, "Willow," when I was on quilt retreat last month and we did a quick shop-stop at an area shop that I'd never been to before. The shop was great, and the McKenna Ryan fabric was GOR-GEOUS! We hung it up on one of the design walls on retreat after we got back so everyone else could enjoy it too. No idea how I'm going to use it yet, but I occasionally pull it off my shelf and pet it.

Hey, Kit--nice to "meet" you! Sympathies about the broken machine!

Kathryn (KathrynH) I simple adore Fat Quarter Shop. I've just recently signed up for their newsletters and my oh my do they offer some fabulous things.

I've also gotten into some wonderful blogs that I am now following:

Loft Creations
Make Life Sweeter (Sweetwater) I so want to order their Intersection pattern.
Modern Quilt Relish (these two designers are in their 50s like me and have such a fresh vibrant look)
Ribbon Candy Quilt Company (I just ordered their Summer Skinny patterns)
Riley Blake Designs (a very new fabric company and I think they are so wonderful)
Squash House Quilts
I'm Just a Guy Who Quilts

Do any of you follow any blogs?

Nancy (NancyU) | 33 comments So dangerous exploring new online quilt shops first thing in the morning. 'Til now, I've only shopped from eQuilter or Fat Quarter Shop. I love all those coordinated fabric medleys in Keepsake Quilting. And although I've heard of Connecting Threads before, I never took a good look at it. Kathryn, the BOM Calendar companion looks great!

Kathryn (KathrynH) Another great website for books, patterns and fabric is Connecting Threads. I'm doing their block of the month.

I adore Keepsake Quilting. Tons of ideas and inspiration there!

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 92 comments Did everyone see the Mc Kenna Ryan patterns in Keepsake Quilting? Gorgeous.

message 143: by Kit (new)

Kit Judy & Kathryn-Thanks, I not very talented. I was taught by my Granny, Mom, and 2 Aunties. So my appliques are pretty crude, too. I don't use paper peicing style (I think that is what it's called). When my Aunties passed away I inherited their left overs and some patterns. (Patterns in the sense that someone had pieced a block for them. Both of my aunts worked at shirt factories in their younger years; they kept in touch with the owners and were able to buy the remnants (sold by the box). So I have tons of scrap pieces-just the right size for such items as butterflies, etc. to applique and large pieces 8 to 12 inch blocks to applique onto.

What's the double applique method-is there a book? I do a blind stitch or simple emboidery stitch. I haven't experimented much. This seems to work best for my Sunbonnet Babies. I can add lace, etc to dress them up.

I have Georgia Bonesteels, "Lap Quilting," and several books with applique patterns for holiday quilts. I mostly pick up magazines when I see a pattern that catches my eye.

I quess one of my favorite blocks is the nine patch. I think is so versitile-quick and easy for a would be quilter. Also since my handquilting is very un-refined, its easy to do a simple machine quilt.

I have fallen in love with Keepsakequilting.com. I have a few quilting stencils, etc.

I have a few fat quarters I've pick up-when I find an unique pattern or color. Usually I plan on a color scheme and purchase for a particular theme.

I guess most of you are seasoned quilters?!? Any one belong to a quild or quilting circle?

message 142: by Judy (new)

Welcome to the group, Kit! I'm sure you'll find lots of inspiration and suggestions for both books and quilting here. If you want to participate in the fat quarter exchange, let me know so I can add you to the list. You can also just go to the fat quarter thread and leave a message there.

message 141: by Judy (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 12 comments Hi Kit,

I learned how to applique using the double applique method about a year ago. Now I love it.

Do you have a favorite method?

Kathryn (KathrynH) Joy, Janice and Kit WELCOME!! Very fun to have new members.

So, so sad to have a broken machine. Hopefully it is in the sewing machine hospital getting better.

I'm don't applique in the traditional sense, I do raw edge applique and it's on the whimsical side. A Critter Christmas by Brandywine Designs was a huge hit at our store last fall. It is adorable. Bunny Hill Designs has some wonderful applique patterns as well. Let us know what you find.

Joy and Kit what kind of quilt patterns do you like? We'd love to have you participate in our fat quarter exchange...

message 139: by Kit (new)

Kit Hi Everyone! I'm Kit from KY. I have a broken machine at the moment so I'm not working on anything. I am looking around for patterns, though. Would love to have some new, unique applique patterns to work on. I have some Sunbonnet baby patterns and butterflies. Need more ideas to use up all the small pieces in my stash. Also, I'm looking for a pattern that might be Victorian in style of angels. I would like to applique something with doilies and possibly ribbon embordery. Any suggestions would be helpful.

In the meantime, I am reading mysteries, history, Middle Eastern, and Sci-Fi. I plan on heading to the library tomorrow to find "Single Thread."

Happy stitching everyone!!

Janice (JaMaSc) Judy Judy... reminds me of a song. :) Thanks for the welcome.

message 137: by Judy (new)

Welcome to the group, Janice. I think you'll enjoy being here with us.

Janice (JaMaSc) Thanks Judy. I recognise you from "You're Really Going to Love This One..." :)

message 135: by Judy (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 12 comments Hi Janice and welcome!

Janice (JaMaSc) Hi fellow quilters and readers. :) I've been on goodreads for almost a year now and never realized there was a quilters' group on it. It didn't even occur to me to do a search either. I'm looking forward to discussions that involve books, quilting, and books about quilting with everyone. :)

message 133: by Judy (new)

Sandy wrote: "I just got home from a road trip in which I caught up on listening to some quilty podcasts and wanted to let you know that Jackie Kunkel's most recent episode (Jackie's Quilting Chronicles) had a r..."

