Goodreads Feedback discussion

Announcements > listopia redesigned a third time

Comments (showing 1-26 of 26) (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael, Problems Architect (new)

Michael Economy (michaeleconomy) | 1976 comments Mod
OK, its really not a redesign, but i did change it a bit, let me know what you think. I'm still working on the slowness problem.

Cindy (Newtomato) | 389 comments Thanks for fixing the bug I mentioned. And I love that we can vote from the main list page. Thank you for your hard work!

new_user | 447 comments Love it! Esp. the autosave.

Laura | 47 comments Thanks, Michael. I added a book to a list.

I noticed that the cast-my-votes button is gone, just by voting the book was added to my-votes-list - which I like. However, the book shows on my votes list, but not on the all votes list.

Laura | 47 comments Wait. It's there if I leave the list and then go back in to it.

Laura | 47 comments I love the fact that if I click a book title to leave the list so I can read the synopsis - when I click the back button on the browser, I am returned to exactly the location and view of the list that I had when I left. (It just takes a while to reload - depending on the size of the list).

Out-of-curiosity: Have you all debated having floating synopsis triggered by hovering over book cover pictures (ala Netflix)? This, of course, coming from a non-programmer with no context of difficulty or system requirements.

Lobstergirl | 4459 comments I really like that when you're voting off your own shelves, it tells you what number you just voted for (e.g. 21st on your list).

However, it is a little strange that when you get to the end of a page of your own shelved books, and you click to the next page, it takes you to the bottom of the next page rather than the top.

Caroline | 128 comments Thanks, Michael! I was happy to see that it auto-saves my votes now and doesn't seemingly "force" me to invite friends to vote on a list. I really didn't like that second page where it suggested you inviting friends, because at first it felt required in order to confirm my votes.

Laura | 47 comments Small quirk: when you search to add a book to the list, the 2nd book is identified as '2th'

message 10: by Michael, Problems Architect (new)

Laura wrote: "Out-of-curiosity: Have you all debated having floating synopsis triggered by hovering over book cover pictures (ala Netflix)? This, of course, coming from a non-programmer with no context of difficulty or system requirements. ."

We're acutally trying soething like that out on http://www.goodreads.com/review/stats/73

What do you think?

Lobstergirl wrote: "However, it is a little strange that when you get to the end of a page of your own shelved books, and you click to the next page, it takes you to the bottom of the next page rather than the top. "

I might experiment with this, I think that does indeed sound better.

Laura wrote: "Small quirk: when you search to add a book to the list, the 2nd book is identified as '2th'"

Yuck, I'll look at that.

message 11: by rivka, librarian moderator (new)

rivka | 11207 comments Mod
MICHAEL wrote: "What do you think?"

>_<

Getting the little "loading" icon a lot. But remember, I'm the one who dislikes hovering synopses (on Netflix or anywhere else).

new_user | 447 comments I like it, long as everything stays speedy. :D

Moderatrix Lori  (ModeratrixLori) | 432 comments I'd like to mention again how nice it would be if we had an option to create author lists so when someone wants to create a "Best new authors of 2010", they can add a link to the author's page and not be forced to add a book. If they have multiple books, the author sometimes gets added to the list more than once.

Thanks!

message 14: by Michael, Problems Architect (new)

We'll get to that eventually. I really wish i would have done both book/authors from the beginning because going back and adding it after the fact isn't as easy.

Moderatrix Lori  (ModeratrixLori) | 432 comments Thanks Michael. I first suggested it awhile ago but my post probably got lost in the shuffle. You've done a great job :)

message 16: by Michael, Problems Architect (new)

We've had it on the todo list for over a year now. You're not being ignored. :)

Moderatrix Lori  (ModeratrixLori) | 432 comments MICHAEL wrote: "We've had it on the todo list for over a year now. You're not being ignored. :)"

Well that's good to know. I'd hate to be ignored :)

Laura | 47 comments I like the hovering synopsis test. Great time saver - particularly on listopia or award listings since i generlly want to see what a books about before adding it to my shelves.

message 19: by Jan (last edited Aug 14, 2010 09:59AM) (new)

Jan (janoda) | 596 comments I wasn't exactly active before the overhauls, so I can't see the difference, but I'm a big fan of the feature. I have 3 minor remarks.

1. When editing http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/12... (I wanted to add a tag) it gave an error: "Creator user can't be blank". I believe this is because the creator of this list is a deleted account. However, since the lists of that kind of creators should be the ones that can definitely be edited/maintained by librarians, this seems contraproductive to me.

2. I find it terribly frustrating that there isn't an easy way to go to Listopia or My Lists (Books - Popular Lists). It seems to me that a lists link in the explore drop down menu would be nice.

3. I think it might be nice to be able select lists to add them to your profile (there's a difference between a list you have an opinion on, and a list you want to see others their opinion on and log the changes on). So maybe a follow this list option (like joining a group) might be nice.

All in all, lovely feature!

FlibBityFLooB | 33 comments I noticed when voting yesterday from my shelves that when I voted for a book from my shelf that was a different edition than the one already on the list, it allowed me to vote for the book twice. This happened ona bout 10 books that I was voting for.

Does a different edition of the same book count as a separate item? I would think that it would combine it with the edition that already has votes in the list.

Dori (adorible) | 266 comments FlibBityFLooB wrote: "Does a different edition of the same book count as a separate item? I would think that it would combine it with the edition that already has votes in the list."

I believe this is the case. I can see reasons for this, such as best audiobooks where one may want to vote for more than one version (for example, two different versions of Harry Potter-Jim Dale as the narrator Stephen Fry as the narrator.) Or possibly for different versions because of illustrations...If the list should not have duplicates, a librarian (and I'm assuming the list creator) can edit the list. There is an option there to check for duplicates.

Stray (andrez-ssi) | 39 comments its better now

message 23: by Michael, Problems Architect (new)

THansk for the feedback.

Jan: 1) was indeed a bug should be fixed soon.

Tara Chevrestt | 77 comments Michael.. I don't know what's going on with listopia but I can't even use it anymore.. Every since it was changed or re designed, it takes FOREVER for a list to pop up. I can't even add books to lists I have already voted on.. Just loads and loads and loads. Personally, I like the old listopia better. No offense. LOL

Everything else on goodreads is loading up fabulously and no computer problems here.

message 25: by Michael, Problems Architect (new)

Tara: Sorry for the slowness, we're working on some things to address that!

Tara Chevrestt | 77 comments Thanks, Michael. I haven't noticed it anywhere else on the website.

unread topics | mark unread