Graywolf Press discussion

Weekend Reads > Weekend Reads 7/30/10

Comments (showing 1-6 of 6) (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marisa, Moderator (new)

Marisa Atkinson (totesmarisa) | 244 comments Mod
Time to report on your weekend reads! This weekend I'm insanely unfocused and am fluttering back and forth between The Thing Around Your Neck by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Everything Is Going to Be Great: An Underfunded and Overexposed European Grand Tour by Rachel Shukert, The True Memoirs of Little K by Adrienne Sharp, and an early finished copy of the amazing The Report by Jessica Francis Kane. Wonder if I'll be able to finish them all?

What about you?

message 2: by Justin (new)

Justin Smith | 1 comments I'm reading Out Stealing Horses by Per Petterson.

message 3: by Belle (new)

Belle Boggs | 4 comments That is a long list, Marisa! Yesterday I read Atul Gawande's devastating, important "Letting Go" in this week's New Yorker--it's about end-of-life medical practice and hospice care, and I think everyone should read it. Today I'm going to read (but probably not finish) _A Home on the Field_ by Paul Cuadros, which I'm looking forward to teaching in the fall.

message 4: by Marisa, Moderator (last edited Aug 01, 2010 10:27AM) (new)

Marisa Atkinson (totesmarisa) | 244 comments Mod
@Justin - Is this your first time reading Out Stealing Horses ?

@Belle - Welcome to the group! That's quite heavy reading for the weekend, but important reading to be sure. Thanks for the rec!

Note to everyone: The above Belle is the lovely Belle Boggs, author of the outstanding story collection Mattaponi Queen , just published by Graywolf this spring (and our August Book Club selection!). Make sure to follow her if you aren't already as she's also the author of many insightful blog posts and is extremely well-read (my TBR pile has grown significantly thanks to her recommendations!).

message 5: by Belle (new)

Belle Boggs | 4 comments Well, I'm blushing, Marisa--and right back at you. I look forward to hearing your reviews of your weekend reads! @Justin, I loved Out Stealing Horses. It reminded me (in a good way) of one my very favorite books, So Long, See You Tomorrow, by William Maxwell.

message 6: by Jill (new)

Jill | 10 comments Belle -- I, too, read Letting Go and agree, it's an important article. Out Stealing Horses was great; just finished his latest, I Curse The River of Time.

For me, I'm finishing up Zoe Ferraris' new book, City of Veils, which is amazing.