That's the book I'm reading now! Cool! I'm going to the link you gave so I can hear the podcast. Thanks!

message 132: by Sandy (last edited Jun 01, 2011 05:16PM) (new)

Sandy H (sandyquiltz) I just got home from a road trip in which I caught up on listening to some quilty podcasts and wanted to let you know that Jackie Kunkel's most recent episode (Jackie's Quilting Chronicles) had a really enjoyable interview with author Marie Bostwick. Marie's newest Cobbled Court novel, Threading the Needle, was just released.

Thanks to this group, I've added at least five more books to my "to-read" shelf!

message 131: by Judy (new)

Welcome to the group, Joy! I know you'll enjoy it here. :-)

message 130: by Joy (new)

Joy | 10 comments Hi, Joy from Mesquite, TX, and new to the group. I am a music teacher (flute), reader, quilter, animal lover, and Memaw to 4 beautiful grandsons. This particular group sounded like a good one to bring all of my passions together!

Favorite reads include historical/biographical, good non-fictions, Harry Potter, Jane Austen, Toni Morrison, Odd Thomas, and occassional breaks to enjoy a really good trashy novel!

Nancy (NancyU) | 33 comments Sandy, thanks for your great suggestions. Seems I'm going on a wild podcast hunt today! I'm curious how one "listens" to quilt talk. I always thought that was something you had to view!

Judy, wish I could read non-fiction and learn from it, but as yet, I haven't honed that skill. That's not to say I don't buy non-fiction hoping it'll impart it's wisdom w/o me cracking its cover!

My current books are Fiction and Lighter Fiction - Scott Turow's Ordinary Heroes (on iPod) and P.G. Wodehouse's The Man with Two Left Feet and Other Stories (on paper).

Sandy H (sandyquiltz) Nancy says, "I'll have to try looking for podcasts. It does get frustrating losing little details of a story while you have to think, made decisions, follow directions ... Are there podcast directories?"

Well, let's see (sheepishly said, since that's not the reason I made that comment)--you could start with mine, LOL. www.quiltingfortherestofus.com or on iTunes. There are a bunch of us that are all in one community on BigTent--www.BigTent.com (we're all in the "Quiltcast Supergroup"). Pat Sloan has a page on Facebook where she collects lists of things related to quilting and podcasts are on one page. Or you can just go to iTunes and search for "quilt" and you'll come up with a bunch. But you have to scroll way down to get all of them, and some folks only posted a handful of episodes and pod-faded.

You could also feel free to send me a message and I could send you a direct list with links to all the ones I'm aware of and listen to. For readers, you may be particularly interested in "Off-Kilter Quilt" which is hosted by Frances Dowell, author (although she doesn't focus on her books, just her quilting); and "Crafty Garden Mom" by Tanesha, who is a book purchaser and includes book reviews in each of her episodes. She's the one that turned me onto Moloka'i. There are a bunch of quilty podcasts out there and I'd love to help you find them!

message 127: by Judy (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 12 comments Who knew there were so many quilting readers out there? I, too, am reading Moloka'i by Alan Brennert Moloka'i by Alan Brennert and read The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot last year and thought it was one of the best non-fiction books I've read.

I'm usually reading both a fiction and non-fiction book concurrently -- something to learn from and something to relax with,... :-)

Nancy (NancyU) | 33 comments I'll have to try looking for podcasts. It does get frustrating losing little details of a story while you have to think, made decisions, follow directions ... Are there podcast directories?

Sandy H (sandyquiltz) Yay! More people to talk to about reading and quilting! Can you get any better than that?

I can't listen to audiobooks while I quilt--I find I have too many problems keeping track of where I am when I stop and start. Rather, I listen to lots of podcasts--quilt-related, NPR, Stuff You Should Know, etc. Those are generally about as long as I can sit at my machine at one time so they work well. Reading-wise, I am about 10% into Moloka'i by Alan Brennert based on a review I heard in Tanesah's "Crafty Garden Mom" podcast, and really loving it.

message 124: by Judy (new)

Hmmm. Maybe I'm misreading the comment/member list thing. I do know, however, that I've never welcomed Eithne and I'm pretty sure I haven't welcomed Barb.

Wel do have, however, 63 members! Woot! Woot! :-)

message 123: by Judy (new)

Here's another from Barb posted in February:

Hello everyone....I'm new and really not much of a quilter...but an avid reader! I just brought home Blakes' Selected Poems and Greeting Cards Galore. I am currently reading Mr Pettigrew's Last Stand......a Brit lit Fiction!

Welcome Barb!

message 122: by Judy (new)

I'm copying and pasting a comment/introduction made by Eithne in January. I'm not sure how she did it, but no one can respond to the message. Oh, well, here it is.

"Hi All

I'm glad to have found this group. I've been quilting for 15 years. Like Dawn I work mostly by hand and although it takes me much longer I still really enjoy it. I do some work by machine but not as much.

I'm always looking for quilting related books such as textile quilt history or mysterys, just finished The Lover's Knot It was good. The mystery was a bit light but I still really liked it.

Anyway nice to meet you all "

Welcome Eithne!

« previous 1 3 4

Quilt, Read, Eat, Sleep.... What Else Is There?

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Girl Who Chased the Moon (other topics)
An Exact Replica of a Figment of My Imagination (other topics)
The Wet Nurse's Tale (other topics)
Await Your Reply (other topics)
The Lover's Knot (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Gayle Forman (other topics)
T.C. Boyle (other topics)
Marie Bostwick (other topics)